test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AH auction expire? kidding me?

Comments

• sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mmogfails wrote: »
    You put on the minimum starting bid and a long duration for this reason, to find the "true" value of the product! The expected result is to get somewhat less than the "true" value of the product.

You don't put a Ferrari at ebay with $0.01 starting bid and 3 months duration, to have auction ended 1 second after the first bid is made.

That's illegal.

but the auction DIDN'T end in 1 second. It ran the duration but it was inaccessible. There is a BIG difference.
    You would have to read each auction site TOS to see what they are liable if their site becomes inoperative.
    Example:
    If it is a live auction, starting bid is X price, but lets stay a tornado appear, usually the auction is cancelled
    Ebay usually cancel the auction if it goes against TOS (illegal up bid, defective product, not actual product) but generally most sales are valid
    NWN in their TOS specific state on their server and interruption of service (in this case AH) they are not liable per the agreement that YOU (the general YOU) click ok before joining such service.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • dreadlordmikeydreadlordmikey Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I suspect that the clock was intentionally not rolled forward. I suspect it was not an act of negligence or ineptitude, but a deliberate, thought out decision, in order to clear the market of items that were for sale by banned players who had obtained those items through exploits.

Certainly, some players would be negatively affected. Some, however, would be positively affected and still obtain those items. By and large, though, the vast majority of the items that were for sale on the market would simply expire and be returned to the sellers (who were now banned), thus vanishing from the market.

I'm not sure this was the best way to do it. From a player's perspective, it doesn't seem so. But from the developers' perspective, I'm sure there were many factors they had to take into consideration. I don't know enough to know one way or the other.

</conspiracyTheory>
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
  • nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know if it's an oversight, but the OP didn't get 1 AD on the auction, he got 9k, so either there was time for multiple bids, or a single person bid 9k. (Which if it worked like eBay, as some have brought that site up, he would have only gotten the minimum bid of 1 AD [assuming a single bidder].)
  • mmogfailsmmogfails Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    I suspect that the clock was intentionally not rolled forward. I suspect it was not an act of negligence or ineptitude, but a deliberate, thought out decision, in order to clear the market of items that were for sale by banned players who had obtained those items through exploits.

Certainly, some players would be negatively affected. Some, however, would be positively affected and still obtain those items. By and large, though, the vast majority of the items that were for sale on the market would simply expire and be returned to the sellers (who were now banned), thus vanishing from the market.

I'm not sure this was the best way to do it. From a player's perspective, it doesn't seem so. But from the developers' perspective, I'm sure there were many factors they had to take into consideration. I don't know enough to know one way or the other.

</conspiracyTheory>

I also suspect that's the case.
  • pilfropilfro Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would think they could cancel auctions from - list of banned players with a simple script.
  • travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Since we're talking about Ebay...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-outage.html

"In the event of a hard outage of two hours or more, eBay automatically extends listings for 24 hours."

My, what a sensible policy to have.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    travail01 wrote: »
    Since we're talking about Ebay...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-outage.html

"In the event of a hard outage of two hours or more, eBay automatically extends listings for 24 hours."

My, what a sensible policy to have.

-Travail.
    Yes it is, Unfortunately we don't have that in writing yet.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • marvellus002marvellus002 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

</conspiracyTheory>
    Nope, they just forgot about that...
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    Yes it is, Unfortunately we don't have that in writing yet.

It is in writing :) section 18.

Interruption of Service section.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    I actually brought this very concern up when we were going over our plan for the Auction Hall fixes and it was something considered but given the time and resources we had and what was required to resolve this effectively and reliably it was deemed too risky.

In addition, as others have mentioned the starting bid price should be what you would accept to sell it as (which is one of the reasons we give you a default value with a calculation of the current market price).

I personally lost a couple items that I certainly could have gotten more AD from, I also won a few items more cheaply than I should have. I will certainly bring this up again to see if we can better address in the future, but I think the preferred result is if we don't need extended maintenance on the Auction Hall system (or anything else for that matter).
    edited May 2013
  • dreadlordmikeydreadlordmikey Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I would have thought so, too. But, again, I'm not privy to how their servers are configured, or what information is in the AH database. Typically, the user information is in one server, and the auction data is in another. They'd have to be able to get the list of user ID's from the one server, build the script and then run it, being careful not to disturb any other (legitimate) auctions.

Also, if there were any triggers verifying that auctions can't be canceled with active bids on them, those would have to be disabled before they ran the script, then re-enabled after it was finished.

And, just to be sure everything was peachy, they'd have to back up the database before doing it. All in all, a time-consuming operation. But it could be done.

Not sure why they didn't go that route.
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
  • duskdweller78duskdweller78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    I actually brought this very concern up when we were going over our plan for the Auction Hall fixes and it was something considered but given the time and resources we had and what was required to resolve this effectively and reliably it was deemed too risky.

In addition, as others have mentioned the starting bid price should be what you would accept to sell it as (which is one of the reasons we give you a default value with a calculation of the current market price).

I personally lost a couple items that I certainly could have gotten more AD from, I also won a few items more cheaply than I should have. I will certainly bring this up again to see if we can better address in the future, but I think the preferred result is if we don't need extended maintenance on the Auction Hall system (or anything else for that matter).

I assure you, just out of curiosity I'm asking this, but wasn't it something as easy as:
    UPDATE Auctions_Table
    SET Start_Date = (GET_DATE() - (AH_BLOCK_DATE - Start_Date))
    WHERE (Start_Date + Auction_Duration) >= AH_BLOCK_DATE;
    Campaign:Different Seasons
    Author: @BardicKnowledge
    Q1: Prologue - The Lady and the Worm NW-DPQPJSVTH
    Tags: #Challenge, #Story, #Solo, #Group
  • altonimaraltonimar Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wow ok well thats a shocker. only way to know is to ask.. So OP did you sell T2 TR Swashbuckling boots? If not then it wasnt me cause thats the auction I won.
  • toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    LOL, Auctionhouse 101 for any and all mmo: the timers are real world, indifferent to the ups and downs of the server. Not their problem.
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    I assure you, just out of curiosity I'm asking this, but wasn't it something as easy as:
    UPDATE Auctions_Table
    SET Start_Date = (GET_DATE() - (AH_BLOCK_DATE - Start_Date))
    WHERE (Start_Date + Auction_Duration) >= AH_BLOCK_DATE;

No, sadly, it was not that simple. Nothing is ever "as easy as", as much as we would like in the world of programming, publishing and particular games (yay alliteration). Our database is custom made, not SQL, (there are videos online still probably going over why and lots of details) and these sweeping changes need way more additional testing as well as just additional time from multiple individuals to make sure we do it right.

If it was that easy, I'd have done it myself like a ninja and snuck it into the build somehow, not to mention we would have just done it.
  • grzmot33kgrzmot33k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    altonimar wrote: »
    wow ok well thats a shocker. only way to know is to ask.. So OP did you sell T2 TR Swashbuckling boots? If not then it wasnt me cause thats the auction I won.

nope ^^ (10 chars)
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    grzmot33k wrote: »
    Y, missed the point of this threat

1 Day of bidding didn't existed. Due to AH turned off. Is it only me, or everyone would bid on item in last few hours of bidding? It's normal to bid when auction is almost finished. Those items that time finished when AH was down, had no chance to getting more bids

@edit: well, always had in mind cancelling b4 it would be sold for low price, never did it because it was always bought OUT by B/o Price.
    Didn't know you cant cancel.

Still, the point of this threat remains the same. Auctions finished but they shouldnt, since AH was frozen, time should be too.

You made a mistake most of us make at some point. You posted a minimum bid lower than you really wanted to accept and someone got it for lower than you wanted. First time this happened to me is when I learned you could not pull down an auction that had been bid on (after a couple days I wanted to lower the buyout but could not remove it to do so).

Even without the AH being down this was bound to happen to you sooner or later. Most of us are going to make this mistake at some point (unless we learn from the mistakes of others or learned about similar systems in past games). The real question is, how many people will use this as a learning experience and not post overly low minimum bids in the future and how many will assume it was PWE's fault and it only happened to them because the AH was down and go ahead and make the exact same mistake only to be burned in the future?
  • duskdweller78duskdweller78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    No, sadly, it was not that simple. Nothing is ever "as easy as", as much as we would like in the world of programming, publishing and particular games (yay alliteration). Our database is custom made, not SQL, (there are videos online still probably going over why and lots of details) and these sweeping changes need way more additional testing as well as just additional time from multiple individuals to make sure we do it right.

If it was that easy, I'd have done it myself like a ninja and snuck it into the build somehow, not to mention we would have just done it.

Thank you for the answer :)
    Campaign:Different Seasons
    Author: @BardicKnowledge
    Q1: Prologue - The Lady and the Worm NW-DPQPJSVTH
    Tags: #Challenge, #Story, #Solo, #Group
    edited May 2013
    All I can see in my head at this point is a panda ninja programmer... If only my artistic abilities weren't so bad... -_-
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nullwolf1 wrote: »
    All I can see in my head at this point is a panda ninja programmer... If only my artistic abilities weren't so bad... -_-

You just discovered the Next class and race to be released
  • naztrollnaztroll Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    You just discovered the Next class and race to be released

I think I'm going to be sick .....
    18.jpg
  • bori4bori4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    nullwolf1 wrote: »
    ^ regarding this bit here... you really shouldn't list something for a starting bid you aren't ok with getting...

Auction House 101 mate - never set a minimum bid you wouldn't be happy to get.
    Bori - Renegade Drow - 40 Trickster Rogue - Mindflayer
    Elocin - Renegade Drow - 39 Devoted Cleric of Selune - Mindflayer

Looking for some Dust of Forum Troll Disappearance
    ? Sprinkle this on any troll to phase shift them out of your plane of existence. ;)

• stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Say what you will about Cryptic but I haven't seen many dev companies where they come out on the forums to chat, despite all the hair pulling and doomcrying from Bridge dwellers.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • wildoxitwildoxit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just FYI, my bank called me and said the dispute for zen purchase was refunded with no contest from the paid party! WOOT, PWE I love you for giving me my wasted money back... /faith restored >:)

still sad I have nothing to play though....
    edited May 2013
    I for once, do agree with you.

Okay who are you and what have you done with the real embracemysword??? :p
    wildoxit wrote: »
    Just FYI, my bank called me and said the dispute for zen purchase was refunded with no contest from the paid party! WOOT, PWE I love you for giving me my wasted money back... /faith restored >:)

still sad I have nothing to play though....

Honestly since you have your funds back nothing stopping you from enjoying the game, just don't pay again until you feel it's worth it, that's fair...heck I have even heard Cryptic guys say the same thing at PAX east.
  • wildoxitwildoxit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been trying to play since the big AH fubar but I am gun shy and there is nothing to do really... all the end game content has been owned again and again.. :( I play to fast I guess... bahaha
    edited May 2013
    wildoxit wrote: »
    I have been trying to play since the big AH fubar but I am gun shy and there is nothing to do really... all the end game content has been owned again and again.. :( I play to fast I guess... bahaha

Yeah I get that, my good friend who was a DDO fanatic did the same thing, he liked the game well enough but felt it was too new and couldn't satiate the average hardcore, but he did agree that it was a thing time would address. Speaking of which, DDO dose have a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of content and they are adding more.
    edited May 2013
    yea, I smoked DDO in 3 weeks :( .... need to learn how to slow down and pace myself I guess... Actually everything after EQ2 seemed to blow by like a thunderstorm. I need a never ending supply of game content ! well, END game tough pull your hair content, /hardcore please...