test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

UGC: The Catacombs of Dread

wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
You'll discover the truth at the end of my new dungeon. Short code in sig. :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by wuhsin on

Comments

• Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Awesome idea, I'll play it today. Minimum levels? :)
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    Awesome idea, I'll play it today. Minimum levels? :)

So far I've only tested it with a level 18/19 TR. The difficulty will vary depending on level, class, and what choices you make.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Also, be warned, it could take a couple of hours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »

Foundry quests that can take a couple of hours are problematic. There is a chance that your bags can be filled. Returning to town can lose progress. If you can add a vendor or two please do so or better still offer a portal to town, an extra step to talk to an NPC in town etc. Giving people a break is good, physically, mentally and especially as they probably don't have much bag space.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Or much time...who wants a 2-hour Foundry quest? This is not vanilla Scholomance.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Foundry quests that can take a couple of hours are problematic. There is a chance that your bags can be filled. Returning to town can lose progress. If you can add a vendor or two please do so or better still offer a portal to town, an extra step to talk to an NPC in town etc. Giving people a break is good, physically, mentally and especially as they probably don't have much bag space.

I don't think you can add vendors or town portals to quests yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wolfrat14 wrote: »
    Or much time...who wants a 2-hour Foundry quest? This is not vanilla Scholomance.

Sorry my dungeon is too deep for you. Go hack and slash your way through someone else's little 15 minute quest. There are way more of those than there are dungeons like mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sorry my dungeon is too deep for you. Go hack and slash your way through someone else's little 15 minute quest. There are way more of those than there are dungeons like mine.

It may not have been polite but he has a point. Even when I have a great deal of time to spare i don't have a couple of hours where i can't leave the PC for more than 15 minutes. You really need to look at a way of ensuring that people can leave without their progress being lost. The fact that we have regular unscheduled downtime means this is required for long missions. Imagine playing 70% and the server goes down. You return to find you have to start again. You won't see many reviews because so few people will be able to complete it.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It may not have been polite but he has a point. Even when I have a great deal of time to spare i don't have a couple of hours where i can't leave the PC for more than 15 minutes. You really need to look at a way of ensuring that people can leave without their progress being lost. The fact that we have regular unscheduled downtime means this is required for long missions. Imagine playing 70% and the server goes down. You return to find you have to start again. You won't see many reviews because so few people will be able to complete it.

And just HOW do I ensure they can leave without their progress being lost? I was never made aware this was a possibility, or I would have probably already done so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And just HOW do I ensure they can leave without their progress being lost? I was never made aware this was a possibility, or I would have probably already done so.

Well, i don't know, I've not started with the foundry yet ( I have been writing something, for when i have free time ) but there must be checkpoints. You could introduce an NPC that opens a portal to town to talk to another npc who 'gives more information' then opens another portal, or directs you to another transition point. I can't be specific as i don't know your story but I'm sure that you get the idea.

Otherwise just split it into 3 chapters.

This is a conversation that should be going on in the foundry forum.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, i don't know, I've not started with the foundry yet ( I have been writing something, for when i have free time ) but there must be checkpoints. You could introduce an NPC that opens a portal to town to talk to another npc who 'gives more information' then opens another portal, or directs you to another transition point. I can't be specific as i don't know your story but I'm sure that you get the idea.

Otherwise just split it into 3 chapters.

This is a conversation that should be going on in the foundry forum.

I'm pretty sure there is no way to add vendors, as I've seen other Foundry authors complaining about that. Also, I believe once you transition from one map to another, you cannot go back to the old map, and since there is no way to add vendors that sort of defeats the purpose of doing so to begin with. Just make sure to sell all your junk before entering any dungeon. I've made a habit of doing this for years across many RPG's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty sure there is no way to add vendors, as I've seen other Foundry authors complaining about that. Also, I believe once you transition from one map to another, you cannot go back to the old map, and since there is no way to add vendors that sort of defeats the purpose of doing so to begin with. Just make sure to sell all your junk before entering any dungeon. I've made a habit of doing this for years across many RPG's.

Then sadly I won't be playing it. I simply can not commit to that amount of uninterrupted playtime whilst there is a risk that all progress can be lost if I am called to a meeting, phone call etc or the server crashes ( as it often does )

The ideas I have for my foundry quest means it could well be five hours long. I have planned ahead for this by splitting it into manageable chapters with distinctive end points so that people can choose to drop in and out of any part as they choose.

And FYI? You are soliciting for people to play your quest here in this post and there is a scheduled maintenance coming up. It sounds like people would be unable to complete it in time anyway.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    f4tb4dg3rf4tb4dg3r Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just split it into shorter parts? You can turn them into a "campaign" or whatever you want to call it, that's what most people are doing and probably why there aren't alot of 2h quests.
  • Options
    healsareophealsareop Member Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the most time I'd spend on a foundry quest would probably be around 30 minutes. I'd rather PvP or do a Raid in that time, and that is a lot of time to be wasting.
  • Options
    drpallisadedrpallisade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013

Nice smart *** comment there.

Split it up like we are seeing in some of the quests in the foundry (if you can of course or if you can be bothered)
    Castle Dunsmere
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You'll discover the truth at the end of my new dungeon. Short code in sig. :cool:

BAH! Here I was hoping for some wonderful insight and instead I get an advertisement... Well played Rick-Rolled...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    drillsgt69drillsgt69 Banned Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    Nobody wants a ****ty 2 hour + foundry with terrible loot and, most likely, a story that only the author thinks is good.
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wuhsin , i advice u to take criticism to hart and not respond defensively to it, this wil improve ure quest making more then if u respond like they insulted u... they are making valid points where u could learn from.

To split up a quest u basicly create 2/3 quest's that follow the same story (basicly just cut ure existing quest in pieces of 30/45 min tops they make a valid point time is preciues to everybody it is not that they dont wanna do it but it could be physicaly imposible for them) after u have created those quest's u can create a campaign of them, basicly when people enter ure quest's they wil have an option to do "campaign" this wil give them quest 1 and at the end ask them if they wish to proceed to quest 2 etc...

I would imagine making ure quest a 4 part piece if it is 2 hours, this wil greatly improve its succes because people could complete part 1/2 at day 1 for a daily reward, and part 3/4 the next day for another reward. ( u should consider things like this to create succesfull story's)

Hope this helped u out in ure foundry experimenting, also the foundry forum is awsome if ure new to it :)
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh man this sounds hilarious. Can't wait to get home and try it out! :)
  • Options
    dourhelmdourhelm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I bit long for me. That being said, I am sure there are plenty of people that will like it just fine.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As for tracking progress I don't think that's possible directly. However, I do believe you can have a dialogue tree that would basically let a character choose how far they've gotten and then have that trigger portals or other changes. Back in beta I recall someone's module doing something like that. An NPC would ask you to "Tell me about your adventures" and the player could answer with what they've accomplished.
  • Options
    clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is in fact exactly what foundry designers should be doing. The fact that you can not return to town to unload or take a break is a game flaw, but not the fault of the foundry designer.

I have been inactive after the weekend incident, but I may actually pop in tonight to run this one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • Options
    drizztstarkdrizztstark Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013

If you wish to create something and hope to have it played and reviewed, you better prepare yourself to receive criticism, both constructive and not.
    Slaad - Tiefling Great Weapon Fighter
  • Options
    toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    There are a ton of foundry quests. I think long ones are cool to have. I hope the description mentions that. This way someone who doesn't have the time can make the call right away.

As far as taking criticism; don't respond offensively only because it can lead to biased ratings after they trudge through the quest (just to low rate).

Great concept for a quest though. Haven't played it.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My personal advice is that break your mission up to make it like 15-30 minutes top (give or take) the reason being is that players CAN'T leave and sell stuff and come back. There is no "hold that progress" if they leave the dungeon it starts over.

Since we can't put in vendors or more than 1 rest spot in a dungeon of a single map, players don't get much "return" on adventuring. Players want to get items, raise levels and get more powerful. There is an exp reward and item at the end (plus random drops) so you would have to allow players to do that.

2 hours is a bit much IMO. Dungeon can pull that off since there is an Epic at the end. We don't have such items in our reward chest :(

I would say break it apart (or make a new campaign) and break your quest into 4 parts.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's not that it's 'too deep' unless you mean 'so deep it takes 2 hours to reach the bottom.' The problem I have with extremely long Foundry missions is that to get credit for my 'daily foundry' I have to do FOUR foundry missions. If I did 4 missions that take 2 hours each, that's 8 hours and I can just do 4 that take 15 to 20 minutes each and have plenty of time for other things.

Perhaps keep yours as is, but make another 'version' that's the same Foundry broken into smaller ones?

I do longer ones on the weekends but there are a lot of extremely long Foundry missions to choose from. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy longer missions when they're well-done but my favorite thing to do in NWO is elite dungeons with my guild. I don't want to be in a Foundry when someone says "Hey, anyone want to do elites?" and I still have an hour left in the foundry I'm in... *shrug*. It makes it a tough choice. "Do an extremely long foundry and possibly have to leave without finishing, or do a short one, finish it, and then do something else?"

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I'll play it, because I'm intrigued, but it'll be awhile. My list of Foundry missions I want to do is getting longer by the week...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I understand the concerns of many hard-working farmers, and will consider breaking this quest up into smaller increments if it is received well. However, I am not asking people to play this for the loot or daily rewards. I published this map as a tribute to the Caturday survivors, but it is a story based quest, not a farming quest or fast rewards quest. The choices you make in one chapter might affect what happens in the next chapter, so breaking it up would take a good bit of work, and knowing me I'd just add so many objectives to each part we'd end up with five or six two hour long quests.

This quest won't be two hours of pure combat, there are plenty of non-combat related objectives, and some of the hard encounters can be avoided if you make wise choices. So if you enter the map with plenty of inventory space, you should not have any problem picking up a few of the better items which are bound to drop from some of the more challenging encounters. There are a good deal of story based items too, so it is HIGHLY recommended you sell all your junk before entering the Catacombs of Dread. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Some of you think I'm being defensive or whatever, but really all I did was apologize for my quest being too long, and recommend that you play other quests if mine can't fit into your busy schedules, then explain why certain suggestions were not possible at this time. I'm not dismissing the idea of breaking my quest into different parts and making a campaign out of it, but understand I would have to rewrite some of it to make this possible. I'd also like to take time to thank the people who are open-minded enough to give it a try, especially the ones whose time is limited. If you have any suggestions on how to make it better, feel free to let me know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jaqazjaqaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013

Holy cow. I was all set to give it a go until you said this. Might want to consider remaking it into a campaign if you have that much content.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A couple hour quest isn't for everyone, but there are people who would enjoy them. Me, for example.
  • Options
    zedmuszedmus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Might have tried it if the author wasn't so rude in this thread. Pro Tip: Don't be condescending and rude to feedback when you are looking for public opinion.