What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

OBT will go on for weeks?

Comments

• Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Old people choose to give their money to down trodden African royalty , no one makes them..

The whole point of scamming a customer is that said customer does not see it coming until it is to late.

Except that the information was already given to them. It's clearly labelled as Beta. People choose to disregard that statement. It is not PWE/Cryptic's fault people chose to disregard the warning.
  • Options
    mmogfailsmmogfails Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    trevien29 wrote: »
    That sums it up. People choose to pay. Nobody makes them.

People get accustomed to pay for more and more mediocre products and services. That sums it up.
  • Options
    clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trevien29 wrote: »
    Not even close to the same. People here get are actually getting what they pay for, there is no deception.

I am not getting what I paid for..I paid for a beta test..In the classic definition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am not getting what I paid for..I paid for a beta test..In the classic definition.
    Could we have a quote of that classic definition then? And an actual quote from a respectable source.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Could we have a quote of that classic definition then? And an actual quote from a respectable source.

http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

"As a Beta tester, you are invited to play Beta Games for the sole purpose of evaluating the games and identifying errors."

No mention in the TOS of any cash shops on the side. Weird...
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry but you are clueless..I feel my consumer dollars are worth more respect that that. If you yourself do not require decent treatment from businesses you spend with, that is on you.

Yeah.. I'm the one clueless.. Going on and on about a lost cause. If you want to see clueless you might want to gaze into a mirror.

If you don't feel your dollars are being respected than hit the road. Nobody is forcing you to stay. You just like being a negative person trying to convince everyone else the sky is falling. Guess what... It's not.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mmogfails wrote: »

"As a Beta tester, you are invited to play Beta Games for the sole purpose of evaluating the games and identifying errors."

And no mention of a LACK of cash shops either. Not to mention the cash shop is an inherent part of the game; The lack of a cash shop would make it impossible to properly evaluate the game.
  • Options
    clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    Yeah.. I'm the one clueless.. Going on and on about a lost cause. If you want to see clueless you might want to gaze into a mirror.

If you don't feel your dollars are being respected than hit the road. Nobody is forcing you to stay. You just like being a negative person trying to convince everyone else the sky is falling. Guess what... It's not.

Yawn, fanboy much?...I am sitting happily in the majority so maybe it is you and your ilk who are causing the disharmony around here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • Options
    edited May 2013

A key point to a classic beta would be wiping the traces of any discovered exploits from existence. Some are uneducated enough to believe that has happened, others know without a doubt it has not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And no mention of a LACK of cash shops either. Not to mention the cash shop is an inherent part of the game; The lack of a cash shop would make it impossible to properly evaluate the game.

No mention of lack, cause sole means only.

I cannot evaluate my class unless I try various builds. To try various builds I've got to respec. To respec I've got to pay. But I'm a beta tester. This is an open beta. See the logic inconsistency? No you don't. Cause you are blind...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    A key point to a classic beta would be wiping the traces of any discovered exploits from existence. Some are uneducated enough to believe that has happened, others know without a doubt it has not.
    I expected a quote. Please provide it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No mention of lack, cause sole means only.

I cannot evaluate my class unless I try various builds. To try various builds I've got to respec. To respec I've got to pay. But I'm a beta tester. This is an open beta. See the logic inconsistency? No you don't. Cause you are blind...

No, they expect you to evaluate the game. It's impossible to evaluate individual components of the game, because some components are essentially back end. The cash shop, and expensive respecs, are part and parcel of the game. To explicitly remove a core aspect of the game, would be to no longer provide the full experience.

Also, no you do not have to respec to try different builds. You can just remake your character.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I expected a quote. Please provide it.

: a field test of the beta version of a product (as software) especially by testers outside the company developing it that is conducted prior to commercial release

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/beta%20test
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No, they expect you to evaluate the game. It's impossible to evaluate individual components of the game, because some components are essentially back end. The cash shop, and expensive respecs, are part and parcel of the game. To explicitly remove a core aspect of the game, would be to no longer provide the full experience.

Also, no you do not have to respec to try different builds. You can just remake your character.

So cash shops and expensive respecs are core aspects of betas. And you can't get the full experience of the beta unless these elements exist. Whatever you say...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Do I win yet???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It will remain in open beta as long as it is broken. At the point that they believe it is no longer broken it will miraculously and quietly transition into release. The term is just a caveat to deflect criticism for an unfinished and faulty product. When they feel they have it perfect they will launch it of course. And fanboys shall shout of the triumph of a perfect launch.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have no trouble with the cash shop. As you stated it is not uncommon, I do a considerable amount of beta testing in the f2p market. The problem I have is that when Cryptic stated "Their will be no wipe after OB" I took that to mean "We do not intend to wipe after OB"

However, sticking to that decision at this point has clearly caused some amount of uproar. Why have they not made a public statement that could settle the community as to why it is so important not to wipe this open beta test.?

Because there is no need for a wipe. People are already spending money, playing the game, and have put in quite a few dedicated hours. They stated there will be no wipe. As you said, this is not the same as "We don't intend to wipe." If they stated that many people who are playing now may not have played and waited for release or at least not have played so "Hardcore." If they wipe now they show they're untrustworthy and many of us will leave never to return. Of course there's no need for them to wipe anyway. Astral Diamonds have gone back down to 365, the auction house is stable, and the economy is fine.

Note I have never heard of a game that has wiped the servers for an OPEN Beta. WoW didn't do it, SWTOR didn't do it, Aion didn't do it, COH didn't do it, LOTRO didn't do it, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    : a field test of the beta version of a product (as software) especially by testers outside the company developing it that is conducted prior to commercial release

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/beta%20test

Yes. The key word is commercial release. Except that a F2P game is NEVER commercial released. since the game is never actually sold.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    Because there is no need for a wipe. People are already spending money, playing the game, and have put in quite a few dedicated hours. They stated there will be no wipe. As you said, this is not the same as "We don't intend to wipe." If they stated that many people who are playing now may not have played and waited for release or at least not have played so "Hardcore." If they wipe now they show they're untrustworthy and many of us will leave never to return. Of course there's no need for them to wipe anyway. Astral Diamonds have gone back down to 365, the auction house is stable, and the economy is fine.

Ok, but not wiping shows me and many others that they can not be trusted to maintain a fair game. It is not the players who should be at each others throat the way it has ended up. It is this company who tried to blur the definition of a beta test that pitted everyone against each other...Trust me when I say my side 100% wants what is best for the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes. The key word is commercial release. Except that a F2P game is NEVER commercial released. since the game is never actually sold.

That is seriously what you are going with ? Not commercial ? Tell that to my credit card lol..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013

That's true. And the transactions are imaginary. And you clearly know what the **** you are talking about.
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ok, but not wiping shows me and many others that they can not be trusted to maintain a fair game. It is not the players who should be at each others throat the way it has ended up. It is this company who tried to blur the definition of a beta test that pitted everyone against each other...Trust me when I say my side 100% wants what is best for the game.

It's not what's best for the game. How does it break your "Trust that they can maintain a fair game?" They stated before they entered open beta they would not wipe the servers. That's the only reason I even started playing in the open beta. I never play closed beta because I know anytime spent will just be erased. That's huge. What's this about "Maintaining a fair game?" The economy is fine. Gold sellers cannot be fully removed. No company can remove them. PEriod. They'll always be richer than you and everyone you know. They'll have billions before you even have 500,000.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's not what's best for the game. How does it break your "Trust that they can maintain a fair game?" They stated before they entered open beta they would not wipe the servers. That's the only reason I even started playing in the open beta. I never play closed beta because I know anytime spent will just be erased. That's huge. What's this about "Maintaining a fair game?" The economy is fine. Gold sellers cannot be fully removed. No company can remove them. PEriod. They'll always be richer than you and everyone you know. They'll have billions before you even have 500,000.

"When playing some Beta Games, you may accumulate treasure, experience points, equipment, or other value or status indicators within the Beta test. This data may be reset at any time during the testing process, and it may be reset when the particular game completes this testing phase. In this case, all player history and data will be erased and each player will return to novice status."

Did you or didn't you accept this?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That's true. And the transactions are imaginary. And you clearly know what the **** you are talking about.
    Yes. Because there's only two types of transactions.
    1) Zen: based on a commercially released Zen product. Tested.
    2) Founder's package. The product is the service into beta. Not the actual product itself.

Also, the other citera for Commercial Release is "Large Scale". This in itself is questionable, but opening to public doesn't automatically mean it's large scale.

The classic definition of beta in this sense of commercially released doesn't apply directly to F2P, at least not for this game. Hence we have to consider the OTHER classic definition of what is a beta, based on software cycles. (which is more accurate anyway)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I guess we will have to disagree,however my $600.00 forum account give me the right to speak my mind about the game..As I will continue to do, as a beta tester.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013

"When playing some Beta Games, you may accumulate treasure, experience points, equipment, or other value or status indicators within the Beta test. This data may be reset at any time during the testing process, and it may be reset when the particular game completes this testing phase. In this case, all player history and data will be erased and each player will return to novice status."

Yep........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes. Because there's only two types of transactions.
    1) Zen: based on a commercially released Zen product. Tested.
    2) Founder's package. The product is the service into beta. Not the actual product itself.

Also, the other citera for Commercial Release is "Large Scale". This in itself is questionable, but opening to public doesn't automatically mean it's large scale.

The classic definition of beta in this sense of commercially released doesn't apply directly to F2P, at least not for this game. Hence we have to consider the OTHER classic definition of what is a beta, based on software cycles. (which is more accurate anyway)

I understand your intention to give me strokes, but you'll have to try harder. Those random sentences won't kill me.
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I like the "novice" stuff. What game did they write that for?
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You have had to pay to play the beta test? I am playing it for free. I've paid for some items but I don't need those to play.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]