What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

UGC: The Catacombs of Dread

13»

Comments

• wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ogarious wrote: »
    AHA! Found the spider eggs that I needed to spray. Maybe use a circle thing to show where I would have to look. That way I know I'm not suppose to go in the area that I havent been able to access. Just a little bit of a pointer to help us know the quest isnt bugged.

I'll leave more notes as I go thru the dungeon. So this may take awhile. I love stuff like this, btw.

Glad you are enjoying it. I turned off all the waypoints because of overwhelming complaints from people who didn't like them on here. They felt it made the game too easy. There's a "List of exploration quests" thread in the Foundry where quests like this are going to be listed, and this one is number two on it. If you like quests like this, I recommend checking it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just report him for advertising/spam and move along.
    edited May 2013
    edgenw wrote: »
    And with this comment you've actually managed to make me dislike this thread and what you've done here.

See, the problem with your logic of advertising in the general forums because there's more traffic here is this: if every foundry author starts thinking that way, then the general forum is going to wind up in worse shape than it already is.

You have not one, but two Foundry forums. Use them.

So a Foundry Quest based on recent events in the game, dedicated to a certain niche of players having a hard time finding new quests, is not a suitable topic for "General Discussion" huh? What are we supposed to talk about? Generals? Can we discuss whether or not Sun Tzu was actually real? Can we talk about what Napoleon hid in his coat? Why should Foundry Authors be banished to a small corner of the forum that hardly gets any views from players?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    Just report him for advertising/spam and move along.

Thanks for getting my thread moved you jerk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL, ok. Thanks for not having to make me carry the barrells back and forth one at a time on the second part with the eight fires.

Now, as for the flame war going on above me in the forum here. Yeah, this should kinda be sent to the foundry section. For people who want to look at this stuff. But to me that isnt a big deal. The playerbase in this game really can be trying at times.
  • edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    So a Foundry Quest based on recent events in the game, dedicated to a certain niche of players having a hard time finding new quests, is not a suitable topic for "General Discussion" huh? What are we supposed to talk about? Generals? Can we discuss whether or not Sun Tzu was actually real? Can we talk about what Napoleon hid in his coat? Why should Foundry Authors be banished to a small corner of the forum that hardly gets any views from players?

You're throwing more flawed logic out there. Why not talk about bugs, class balance, PvP, etc in the general forum? They're topics that are generally about the game as well! :rolleyes:

Like those, foundry topics are not "banished to a small corner of the forum" any more than the General Discussion section is banished to a small corner of the forum. Your problem is you're just upset that one section ends up getting more traffic than another.. but what do you expect when we're talking about a subforum designated for everything else that isn't covered by another sub-forum? And all the more reason not to add to its (general) clutter.

I asked about a bug today and placed the question in the bug-subforum. It probably got almost no views and vanished off the first page in minutes. I'm sure if I posted it on the general forum more pairs of eyes would be reading it and likely commenting on it, but that's how it works. If everyone thought the way you did and had the lack of restraint/respect for the forums setup that you're showing, every thread on this forum would be stuck in General, which would then be useless.
    edited May 2013
    LOL, ok. Thanks for not having to make me carry the barrells back and forth one at a time on the second part with the eight fires.

Yeah that would have taken forever. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think if the server crashes or something, players will restart on the most recent map they were on in the quest.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
    edited May 2013
    Well, I wouldnt go that far Wuhsin. People who want to do foundry content will always have to deal with the fact that some of the main group of people will not want to deal with that stuff.

There is nothing that says that foundry missions are any worse then regular missions. It just ends up that way alot of the time because most of us aren't as good of authors as we THINK we are.

That being said. I threw that kobold under the bus when I met the succubus, but strangely enough it sent me looking for 4 skull keys to unlock doors instead of going right back to her. But I rolled with it. Met the Drow priestess who wanted her crystal spiders found, then lost power due to a storm and got knocked out of the campaign. lol

So hopefully I got around halfway thru it. I liked everything I saw so far. Had a few things to figure out but honestly there's nothing wrong with that. Also didnt see anything overly horrible in the spelling department either.
    edited May 2013
    I think if the server crashes or something, players will restart on the most recent map they were on in the quest.

ACtually, your quite right. Just on a whim I logged back in and I was at the start of the keys quest.

I am going to take it from there in a bit. I will continue posting here as I ransack, er I mean travel my way thru the catacombs.
    edited May 2013
    Well, I wouldnt go that far Wuhsin. People who want to do foundry content will always have to deal with the fact that some of the main group of people will not want to deal with that stuff.

There is nothing that says that foundry missions are any worse then regular missions. It just ends up that way alot of the time because most of us aren't as good of authors as we THINK we are.

That being said. I threw that kobold under the bus when I met the succubus, but strangely enough it sent me looking for 4 skull keys to unlock doors instead of going right back to her. But I rolled with it. Met the Drow priestess who wanted her crystal spiders found, then lost power due to a storm and got knocked out of the campaign. lol

So hopefully I got around halfway thru it. I liked everything I saw so far. Had a few things to figure out but honestly there's nothing wrong with that. Also didnt see anything overly horrible in the spelling department either.

You'll have to bring the ring back to her in order to get a special item you'll need later. Just a hint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • myrmeenlhalmyrmeenlhal Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I finished it. It did take me roughly two hours.

Those two hours were mostly spent running back and forth across a HUGE map, and fumbling around trying to work out what I needed to do next. It was confusing at times, and there was not much in the way of direction given (it took me about 20 minutes to find one of the objectives, as it was small and roughly the same colour as the background, so therefore easy to miss even with sparkles).

It really could do with being much shorter, or on smaller maps. There were several places where I could see the grey void through gaps in some of the walls.

On the plus side (as I hate to leave just criticism), there's plenty of humour in this. The story could be tightened up a bit, but overall it shows promise.

I gave it three stars.
    edited May 2013
    So I finished it. It did take me roughly two hours.

Those two hours were mostly spent running back and forth across a HUGE map, and fumbling around trying to work out what I needed to do next. It was confusing at times, and there was not much in the way of direction given (it took me about 20 minutes to find one of the objectives, as it was small and roughly the same colour as the background, so therefore easy to miss even with sparkles).

It really could do with being much shorter, or on smaller maps. There were several places where I could see the grey void through gaps in some of the walls.

On the plus side (as I hate to leave just criticism), there's plenty of humour in this. The story could be tightened up a bit, but overall it shows promise.

I gave it three stars.

Not the most stellar rating, but I'm happy that you did, it's good to finally have some constructive criticism. About the gray void being seen through the gaps in the walls, I've tried placing objects to cover those, but may have missed a couple. This is more of a terrain glitch than anything I can actually control, all I can do is try my best to cover them up. Trust me, it looked a LOT worse to begin with when you could either see a clear blue sky or a sea of lava through the hole in the wall. The backdrops at least made it look grey.

As for the amount of walking, this is typical of exploration maps, though the one long hallway in this dungeon seems to make it more monotonous. If there were triggers that let me choose when a teleporter appeared, I would have utilized them to great effect. Unfortunately, right now I can't think of a good way to implement them. I could make a couple of hidden rooms, and put them there, but it wouldn't do a whole lot of good I'm afraid.

Lastly, the humor. I'm glad people are catching this. I was afraid everyone would just skim over the dialogue and miss it completely. Hopefully you had a good laugh at some of the more hilarious (and ridiculous) parts of the story. Glad you enjoyed it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • myrmeenlhalmyrmeenlhal Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Lastly, the humor. I'm glad people are catching this. I was afraid everyone would just skim over the dialogue and miss it completely. Hopefully you had a good laugh at some of the more hilarious (and ridiculous) parts of the story. Glad you enjoyed it.

Oh yeah... running up that last corridor and seeing the hordes of... well I won't spoil it. I was laughing most of the time, and I happen to be rather fond of... spoilers... irl. :)