test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

silenced feature is a joke

paradice89paradice89 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So as the title says its about the silence feature when you are marked as a spammer and silenced for 24 hours. I posted a list of items in zone chat that i wanted to sell twice in about 30 seconds or so and am now silenced for 24 hours. i was just wondering if this happens to anybody else or the system behind it, for instance do a set amount of people have to flag u as spamming or is it just when one person flags u as spamming.
Post edited by paradice89 on

Comments

• Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It has to be quite a few people who decide not just to ignore you, but that your posting was annoying enough to constitute spam.

Either the system needs tweaking, or your list was really long, IN CAPS, or repeated enough that you hacked off a reasonable proportion of the playerbase.
  • Options
    paradice89paradice89 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    4 items listed and a price next to them i do believe the system needs tweaking, either that or the community in NW is broken
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    paradice89 wrote: »
    So as the title says its about the silence feature when you are marked as a spammer and silenced for 24 hours. I posted a list of items in zone chat that i wanted to sell twice in about 30 seconds or so and am now silenced for 24 hours. i was just wondering if this happens to anybody else or the system behind it, for instance do a set amount of people have to flag u as spamming or is it just when one person flags u as spamming.
    oh boy, because what you did is indeed spamming. well, spamming means do the same message over and over again. but, you are selling things right? true, but what you use is Zone Chat my dear, it is not Trade Chat.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    So as the title says its about the silence feature when you are marked as a spammer and silenced for 24 hours. I posted a list of items in zone chat that i wanted to sell twice in about 30 seconds or so and am now silenced for 24 hours.

Working as intended. The community has told you they regard this as spamming. Now you can decide; do you wish to communicate with the community in a manner they collectively find acceptable, or do you wish to keep doing the same thing and periodically getting 24 hour chat silences?

The ball is in your court.
  • Options
    healsareophealsareop Member Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I said cleric lf> t2 party once and got report spammed and silenced for 24 hours. Seems I can't talk in this game. What they seriously need to do is make it so that there is a REPORT button, and an IGNORE button (which already exists). There is no need to report spam that easily and get someone silenced. What if a guild of say 200 members, has around 30 members online. With that amount of power, you could pretty much gather enough people to click report spam and silence the entire zone chat. Another suggestion? Make it so that zone chat has a limit of 10-30 seconds. You have enough space to type out pretty much everything and there is seriously no need to be linking trash rare gear in zone chat.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    healsareop wrote: »
    Yes, I said cleric lf> t2 party once and got report spammed and silenced for 24 hours. Seems I can't talk in this game. What they seriously need to do is make it so that there is a REPORT button, and an IGNORE button (which already exists). There is no need to report spam that easily and get someone silenced. What if a guild of say 200 members, has around 30 members online. With that amount of power, you could pretty much gather enough people to click report spam and silence the entire zone chat. Another suggestion? Make it so that zone chat has a limit of 10-30 seconds. You have enough space to type out pretty much everything and there is seriously no need to be linking trash rare gear in zone chat.

That's certainly cynical, at the least. I'm in a guild. The first thing I do after hitting L to turn off the search function that pops up when I log in is switch to my self made Guild channel. I have just effectively ignored the entirety of Zone chat, w/out reporting/ignoring a single player. I don't have to look at who's selling what, who's looking for what group with or without noobs, etc etc. It's off. I sure don't have to start recruiting guild members to ignore/report people in Zone.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    coggagecoggage Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    4 items listed and a price next to them i do believe the system needs tweaking, either that or the community in NW is broken

It's working fine. We're reclaiming Chat. FYI it takes 20 people to get you muted for spam, so think of it as democracy in action.
  • Options
    dourhelmdourhelm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too keep zone chat off. It is a god forsaken land of idiocy.
  • Options
    warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm happy to hear people are being silenced for it. I would like to watch zone chat but not for everyone advertising something. It would be nice if the discussions were actually interesting.
  • Options
    drakeos99drakeos99 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If people keep their selling stuff to the AH
    Drakeos Lightblade - Human - Oathbound Paladin (Protection) (MAIN)
    Drakeos Shadowbow - 60 Combat Pathfinder Hunter Ranger (Alt/retired)
    Falados - Drow (Mez) Level 60 Trickster Rogue - Offically retired
    Drakeos - Drow (Mez) Scourge Warlock/Druid (retired)
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    drakeos99 wrote: »
    If people keep their selling stuff to the AH

Which has been annoyingly down for days. Sorry to burst your bubble, but people just wanna sell their goods. With no /trade channel, you get spammed with people bartering their goods in /zone.

Hopefully, this ends today
  • Options
    crowflcrowfl Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Luv the silence to those idiots selling on a chat channel, every dang game has them, I mostly hit ignore but this 24 hr silence is awesome.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    coggage wrote: »
    It's working fine. We're reclaiming Chat. FYI it takes 20 people to get you muted for spam, so think of it as democracy in action.

Stonings and public beatings work the same way. A bunch of people decide they don’t like you for whatever reason and suddenly you become expendable.

You shouldn’t think of Zone as a chat channel. Think of it as high school without teachers. Would you come to high school and annoy everyone in the halls, yell at people in the lunch room and shove stuff in people’s faces? Especially without teachers, the people are going to get together and beat you.

If you want to be in chat you have to earn the privilege, you have to get in with the cool kids, you have to be funny or witty or entertaining in some way. You need some friends, a clique, a crew. If you are naturally annoying, then Cryptic feels you should be punished. If you want a channel for trade but find there isn’t one, well you should be punished. Want a LFG channel? Nope, you get punished.

So it doesn’t matter what you put in Zone, spam, not spam, doesn’t matter. Just ask yourself if people will find it interesting and cool or will they find it annoying or hard to follow. If it is the latter then you will get silenced, whatever you put there. They call it “taking chat back” but what they mean is that you better chat like they do or you are out.

And don’t worry for the gold spammers. They still get to do their thing; its only actual players that get ground down.

Beating up nerds and geeks and sending them home.

WAI.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, seriously - I see you advertising in zone chat: I'll spam-report and mute you. Use the freakin' auction house. That's what it's there for. I never did like street hagglers, except in a street market. Pan-handlers must die.

And yes: you ARE spamming when advertising stuff to sell in open zone chat.
  • Options
    mmogfailsmmogfails Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Muting random strangers with the guildies: A guilty pleasure!

Just kidding of course, but I can't see why it can't happen.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    Stonings and public beatings work the same way. A bunch of people decide they don’t like you for whatever reason and suddenly you become expendable.

You shouldn’t think of Zone as a chat channel. Think of it as high school without teachers. Would you come to high school and annoy everyone in the halls, yell at people in the lunch room and shove stuff in people’s faces? Especially without teachers, the people are going to get together and beat you.

If you want to be in chat you have to earn the privilege, you have to get in with the cool kids, you have to be funny or witty or entertaining in some way. You need some friends, a clique, a crew. If you are naturally annoying, then Cryptic feels you should be punished. If you want a channel for trade but find there isn’t one, well you should be punished. Want a LFG channel? Nope, you get punished.

So it doesn’t matter what you put in Zone, spam, not spam, doesn’t matter. Just ask yourself if people will find it interesting and cool or will they find it annoying or hard to follow. If it is the latter then you will get silenced, whatever you put there. They call it “taking chat back” but what they mean is that you better chat like they do or you are out.

And don’t worry for the gold spammers. They still get to do their thing; its only actual players that get ground down.

Beating up nerds and geeks and sending them home.

WAI.

Until the geeks start making turkey bombs. A black eye heals in a week. That smell aint comin off them car seats son. :p
  • Options
    quietqquietq Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A simple solution is a couple more channels. Trade channel is used in other games. I believe you can create one and I believe others can join it. I may be wrong. At the very least that could be a good addition to the game. I know that i can't even read the messages in chat most of the time because they scroll by so quickly. The increased amount of the LTS ads seen are directly due to the AH being down. However the amount of purple gear I see being advertised still makes me think that more than a few exploiter's inventory have not been corrected. But that is another subject.
  • Options
    gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The chat needs to be changed I asked if anyone needs help, and I got flagged for spamming. Just because there is ah does not mean you have to use it, if they made it that you can post items in chat then its not spamming. What is spamming is when you post the item/s seconds in between that fills the chat, that is spamming not selling something on the chat. For people that flag for people selling on chat your ******s, look at the person if they are filling the chat. That they are making the chat un-chattable then you flag, dont flag for someone selling on the chat. They made it that you can post items on chat, so its not right for you to flag that person. I will give you an example of what is spamming, for you ******s to know what is spamming.

EXAMPLE: 1 NOT SPAMMING:

person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    person 1 talks

EXAMPLE: 2 SPAMMING:

person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -person 1 talks

The - in between are other people talking, so example 1 is not spamming example 2 is.

P.S if someone presses ignore on someone it should not be something that will make the person flag that other person, pressing ignore should be just that ignore. If someone says something all you have to do is press ignore, dont act like your a righteous person.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The chat needs to be changed I asked if anyone needs help, and I got flagged for spamming. Just because there is ah does not mean you have to use it, if they made it that you can post items in chat then its not spamming. What is spamming is when you post the item/s seconds in between that fills the chat, that is spamming not selling something on the chat. For people that flag for people selling on chat your ******s, look at the person if they are filling the chat. That they are making the chat un-chattable then you flag, dont flag for someone selling on the chat. They made it that you can post items on chat, so its not right for you to flag that person. I will give you an example of what is spamming, for you ******s to know what is spamming.

EXAMPLE: 1 NOT SPAMMING:

person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    person 1 talks

EXAMPLE: 2 SPAMMING:

person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -person 1 talks
    -
    -
    -person 1 talks

The - in between are other people talking, so example 1 is not spamming example 2 is.

P.S if someone presses ignore on someone it should not be something that will make the person flag that other person, pressing ignore should be just that ignore. If someone says something all you have to do is press ignore, dont act like your a righteous person.

I dont agree. It doesnt have to do with the number of people between each time the spammer pushed the button to send their mesage again. It has to do with timeframe. All it takes is 7 people in each zone selling stuff in your first example to take over zone chat completely.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    I dont agree. It doesnt have to do with the number of people between each time the spammer pushed the button to send their mesage again. It has to do with timeframe. All it takes is 7 people in each zone selling stuff in your first example to take over zone chat completely.

I'm sure glad that my ISP doesn't subscribe to this notion of SPAM, instead of the definition of unsolicited mail/messages.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure glad that my ISP doesn't subscribe to this notion of SPAM, instead of the definition of unsolicited mail/messages.

SPAM is a delicious lunchmeat. Spam is unusual proliferation of unwanted and often irrelevant content.
    ~winks~
  • Options
    jaelithejaelithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    Zonal chat is the best intelligence debuff in the game. So many people richly deserve being muted and those that spam to sell items or for groups/group members not least.
  • Options
    quijonozquijonoz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A simple solution would be to get rid of copy and paste in Zone chat and create a Trade channel and a LFG channel that allows copy and paste.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It shouldn't silence people when other people feel like it. That is open to a whole lot of abuse. If people report, it should just make that person not appear in their chat. If a lot of people report, then a ticket should be auto-generated to a GM who can check it out.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    SPAM is a delicious lunchmeat. Spam is unusual proliferation of unwanted and often irrelevant content.
    ~winks~

Heh, Spam is kinda nasty for a lunchmeat, bleh. It is pretty good with eggs though.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think that it should apply a ban to the forum for the same 24 hours. It seems like every person that gets the ban comes and posts about it, it is not just my opinion that it shouldn't be posted about but also against the forum rules as mods point out daily.
  • Options
    jahosphatjahosphat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Woohoo! until there is an auction tab, I am very glad you were locked out. Use the AH, i don't care about your warez.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    It shouldn't silence people when other people feel like it. That is open to a whole lot of abuse. If people report, it should just make that person not appear in their chat. If a lot of people report, then a ticket should be auto-generated to a GM who can check it out.

The potential for abuse is largely theoretical. The vast majority of people who get chat banned either spammed or were obnoxious enough for a sufficient number of other players hitting the report spam or ignore option. Dozens of people shouldn't all have to ignore one person who spams or is abusive. That would just allow them to annoy a maximum of other players and the chat would be worse than now. It's a fairly efficient way of discouraging spamming and it quickly drives the lesson home.

GMs individually looking into ALL spam reports, instead of those who are supposedly unjustified, isn't really an economically viable option. You would need several people who do this as a full time job.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    silence1k1llsilence1k1ll Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's fun to get people silenced. The system is working as intended.
    I ENJOY PLAYING NWO