test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP should be cut from the game and heres why...

Comments

• abandinusabandinus Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    Well they would lose customers. I only play an MMO that offers PvP. Although the PvP in this game is weak and I'm sure I will be bored soon anyway unless they add more PvP content. Just my opinion.
  • callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    tl dr

l2p
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    callmedeux wrote: »
    tl dr

l2p

This is going to be my new canned response to "nerf xxxx, they are OP" threads.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    suroh66 wrote: »
    Op get bent

I'm actually visiting relatives in Denmark at the moment and I just bought a 6 pack of BENT, apparently its a licorice flavored energy drink thats only 50 calories a can.

I don't know how you knew about this but thanks for the advice :D
  • pregnablepregnable Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I agree.

It is time to get rid of pvp and get back to what D&D is all about... $40 mounts.
  • creedgamingcreedgaming Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    A valid point. BUT being a long term D&D player I think in my opinion that PvP has no place here. Remember PvP wont be cut this is all theoretical it just seems to me this game should be the last place for PvP.

Of course many others will think differently.

Assume they cut pvp what the hell are you going to do? The game is so limited , all games are anyways ..... No housing , you really going to keep playing a WoW-esk game where they add 10 levels , 2 zones , 50 quests , and pat you on the head and send you on your way? I know i'd quit immediately.....
  • musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Amusing thread, and the OP is claiming himself as DnD pen and paper long term player... rofl.

You know something what's funny : actually PnP tableboard have alway been way more PvP than any MMORP, even a full PvP oriented one.

You know why ? No you don't. Because players in a PnP tableboard are actually playing against NPC or monsters controlled by the dungeon master, whom is actually another player.

Which means than a MMORPG which should be played as a PnP game should have an admin behind every single mob you beat, NPC you're talking to, making it a full PvP experience.

Funny thread from an obvious stupid ****ty MMO PvE lover.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its Dungeons and Dragons not LOL its all about adventuring as a team I dont even understand why PvP is in this game in the first place >.> The dev time used on PvP could be used to fix stuff like the AH and GWF.

Dont get me wrong I play things like Dota2 and TF2 I like a good player vs player fight now and then but I think its just wasted time here.

Of course this is just my opinion.

I like PVP in this game. It should not be cut. See it's people like you walking around demanding things to be eliminated that have absolutely no effect on you what-so-ever, that ruin perfectly good games. Just because you don't like it you want it removed? What about the people who do like it? Is this game all about you adn what you want or what you think should happen? Are you being forced to play PVP?

Why don't you shut your mouth and enjoy what you can play, and not worry about what you don't have to play.
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A valid point. BUT being a long term D&D player I think in my opinion that PvP has no place here. Remember PvP wont be cut this is all theoretical it just seems to me this game should be the last place for PvP.

Of course many others will think differently.

Let me correct you right there. This isn't D&D it is a D&D THEMED MMO. If you expect this to be like pen & paper you're going to be very disappointed. As a MMO I enjoy it, but I wouldn't go so far as saying this is D&D. I think DDO did a better translation but they even fell short.
    edited May 2013
    Amusing thread, and the OP is claiming himself as DnD pen and paper long term player... rofl.

You know something what's funny : actually PnP tableboard have alway been way more PvP than any MMORP, even a full PvP oriented one.

You know why ? No you don't. Because players in a PnP tableboard are actually playing against NPC or monsters controlled by the dungeon master, whom is actually another player.

Which means than a MMORPG which should be played as a PnP game should have an admin behind every single mob you beat, NPC you're talking to, making it a full PvP experience.

Herself. And yes I've played D&D and Champions since the mid 80's and as the link in a previous post in this thread shows I also PvP in many other MMO's. Players in D&D are not playing against each other but following the story the Dungeon Master is putting out.

This is mostly a PvE experience deal with it but please do carry on with swears and childlike vulgarity , you do know the if reported the mods can see through the " ****ty "
  • pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the OP, PVP is going to ruin this mmo because of the pvp whiners always crying that the other class is more overpowered than theirs.
    Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.
  • musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've organized many tables in which groups of players were competting for fulfilling the same mission, or working against each other.

I think you do know nothing about PnP, you're just an MMO lover, and MMO has nothing to compare with PnP. Moreover DnD has always been more of a rules system which were proposed to be used by players to build their own adventures : meaning certainly not to kill 10 boars to get a leather armor looted on the previously stated boars...

Enjoy your PvE game, but like stated above don't come with your totally fallacious PnP focusing argument to make people agree with you to get ride of PvP. You obviously have no idea what's PnP. You're the childish here, opening an obvious trolling thread against PvP to fuel the infamous PvE/PvP flaming war.
  • xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pednick wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, PVP is going to ruin this mmo because of the pvp whiners always crying that the other class is more overpowered than theirs.

I actually see more whining coming from the pve end of this game rather then the pvp... lol...
  • renegademarshalrenegademarshal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited May 2013
    Do the majority of us a favor and stick to CO and STO. It's a waste for a game with this good of a combat system to not have PvP, and it's beyond childish to want it removed because "it doesn't fit."

Now go back to Rothe Valley, and get back under your bridge.
  • vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    PvP is merely another encounter with competing adventurers that's scripted more realistically. Furthermore, the Head of Vecna.

That being said, PvP is pretty **** organic to some systems like Dark Sun but not if you're playing in the Pathfinder Association etc. It all depends on the setting, the organization, and the DM(s).
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Seriously? it is not PVP simply because the DMs goal isn't to win. If the DM wanted to win the DM would win every time. Its not a level playing field. The DM is a referee more then an opponent. Sure, its player interacting with player. But without the verses part. And PWP sounds odd.

As far as removing PVP, I'm going to agree with Nepht here. But not because i'm against PVP. Ive just seen what Cryptic normally does to PVP in its games. Its both sad and tragic to witness. One only needs to look at how well PVP is doing in CO and STO to know whats going to happen here. Once it gets unfun and difficult for the devs to continue to support. It will be tossed in the corner and neglected until it dies of starvation.
    edited May 2013
    vaeledrin wrote: »
    PvP is merely another encounter with competing adventurers that's scripted more realistically. Furthermore, the Head of Vecna.

That being said, PvP is pretty **** organic to some systems like Dark Sun but not if you're playing in the Pathfinder Association etc. It all depends on the setting, the organization, and the DM(s).

You're wasting your time : those trolls don't even care about the DnD lore, they just want to kill boars.
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Seriously? it is not PVP simply because the DMs goal isn't to win. If the DM wanted to win the DM would win every time. Its not a level playing field. The DM is a referee more then an opponent. Sure, its player interacting with player. But without the verses part. And PWP sounds odd.

I'm sorry but a DM whom does not incarnate his eveil NPC to make them win against the players does not play them well for sure, especially when playing the usual evil neutral master mind. Indeed the difficulty has to match the potential of players but DM should not have to "help" his players to win, orelse it's because he did something wrong with the quest or the campaign.

Please, stick to MMO, and stop coming with highly theorical ideas you got on things you obviously don't know.
    As far as removing PVP, I'm going to agree with Nepht here. But not because i'm against PVP. Ive just seen what Cryptic normally does to PVP in its games. Its both sad and tragic to witness. One only needs to look at how well PVP is doing in CO and STO to know whats going to happen here. Once it gets unfun and difficult for the devs to continue to support. It will be tossed in the corner and neglected until it dies of starvation.

So actually you're asking for PvP to be removed from this game to make PvP likers a favor, is that it ? Pathetic.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First I will state im not a PVPer. I have no love for PVP. However its a functioning non broken part of the game.
    It doesn't interfear with the parts of the game I enjoy, and people like it.

As other people have pointed out. this is not the actual d&d but it is a D&D licenced MMO. So saying remove pvp because its not part of a pen and paper game you might as well remove the Auctionhouse, and the animal pets from classes that don't support animal followers. remove achievements to.... oh yeah and make some dropped gear cursed and require AD to take off...wait that would be kind of cool.

but anyhow this kind of argument is a slippery slope, If its not broken don't fix it. and don't remove it either. as long as it doesn't affect RP or foundry negatively let the pvpers be. (also anyone who thinks pvp is not in D&D has not had a party member try to kill them before.)
    edited May 2013
    First I will state im not a PVPer. I have no love for PVP. However its a functioning non broken part of the game.
    It doesn't interfear with the parts of the game I enjoy, and people like it.

As other people have pointed out. this is not the actual d&d but it is a D&D licenced MMO. So saying remove pvp because its not part of a pen and paper game you might as well remove the Auctionhouse, and the animal pets from classes that don't support animal followers. remove achievements to.... oh yeah and make some dropped gear cursed and require AD to take off...wait that would be kind of cool.

but anyhow this kind of argument is a slippery slope, If its not broken don't fix it. and don't remove it either. as long as it doesn't affect RP or foundry negatively let the pvpers be. (also anyone who thinks pvp is not in D&D has not had a party member try to kill them before.)

Remove AD and zen too.. DnD don't have those... oh.. and when our character dies... we need to create a new one. Oh wait... one of our party member need to sacrifice himself and die just like Ravenloft, oh sux to be him then. We need to add sickness and other malady effects as well... DnD has those.
  • vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Well, the difference is that usually losing means death. PvP in NW has no death whatsoever, same goes for PvE really. So, I wouldn't even say that it is not PvP simply because the DM's goal isn't to win.

That's a separate issue though and speaks more about developer competence and goals.
  • tarkritarkri Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am just wondering, has anyone ever designed a tabletop world that involves PvP? I think it would be kind of neat!

I dont think whiners are exclusive to PvP either. Its a human trait, and is everywhere humans are en masse.
    edited May 2013
    I've organized many tables in which groups of players were competting for fulfilling the same mission, or working against each other.

I think you do know nothing about PnP, you're just an MMO lover, and MMO has nothing to compare with PnP. Moreover DnD has always been more of a rules system which were proposed to be used by players to build their own adventures : meaning certainly not to kill 10 boars to get a leather armor looted on the previously stated boars...

Enjoy your PvE game, but like stated above don't come with your totally fallacious PnP focusing argument to make people agree with you to get ride of PvP. You obviously have no idea what's PnP. You're the childish here, opening an obvious trolling thread against PvP to fuel the infamous PvE/PvP flaming war.

Ive been playing PnP games for at least 25 years now and yes I do love MMO's obviously :)
    I also play a lot of PvP in other MMO's like Forsaken World and LOL , Champions , Rift and STO. I just think PvP doesn't fit here. But thats my opinion. I have fought the corner of the PvPers in other games like when PvP gear was removed from CO.

End of the day thats all it is one persons opinion but if you want to go all NO U over it please continue. Like I've said before devs arnt going to remove PvP because one person said so.
    edited May 2013
    xumina wrote: »
    Remove AD and zen too.. DnD don't have those... oh.. and when our character dies... we need to create a new one. Oh wait... one of our party member need to sacrifice himself and die just like Ravenloft, oh sux to be him then. We need to add sickness and other malady effects as well... DnD has those.

Actually in DnD you can totally be raised by powerful cleric... at a cost of permanant loss of 1 toughness point.
    Like I've said before devs arnt going to remove PvP because one person said so.

no joke
    edited May 2013

So actually you're asking for PvP to be removed from this game to make PvP likers a favor, is that it ? Pathetic.

No, im saying its a poor investment in time and money to do something that ultimately no one is going to like, or enjoy. Cryptic has managed to make PVP all but extinct in two out of three of its games. The complaints from the PVPers about this game are already loud and clear. When those complaints get ignored and the community rebels and leaves. The end result is the same. PVP will end up removed. Or in a state so close as effectively be the same. But only after a lot of anger, expense, and waste.

Seems kinda pointless.
    edited May 2013
    Actually in DnD you can totally be raised by powerful cleric... at a cost of permanant loss of 1 toughness point

Then I stand corrected... oh you died... let's hope a powerful cleric agree to raise you =.=" Assuming there's enough toughness left....
    edited May 2013
    No, im saying its a poor investment in time and money to do something that ultimately no one is going to like, or enjoy. Cryptic has managed to make PVP all but extinct in two out of three of its games. The complaints from the PVPers about this game are already loud and clear. When those complaints get ignored and the community rebels and leaves. The end result is the same. PVP will end up removed. Or in a state so close as effectively be the same. But only after a lot of anger, expense, and waste.

Seems kinda pointless.

I actually kinda like and enjoy the pvp =.= your argument that no one is going to like or enjoy... is henceforth invalid.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    Don't like PvP, then don't PvP?
    /boggle

Well, once can make the argument that having both things (pve & pvp) in one game is to the detriment of both - for one, dev time & focus is split; for two, attempts to "balance" one or the other aspect of the game frequently end up <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over the other. And then there's the arguing between the players on each side.

All in all, the world would be a lot better if pvp games were designed around pvp, and pve games were designed around pve, and the two didn't try to infect the other.

disclaimer: opinion :P
  • xdustedxxdustedx Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried out pvp a few times and didn't really enjoy it. I feel the game was somewhat rushed and should still be in closed beta.
  • naeron1966naeron1966 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Its Dungeons and Dragons not LOL its all about adventuring as a team I dont even understand why PvP is in this game in the first place

Please point out the rule in each version of D&D that did not allow characters to fight other characters.
    edited May 2013
    xumina wrote: »
    I actually kinda like and enjoy the pvp =.= your argument that no one is going to like or enjoy... is henceforth invalid.

I would hope so, this being the honeymoon stage and all. There were countless others in CO and STO who felt the same, in the beginning, as well. Neglect takes time. And in time, they all left.