test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Items all use the same model? (lv 16, still look the same as lv 1...)

gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Or am I just having terrible luck?

Playing as a control wizard, I have went through many new "items" but every single item has used the EXACT same graphic as the other items. It just looks lazy/silly, and takes away part of the fun of the entire "loot" aspect of the game.

Is there a certain level you get before equipment actually looks different? Or are all the visual different equipment Zen items/bought with seals/trade bars, etc?
Post edited by gyloir on

Comments

• Options
    aurennaurenn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are subtle changes, barely noticable. I believe the higher level stuff, at around level 30, you might start seeing different types of weapons. This was the case for the GWF, TR, the melee fighters basically.

I know the Devoted Cleric can use a Scepter, but that costs AD to get. I really honestly do wish that they had a wider variety of weapon types/models because looking at the same model for your weapon...for 30 levels...well get boring REALLY quick.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i agree but at least i found out you can get dyes to at least change the primary/secondary/tertiary colors
    21.jpg
  • Options
    delushindelushin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Primary objective is to make money.

Visual effects on items that drop for free is a low priority.

Buy Zen and try win the fire horse instead.
    "He who never fell, has never climbed"
    - Unknown
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    delushin wrote: »
    Primary objective is to make money.

Visual effects on items that drop for free is a low priority.

Buy Zen and try win the fire horse instead.

If I get the effing horse, I'm selling it for at least 4mil AD.
  • Options
    azrael4271azrael4271 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aurenn wrote: »
    If I get the effing horse, I'm selling it for at least 4mil AD.

Agreed. I only want the blue one anyways.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    azrael4271 wrote: »
    Agreed. I only want the blue one anyways.

I got both the founders packs. All I want is a Armored Worg just because I have a personal lil story with my halfling GWF.
  • Options
    ordainedoneordainedone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wait til you can buy gear from the cash shop that is better then anything you can find in the game. A few PWI games come to mind. But, not only will the stats be different, but you'll look different too! ;) For only 25$
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Wait til you can buy gear from the cash shop that is better then anything you can find in the game. A few PWI games come to mind. But, not only will the stats be different, but you'll look different too! ;) For only 25$

See, I'd gladly dump 25$ for the ability to just change how my weapons look, so long it was account wide. Like a little spell that lets me alter my Greatsword to look like a Axe, or my floaty crystal ball to some sort of wand...I'd pay for that so long it was account wide.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've noticed minor differences, some better than others, and my orb is finally starting to look interesting at 45. I don't know, the early levels, all levels really, go by so fast that i haven't held onto much in the way of gear. Being able to decide what it looks like, either fashion or plopping the look of the item on there, really makes me less concerned as to what leveling gear looks like. As long as there is gear at cap that looks interesting, i'll be happy. Oh yeah, and to be able to preview it would be a god send. :P
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    In BW4 I had some cool orbs. Clothing was BORING in all BWs and hardly changed from lvl 1-45. In BW4, it saw a positive change in appearance, but still everything looked the same. The earlier BWs the wizard garb looked like a clown outfit:(.

I really wish the devs would do SOMETHING about this. I understand wanting to make money. Really I do.

But if every single little thing costs $ then no one will want to play as the base game is just boring. If you go 60 levels and your armor looks exactly the same even though you've equipped 20 different armor sets, not only is that unrealistic and stupid, but it is incredibly boring and if the point of that is to force someone to spend money just to look halfway decent, it makes me resentful and not want to spend anything at all.

Prices are outrageous for single items already. Items in the cash shop should be for "extra cool stuff". It shouldn't be that for anything that doesn't kill you from ennui you have to spend $. If everything costs, then many people will not be able to afford to play over the long term and no one is going to stick around for a boring game.

I had my finger on the HotN trigger for months but just can't bring myself to do it because of these types of issues.

Making money is one thing, a cash grab on every single imaginable thing is something else again and just plain greedy and not something I want to support.
  • Options
    martianmanrapermartianmanraper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited April 2013
    I wholeheartedly agree allaerra. I feel like they're doing a lot of things right, but personalization is certainly not one of them, and that's arguably one of the top lures for many, many people in games. Can only hope they throw in some more gear styles I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    Gear with +1 or +2 doesn't look any different than the +0 version, and at how the game seems to work at lower levels is you start with "Armor A" then a few levels later get "Armor A+1" then "Armor A+2" then finally you start seeing "Armor B" which looks very slightly different (few extra straps, or half a shoulder pad added on). You start getting "Armor B" around level 16-18.
  • Options
    dramdrumdramdrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited April 2013
    The better looking models for armor and weapons will probably be on the high end/endgame stuff, and yes, probably on the Zen store too.
    You expect every new green item you find while leveling up to have a different look?

From what I have seen the leveling items have "tiers", aka all items level 10-20 will have one look, items 20-30 will have a slightly better one etc.
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    There's also some cool looking armors on the armor merchants in the market for only a few silver or AD.
  • Options
    johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Money grab game tactics!!!
  • Options
    gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dramdrum wrote: »
    The better looking models for armor and weapons will probably be on the high end/endgame stuff, and yes, probably on the Zen store too.
    You expect every new green item you find while leveling up to have a different look?

From what I have seen the leveling items have "tiers", aka all items level 10-20 will have one look, items 20-30 will have a slightly better one etc.

Do I expect every item? No, but it'd be nice for models to change. I have played most mmo's ont he market, and even indie mmo's have did this better.

WoW, EQ, DAOC, SWG, SW:TOR, all of these had at least SOME variety, even in early levels, for your equipment. Leveling up and getting near gear that looks the same for 10+ levels is boring to many people, especially in a loot-driven mmo themepark style like Neverwinter.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You start seeing obvious changes by level 25. I currently have a new set. It seems like the current tiers are around every 20 levels.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    sent8sent8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited April 2013
    Lvl 54 CW here. There are minor changes in most of the generic green items up till now. They orbs start to look cooler as u progress. The one thing I found is there are sets throughout that have unique looks to them. For instance lvl 30 ish there is a shadowmancer set, that looks really cool, and I saw a couple others. The thing is I have been going through the levels soo quickly I never bother to get full sets.

Loving the game/lore/story and leveling experience so far. So appearance has been a background issue for me. Now when 60 comes around appearance and unique looking sets will be a serious issue for me.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    akikisaragiakikisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A reasonable expectation would be to have gear that's lvl 20 look reasonably different than lvl 1 and that you shouldn't have to be lvl 60 to look beastly. Or at least put some decent clothing in the shop.
  • Options
    scarymary1scarymary1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    astazia wrote: »
    There's also some cool looking armors on the armor merchants in the market for only a few silver or AD.

How can you tell? With no preview I'd hate to spend money on armor just to find out it looks like the ghetto gear I started with. The first time I got a chest piece with a different looking icon I was so excited! Then I put it on and it looked EXACTLY the same. :( I can't find any screenshots or anything about different armor sets on the Wiki etc.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    The changes are so subtle they are hard to notice.

The game gives one of those moments that suddenly when you reach level 20-30 and realize you character looks much different.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    By level 22 i had already either found, crafted or looted different type of chest armor (I am a GF) that looked enough different, 2 different kind of boots and various shields. And with dyes I now have a quite distinctive look (considering this is D&D)

Ah and last night I crafted a nice looking 'blue' helm, much better than the one I had found (that was closed but still you could see my nose sticking out from the front.....)
  • Options
    edolambertoedolamberto Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013

i hope u are joking... the primised this will not be a pay to win game
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    astazia wrote: »
    Gear with +1 or +2 doesn't look any different than the +0 version, and at how the game seems to work at lower levels is you start with "Armor A" then a few levels later get "Armor A+1" then "Armor A+2" then finally you start seeing "Armor B" which looks very slightly different (few extra straps, or half a shoulder pad added on). You start getting "Armor B" around level 16-18.

This. After lvl 20 you start really seeing variety, though not radically different, still different enough. And crafted stuff, especially the Blue or better, tend to have unique looks
  • Options
    edited May 2013

He is trolling you
  • Options
    stadulatorstadulator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    iirc the appearance system works in tiers, pretty much like any MMO. At lvl 20 you can use a helm and your armor/robes will change. Same thing happens at lvl 30.

you're only lvl 16 OP give the game some time, even if the game is rediculously easy to lvl and simplistic to play.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013

There are no plans to put items with stats into the cash shop that I know of and if they were to add cash shop items they would be low level items such as the Graycloak's Legacy.

We will likely see many costumes but few if any items with stats.
  • Options
    arkaininarkainin Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wish the armor was more varied, but I am happy with it as is. Normal DnD and the old Neverwinter game had the same type of set up... only the really good stuff was that different. I for one do not want to see every one running around with 9 foot long bleeding swords, or goofy armor like they had in WoW. Keep that kind of stuff only for the best of the best and it will that much cooler for it!
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are subtle differences between the different armors as you slowly move up the types, and quite visible differences every few levels.

Add in some dye (yes, it does drop, just not very common) and getting a unique look isn't that hard.

Here's me, first in level 35 gear, second in mob dropped level 40 ish gear. With dyes.

elawynrogue.jpg

elrogue3.jpg
  • Options
    scarymary1scarymary1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, as I've leveled my characters I'm finally starting to see some different looking armors. I think most of the CW armor is just bleh, though. My DC looks awesome, but even with an upgraded top my CW still looks kind of fugly with those **** grey-ish pants. I wish you could dye them.