test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP should be cut from the game and heres why...

nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Its Dungeons and Dragons not LOL its all about adventuring as a team I dont even understand why PvP is in this game in the first place >.> The dev time used on PvP could be used to fix stuff like the AH and GWF.

Dont get me wrong I play things like Dota2 and TF2 I like a good player vs player fight now and then but I think its just wasted time here.

Of course this is just my opinion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• helbjornhelbjorn Member Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh boy, incoming in 3... 2... 1...
  • lipe124lipe124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me reword that for you OP: "Optional features of the game should be removed because I don't care for it."

Really?
    You think the same dev's work on PVP, AH and character skills? How exactly does a fully functional finished OPTIONAL part of the game affect other services that require ongoing attention?

Just wow. /thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lipe124 wrote: »
    Let me reword that for you OP: "Optional features of the game should be removed because I don't care for it."

Really?
    You think the same dev's work on PVP, AH and character skills? How exactly does a fully functional finished OPTIONAL part of the game affect other services that require ongoing attention?

Just wow. /thread.

A valid point. BUT being a long term D&D player I think in my opinion that PvP has no place here. Remember PvP wont be cut this is all theoretical it just seems to me this game should be the last place for PvP.

Of course many others will think differently.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If D&D is all about adventuring as a team then they need to cut the story quests as well. They are all geared to be solo'ed.

I don't think they are spending all that much dev time on PVP.
  • xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You do realise that DnD universe are also divided into warring factions?? If you wanted a PVE only MMORPG... why don't you go play Maplestory like the rest of the Mapletards.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Its Dungeons and Dragons not LOL its all about adventuring as a team I dont even understand why PvP is in this game in the first place >.> The dev time used on PvP could be used to fix stuff like the AH and GWF.

Dont get me wrong I play things like Dota2 and TF2 I like a good player vs player fight now and then but I think its just wasted time here.

This is not DnD. This is not an online representation of a pen and paper RPG. This is an MMO set in the Forgotten Realms universe. I don't mean to be rude, but this should not have to be explained to you. PvP is in this game because PvP is in all competent MMOs.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
    edited May 2013
    xumina wrote: »
    You do realise that DnD universe are also divided into warring factions?? If you wanted a PVE only MMORPG... why don't you go play Maplestory like the rest of the Mapletards.

This isnt something thats going to happen. Dont get all worked up about it. PvP will remain in the game the Devs aint gonna listen to one players opinion. Clannamuir made a very strong case of PvP being relevant to DnD.

Remember I am only stating what I myself think. If you see the pros of why PvP should be in Neverwinter please share ^__^
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why was PvP added? To expand the player base. A pure D&D title might seem too, er, nichey, to generate enough revenue to be viable. That's my theory anyway. I don't disagree, and looking at some of the input in the "Nerf this and that" threads, we can see what kind of expanded player base we're going to get. That's the problem when you have to try to "balance" classes for both, you either nerf them into uselessness, or leave people claiming that one aspect or the other of the game doesn't matter. GWFs anyone? It's a rock and a hard place at this juncture, since PvP has been included, and is purely optional. I'm not sure I'll even bother with it myself, since I, as the OP, feel it's not needed for a D&D title.

IMO, they should balance the game for PvE. Yes, I'm claiming one aspect of the game doesn't matter when it comes to balance, because it's an area of the game I'm not going to touch, or touch much, if I do. If I'm playing a DC, I'd expect the TR to be able to help bail me out of the aggro mess, and if they get nerfed for PvP, they're not going to be able to. So yeah, don't try to pull it out now, since people might have joined specifically because it's in, but don't spend a lot of resources trying to make it a purely PvP game by "balancing" it so that all classes can 1vs1 either. The classes work a specific way for a reason, and that reason should be preserved above the shouts of "Swing the nerf bat on the FoM class".
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
    edited May 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    This is not DnD. This is not an online representation of a pen and paper RPG. This is an MMO set in the Forgotten Realms universe. I don't mean to be rude, but this should not have to be explained to you. PvP is in this game because PvP is in all competent MMOs.

No offense taken. Very true points. Most MMO's do have PvP ( Ive been playing these things since 97 and I do like a good BASH in Champions Online now and then I'm no care bear) But it is Dungeons and Dragons it is an online representation of that game.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like how DDO did it, they just gave people brawling pits, and said they won't even look at PvP balance when they balance classes. PvE should come first honestly, especially since most people want a 1v1 balance here, which is silly, and would lead to more chaos. Maybe when the 20v20 comes in it will all be meaningless as there will be so much going on and classes of all types, not as narrow as 5v5.
    edited May 2013

Really? The banner on the top of every page of the forums would beg to differ, as would the advertisement that drew me here in the first place: "...a rich Dungeons and Dragons experience".
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
    edited May 2013
    Wait until the release of Grymgauntl... the whining will grow even louder.
    edited May 2013
    No offense taken. Very true points. Most MMO's do have PvP ( Ive been playing these things since 97 and I do like a good BASH in Champions Online now and then I'm no care bear) But it is Dungeons and Dragons it is an online representation of that game.

But that's not really accurate. This game is just a traditional moneysink MMO with the DnD setting thrown on top in order to garner a larger playerbase and interest from the media. An online representation of DnD would basically be sitting down at the computer and playing the actual Pen and Paper game with your friends. This isn't really that.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
    edited May 2013
    Really? The banner on the top of every page of the forums would beg to differ, as would the advertisement that drew me here in the first place: "...a rich Dungeons and Dragons experience".

Uh huh. And how are you enjoying that rich Dungeons and Dragons experience? I bet it feels just like your old gaming sessions!!
    edited May 2013
    But that's not really accurate. This game is just a traditional moneysink MMO with the DnD setting thrown on top in order to garner a larger playerbase and interest from the media. An online representation of DnD would basically be sitting down at the computer and playing the actual Pen and Paper game with your friends. This isn't really that.

Your logic is sound here. Shame really, end of the day this game ended up just another Forsaken World.
  • roastedporkroastedpork Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It should be removed because the sheer amount of exploits and botting.

Nothing else besides this at the moment.
  • buckem420buckem420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Back in the day when I was still playing D&D we actually had several times when a player would fight another player (or just execute them in their sleep). I see no issues with pvp combat in a D&D based mmo.
    edited May 2013
    It should be removed because the sheer amount of exploits and botting.

Nothing else besides this at the moment.

But it's fun~!!! Just moments ago I read in forum about rouges and clerks running around in pvp.... applying rosy cheeks and typewritting...

Anyway PVP sort of gives me the incentive to improve my otherwise underpower item. At least before the arrival of Grymgauntl, I would know what I need improvement.
    edited May 2013
    Uh huh. And how are you enjoying that rich Dungeons and Dragons experience? I bet it feels just like your old gaming sessions!!

That's the rub though, isn't it? When I'm grouping with my friends, it can be lots of fun, and reminiscent of D&D. The rest of the time, meh. I can, however, get the same experience in any MMO and TS or Vent, so again, not much of a big deal either way. However, to stick to their claims, they should still attempt to balance the game for PvE, and let PvP sort itself out. If they don't, they're going to break PvE, and that's going to drive off as many, or more players than just balancing for PvE would.
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I agree. PVP just attracts the whiniest kids to the game. Most of the hard core PVP'ers won't stick around this game anyways. Its just not built to sustain that type of crowd.. So they will sit here whining in the forums and eventually they will move on regardless if they are listened to or not.. So Cyptic please listen to the PVE players that constitute the bulk of the population that may stick around for a long time creating foundry content and playing the game.. Of course right now Cryptic/PWE is losing tons of both groups.

PVP just distracts companies from content that everyone would like and enjoy.
    edited May 2013
    Just had an amazing PVP game, were basically it was 4v4, and each team had 2 rouge bots..

Needless to say, all the human players from each team were standing in the middle WITHOUT KILLING EACH OTHER and watching the 4 bots duke it out, very fun..

5v5 bot games inc.
  • tenkurotenkuro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry if some of you are bad at pvp, but there's no need to remove it just to balance the PVE aspect. It is not difficult to create PVE only buffs that will help the game.

Give GF an aoe taunt.

Give GWF a buff that doubles the damage they do to mobs only. (will not work in pvp)

Give Clerics a buff that greatly reduces aggro from heals.

Allow parties to request for new members if somebody decides to leave while in an epic dungeon. (Should work for all dungeons)

There you go, fixed most of the pve problems.
  • suroh66suroh66 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Op get bent
    edited May 2013
    I agree. PVP just attracts the whiniest kids to the game. Most of the hard core PVP'ers won't stick around this game anyways. Its just not built to sustain that type of crowd.. So they will sit here whining in the forums and eventually they will move on regardless if they are listened to or not.. So Cyptic please listen to the PVE players that constitute the bulk of the population that may stick around for a long time creating foundry content and playing the game.. Of course right now Cryptic/PWE is losing tons of both groups.

PVP just distracts companies from content that everyone would like and enjoy.

I don't like it so no one else does.
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    suroh66 wrote: »
    Op get bent

He is bent? Did he go to the doctor? Is he ok? Did he just bend or did something actually break?

Anyone else miss the days of gaming before it was invaded by socially challenged 12 year olds?
    edited May 2013
    Just had an amazing PVP game, were basically it was 4v4, and each team had 2 rouge bots..

Needless to say, all the human players from each team were standing in the middle WITHOUT KILLING EACH OTHER and watching the 4 bots duke it out, very fun..

5v5 bot games inc.

SEEEEEEEE rouge exists....... you get rosy cheeks after the game~!!!!
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Don't like PvP, then don't PvP?
    /boggle
    edited May 2013
    Stop pulling me up on my bad spelling habbits its depressing :(

Rogue, Cleric, *Derp*.

Now im sad :mad:
    edited May 2013
    Stop pulling me up on my bad spelling habbits its depressing :(

Rogue, Cleric, *Derp*.

Now im sad :mad:

Is habbit a new type of hobbit? >_< just kidding ^_^
    edited May 2013
    xumina wrote: »
    Is habbit a new type of hobbit? >_< just kidding ^_^

It actually suggests "hobbit" as a correction to "habbit", but i could not be bothered to delete the 2nd B, and was wondering what your reply would be ^.^

Habit.