test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher gone

Comments

• mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I was having the same problem. Avast.

I am currently re-installing the game.

In any case, Cryptic needs to get this resolved with Avast.
  • xmezzzzzzzzzzzzxxmezzzzzzzzzzzzx Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I was having the same problem. Avast.

I am currently re-installing the game.

In any case, Cryptic needs to get this resolved with Avast.

lol don't reinstall, just restore from the virus chest otherwise it'll do the same thing + waste your time
    edited May 2013
    unless ofc you already deleted the game
  • sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    this happend cause your antivirus detected something incorrect with launcher.Game can still be played but u need to download Neverwinter.exe from this site and turn off launcher untill this got fixed
  • arrowmaticarrowmatic Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, don't reinstall the game. The game is still there unless you nuked it yourself. Just restore the exe from the chest/locker or whatever your AV calls it and MAKE SURE you add it as an exception or it'll just happen again.

Looks like there was a 2pm (PST) update to Avast and for whatever reason it finds Neverwinter.exe to be "suspicious". I've already sent it in to Avast as a false positive, and everyone else should as well.

Is it only Avast users having this issue though?
  • statx805statx805 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same exact thing here BUT -

Are you sure it's just Avast? Which we all seem to have, but my windows update did a security update today.

I am considering nuking the recent security update from Windows and then restoring the EXE from avast chest and add as an exception. Will post if I get it working.
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I completely deleted Avast (terrible program anyway), still can't launch the game.
  • borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kife1100 wrote: »
    If anything this is a reason not to use Avast.

It is if you aren't that good with computers. But I won't personally stop using Avast over a fairly rare issue that I can easily fix anyways.
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    I completely deleted Avast (terrible program anyway), still can't launch the game.
    There are a few different reasons for the launcher not to be working properly, there will be a fix as soon as the Devs/Cm's are made aware of it so submit a ticket and hope for the best!
    edited May 2013
    statx805 wrote: »
    Same exact thing here BUT -

Are you sure it's just Avast? Which we all seem to have, but my windows update did a security update today.

I am considering nuking the recent security update from Windows and then restoring the EXE from avast chest and add as an exception. Will post if I get it working.

I have not installed any Windows updates today, and it was definitely the AV program that popped up and warned me that it was removing Neverwinter.exe to the virus chest. I played the game prior to the 2pm Avast update without issue.
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    OK, deleted Avast, redownloaded just the .exe file, and it works. Google Neverwinter.exe if you need the file.
    edited May 2013
    arrowmatic wrote: »
    I have not installed any Windows updates today, and it was definitely the AV program that popped up and warned me that it was removing Neverwinter.exe to the virus chest. I played the game prior to the 2pm Avast update without issue.
    Ya its the update to Avast's virus definition and program version, I'm sure if you add neverwinter as an exception till the Dev's can implement a work-around it'll work fine as I am currently in-game now
  • abandinusabandinus Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    Restoring the Neverwinter.exe from the Avast chest before uninstalling Avast would be better than trusting others to give you the Neverwinter.exe file again.
    edited May 2013
    OK, deleted Avast, redownloaded just the .exe file, and it works. Google Neverwinter.exe if you need the file.
    Although i can see your reasoning behind this but deleting virus protection from your pc is a terrible idea as it leaves you vulnerable to things that can cause bigger problems than not being able to play Neverwinter
    edited May 2013
    I didn't say I didn't have virus protection, I said I got rid of Avast.
    edited May 2013
    It's working by just adding exception in Avast. But now it's downloading a 4,000 MB patch... wtf?
    edited May 2013
    I didn't say I didn't have virus protection, I said I got rid of Avast.

lol you like me with 3-4 different ones running doing different things?
    edited May 2013
    It's working by just adding exception in Avast. But now it's downloading a 4,000 MB patch... wtf?

Did you use a windows restore point?
    edited May 2013
    Why is my client now getting a 4 GB patch, anyone? This is pissing me off
    edited May 2013

ya any chance you tried to reinstall the game first then cancel and restore the launcher?
    edited May 2013
    No, I didn't restore, all I did was put the neverwinter.exe back into this folder: games/cryptic/neverwinter/live and ran it. now its patching 4 GB file.
  • yucaworldyucaworld Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just before the delves i have to re-install the game ...
    edited May 2013
    No, I didn't restore, all I did was put the neverwinter.exe back into this folder: games/cryptic/neverwinter/live and ran it. now its patching 4 GB file.

It probably has to update because it was deleted i didn't notice the 4g patch because i walked away from my comp for 5 mins
    edited May 2013

Did you download a new Neverwinter.exe as some suggested to do on here? Or did you restore from Avast virus chest?
    edited May 2013
    It probably has to update because it was deleted i didn't notice the 4g patch because i walked away from my comp for 5 mins

I didn't have to patch anything. I just restored the launcher, excepted the game folder from scanning, and I was able to get right in. I'm curious; do you guys who are now downloading gigs have streaming disabled?
    edited May 2013
    Just restored from chest, should i download a new one? wondering how that would make any difference
    edited May 2013
    Is that the wrong place to put the EXE? In the live folder where the "GameClient.exe" file resides?
    edited May 2013
    abandinus wrote: »
    Did you download a new Neverwinter.exe as some suggested to do on here? Or did you restore from Avast virus chest?

I'm hoping ppl are smart enough to realize the major risk downloading from a 3rd party source, seeing as its not dificult to embed a keylogger into it and then just hijack your account.
    edited May 2013
    Just restored from chest, should i download a new one? wondering how that would make any difference

No, don't go downloading executables from random places. Just restore it from the chest.
    edited May 2013

No don't that would be the most likely reason a new patching would be needed.

Odd that the restore from chest erased your patch status. Not sure there is a fix for that you will just have to re-patch the game most likely.