test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yet Another Patch I Don't Care For

wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I've got several problems with this game, and none of the recent patches have done anything to fix them. First of all, we all know how the search feature for Foundry missions is broken. Second, placed sounds and music do not work. They said a couple weeks ago they had already identified the problem, and had a fix on the way. I'm beginning to think they were lying to us just to shut us up while they worked on other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by wuhsin on

Comments

• chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the foundry is low on the list. I have many problems with it a major one being town maps, why is it always grass or pre-built? The second one being lack of incentive to play foundry. The third being how samey everything gets after you have run a couple of Cryptic quests.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the foundry is low on the list. I have many problems with it a major one being town maps, why is it always grass or pre-built? The second one being lack of incentive to play foundry. The third being how samey everything gets after you have run a couple of Cryptic quests.

It's not only a lack of incentive, but down-right discouragement. I've been getting flamed ever since I published my two hour quest by players and other authors calling me stupid and crazy for asking them to play it. Why? Because they don't feel they will be rewarded enough for the time they invested. In that time they could blow through eight other dungeons and farm a buttload of loot. Honestly, I understand their frustration, but some of us Foundry authors want to produce deep engaging content, not a shallow puddle of orc blood in a one room map designed for instant gratification.

Unfortunately, until publishers of longer quests get some sort of bonus for all the extra content they produce, we will continue to be shunned unless we give the typical player what he wants with a fifteen minute hack and slash. I'd like to see the reward at the end of my dungeon get a buff, if it takes two hours to get, it should be epic, and you should get a much larger chunk of XP. The devs really need to put a reward timer based on the average duration of the quest. If your quest is fifteen minutes, the chest at the end shouldn't give the same loot as my two hour one that hardly anyone can finish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    It's not only a lack of incentive, but down-right discouragement. I've been getting flamed ever since I published my two hour quest by players and other authors calling me stupid and crazy for asking them to play it. Why? Because they don't feel they will be rewarded enough for the time they invested. In that time they could blow through eight other dungeons and farm a buttload of loot. Honestly, I understand their frustration, but some of us Foundry authors want to produce deep engaging content, not a shallow puddle of orc blood in a one room map designed for instant gratification.

Unfortunately, until publishers of longer quests get some sort of bonus for all the extra content they produce, we will continue to be shunned unless we give the typical player what he wants with a fifteen minute hack and slash. I'd like to see the reward at the end of my dungeon get a buff, if it takes two hours to get, it should be epic, and you should get a much larger chunk of XP. The devs really need to put a reward timer based on the average duration of the quest. If your quest is fifteen minutes, the chest at the end shouldn't give the same loot as my two hour one that hardly anyone can finish.

To play devil's advocate, as things stand I would not play a two hour quest for the reasons you gave. Still playing devil's advocate, if the system does not work for you why not play within the rules and divide your quest up?
    My new quest:

WIP
    edited May 2013
    To play devil's advocate, as things stand I would not play a two hour quest for the reasons you gave. Still playing devil's advocate, if the system does not work for you why not play within the rules and divide your quest up?

The main reason is because the events in one chapter of the story have an affect on another part of the story. It could be done, but I will make an entirely new quest before I even consider attempting it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Regarding the patch. Yea it was another lame patch that fixed nothing I wanted fixed. Like I've said before, I doubt they plan on fixing the Foundry limitations anytime soon due to so much other aspects of the game being pretty broken right now.

As far as creating a 2 hour quest and refusing to divide it into Chapters. Seriously, stop whining about it man you're just venting but it's actually causing less people to want to play it due to the elitist attitude you give off. Either get to work dividing it up or accept that very few people want to play a 2 hour quest due to how Cryptic designed this game and start designing a different quest that appeals to the fact that most people prefer a 15-30 minute quest.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
    edited May 2013
    nokturnel wrote: »
    Regarding the patch. Yea it was another lame patch that fixed nothing I wanted fixed. Like I've said before, I doubt they plan on fixing the Foundry limitations anytime soon due to so much other aspects of the game being pretty broken right now.

As far as creating a 2 hour quest and refusing to divide it into Chapters. Seriously, stop whining about it man you're just venting but it's actually causing less people to want to play it due to the elitist attitude you give off. Either get to work dividing it up or accept that very few people want to play a 2 hour quest due to how Cryptic designed this game and start designing a different quest that appeals to the fact that most people prefer a 15-30 minute quest.

You seem to have missed the part about designing an entirely new quest. I've got no illusions about the size of the audience my two hour quest will appeal to. It would take another week or two to divide it since I'd have to rewrite so much of the story. In that time I can design a new quest to appeal to more players, and keep my "I'm-an-elitist-dooosh-bag-so-you-can't-finish-this-dungeon" in one piece for the sake of the few exploration fans who enjoy it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013

And yes, I share your sentiments regarding the patch. Very lame. The thing is though, they posted a thread claiming to have a fix for the sound issue a couple of weeks ago, and since then the sound has not been fixed. There has been no follow-up on this. Can you say, "Liar liar, pants on fire, hang yer breeches on a wire"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The number of people that use the Foundry that have absolutely no problem with it in it's current state far outweighs the number of people who are peeved by some of the limitations and bugs (and there's not one thing that is at the top of everyones list). The game is open beta so they have far more important issues to tackle right now, such as the Auction House not working properly, which in comparison I'm sure you'll agree a broken trade system is a bit of a game changer.

When you compare something like sounds being broken in the Foundry and a bit of a wonky search feature, but other than minor gripes is still a system that works fine (people can find your quests with your short code or by author, so there IS a search feature of sorts), to something like the Auction house that practically everyone uses, or major boss/questlines that most people are going to go through at some point. You're not going to be happy with 99% of the Patches, because they're not done for the issues of individuals, they're done for the masses.

Second to that we don't know how much work it will require to get sounds and search working... we don't know if they're not already in the process of it. So have some patience and have some faith otherwise you're going to give yourself an ulcer if you get bent out of shape with every unappealing Patch that is coming.
    edited May 2013
    yospeck wrote: »
    The number of people that use the Foundry that have absolutely no problem with it in it's current state far outweighs the number of people who are peeved by some of the limitations and bugs (and there's not one thing that is at the top of everyones list). The game is open beta so they have far more important issues to tackle right now, such as the Auction House not working properly, which in comparison I'm sure you'll agree a broken trade system is a bit of a game changer.

When you compare something like sounds being broken in the Foundry and a bit of a wonky search feature, but other than minor gripes is still a system that works fine (people can find your quests with your short code or by author, so there IS a search feature of sorts), to something like the Auction house that practically everyone uses, or major boss/questlines that most people are going to go through at some point. You're not going to be happy with 99% of the Patches, because they're not done for the issues of individuals, they're done for the masses.

Second to that we don't know how much work it will require to get sounds and search working... we don't know if they're not already in the process of it. So have some patience and have some faith otherwise you're going to give yourself an ulcer if you get bent out of shape with every unappealing Patch that is coming.

The thing is, if they said they have a fix, why have they not implemented it, or made a follow-up post explaining why their fix didn't work? What discourages me is that in fact they are putting Foundry authors at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to patches, yet we're the ones that will be expected to carry the longevity of this game when all the power gamers max out their levels and get the best gear, then quit to play ESO in a few months. They're just trying to make a fast buck off the casual gamers, and basically giving the finger to their really hardcore fans who plan on investing years in this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Far as I've seen search feature works fine with the Short Code, BUT you have to have the "Best" tab selected when you search for something. I've had no trouble looking up my quests or others this way. (the other tabs won't work properly)
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
    edited May 2013
    Far as I've seen search feature works fine with the Short Code, BUT you have to have the "Best" tab selected when you search for something. I've had no trouble looking up my quests or others this way. (the other tabs won't work properly)

I never disputed the fact you can use short-codes, but it is still a pretty crappy way to share maps honestly. I've had to explain to several people that the letters in the short-code for my quest were case sensitive, and which tab they should search in. Most people aren't going to figure it out the first time. I couldn't get it to work myself until someone pointed out to me I had to capitalize the letters and use the best tab. I'm pretty sure that it has costed me reviews, as I constantly get people messaging me or replying to my posts saying "I can't find your quest" and that is a total bummer, having to explain how short-codes work a dozen times a day for plays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    The thing is, if they said they have a fix, why have they not implemented it, or made a follow-up post explaining why their fix didn't work? What discourages me is that in fact they are putting Foundry authors at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to patches, yet we're the ones that will be expected to carry the longevity of this game when all the power gamers max out their levels and get the best gear, then quit to play ESO in a few months. They're just trying to make a fast buck off the casual gamers, and basically giving the finger to their really hardcore fans who plan on investing years in this.

I don't feel at the bottom of the list at all. The game has been in open beta for three weeks, I fully accept that with such a stress test and high volume of players there are a million other things going on that take up their time that we don't even need to know about. I'm pretty sure Cryptic are well aware that they will need the continued involvement of the Foundry authors to give Neverwinter longevity, that doesn't mean we should suddenly become entitled.

Also, take into account that they DID address a Foundry issue:
    Foundry
    • Harper contacts now show the correct average playtime of quests.
    • When talking to Harpers, only projects of the same language as the player will show up by default in the Local search. The Featured search still shows all languages.

So with that they've made searching a little easier, filtering out the quests in languages we don't necessarily know so as to help search for more relevant ones.

Two Weeks Ago
    Foundry
    • Respeccing Foundry Preview characters now properly supports switching classes.
    • The mail sent at level 15 informing players of the Foundry now has URLs for the Foundry forums and the Neverwinter Wiki.
    • The Level 1 spec for all classes has been removed from Preview Mode.
    • The level 10 spec for Great Weapon Fighter now grants items in Preview Mode.
    • The Level 21 spec for all classes now includes a basic mount.

They might not be the issues that YOU have, but they're issues that they're at least addressing, in fact, they've done something with the Foundry every other patch nearly. When you stop seeing Foundry updates in the patchnotes altogether... that's when you should start taking to the forum with your pitchfork and torch.
    edited May 2013
    Funny thing is, I don't even use the Harpers to access Foundry quests. I go to the bulletin board thingy. My toon hangs out in Blacklake, there is a Harper on one side of the gate, and on the other side of the gate there is the bulletin board. Both give out Foundry quests, and I only use the board. I don't know why I avoid Harpers like the plague, but for me it just doesn't feel as good as getting my quest off a board.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    yospeck wrote: »
    I don't feel at the bottom of the list at all. The game has been in open beta for three weeks, I fully accept that with such a stress test and high volume of players there are a million other things going on that take up their time that we don't even need to know about. I'm pretty sure Cryptic are well aware that they will need the continued involvement of the Foundry authors to give Neverwinter longevity, that doesn't mean we should suddenly become entitled.

Also, take into account that they DID address a Foundry issue:

So with that they've made searching a little easier, filtering out the quests in languages we don't necessarily know so as to help search for more relevant ones.

Two Weeks Ago

They might not be the issues that YOU have, but they're issues that they're at least addressing, in fact, they've done something with the Foundry every other patch nearly. When you stop seeing Foundry updates in the patchnotes altogether... that's when you should start taking to the forum with your pitchfork and torch.

Who are we lynching? Can I come?
    My new quest:

WIP
    edited May 2013
    Who are we lynching? Can I come?

I'm lynching the guys in the Foundry sound department for now. Multiplayer online games had working sounds in UGC over a decade ago, sounds you could upload yourself. The fact they can't make the sounds already built in to the game play in UGC is just BS. I don't care what their excuse is anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Also, the sooner fellow Foundry authors get fed up with their BS, and stop justifying it or telling others to "Be patient" the sooner that fatso in charge of sounds will get off his ginormous posterior and copy and paste whatever script has supposedly been e-mailed to him where it belongs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vanlichtensteinvanlichtenstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps everyone should stop treating this game like its gone gold and realize its in beta.
    Which means they are obviously first going to fix all the bugs, and they will do that with the most important first. Which means playability of the main world, storylines, classes, etc.. And then Foundry.

So its going to take a while, but everyone just needs to be patient.
    When the game goes gold and half the stuff still doesnt work, THEN people can start to complain about that.
    edited May 2013
    Also, the sooner fellow Foundry authors get fed up with their BS, and stop justifying it or telling others to "Be patient" the sooner that fatso in charge of sounds will get off his ginormous posterior and copy and paste whatever script has supposedly been e-mailed to him where it belongs.

lol I recently added an NPC to my quest that is my avatar. It answers frequently asked questions most of which tell players that Foundry Authors are being restricting by lack of options due to Cryptic. Hopefully this might spread the word a little seeing as my quest has made the top 30.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    edited May 2013

It's your issue. Not my issue. I don't need to justify anything and honestly I was trying to be polite with your issue and be reasonable with the explanation. My knee-jerk was to tell you to stop being a whinney b****, thinking I should have just gone with that as seemingly you only want to have your little public diatribe.
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps everyone should stop treating this game like its gone gold and realize its in beta.
    Which means they are obviously first going to fix all the bugs, and they will do that with the most important first. Which means playability of the main world, storylines, classes, etc.. And then Foundry.

So its going to take a while, but everyone just needs to be patient.
    When the game goes gold and half the stuff still doesnt work, THEN people can start to complain about that.

In my experience, they fix the problems people complain the loudest about. If no one points out any bugs, if everyone is as complacent as you, the devs will remain unaware of most issues, and have no incentive to actually fix the ones they do know about because their players will be happy with a broken game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    In my experience, they fix the problems people complain the loudest about. If no one points out any bugs, if everyone is as complacent as you, the devs will remain unaware of most issues, and have no incentive to actually fix the ones they do know about because their players will be happy with a broken game.

Sad but true in my experience. More people that complain about an issue, gives Devs more reason to fix it.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    edited May 2013
    Sad but true in my experience. More people that complain about an issue, gives Devs more reason to fix it.

This is a big part of why us Foundry authors aren't getting much attention I think. Most people patient enough to crank out a good quest aren't going to act as hysterical over a bug as the PVPers or Farmers/Merchants. Those guys will post a hundred threads in an hour, each of which with twenty pages of replies, if one of them is just unhappy with a number. If we want any attention, we're going to have to WAY speak louder, because there aren't as many of us, and complacency is not getting us anywhere with the devs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Why? Because they don't feel they will be rewarded enough for the time they invested. In that time they could blow through eight other dungeons and farm a buttload of loot. Honestly, I understand their frustration, but some of us Foundry authors want to produce deep engaging content, not a shallow puddle of orc blood in a one room map designed for instant gratification.

I still need to play your quest, and I will, but the reason why I have not tackled it yet has nothing to do with there not being an adequate game-reward for a two hours adventure. I play foundry quests for the experience, not for the loot or the XP.

My reason, in this case, is that it requires two hours of uninterrupted time. I can't save a foundry quest and continue later (as far as I know), and if I have to answer a call or attend a situation, my character in Neverwinter may well go idle and get disconnected within fifteen minutes. Even without that, I don't want to idle in someone's foundry quest and then drive up the average duration by having spent two out of four hours being AFK.

So, I need two hours of time where I know I won't get distracted, and that time commitment is the actual obstacle, not the absence of a material reward. With the official zone quests you can stop at any time and continue later, and a 15-30 minutes foundry quest is also something that is easy to squeeze in (and if you can't finish it, replaying it later is a small deal).

(But my own situation aside, I do agree that more incentives to play foundry quests would be awesome. Tokens for completing them that could then be exchanged for social clothing (amount of tokens based on average duration), titles for completing X quests of X, XX, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> minutes average length, etc.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited May 2013
    Basically, my point is, Foundry authors need to quit telling each other to be patient, or explaining that we're the dev's last priority, and why we should be totally okay with it. You think PVPers would sit back and be cool with it if the devs buffed rogue damage, and cleric's couldn't heal? You think the merchants would be fine if the AH required you to type in a specific item's short code to find it? Why should we be okay with the fact they broke our sound with a patch, expect us to get by with a gimped search feature, and restrict us on the forum to only advertising our quests to other Foundry authors? I'm sick and tired of the indifference, and the complacency. This is beta, people say. That only gives us more reason to point out flaws and demand a fix. In fact, isn't that our JOB as testers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    I still need to play your quest, and I will, but the reason why I have not tackled it yet has nothing to do with there not being an adequate game-reward for a two hours adventure. I play foundry quests for the experience, not for the loot or the XP.

My reason, in this case, is that it requires two hours of uninterrupted time. I can't save a foundry quest and continue later (as far as I know), and if I have to answer a call or attend a situation, my character in Neverwinter may well go idle and get disconnected within fifteen minutes. Even without that, I don't want to idle in someone's foundry quest and then drive up the average duration by having spent two out of four hours being AFK.

So, I need two hours of time where I know I won't get distracted, and that time commitment is the actual obstacle, not the absence of a material reward. With the official zone quests you can stop at any time and continue later, and a 15-30 minutes foundry quest is also something that is easy to squeeze in (and if you can't finish it, replaying it later is a small deal).

(But my own situation aside, I do agree that more incentives to play foundry quests would be awesome. Tokens for completing them that could then be exchanged for social clothing (amount of tokens based on average duration), titles for completing X quests of X, XX, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> minutes average length, etc.)

Yes, more incentives would be great. I've still got Foundry quests to review myself, but since I'm babysitting this morning I'll probably put it off until I know I won't have to go idle. I'm sorry my quest is so long, to be honest I thought there would be more of a demand for such a thing, I just failed to realize how limited most peoples' time is. My next quest will be much shorter, in order to appease the hungry masses. I will look forward to your review.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Also, I find it very ironic how I, being the most impatient Foundry author on the board, have published what is possibly the longest single quest that few have the time and patience to undertake. You'd think all these guys lecturing me about patience wouldn't be the same ones lecturing me about how my quest is too long. Oh what a tangled web we weave. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Don't apologize for the length of the quest! It's not a bad thing, at all. That's like Umberto Eco apologizing that I have still not finished his Prague Cemetery and instead "have" to sneak in short stories for entertainment!

I believe there is demand for lengthy quests, though with the absence of a good way to continue them later, perhaps splitting campaigns into smaller chapters (as most folks seem to do) is probably the way to go for complex, long adventures. The inability to save and quit a foundry quest and resume later on is a limitation of the game.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • keylord02keylord02 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm honestly dying to play your two hour quest to see if the it lives up to the hype machine, but still need to wait until my work week ends so I'll have the time!

I probably wouldn't have noticed your quest if you hadn't gotten into it with so many people on the forums, proving that there's no such thing as bad publicity. :D
    Tomb of Wernar by @Lya
    Short code: NW-DJGYNI7NH

In this old school-style adventure, the hero(es) explore an old ruined castle while searching for a fabled magic item at the behest of a wizard.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I treat it like Perfect World treats it.
    itslive.jpg
    The website has had that status since May 1.
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Don't apologize for the length of the quest! It's not a bad thing, at all. That's like Umberto Eco apologizing that I have still not finished his Prague Cemetery and instead "have" to sneak in short stories for entertainment!

I believe there is demand for lengthy quests, though with the absence of a good way to continue them later, perhaps splitting campaigns into smaller chapters (as most folks seem to do) is probably the way to go for complex, long adventures. The inability to save and quit a foundry quest and resume later on is a limitation of the game.

I agree campaigns are the best and most popular way to do a larger, more complicated story. It allows you to do a lot, but there's an element of Dungeons & Dragons I feel is missing in a lot of them. And that is, the Dungeon. I mean, a true Dungeon, like the Caverns of Chaos designed by Gary Gygax himself. Take a look at it. There are many rooms and intersecting paths, different levels, you can interact with many of the encounters in ways other than just fighting them. A lot of the tougher ones can be avoided with skills. Basically, a dungeon is deep. A dungeon can have many quests in it, it shouldn't be a small part of a quest. That's how I feel, anyway. Others may have different opinions, and that is fine. Actually, Dragons are pretty much missing too. They should rename this game: Neverwinter Online: Campaigns & Kobolds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]