test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Confirmed! /gotocharacterselect command

alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This in fact does work, like the orginal poster said from a thread yesterday, you must wait for the full 15 second log-off for it to work.

Much easier than logging-off and back on!

I can't find the thread so I don't remember who originally posted this command.

Post edited by alpha1protocol on

Comments

• drusillusdrusillus Member Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    neat, I'll make a macro to.... oh.......nevermind
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you make a macro to keybind it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Nice to know.
  • xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this is a real command, it should auto-complete after the 3rd character. just like /emo goes to emote and zom goes to zombie to quickly /emote zombie
  • alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »

You can do it with a keyboard/mouse/controller that has macro functionality.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can do it with a keyboard/mouse/controller that has macro functionality.

hmmmm I probably could do this with my controller, trying to think if I have a free button.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • diamnondiamnon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can in fact make keybinds. Here's an example of a useful one for roleplayers: /bind n ++walk

That creates a toggle form of the walk keybind that's under the binds, replace n with whatever key you want or even something like ctrl+w which is what I used. Something for this command would look like uh /bind n gotocharacterselect if I'm not mistaken.

Another handy one, if you find yourself wanting to cancel things mid-activation (I haven't used this yet in NW but it should still work here as it does in Champions Online, which uses the same engine and such): /bind n PowerCancelAllActivations

There are guides floating around on how to do more complicated keybinds as well. I have a couple of files in my CO folder that wouldn't work here, but over there they randomize power color on key usage. Good for a chaos or rainbow themed super hero.
  • glomoroglomoro Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    diamnon wrote: »
    snip

Also, whoops. I forgot to log out of my alt account.

Travel power suggestion threads: Air Walk, Heavy Weapon Flight, Cape Glide improvement
    Power suggestion threads: Annihilate
  • shdowtranceshdowtrance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Confirmed! Works :) Setup a macro key on one of the G Keys on my logitech G15 keyboard to use it :)
    Text Block with 50ms delay between characters.

Now if only they would make the game do that instead of going to the front screen. haha
  • alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    diamnon wrote: »
    You can in fact make keybinds. Here's an example of a useful one for roleplayers: /bind n ++walk

That creates a toggle form of the walk keybind that's under the binds, replace n with whatever key you want or even something like ctrl+w which is what I used. Something for this command would look like uh /bind n gotocharacterselect if I'm not mistaken.

Another handy one, if you find yourself wanting to cancel things mid-activation (I haven't used this yet in NW but it should still work here as it does in Champions Online, which uses the same engine and such): /bind n PowerCancelAllActivations

There are guides floating around on how to do more complicated keybinds as well. I have a couple of files in my CO folder that wouldn't work here, but over there they randomize power color on key usage. Good for a chaos or rainbow themed super hero.

Hey can you add some more useful binds? or can you link to a list of binds? Thanks.
    edited May 2013
    Now if only they would make the game do that instead of going to the front screen. haha

The engine does have this in it, as evidenced by this command working. Also STO, using the same engine without the additions NW added on, has a character select option in its menu. It's just a matter of them coding it into the UI, and I believe they have mentioned somewhere that they're looking in to doing so. But that may have been them talking about CO; however even if that's the case, NW is more likely to see it first, since a larger number of their resources are still focused here.

Travel power suggestion threads: Air Walk, Heavy Weapon Flight, Cape Glide improvement
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is awesome. Much thanks
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This in fact does work, like the orginal poster said from a thread yesterday, you must wait for the full 15 second log-off for it to work.

Much easier than logging-off and back on!

I can't find the thread so I don't remember who originally posted this command.

Best post of the year.
    edited May 2013
    Hey can you add some more useful binds? or can you link to a list of binds? Thanks.

Sure. Here is the binding FAQ thread from Champions. This should have a lot of things that would still work here, but some of them will also not necessarily have a use in NW. Meanwhile this is a list from the NW wiki of console commands, which will be useful for many of your keybind needs following the previous guide on how to format them.

*edited for link formatting*

• byonahbyonah Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »

/bind (insertkeyhere) "/gotocharacterselect"
    edited May 2013
    byonah wrote: »
    /bind (insertkeyhere) "/gotocharacterselect"
    I believe the " marks are unnecessary for binds like this. I've never used them for PowerCancelAllActivations, which also works as a slash command. It will still probably work with them though, as I also don't recall them breaking a bind of this nature.

• awaveawave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    It was me who posted this a few days ago. The above is incorrect, no need for the '/'.
    The correct instructions for the keybind is:

/bind 0 "gotocharacterselect"
    (replace 0 with key of your choice)

You must wait 15 seconds, pressing the 'Exit Now' button will log you out completely.
  • gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    these binds what do they do and why use them, can i bind attacks, so i can use more then what i put in the bar. If no then whats the point, waste of time.
    edited May 2013
    awave wrote: »
    It was me who posted this a few days ago. The above is incorrect, no need for the '/'.

You must wait 15 seconds, pressing the 'Exit Now' button will log you out completely.

awesome thanks again!
    edited May 2013
    these binds what do they do and why use them, can i bind attacks, so i can use more then what i put in the bar. If no then whats the point, waste of time.

Troll harder?
  • jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tagging this for later. I can probably manually log out faster, but hey.. whatever.
    Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
    edited May 2013
    If we were dealing with the ent_keybinds.txt file directly, yes the "" is necessary around them. But it automatically adds them for simple binds, which is why I said /bind key gotocharacterselect should work.

In Champions Online, I did: /bind y PowerCancelAllActivations, which in the .txt file generated: Y "PowerCancelAllActivations"

This is not a bind that requires you to format it that specifically for it to work, it'll do the other part for you.

edited May 2013
    jnaathra wrote: »
    Tagging this for later. I can probably manually log out faster, but hey.. whatever.

The point is it's much easier to get to the character select screen, not to simply log out.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Thanks very much for this!
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • kadirrakadirra Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Typing /cmdlist in game will yield a full list of /commands, /gotocharacterselect included. Lots of useful stuff in that list to be aware about. Spammy but informative. Enjoy!

I can confirm as well that /gotocharacterselect works but only IF you wait out the 15 seconds. If you hit the button it's borked as usual.
  • awaveawave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    Make sure you add the keybind to all your characters! You will have to manually apply it to each one.

Sometimes I still prefer to log out completely and reenter my password to get back in as I find it quicker than having to wait 15 seconds. But if there's ever a queue getting into the game, then this command would be a lifesaver when you're simply want to switch characters!
    edited May 2013
    Make sure you add the keybind to all your characters! You will have to manually apply it to each one.

For that, I do /bind_save and /bind_load in the case of non-character specific binding adjustments. Pretty helpful for speeding up the process when you make a new alt.

edited May 2013
    glomoro wrote: »
    For that, I do /bind_save and /bind_load in the case of non-character specific binding adjustments. Pretty helpful for speeding up the process when you make a new alt.

When you get the bindings the way you want them on 1 character you type /bind_save (is the underscore required)?

Then when you get on another toon you type /bind_load and it enters all of the previous keybinds for this new character?

Do you have to then type /bind_save for each toon after doing the /bind_load?

Just curious, thanks.
  • xcentricksterxcentrickster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks OP, I LOVE not having to log back in to return to change characters! Much appreciated.
  • auferoaufero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, very nice! Thanks for the heads up on that.