test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher gone

schlaftenschlaften Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just tried to launch the game today and after clicking the icon i received the message along the lines of "Neverwinter client is not a valid win 32 application"

Then the icon for the launcher dissapreared so now i have no launcher.

If i go into the installed folders i only have "game client" if i load that the game loads without the launcher but if i try to log in, it times out.

I tried re-installing the launcher from my original download and it doesnt work.
Post edited by schlaften on

Comments

• tr1ckyo0tr1ckyo0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep same exact thing happened to me...
  • seefinnseefinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just had the same thing happen to me, but it said the file didn't exist I believe. Arc, their game manager, even says I don't have Neverwinter installed now, though I can launch to the game client just fine.
  • leethereleethere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same thing :/
  • kent10skent10s Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    same here? cant log on. whats the deal
    "Drive it like u stole it"
  • kane856kane856 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here - powered up PC, shortcut gone (not in the recycle either) fire the game up, enter login info, long wait and it drops back to the login screen
  • langhilaulanghilau Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Add me to the list as well and I tried on two computers. Once I input the password I still can't get in.
  • draydinndraydinn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here Desktop icon disappeared after error msg that path is incorrect.
    edited May 2013
    why did it remove my desktop icon. i find the exe for the launcher, but when i click on it , it says its not a valid exe? wtf
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you go into the install dirs and run the client itself, it then fails at "connecting to account server".

Giggle, someone at Cryptic just broke most of their games. On a Friday evening. I really hope that they don't do their normal "lights on but nobody home" act over the weekend, or they're going to lose quite a lot of revenue, and probably some players too. One massive outage in a month may be regarded as unfortunate- two looks "very much like carelessness".

Edit: Avast false positive. For the nervous, Virustotal seems ok with it:

https://www.virustotal.com/en-gb/file/10aeb3f76287ffd63d8975d06d8647e79c1fb1e8fda5e07248f2fc576b92ce5b/analysis/1369423832/
    edited May 2013
    they need to give out a new launcher. this sucks
  • kongggenkongggen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here. Tried reinstall and now getting "Failed to register into GameExplorer" .
  • drusillusdrusillus Member Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    working as intended.

I hear a new launcher costs 6500 Zen
  • mordona23mordona23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ditto to the above - I even copied the launcher from my laptop to my desktop to try again and watched it disappear from explorer with the "cannot find the file" error message.

Try launching gameclient.exe and it just hangs for the 2 minutes and times out.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes, it's the latest 1600k or so update, which makes it go all emo and harm itself. If you reinstall NW from scratch (which I just did), it still kills itself :)
    edited May 2013
    Bank holiday in the UK (3 day weekend) pretty much the only time I get to play too :)
  • schlaftenschlaften Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well.... at least some comfort is, it's not just me :P
  • astrononomicatastrononomicat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    same thing just happened to me
  • luscarionluscarion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice. Didn't work and my drive space is still used? Dafuq is this?
  • avangerisavangeris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    My whole client just vanished WTF ????
  • thandoblrthandoblr Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=23091

Yup, this is a most curious issue.
    I'm not amazed. ;)
    Luckily Steam offers a weekend of free D.. (that new sci-fi themed mmo with a tv show on the side, you know) play, just 15 minutes to go on the installer (plus probably a few patches), so if PW/Cryptic are being too slow on fixing this problem, at least I/we have alternatives.
  • threed33threed33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    same here I went to run the game and it said "the neverwinter shortcut was no longer valid" then I searched for the exe for the launcher then it said it was not a valid win 32 application then the Icon just disappeared.....Then when I tried to re-install with the DL I already had and it said the game failed to register with the game explorer.....This is some seriously bad mojo.......I have NEVER EVER had a ANY game delete itself from my computer....what gives Cryptic, If I don't see anything official today I will most definitely be done with neverwinter.
  • jordanneffjordanneff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Out of nowhere I tried launching and my antivirus (avast) just said the launcher was infected! WTF?

I just ran a complete system scan, both hard drives, and I don't have any other infected files. Apparently just neverwinter.exe

JtjqoZO.png
  • takilongtakilong Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Getting the same thing launcher is gone and game auto uninstaled. the desktop icon has changed in the game folder to now read as:
    Neverwinter.exe.deleteme if the launcher icon does not remove itsself it uninstals the game.
  • moshpet02moshpet02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, this is disturbing? WHy did my launcher nuke itself?
    M.
  • tunk1tunk1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    looks like the account server is down
  • mobility1mobility1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jordanneff wrote: »
    Out of nowhere I tried launching and my antivirus (avast) just said the launcher was infected! WTF?

I just ran a complete system scan, both hard drives, and I don't have any other infected files. Apparently just neverwinter.exe

JtjqoZO.png

same thing here. it says Virus type : "FileRepMalware"
    tried to restore file. fail.
  • kalphoenix1kalphoenix1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jordanneff wrote: »

JtjqoZO.png

I unistalled avast as I can't even FIND the effing virus vault and now I am reinstalling the game, but I had this exact issue too.
  • takilongtakilong Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reinstal does not seem to work as the main file seems to be corupt i have tried three times to reinstall with one of them from a fresh download still no go.
    edited May 2013
    My Avast has caught the Neverwinter.exe as well - any non Avast users seeing their virus checker picking the Neverwinter.exe file up?
  • mobility1mobility1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    restore the file from virus chest

& then

'disable virus protection for 10 minutes'
    on avast. i was able to run the program