test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher gone

Comments

• leethereleethere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok an avast problem.. just stop avast for 10 minuts and start the game
  • mobility1mobility1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    restore the file from virus chest

& then

'disable virus protection for 10 minutes' on avast. i was able to run the program
  • kalphoenix1kalphoenix1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Re-install worked for me, I just got in...however I am currently nix my antivirus, so take a look at that and see if you need to disable something...this is a weird issue.
  • kane856kane856 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am oddly reluctant to disable my virus checker lol :)
  • tr1ckyo0tr1ckyo0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep disable virus protection for 10 minutes, then your good
  • schlaftenschlaften Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hmmm not running avast at the mo so still have an issue
  • jordanneffjordanneff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, so I got it to work. I'm posting my method below, but BEWARE: TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I highly doubt the launcher is actually infected with a virus, but on the off chance it is you are responsible for your own antivirus. This got me into the game, and if my account gets hacked or something because of it then it's my own dumb fault, so please be aware that there are risks but if you really need to play now, this worked for me:

BCYxV69.png
  • tunk1tunk1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just disable the shield long enough to run the launcher. I would like to know why avast is suddenly flagging neverwinter.exe.
  • liquidbattleliquidbattle Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is not with Avast really, someone has added the Launcher/NVW exe to the FileRep cloud that Avast runs and flagged it as a false positive. The easiest by-pass is to do as ppl have already posted, disable Avast for 10min and run launcher. Now the real question is whether Cryptic/PWE will try to get their files removed from Avast's FileRep cloud service, as they are flagged as malware right now.
    edited May 2013
    I'll hold off until there's an offical response but thanks for the workaround mate
  • kife1100kife1100 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Running AVG, I am having no problems with the client.

Somebody at Avast got mad at PWE :P
  • mobility1mobility1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    my guess is the scripting used in the launcher can be used in other unsavory ways in other programs/viruses/malware to run bad things on your computer. i wouldnt worry about it. i am network security guy and dont see PerfectWorld attempting anything fishy. or Phishy... just disable your AV and re-enable it after...until Avast / PWE figure out the issue with the false positive.
  • nightfer01nightfer01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 133 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Its the Avast/Neverwinter collision that caused this problem. Disable the antivirus program for 10 minutes, restore the Neverwinter.exe file and you should be able to get in clean.

PS: Cryptic, please test your stuff before releasing/fixing stuff. Dont put the whole community in panic cause of new things.
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately it's not specific to Avast as i had it disabled on launch and the game still doesnt work, i've not had the Avast issue, just the launcher dissapearing :(
  • shinypotatoshinypotato Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im not gonna disable anything pefore there is some kind official fix
  • kalgakkalgak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For avast it's a virus...
  • oldcrow70oldcrow70 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I restored the file but when I try to run the Neverwinter.exe the loader/updater does not run and the program starts. I am not able to logon. Help??
  • abandinusabandinus Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    You do not have to disable Avast at all. As mentioned above restore Neverwinter.exe from the Avast virus chest.

Then add the cryptic folder to Avast exceptions list. The list is found in Avast control panel > antivirus tab > file system shield > settings button > exclusions then hit browse and navigate to the cryptic folder which by default is C: > Users > Public > Games

This way you are only allowing the cryptic folder as an exception instead of disabling your entire anti-virus. This is of course assuming you trust cryptic.
    edited May 2013
    no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. :)
  • feltiarfeltiar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    If you go into the install dirs and run the client itself, it then fails at "connecting to account server".

Giggle, someone at Cryptic just broke most of their games. On a Friday evening. I really hope that they don't do their normal "lights on but nobody home" act over the weekend, or they're going to lose quite a lot of revenue, and probably some players too. One massive outage in a month may be regarded as unfortunate- two looks "very much like carelessness".

Edit: Avast false positive. For the nervous, Virustotal seems ok with it:

https://www.virustotal.com/en-gb/file/10aeb3f76287ffd63d8975d06d8647e79c1fb1e8fda5e07248f2fc576b92ce5b/analysis/1369423832/

Please remember this is beta. there are going to be problems.
  • malcryzmalcryz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All of you folks using Avast, please report the file as a "false positive" if it is. The reason these problems sometimes go on for so long is because not enough people bother writing a false positive report. One fp- report just looks suspicious, where as if there are many from different locations, they look into it faster and fix it with the next database update. ^-^/
    Thankyouu~

The way to restore your game file without reinstalling is to go to Avast's virus quarantine chamber and restore Neverwinter.exe - it doesn't return to your desktop even if that's where it was removed from, it returns to whichever folder you originally installed the game in. However, it will be moved to quarantine again unless you disable Avast for a few minutes like some have suggested. Or, wait with playing until the issue is fixed. [Edit: Or, move your Cryptic folders to Avast's "ignore" list. I won't recommend this, since any part of your computer can become infected, a virus from somewhere else can sometimes hide in another place, so it's at least smart to remove the folder from the ignore list once the issue is gone.]

For those blaming PWE for "breaking their games", well, not necessarily... this kind of thing has happened before in Avast's past, where one or more popular clean programs get a false positive. It usually gets fixed pretty fast because reports of such a case start flowing in, and they start getting forum posts and email etc sent to them too. Considering it seems to affect other PWE's games as well, I don't think we have to wait for long to see at least some kind of an answer. ;o
  • oldcrow70oldcrow70 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Added to the Avast exceptions and I still get the game exe to run the the loader does not run first. When I try to logon I cannot reach the acct server. Bummed!
    edited May 2013
    I realize avast is causing issues for some, but mine is not related as Avast has not been running on my system
  • kife1100kife1100 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malcryz wrote: »
    All of you folks using Avast, please report the file as a "false positive" if it is. The reason these problems sometimes go on for so long is because not enough people bother writing a false positive report. One fp- report just looks suspicious, where as if there are many from different locations, they look into it faster and fix it with the next database update. ^-^/
    Thankyouu~

The way to restore your game file without reinstalling is to go to Avast's virus quarantine chamber and restore Neverwinter.exe - it doesn't return to your desktop even if that's where it was removed from, it returns to whichever folder you originally installed the game in. However, it will be moved to quarantine again unless you disable Avast for a few minutes like some have suggested. Or, wait with playing until the issue is fixed.

For those blaming PWE for "breaking their games", well, not necessarily... this kind of thing has happened before in Avast's past, where one or more popular clean programs get a false positive. It usually gets fixed pretty fast because reports of such a case start flowing in, and they start getting forum posts and email etc sent to them too. Considering it seems to affect other PWE's games as well, I don't think we have to wait for long to see at least some kind of an answer. ;o

If anything this is a reason not to use Avast.
  • goneclearlygoneclearly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This isn't the first game avast has done this to, they also did this to WoW shortly after Cataclysm launch (as a major example, they also have done this to a lot of smaller games).

Frankly, I've uninstalled Avast and installed another anti-virus, I'm a bit tired of this happening randomly from them and also because there was simply no warning given as usual.

Just uninstall and find another anti-virus that's more gaming friendly.

I'm just very glad it wasn't a problem with Neverwinter itself.
  • malcryzmalcryz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kife1100 wrote: »
    If anything this is a reason not to use Avast.

Yeah, I'm starting to think so too. Someone reporting a clean file as a virus because they're mad at PWE can cause their files to be considered "malicious until proven otherwise". =/ It's pretty annoying... all it takes is some petty person feels entitled because they didn't read ToS and have been banned for doing a chargeback while expecting to keep playing, reported the game as a virus and BAM. ^-^''
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm...Still can't figure out why my loader won't run before the game starts. Anyone have ideas?
    edited May 2013
    If I reload the game will any game progress data be lost?
  • callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lol.

Stop watching <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and you won't need avast at all.
  • thaliffthaliff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    whew...thinking I was losing my mind
    On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.