test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Items all use the same model? (lv 16, still look the same as lv 1...)

2»

Comments

• Options
    plainsrunnerplainsrunner Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is my #1 complaint of this game. It seems that WoW was the only MMO so far to get this remotely right. As I level I want to get new equipment (armors, knives, swords, shields, helms) that LOOK DIFFERENT. I want my character to look DIFFERENT than everyone else depending on what I'm wearing. I want to get an awesome blue drop from a hard mob that was random and has a different look and feel.

As the game stands right now (admittedly I'm only around 30 so far) I look just like the average joe hero over to my left when I'm adventuring. I hate this. It's enough to drive me from the game soon if it doesn't change.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's been a complaint since the early BWs, it actually IS better than it was, but still severely lacking, particularly for a game with a licensed D&D name.
  • Options
    pharoah4187pharoah4187 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It makes sense that not every piece of armor is drastically different if you consider that it's based on DnD. There isn't really a lot of reason for "Leather Armor", "Leather Armor +1", or "Leather Armor +5" to look any different. It's the same base item with different stats. Since "Prowler", "Evader", "Lethal", etc. strike me more as enchantments that can be placed on armor rather than different armor pieces entirely, the very subtle differences between pieces is perfectly acceptable (by my reasoning... accept it or not as you wish). Then as you level up, you outgrow the starting gear and start to encounter progressively fancy and unique stuff.

Now if there were different models available for each armor type (kind of like Fallout where the visual model can be different but the stats are the same), that would be kind of neat.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But Pharoah, there is no reason for different pieces of armor to look relatively the same. In real life this wouldn't even be the case. Armor, weapons, etc would be hand crafted and thus no two pieces would look the same exactly. Add in magic that is in this world and you would have a LOT of differences in how things looked.

Especially in an MMO, this is a critical part of a game like this.
  • Options
    pharoah4187pharoah4187 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In reality, perhaps (although items made by the same individual to sell to the common adventurer would be more or less the same, I'm sure). That's why I suggested the ability to choose from a few different designs (to reflect different artisan's, or however you feel like justifying it). When purchasing from the vendor, maybe give a drop-down that has various options (Leather Armor 1, Leather Armor 2, etc.) for the tier. It'd make sense, and replicates the "Oooo, I like that shirt." feeling when you go shopping. Then when you get the piece from a drop, the design is assigned randomly (although the actual stats of the item don't change). If the devs wanted to go all out, maybe have a unique piece/set for each zone; like an Orc inspired set that drops in the Towers. This, of course, all costs money in terms of design that I'd rather see funneled into other aspects of the game (bug fixes > balance patches > new content imho).

I'm perfectly content with the way my character looks at the moment, and having mass-produced, non-unique gear at lower levels seems perfectly reasonable to me... although I can see it being a problem if the trend continues at higher levels.
  • Options
    jdrivejdrive Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a rogue, my armor changes every few levels. It isn't a big difference each time, but if you compare starting armor to what I have now it's very different. The style is the same, but you could never confuse the two.

Also, you can change your armor to look like any other same-type armor you have and you can also dye. I don't really see the problem.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The problem is that a loot drop ought to feel and look special. Rare drops ought to have personality. Right now you just move from one template to another as you level. It's boring as h#ll.
  • Options
    treize26treize26 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is definitely a problem. I noticed a difference in my GF as I got better armor, but it was only barely noticable, until I hit 60 and started getting purples which were radically different to the point where I currently look like I'm constructed from spare parts.

For my CW, there is a unique looking chestpiece I have (got it around 20ish or so) which looks like a half-finished dress. The problem is with the ridiculously ugly pants and shirt that you're forced to wear with no ability to hide the graphic, she looks like a hobo. If I unequip the pants and shirt, she looks like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> hobo. I'm sticking with the non-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> hobo look for now since it's marginally less ridiculous.

It would just be nice to be able to customize my appearance in some way as I level up as literally ever other MMO I've played allows you to do, rather than having to wait till 60 to begin seeing some interesting appearances.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Easy to code skins are the least of concerns during beta.
    Getting mechanics, infrastructure, and class balance perfected are much higher priorities.
  • Options
    treize26treize26 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    Easy to code skins are the least of concerns during beta.
    Getting mechanics, infrastructure, and class balance perfected are much higher priorities.

Do you honestly think the guy working on class balance is "coding" skins as well? If this were an indy developer that may be the case, but I'm pretty sure that they have more than 1 or 2 devs working on the game, and generally have different teams for different related aspects of the game. Not sure why this needs explaining every time someone suggests a cosmetic change.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    treize26 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think the guy working on class balance is "coding" skins as well? If this were an indy developer that may be the case, but I'm pretty sure that they have more than 1 or 2 devs working on the game, and generally have different teams for different related aspects of the game. Not sure why this needs explaining every time someone suggests a cosmetic change.

DELETED:

I shouldn't try posting a rebuttal when I have had a few beers.
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aurenn wrote: »
    See, I'd gladly dump 25$ for the ability to just change how my weapons look, so long it was account wide. Like a little spell that lets me alter my Greatsword to look like a Axe, or my floaty crystal ball to some sort of wand...I'd pay for that so long it was account wide.

Wish granted! Trade AD to the the ad vendor for the axe of anger. Use it to skin over your greatsword for 1k ad or whatever it costs. The current graphic clips though and the animations don't work right...

This game needs a big item overhaul. I'm getting tired of staring at the same looking toon as well.