test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

5/27/13 Auction House Offline / Midnight Maintenance (5/28/13 00:00 Pacific Time)

Comments

• deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have 2 60s, and I've probably spent close to $600 on this game to date. And I'd walk away tomorrow if they wiped my characters to level 1. Just saying.
  • realpureshadowrealpureshadow Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    That's no more an exploit than posting items with a minimum bid of 25 AD or less to avoid paying posting fees. In fact, what you posted is the remedy to people posting low minimum bids. I posted during the last time the AH went down that the real question was, "How many people will learn from this experience and stop posting minimum bids that are lower than they are willing to accept?" The answer is clearly not all of them. Maybe this time they will learn. How many times do you have to get burned in a fire before you stop putting your hand in it? Smart people do it once at the most. Not every MMORPG player is smart.

That's stupid logic. People that post items and don't play for awhile don't even know they got ripped off. God forbid players don't sit there 24/7 checking on ah items. In your smart player regard, smart players would read forums and not get ripped off in the first place. Take it a step further smart players wouldn't play a broken game.
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mystralz wrote: »
    Hey dezstravus.
    Another Critical problem that needs to be handled asap is people abusing the report spam thing. Apparently it only takes 20 people to report spam falsely and that mutes people for 24 hours. This feature is completely and utterly obsurd to trust in the hands of gamers. If you don't understand what the problem is go play league of legends for a couple games and listen to the hostile immature chatter that never ends. On top of that a mere 20 is just a ridiculously low number. Handle your problem with real active gms or your just creating a bigger problem. A functioning company learns quick that it doesn't have the time to baby sit its community.

Using real active GM's would be babysitting the community. Letting us police ourselves is not babysitting us. That is why the current system works so well. When people learn to use zone chat only rarely (as it ideally should be used) then we have a good system. Many players seem to need several 24 hour chat bans to learn this lesson.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, I just log out and wait when this happens. I don't have the space to play more than an hour without running out of space and, frankly, I don't think I should have to buy more bag space just to make sure I can play while the auction house is down (again) without losing out on auction access/profits.

No offense, PWE/Cryptic, I know you're doing your best... but given how eager many are to exploit currency and auction systems, I'd like to think the auction house and currency mechanics get much closer and skeptical testing than it seems they do at present.

In fact, it would be comforting to hear that your QA team is specifically building MIS-use test cases for duping, forms of currency and entry manipulation, validation on all player-entered fields (rules for submission), etc. I know it's more work, but this really needs to be done. You cannot afford to have too many more of these, seriously; no, not even in an open beta. The loss of confidence is increasing exponentially with each one.

Thanks for the update.

i'm here to tell you bro... that even with additional bags YOUR INVENTORY WILL STILL GET FULL. :)

so who's not playing until this is corrected?
  • xraal1xraal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    noyouwont wrote: »
    Just great. All my Auctions are resolving in the next half hour and you guys pulled it off like 2-3 hours ago. All my bids are stuck at <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because no one bids til the last hour anyways so I just got man-handedly screwed out of literally hundreds of thousands of AD. Thanks. You guys are amazing as always. Love you.

Yeah... all because Neverwinter revolves around you...

It's just pixels on a screen... get a perspective... yeesh...
  • realpureshadowrealpureshadow Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    I kinda stopped playing as much with these exploits. GF's were soloing dungeons with 1shot kills made bank. Infinite chests looting. Winning everything on AH. There are rich people from these exploits.

Players like me that just do dungeons and sell stuff barely make anything, especially if your a broken class no one wants to take. As a GWF i'm least picked to do dungeons when u can take TR's with mad damage for bosses and CW's that just knock mobs off edges for instant death. So the only people left playing this game are gonna be CW, clerics, TR's, and rich people that exploited.
  • purpleorbespurpleorbes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 186 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I dont understand how this happened in the first place since it was JUST fixed a week ago. Did someone mess up or is it just bad luck?
    Not to mention If you actually take the time to submit a ticket when something goes wrong you wont hear back from them, and if you do hear back from them its an automated email saying your original ticket is to old and if the problem persist submit another ticket and then the cycle repeats.... I made a ticket the second day and still no real response. Very frustrating cryptic, hire more people...Im available.
    edited May 2013
    hurbvon wrote: »
    Really? If they told you, hey, we gave you all your zen back... so you have an account sitting with all that currency, you would just let it sit?

And it takes about 2 to 3 weeks, taking your time, to level to 60... Let's not act like it is EQ1 and they are rolling back 2 years of work.

The fun of a game is the journey to the level cap. Once you get to the level cap you stick around mostly because of all the effort you have already put into the game. If they wipe you, there is no reason to play again because you already had all the fun there was to be had and now all that is left is repeating the same boring content. You may as well start a new game at that point.

To answer your question, some people would come back, some would never return, and some, in an attempt to get back the money they spent, would log in just long enough to sell their Zen/astral diamonds to third party websites so they could get at least some of their money back. Quite a few people would fall into the latter two categories. The question is whether these people outnumber the ones that would quit without a wipe.

The people that want a wipe are mostly the ones that are overly competitive. A PvE game is a cooperative game. We are all on the same team and there is no need for competition. Some people cannot shake the need to compete and so do so even when it is not appropriate (such as trying to do the most damage in a dungeon even if it means using strategies that are less likely to make the group successfully complete the content). Overly competitive people are harmful to the PvE side of an MMO (they are fine in PvP). The more of them that quit, the more pleasant the community becomes.

I know you are upset about the loss of value of AD. Welcome to the club. Now you know how the rest of us felt when we learned the designers planned to ruin the economy by giving people that bought founders packs huge amounts of AD before the game even began. Instead of having a fresh economy where everyone could afford to by things the economy was immediately inflated by all the idiots that had 600k to 2 million AD and did not appreciate their value so they purchased things for way too much. Because of these people Zen started trading for 350-500 AD instead of the 50-100 that is normal when these games first come out. I remember how easy it was for me to get all my inventory and bank upgrades in the first month of PWI because no one started the game with a million coin. This game was designed to have a terribly inflated economy from day one and now you are getting to experience the effects of it too. Welcome to the club.
    edited May 2013
    That's stupid logic. People that post items and don't play for awhile don't even know they got ripped off. God forbid players don't sit there 24/7 checking on ah items. In your smart player regard, smart players would read forums and not get ripped off in the first place. Take it a step further smart players wouldn't play a broken game.

When you talk about people getting ripped off are you talking about people that paid posting fees and had their auctions end with no one bidding on them (and thus lost their posting fees) or are you talking about people that posted for very low minimum bids and had someone buy them for that price? My post was about the latter group. I can understand if you feel that the former group got ripped off (and it is unfortunate) but the latter group was not ripped off at all. They simply sold the item for an amount that was within the price range they posted it for. My post was about people learning this lesson and tightening up that price range so they don't end up with very small successful bids in the future.
  • ctdummy80ctdummy80 Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear about this circumstance. I wish that we were able to change this behavior, but unfortunately it is how the system works at this particular time. We will do our best to minimize occurrences of this in the future. Thanks for your patience and support while we work out the issues that were escalated today.

Stop blowing smoke up our asses. "I wish that we were able to change this behavior"--- Bull****. If you wanted to change the behavior you could. It's called programming, because you program the application to do what you want it to do. The necessity of a rollback or wipe was understandable, but the fact that you screwed people's auctions over in the process was just idiotic the first time it happened and to have it happen twice is imbecilic. Instead of letting people's auctions expire, freeze the expiration time or cancel all the auctions and mail the items back. After the first rollback, developing a way to properly handle this situation should have been priority one.

You don't have to thank me because I was through with patience and support when I found out how frequently the previous issue with the AH was brought PWE's attention and it was just ignored until it got out of hand. Not to mention that suddenly the terms "Soft Launch" were reverted back to "Open Beta" because of the severity of the issue even though PWE is more than happy to accept real money transactions. I especially liked the part where the fact that the game was marked as released on the PWE website was referred to as a "Known Issue."

If you want to be empathetic towards the situation do something about it and stop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over the people supporting the game.
  • shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why do I continue to see posts on this forum of people that don't understand that if your auction sells you get your posting fee back, hell it even says it if you scroll over posting fee(I believe.) There is absolutely no benefit to a lower starting bid than you're willing to accept unless you plan on taking down your auction if no one bids, but if you put that low starting bid why would you assume no one would bid at that low price.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • killerellakillerella Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In the end, open beta is still beta, whether they take money or not. Yes, its sux when there are problems, but I'm glad they are at least finding these issues now, while the game "is" still in beta. Everybody should know what they are getting into when they create a character on any beta status game. While its nice to be the 1st players in the game, just don't forget that risk comes with that privilege, and it was "you" that signed up for it. The best that we can do is to have patience, and try to help them find all the exploits/hacks, and report all the problems/bugs we can find.

Seriously, if I was Ross Perot, I'd just buy pizza and beer/soda for everyone, especially the cryptic team. It would probably go a long way to calm everyone down so we can all just get back to fun gaming and just let the devs try their best to fix all this stuff. BTW, someone else would have to buy the cookies :D
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Thanks for voicing your concerns! This is valid feedback and we are aware of it. Very sorry to hear if you were muted unfairly. Our current response in regards to the automated chat mute system is here in our extended FAQ.

Dez, unfortunately the FAQ offers no help. It is an unfair situation. The problem is that you have not put a Trade Channel or a Group Channel in game. The queue system is broken so people often have to look for groups in Zone chat. Some of these people are getting silenced. Same with selling things. Some people do not want to use the AH because they are willing to sell for cheap to get an immediate sale, or they want to sell for gold, rather than AD. 24 hour silence makes it difficult for people to play and is unfair when they have done nothing wrong other than engage in activities that supplement the game.
    edited May 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    Dez, unfortunately the FAQ offers no help. It is an unfair situation. The problem is that you have not put a Trade Channel or a Group Channel in game. The queue system is broken so people often have to look for groups in Zone chat. Some of these people are getting silenced. Same with selling things. Some people do not want to use the AH because they are willing to sell for cheap to get an immediate sale, or they want to sell for gold, rather than AD. 24 hour silence makes it difficult for people to play and is unfair when they have done nothing wrong other than engage in activities that supplement the game.

A trade channel would be awesome.
  • methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game isn't in Beta...... it's got so many problems, bugs, exploits and broken features, it's more like an in-house ALPHA they forced onto the public. If I were on the Cryptic Development team, I would be wholly embarrassed.....
  • basement12basement12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    we better get a rollback...ppl have been doing this with enchants and keys....why you think theres thousands of phoeras out there now
  • losse1losse1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its really a shame that this game will suffer hard because of this, because I really like it. But me liking it wont fix it for the masses :(
    "The sum of the whole is this: walk and be happy; walk and be healthy. The best way to lengthen out our days is to walk steadily and with a purpose." -Charles Dickens
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    methuselas wrote: »
    This game isn't in Beta...... it's got so many problems, bugs, exploits and broken features, it's more like an in-house ALPHA they forced onto the public. If I were on the Cryptic Development team, I would be wholly embarrassed.....

Cryptic Development team... I am wondering when we are going to get the announcement that Mr. Emmert is moving on to greener pastures. :rolleyes:
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
    edited May 2013
    basement12 wrote: »
    we better get a rollback...ppl have been doing this with enchants and keys....why you think theres thousands of phoeras out there now

What are you talking about? People have been buying the keys and selling them for ad that people made. The items you are seeing in large quantities were farmed. As far as I know the only issue they are addressing is related to the level requirement on some items showing up incorrectly.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    killerella wrote: »
    Seriously, if I was Ross Perot, I'd just buy pizza and beer/soda for everyone, especially the cryptic team. It would probably go a long way to calm everyone down so we can all just get back to fun gaming and just let the devs try their best to fix all this stuff. BTW, someone else would have to buy the cookies :D

This bunch?

No way. They would find something about the free pizza and drinks to complain about and just get even more riled up.

But Cryptic, seriously... This ain't your first rodeo.
    Call it beta all that you want, but it's real money that people have spent/are spending. Money that you are happily accepting.

Getting to be time to stop hiding behind the 'beta' shield and to get this stuff fixed.
    edited May 2013
    The next person who brings up the open beta over soft launch debate (be it player,mod or a developer themself) slap the stupid sob with this link: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/19/massively-exclusive-neverwinter-pre-launch-interview-part-one/

Why did the lead producer say nothing to the contrary when he was was asked a question about the upcoming "Soft Launch?"
    Because it was a soft launch you nitwits!
  • warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still no ETA or anything on the AH?
    edited May 2013
    This bunch?

No way. They would find something about the free pizza and drinks to complain about and just get even more riled up.

hmmm... <scratches head> ...well ok then, Xanax for everyone! ;)
  • grimmaldigrimmaldi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    abeloth99 wrote: »
    Hey all ... to those that are cranky.

What is BETA???

When a new product, such as a software program, is created or upgraded, there are several stages in development before the manufacturer sells it commercially. The first stage is an "alpha" version, in which software testers within the company test and debug a program as necessary. A "beta" version is the name for the second stage, in which it is often released for free or at a reduced price to a group of external users for additional testing. Websites also commonly go through this phase during development, to see how well they function for a large user base.

Restrictions or Limitations

Although the beta version of software might include much of its functionality, it is not usually meant as a commercial product. Companies might be allowed to use a graphics program in beta, for example, to create new images or products, but they cannot sell what they create unless they pay for a commercial license. Computer games, especially online games, often go through beta testing to find bugs and ensure it will function properly at release. While people can usually play in these tests for free, once the testing is over, they have to pay for the commercial release of the game to play it again.

Technical Support

Products in beta often have limited, if any, technical support available to users. This can be frustrating for some people, but is a consequence of the fact that the product has not yet released commercially. Since users are not paying for the program, frustration based on poor customer service is usually forgiven as bugs and errors disappear with each patch or update. Some products remain a beta version for years, during which time they may be used by a wide audience as if they were full versions.

Usage in Website Development

A beta version can also refer to a website that is made available to test its features and gain audience feedback. During this time, certain features might not function properly. This process is often used to ensure compatibility between the code for the site and different web browsers and computer systems. Beta version sites are frequently first placed on secret domains that are only available to their test audience, before being transferred to their real domains for public viewing and use.

Origin and Other Usage

The word "beta" comes from the second letter in the Greek alphabet and originated with early hardware tests for International Business Machines (IBM) computers. It has entered common usage, especially among frequent computer users. "Beta version" is often applied as a slang term to refer to any product or service that seems unready for mainstream release, especially as a criticism for something sold commercially.

Purpose and Different Types

The beta version of a software release is considered to be a preview; though it may include many standard features, it is not yet ready for wide release or sale. During this phase, the developers collect feedback from users about the product's functionality, including what they like and what should be changed before its wide release. A beta version of a program can be either "closed," which is limited to a specific group of users, or "open," which is available to the general public. During this testing, developers might release numerous versions of a program, including improvements and bug fixes with each iteration.

If you spent "REAL" money ... you did it knowing the game was in BETA.

Take a breath, they are working on it.

Abeloth

I've alpha or beta tested games since 1997 and they've all ended with a wipe prior to actual launch. I'm still hoping Cryptic decides that, even though they have stated a wipe wouldn't be implemented, a complete wipe is necessary for the integrity of the game.

My family has multiple accounts, characters, and time invested and we full support a wipe for a better game at launch.
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    killerella wrote: »
    hmmm... <scratches head> ...well ok then, Xanax for everyone! ;)

Who needs Xanax when you've got Ritalin!!! huzzah!
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • pestilence149pestilence149 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Atleast you guys can log in, it seems Cryptic is punishing anyone and everyone who sold enchants and banned them anyways while they are investigating I assume. So consider yourself lucky than you can play, because I farm legitly while professions is on and sell everything I make and collect and now I'm banned and can't even play or log onto the forums with my computer because I am IP banned as well, GG not to mention this is a completely unjustified ban, I am a level 60 Wizard who plays 12 hours a day running delves and finally beat Castle Never, this is how you reward me? By kicking me off the game with not even an email or explanation anywhere of what the heck is going on? Now that is terrible customer service, just made me make the decision of never spending another rl penny. I have donated 100$ for you guys to update every other weekend, take down the auction house, then ban me for no reason other then using the auction house which you provide me to use ( with a horrendous price cut ) you better justify this pretty dang quickly or you'll never see another contribution from me again.
    Foundry Missions ;
    By ; @pestilence149
    Gladiators of Dhara (Easy) & (Hard)
    ELIGIBLE FOR THE DAILY FOUNDRY REWARDS!
    Search by Best : Name/Summary/Short-Code ; Gladiators
    NW-DJJS7OWZI (For easy)
    NW-DPT9I8RKF (For hard)

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome please enjoy!
    edited May 2013
    grimmaldi wrote: »
    I've alpha or beta tested games since 1997 and they've all ended with a wipe prior to actual launch. I'm still hoping Cryptic decides that, even though they have stated a wipe wouldn't be implemented, a complete wipe is necessary for the integrity of the game.

My family has multiple accounts, characters, and time invested and we full support a wipe for a better game at launch.
    I think the majority of the legitimate players support a full wipe. Unfortunately with this lot it wouldn't be likely even if they hadn't said they wouldn't wipe, because either way they would need to refund money or zen to players who made purchases and I don't think they have the slightest inclination to do so.
  • noppe102noppe102 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A duping exploit of stackable items has been proven to exist.
  • gsnaitsgsnaits Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    grimmaldi wrote: »

Say what you want. Not everyone can afford to lose all the money spent on the game. I have myself supported the game by buying Zen equal to what a retail game costs. If they decide to wipe, they gonna have to do a refund. I am not gonna say "go ahead and wipe all the stuff I bought for 70$, when I have been plyaying for two weeks". That is wrong. They gonna have to do a wipe at some point, I fully agree, but I am not supporting money spent to be lost forever. Money back or fill up my Zen wallet with what I bought in the first place so I can spend it again.

It's clearly NOT beta, if you haven't figured it out yet. Wiping everything now without some form of refund would create more problems than it solves, belive me.
  • infexominfexom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dear Devs:

Wipe it. **** near all of us support a wipe. You have records of the money we spent, so just give us all that back in zen, wipe us, and start the game with a beautiful launch. You guys are trying to "save" what you have now, and still make money but what you fail to understand that is if you do not wipe us, seriously, A LOT of your player base will leave. We are pretty patient, understanding that this is a beta... soft launch... whatever, but when it is the actual launch date and all this stuff has not been fixed, you will see patience levels drop VERY quickly, FTP or not.

There are issues all over the place. PVE PVP and the action house. Guys are using tricks from a decade ago to get past your coding, and that is just unacceptable in this age of MMO. Maybe you guys didn't think this game would be successful, or maybe you didn't realize the common expectations of gamers, but we really hope you get your act together. To bring down the servers to fix an AH exploit, just to bring them up again and within days, bring them down again due to an AH exploit... guys, really?

We all know cheaters exist. They have been in MMO's since the beginning of MMO's. It sucks, but it's a fact. However, you guys, which I assume are part of a multi-million dollar company, should be able to outsmart, or at least keep up with the latest cheating methods in regards to YOUR coding. Put some real, determined effort into it because from what we see as a community, you sit back collecting our cash, until an exploit becomes too big to ignore. It's disheartening to say the least.

As a side note, please invest in PvP. Give us SOMETHING to enjoy besides a 25K glory cap, and some lame a** blue item as a reward. If nothing else, at the very least give us the ability to track our K:D! Give us ranks... something. It doesn't have to be monetary benefits, but jesus guys, a title and a record doesn't touch the economy at all.

You made a game, now it's time to think like gamers.