test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you have a problem with the current community policing? (24h Mute)

keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
ranncore wrote: »
It's true that it can be abused, but the benefits are worth the risks.
Perfectly succinct.
==============================================

Do you have a problem with the current system? I don't. Personal view. I hate spam. I hate going into Protector's Enclave because of the spam there. I'm glad a system exists to mute people who are spamming 5 lines of nonsense, or trying to sell things in Zone chat.

I've said a lot of obnoxious things in zones before. People put me on ignore for this I imagine. (Maybe not) But I've not been muted for chatting, and really expected to.

This said, if anyone should have been muted once or twice, I'm a candidate, and I didn't. So frankly, it's being used responsibly. I wasn't selling anything in Zone, so I didn't get muted.

If anyone has a legitimate reason for otherwise, feel free to voice it, but from what I've seen, you're a minority. No one is going to back you up but other spammers. You're the telemarketer of the Internet and most of us hate you. It's why you're being muted because we're reporting you as spam.

I think the system is working quite well. If anything, more people need to report spam.

Perhaps more people should be educated about where they are expected to sell things, and how to report spammers who aren't following the expected levels of decorum.
Post edited by keeganfox on

Comments

• Options
    gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Not at all. what I do have a problem with is Chat being nothing but a blur of trades shooting up the screen.
  • Options
    xiolinxiolin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The point is that is abusable. I also talk on the zone chat (never tried to sell anything yet) and haven't been muted. But I think someone said that if around 20 people report you, then you can be muted. The problem here is that there are people who has 20+ alt accounts they use to mute whoever they dont like. It's not just due to spamming or talking in zone only. Some even do it for fun.
    Xilly The Silly Dwarf of Eyrda :P
    Waiting for a cool sig T.T
  • Options
    thequeueballthequeueball Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »
    I don't. Personal view. I hate spam. I hate going into Protector's Enclave because of the spam there. I'm glad a system exists to mute people who are spamming 5 lines of nonsense, or trying to sell things in Zone chat.

I've said a lot of obnoxious things in zones before. People put me on ignore for this I imagine. (Maybe not) But I've not been muted for chatting, and really expected to.

This said, if anyone should have been muted once or twice, I'm a candidate, and I didn't. So frankly, it's being used responsibly. I wasn't selling anything in Zone, so I didn't get muted.

If anyone has a legitimate reason for otherwise, feel free to voice it, but from what I've seen, you're a minority. No one is going to back you up but other spammers. You're the telemarketer of the Internet and most of us hate you. It's why you're being muted because we're reporting you as spam.

I think the system is working quite well. If anything, more people need to report spam.

Perhaps more people should be educated about where they are expected to sell things, and how to report spammers who aren't following the expected levels of decorum.

You make a poll, and put your bias opinion in the first post. Without making it clear how the system works.

Not to mention this "I should have the right to spam people in zone to sell something." Which isn't even the argument. Stop being so dense.

It's NOT about zone ban it's about banning their chat entirely, including guild, party, and whispers. You obviously aren't getting it.

If you're making a fair poll don't be so bias about it. Holy ****.
  • Options
    keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xiolin, in those situations I'd hope some flagging system exists if 20+ reports suddenly come in from the same IP on the same target.

Every system is exploitable, and will need some reasonable enforcement, but by and large this system works well. I'm not saying a certain IP shouldn't be limited on the total number of reports it can fire off against someone in a day, (or at all) I'm saying that the premise behind it is strong and works well. You're harnessing the power of the players to maintain an expected level of behavior.

I'm all for that.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's never affected me, or anyone that I know. I turn Zone chat off as soon as I log in, so I don't have to see the gold spammers and 12 year olds, so it's rare that I'll even be aware that it exists.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You make a poll, and put your bias opinion in the first post.

You're **** right I did. If you want to comment on it and don't like either of the first two options I was unbiased enough to leave an 'other'.

I'm permitted to express my opinion; it's the purpose of the forums. Zone chat is not designed to be spammed. Deal with it.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The system is typical Cryptic. Simple, effective, but wide open to the worst in human nature. Ive played a ton of F2P games and as bad as zone chat in PE can get. It is nothing like the horrors you'll see in other places. So in that regard, its working, even the gold seller spam is minimal, in my opinion.

The abuse issue is the problem. It needs oversight. A muting shouldn't be automatic. It needs to pop up some kind of alert on some CSRs screen and they need to be the one to activate it. A live person, or two, 24 hours a day monitoring things. But sadly that is never going to happen. The system will stay the way it is. Ive learned to tolerate it. Id rather have it, then not have it, But i'm not happy with it.
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's never affected me, or anyone that I know. I turn Zone chat off as soon as I log in, so I don't have to see the gold spammers and 12 year olds, so it's rare that I'll even be aware that it exists.

Robert, aye. I know exactly what you mean. First thing I did when I logged into the game was turn off zone chat. At first I tried to look at it as a 'role playing' mechanism. I turned off player names too. If I just saw someone in town I shouldn't be able to know who they are, and I shouldn't be able to read a 'zone chat'. But later I had to ask questions, and found (mercifully) that other zones aren't as bad. Some good chat in those. So I turn it back on. If I had an option to turn off zone just for Protector's Enclave, I would.

But that's avoidance. We're talking about actively enforcing a spam policy; giving players the power.
  • Options
    bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STEP 1. FIND SOMEONE YOU HATE ON FORUMS
    STEP 2. LOGIN ON MULTIPLE SHARDS AND ADVERTISE PLAYERS @HANDLE SAYING HE NINJAED OR KILLED A KITTEN AND ASK PEOPLE TO REPORT HIM FOR SPAM.
    STEP 3. HE GETS SILENCED
    STEP 4. VOTE THAT THE SYSTEM IS STABLE AND UNEXPLOITABLE

anyone who doesn't have a problem with this is a complete moron like the thread starter.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I voted "I've other feelings [that] I'll express in a post.".

Generally, I feel that this is a good tool and while it can be misused, I believe that all the alternatives are worse than the mostly theoretical risk of abuse. I would, however, be in favor of some tweaks:

- The inability to chat/talk should be limited to the type of channel where most of the ignores were accumulated (e.g. if someone spammed Zone chat, they should be unable to use Zone, but their ability to whisper should not be affected).

- "Ignore" should not lead to chat bans, only "report spam" should.

- Limitation of how many times a player can report spam within a specific time frame.

- Multiple reports from the same IP/MAC address for the same player should be discarded.

But all in all I feel that this is a valuable community tool.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am sure you are one of those guys or probably have 20 accounts and like to have the power to report people that annoy you or whatever.
    Being the little hater you are , you have articulated the polls in such way to sway favor of keeping your power.How low.
  • Options
    bbbthebuildbbbthebuild Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP clearly doesn't grasp the concept of zone chat vs all chat. The report function bans you from everything, not just zone.

You are clearly very stubborn and don't understand basic arguments.

Ban zone, i don't care. But don't take away all forms of communication.
  • Options
    thehighcounselthehighcounsel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    I love how this is worded with very obvious bias, although I agree 100% with the OP.
  • Options
    gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's the punishment PWE have deemed appropriate in all their games for years. You don't like it, try not to have a painful door-derriere incident.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bel1eveee wrote: »
    I am sure you are one of those guys or probably have 20 accounts and like to have the power to report people that annoy you or whatever.
    Being the little hater you are , you have articulated the polls in such way to sway favor of keeping your power.How low.
    STEP 1. FIND SOMEONE YOU HATE ON FORUMS
    STEP 2. LOGIN ON MULTIPLE SHARDS AND ADVERTISE PLAYERS @HANDLE SAYING HE NINJAED OR KILLED A KITTEN AND ASK PEOPLE TO REPORT HIM FOR SPAM.
    STEP 3. HE GETS SILENCED
    STEP 4. VOTE THAT THE SYSTEM IS STABLE AND UNEXPLOITABLE

anyone who doesn't have a problem with this is a complete moron like the thread starter.

I laughed so hard at this.

Clearly I want to keep the system to log into twenty different accounts, one after another, to report a single person for spam. Or, apparently, I want to be able to advertise some guy somewhere bothered me, so I'll try to recruit my own personal army to mute him for a day. Or something. I guess there are people out there with the free time to do that.

It's not that some people claiming I'm doing this for X reason simply want the ability to spam chat with whatever they want and not have any retribution sought against them for behaving like children online. Couldn't be that. Naaah. ;)

Heh. Two words: "Anger Management"
  • Options
    thehighcounselthehighcounsel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    OP clearly doesn't grasp the concept of zone chat vs all chat. The report function bans you from everything, not just zone.

You are clearly very stubborn and don't understand basic arguments.

Ban zone, i don't care. But don't take away all forms of communication.
    Yea this feels like a fair compromise, more than fair actually, as this is how it should be since it is very difficult to group with people that can't chat with you in T2s (although I've never been muted, which is surprising because I chatted in /zone and would expect pricks just to report since they can and there are no repercussions).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I laughed so hard at this.

Is this the best comeback your moronic brain could think of?Hard to find arguments isn't it?
    I bring you irrefutable proof that the system is flawed.Prove me wrong.
  • Options
    yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is the most fail attempt at an unbiased poll in the history of history.

Not voting cause the options are trash. Have fun with that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What I want to know is, what with all us 'haters' having 20 accounts just to persecute the poor little widdums who only want to spam chat, why the voting is so close?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Is this the best comeback your moronic brain could think of?Hard to find arguments isn't it?
    I bring you irrefutable proof that the system is flawed.Prove me wrong.

I don't have to. You're doing a pretty good job making an example of the kind of person who probably gets muted regularly. It's likely why you're so upset.

I'd hand you a shovel to help you dig your own hole, but you already seem to have rented a backhoe. I'll just grab some popcorn and beer.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I bring you irrefutable proof that the system is flawed.

I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

but let me check just to be sure.

Nope 'irrefutable proof' and 'hysterical paranoia' - two totally different meanings. I knew that but it's always better to be safe. Now you wipe the sputum from your monitor and carry on. Popcorn's a-popping and the beer, it's getting warm.
  • Options
    thequeueballthequeueball Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So the options are.....

This system is awsome

Or

I love to spam.

lol..... just lol

that has nothing to do with the argument kid. It's not about removing a feature to block spam. Seriously. It's about removing someone from guild / whispers / party chat.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So the options are.....

This system is awsome

Or

I love to spam.

lol..... just lol

that has nothing to do with the argument kid. It's not about removing a feature to block spam. Seriously. It's about removing someone from guild / whispers / party chat.

Yup, dem the only two options. No third option some have used to express a middle-ground. Newp. That hasn't happened.

Except for the 15% of people where it did happen.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ranncore wrote: »

Perfect. That's going into the first post. Thank you.
  • Options
    bardmedicine11bardmedicine11 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is a good idea, bu too easy to abuse. The solution is so painfully simple...
    When the ignore flag triggers, squelch the account pending GM. A chat box with the accounts last 20? chats pops up on a GM's screen.
    GM hits Squelch or Don't Squelch button. It would take 5 seconds.
    If the ignore was a report spam, the GM can also hit a button (Not Spam) which would flag the accounts who reported spam as abusers. Consequences to be determined (first one or two would be nothing as everyone could just misclick).
  • Options
    bogleparsonsbogleparsons Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you have to break a few eggs to make spammers stfu.....? no thats not right... close enough.
  • Options
    yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yup, dem the only two options. No third option some have used to express a middle-ground. Newp. That hasn't happened.

Except for the 15% of people where it did happen.
    Trolling your own thread? Nice
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It is a good idea, bu too easy to abuse. The solution is so painfully simple...
    When the ignore flag triggers, squelch the account pending GM. A chat box with the accounts last 20? chats pops up on a GM's screen.
    GM hits Squelch or Don't Squelch button. It would take 5 seconds.
    If the ignore was a report spam, the GM can also hit a button (Not Spam) which would flag the accounts who reported spam as abusers. Consequences to be determined (first one or two would be nothing as everyone could just misclick).

I can always be wrong, but I don't believe Cryptic has the man-power to monitor spam abuse 24-7. I know our company doesn't; it's why we make it automated or give users the right to report spam.