test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher gone

Comments

• malcryzmalcryz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oldcrow70 wrote: »
    If I reload the game will any game progress data be lost?

You most likely won't need to do this, if the .exe file is simply in your quarantine folder. If you'd like to reinstall though, don't worry - the progress you have made in-game is stored on PW's servers, not on your computer. =)
  • oldcrow70oldcrow70 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That goes for inventory as well? I just got one of the fire hawk companions from a chest.
    edited May 2013
    That goes for inventory as well? I just got one of the fire hawk companions from a chest.

Yes, don't worry - online games save your characters and everything they do on the company's own servers.
  • schlaftenschlaften Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aaah turns out my issue was an avast issue even tho it wasnt running...herp derp
  • oldcrow70oldcrow70 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks. A bit paranoid after losing progress on other games. Including this one after the rollback. lol
    edited May 2013
    Thanks. A bit paranoid after losing progress on other games. Including this one after the rollback. lol

Hey, no problem! Nothing wrong with being careful and making sure. ^-^
  • abandinusabandinus Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm...Still can't figure out why my loader won't run before the game starts. Anyone have ideas?

You have to remove it from Avast virus chest I gave details on page 6 of this thread.
  • mil0shhmil0shh Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    laaaaaaaaaaaauncherrrrr com back to meeeee :(
  • araevis13araevis13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My husband had the same issue, but I wasn't. Same connection, same setup, both have Avast. The difference being I was able to log in no problem. I wasn't plugged into the stupid cloud reputation intelligence. If you just disable that, you should be able to run Neverwinter without a problem. Go to the security tab and click on where it says enabled underneath. He is no longer having issues with the game at all. I like Avast, but I really hate the cloud service <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. :(

Disabling the cloud intelligence has not made Avast work any worse for me and the cloud intelligence doesn't get in the way of other programs. I disabled it a while ago because it was interfering with some of my transcription programs. (Why it would do that, I have no idea.) The only difference I've seen is that I don't get a pop-up when I use my transcription programs telling me that they are suspicious.
    edited May 2013
    The launcher did not come back even after removing from avast virus chest. I am reloading game. The launcher came up and now patching. I did take the time to report the file as a false positive to Avast. Hopefully other will as well.
    edited May 2013
    Where is the cloud reputation service? Is that a steam thing?
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is going to be good one *grabs popcorn*
    Oh, and my launcher went poof as well.
    edited May 2013
    Cloud intelligence is something Avast added with an update a while back.

You don't have to disable Avast at all, just the Cloud intelligence.
  • zipper4613zipper4613 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My virus protection, Avast, has told me that the file "Neverwinter" has been infected. If all of you check your virus protection you might find the same thing. Think the guys might have pissed somebody off?
  • thandoblrthandoblr Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bloody Avast, didn't even have the courtesy to put the exe file into the chest or even report what it did to it besides flagging it as a virus.
    (Yes, I'm usually running Silent Mode due to various, usually game related, issues)
    But the again, I'd rather have the minor annoyance of a false positive now and again than a missed virus wreaking havoc. :)
  • thaliffthaliff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    restoring from virus vault and disabling protection for 10 mins worked. In game now. Submitted false positive.

OOC, anyone know how many negatives it takes to enable file protection in Avast? <dons tinfoil hat>
    On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.
  • wilderosewilderose Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup yup, my shortcut disappear. I re-installed the game and that didn't work either. YIKES - do you think Perfect World has been hacked by malicious competing game entities? IT'S ALL A PLOT!!!
  • thaliffthaliff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    thaliff wrote: »
    restoring from virus vault and disabling protection for 10 mins worked. In game now. Submitted false positive.

OOC, anyone know how many negatives it takes to enable file protection in Avast? <dons tinfoil hat>

Disabling cloud services also does the trick.
  • shinypotatoshinypotato Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just opened beer can and waiting that something bad happends
  • g00nz0g00nz0 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi guys.

Same issue as many others. It's just that AVAST hasn't put anything in quarantine or in any virus chest for me. My launcher is just poof gone and I can't find any way to restore it like many others of you. If I run the game client I just get kicked out from the account check.

Any ideas ?
    edited May 2013
    wilderose wrote: »
    Yup yup, my shortcut disappear. I re-installed the game and that didn't work either. YIKES - do you think Perfect World has been hacked by malicious competing game entities? IT'S ALL A PLOT!!!

If I had to guess, a bunch of dissatisfied players reported the client as a virus/malware
    edited May 2013
    g00nz0 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Same issue as many others. It's just that AVAST hasn't put anything in quarantine or in any virus chest for me. My launcher is just poof gone and I can't find any way to restore it like many others of you. If I run the game client I just get kicked out from the account check.

Any ideas ?

My husband had the same problem. He had to redownload it, but it's working just fine now with the cloud intelligence disabled.
  • abandinusabandinus Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    g00nz0 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Any ideas ?

Well if the files are gone then try a Windows system restore. Restore to the most recent point. However realize you will lose programs that have been installed/modified since the restore point. After restoring then allow the cryptic folder in the exceptions list or disable the Avast cloud service and everything should work.
  • pyrorik2pyrorik2 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My anti virus thought it is malware when i started neverwinter up, the go the launcher icon disappeared from my whole pc. Installed Neverwinter again and the message appeared again.. It worked just fine 6 hours ago. Don't know what it is..
  • xmezzzzzzzzzzzzxxmezzzzzzzzzzzzx Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    a quick fix is to disable scan on execute, then run or simply add it to your exceptions list
  • cera001cera001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep same thing I have Avast, or should I say had....

I installed Panda and found the launcher under c:users/public/games/cryptic studios

Placed launcher back on desktop...

Uninstall avast try Panda seems good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    also if you are running avast go to maintenance the click virus chest then right click restore, then add the pwi folder as an exception to getting scanned. This will cause Avast ti ignore it and not throw a false positive.

P.S. DO NOT RUN NEVERWINTER UNTIL YOU ADD IT AS AN EXCEPTION OTHERWISE IT WILL JUST POP IT AGAIN AND YOU'LL GAVE TO START AT STEP ONE
  • arrowmaticarrowmatic Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My antivirus scanner (Avast) just detected the executable as a virus, moved the exe to the virus chest and deleted the shortcut from the desktop. I've been playing the game for some time now without issue. In fact I was playing earlier today just fine, so this is very new behavior.

Maybe this also accounts for what some of you are seeing.
    edited May 2013
    yup thats the exact thing i saw refer to my other post for a quick fix.
    edited May 2013
    also remember that a patch to the game can cause avast to report it as it doesn't recognize the file and it just came outta nowhere