test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

People still selling cats

Comments

• gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The need for a wipe exists because everyone who has been around knows how these kind of guys work.By now they have muled AD and items away on so many accounts,using VPN and proxy connections that Cryptic is down right insulting us by saying they can track them down.

Players can buy T2 epics thus rendering the gearing cycle useless. Items that should be hard to obtain are handed out or sell for very cheap.

Furthermore the level of this exploit means that the billions in AD stashed will be used to bully the economic of the game well into launch. Game and game again, they move in, set up and a bit after launch they will open the gates.

Looking at this issue from a info sec perspective leave nothing but doubt in Cryptic's ability to contain this with anything short of a wipe.

If I am wrong, I will actually come back and say I was wrong...I am that kind of person, but when I am right, and I will be, I'll be back also..

The game has essentially launched. Real money is already being used the population won't have a massive jump during "official release" most people have heard of the game already. There's no reason for them to hold back "setting up shop." Gear is cheap on the auction house not just because of exploits. It's also the nature of the beast. Gear can be sold on the auction house. The tier 1 dungeons and pvp gear are rather easy to obtain even for casuals. People are capable of pugging raids. A wipe won't make this "super rare gear." expensive. Within months everyone will have this gear. You're delusional if you think it'll always be worth a high amount. The more in circulation the more the price will drop. It's inevitable many will end up in circulation. You don't see this in other games because raids is something only 4% (going by blizzard's words) of the player base was succeeding in. Getting 5 capable people together is a lot easier than 10, 20, or even 40.

You can argue that the problem is with the game's design but if anything the people "Exploiting the gear" sped it up. What it's worth now is what it was always going to end up being worth. To swell.. I twinked myself by level 23. At level 23 on my main I had the best level 60 gear available by buying low and selling high. The ability to purchase gear in the first place has achieved this effect. Founders starting with 2,000,000 astral and people being able to buy zen and convert to astral has effected the market more than anything else has and will.

A wipe means a month later we're back to where we're at now.

P.S. I find it interesting that swell's view actually conflicts with clockwerk. Clockwerk is concerned that the exploits has made end game gear to cheap. Too many in circulation for cheating. Swell feels things have been marked up too much. I challenge you, swell, what is overpriced and what goods are outrageously marked?
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In this game 75% of end game players were exploiting. Also many exploited to get to 60 so they could exploit.

The circular argument you are using actually seems sound to you, but anyone who understand the situation see's the massive holes you left in it.

The users who spearheaded the exploitation are not playing for fun, they are playing to eat...IRL. They have a system that is tested and true if Cryptic wants to beat them, they are off to a horrible start.

You are correct, a wipe means we are back to square 1 in a month or so..Unless we fix the game before we wipe it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • daegrosdaegros Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The need for a wipe exists because everyone who has been around knows how these kind of guys work.By now they have muled AD and items away on so many accounts,using VPN and proxy connections that Cryptic is down right insulting us by saying they can track them down.

Dear god, go read a SQL 101 book. The problem isn't the stashed AD, it's the people smart enough to stash the rarer items they bought off the AH with the fake AD from a legit player. Or the Zen from the AD->Zen store from legit players.

The market will be fine within a month. 20 days (~1 day of which was heavily exploited by the masses, the other 19 were at least 'smart' about doing it in moderation) of fubar AD isn't going to ruin an MMO. And any "exploiter" dumb enough to have kept the pure AD is probably already flagged. I'm sure Cryptic has a nice big list (from the easy data analysis they can do from the obvious symptoms of the exploit itself) of even more that have converted them into other currencies/items.

The only problem is what do they do when it affects an otherwise legit player? How do you punish the exploiter without punishing a 3rd party who has no choice of denying a sale, thanks to AH mechanics. Finding a big list of AH winners with negative point bids took them all of 10 seconds to write the query for. Probably took a nice chunk longer to run it, but still. The problem isn't the data, it's simply they don't have much they can do to force anything except pure AD or Zen that doesn't hurt a ton of legit players.
  • shaduosshaduos Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    Yeah because WoW invented BoP.

Actually before WoW most equipment in MMOs didn't even bind on equip. You were done using an item you could sell it to someone else. I was playing EQ mainly at that point and they didn't start adding that bind <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> until WoW came out. It was a way to make people play more, because now you couldn't get your buddies old raid gear piece if he got something better. You had to go get your own.
  • gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    In this game 75% of end game players were exploiting. Also many exploited to get to 60 so they could exploit.

The circular argument you are using actually seems sound to you, but anyone who understand the situation see's the massive holes you left in it.

The users who spearheaded the exploitation are not playing for fun, they are playing to eat...IRL. They have a system that is tested and true if Cryptic wants to beat them, they are off to a horrible start.

You can't fully beat them. They exist in every game. You close one exploit they find another one. In time it'll become public knowledge. This is true and has been true. You realize there were exploits in wow that enabled people to one shot bosses, make obscene gold, and more right? A wipe isn't a solution. They'd be wiping every few weeks. This isn't circular logic you can't hit the reset button whenever things go wrong.

Have you seen some of the videos people posted about d3? It's not just related to d3. They have rooms. Filled with computers stacked above computers. Rooms full of this. Each with accounts botting and running. As legitimate players you will NEVER compete with that. Ever. And they do more damage than any exploiter ever will. This cannot be efficiently or completely stopped. This is why games have adopted the BOP system. So they can't get massive numbers of raid gear and sell it out.
  • zophie#5279 zophie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried to buy cats off people all day, just to see if they were trollin, and not a single one of the trolls would actually sell one. Don't believe everything you read in zone chat guys, internet 101. They think it's funny, and it gets people riled up and they make posts like this one because of it, and they love the attention so they keep on doing it. Don't feed the trolls.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No one offered me a free cat while I played nor did I see one offered in Zone chat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just an FYI, I have a Cat.

Her name is Molly. She's training for rank 25 as we speak. Wanna know how the Cat exploit affected me?

Not one bit.

Just sayin'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swell1swell1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    P.S. I find it interesting that swell's view actually conflicts with clockwerk. Clockwerk is concerned that the exploits has made end game gear to cheap. Too many in circulation for cheating. Swell feels things have been marked up too much. I challenge you, swell, what is overpriced and what goods are outrageously marked?

Aye, there os alot of ridiculously cheap gear as well, next to a 8 mil AD dagger, 400K-2.5Mil for certain enchantments. but yeah, many great peices are now very cheap, which is another point of concern... those that finally get there, and make that legit loot, are now getting shafted by suprememly low prices, not getting the glory of a sweet honey sale.. alot of ppl selling choice peices for like 15 gold on zone... which, ok, I'm not even caring so much about prices and things I can't obtain, so much as I'm not getting "new Toon" smell I like in a game, where we all have the same trials to overcome with somewhat the same tools, and when we meet at the finish line, it's a pride to see others wearing those purple victories like badges of honor. But without a wipe, I see nothing but possible exploiters, and friends of exploiters, and cats. which is something i may personally wanna breath out the bad, and breathe in the good... but thats really where it stands for me, over-wary of those I'm bleeding next to atm

Edit*
    You are correct, a wipe means we are back to square 1 in a month or so..Unless we fix the game before we wipe it
  • thehalostrikethehalostrike Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    amateurs.. all of them.
    edited May 2013
    swell1 wrote: »
    Aye, there os alot of ridiculously cheap gear as well, next to a 8 mil AD dagger, 400K-2.5Mil for certain enchantments. but yeah, many great peices are now very cheap, which is another point of concern... those that finally get there, and make that legit loot, are now getting shafted by suprememly low prices, not getting the glory of a sweet honey sale.. alot of ppl selling choice peices for like 15 gold on zone... which, ok, I'm not even caring so much about prices and things I can't obtain, so much as I'm not getting "new Toon" smell I like in a game, where we all have the same trials to overcome with somewhat the same tools, and when we meet at the finish line, it's a pride to see others wearing those purple victories like badges of honor. But without a wipe, I see nothing but possible exploiters, and friends of exploiters, and cats. which is something i may personally wanna breath out the bad, and breathe in the good... but thats really where it stands for me, over-wary of those I'm bleeding next to atm

The cat sellers are fake. It's people trolling. The big explosion that happened got fixed with the seven hour rollback. The massive exploiters, many have been dealt with, but no one can completely get rid of exploits. Look at the computer example. The dark side of the mmo gaming is bleak. It's like food. You don't want to think that many of the candy/food you eat has small tiny little bugs in it but it does. Such as peanutbutter and many others. In any mmo bots are there. Even if you don't notice them much like the aforementioned bugs. Thousands upon thousands of bots are run daily on every mmo farming. There is billions upon billions of gold in circulation among the gold sellers in wow alone. The thing is.. you can't buy gear in wow for gold so people don't notice it as much but they exist.

Enchants ARE relatively expensive but look at the cost to make the end game enchants? You need 16 coalescent wards to guarantee an enchant and those aren't cheap. Then the enchant has to be sold for a profit. This isn't a markup this is a normal price. Gear is cheap because getting tier gear isn't hard. Especially pvp gear. I have seen some weapons for outrageous prices of course.. I've seen the same ones posted much less. During the bloom prices got expensive but that was due to EVERYONE abusing the exploit. The 7 hours being reverted solved that problem.
  • futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    haha
    OP got trolled.
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daegros wrote: »
    Dear god, go read a SQL 101 book. The problem isn't the stashed AD, it's the people smart enough to stash the rarer items they bought off the AH with the fake AD from a legit player. Or the Zen from the AD->Zen store from legit players.

The market will be fine within a month. 20 days (~1 day of which was heavily exploited by the masses, the other 19 were at least 'smart' about doing it in moderation) of fubar AD isn't going to ruin an MMO. And any "exploiter" dumb enough to have kept the pure AD is probably already flagged. I'm sure Cryptic has a nice big list (from the easy data analysis they can do from the obvious symptoms of the exploit itself) of even more that have converted them into other currencies/items.

The only problem is what do they do when it affects an otherwise legit player? How do you punish the exploiter without punishing a 3rd party who has no choice of denying a sale, thanks to AH mechanics. Finding a big list of AH winners with negative point bids took them all of 10 seconds to write the query for. Probably took a nice chunk longer to run it, but still. The problem isn't the data, it's simply they don't have much they can do to force anything except pure AD or Zen that doesn't hurt a ton of legit players.

I get that you think they will be able to piece this together from data base,however I know that it is not going to happen that way.

As far as your SQL101 remark, if that is what you working with then I see how you may think everything is fine..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
    edited May 2013
    Yea, the cat sellers are trolls ..Honestly that goes without saying..Hell OP is probably trolling.

It is also the symbol of shame for this whole event.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swell1swell1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is my first PWE experience,be it ever so optimistic atm, and I am reserving my opinion for now

So Gaer, I hope ur right.
  • unimatrixalpha1unimatrixalpha1 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WTB Shadow Weaver set, paying 60 Cats.

However, no one will take my offer for my imaginary cats.
    edited May 2013
    Yea, the cat sellers are trolls ..Honestly that goes without saying..Hell OP is probably trolling.

It is also the symbol of shame for this whole event.

I missed you saying before "You're right in a month we'll be right back here." The problem is it'll be like that regardless. Why? As I mentioned. Rooms full of bots farming. Even if no exploits existed the "Gold sellers" will still be in the billions of astral diamonds before anyone else. There's not much that can be done about it. A legitimate player will never compete with them and their hundreds to thousands of accounts all farming simultaneously. It's like the bugs in your food example. If you look for them you might just find them but whether you know they're there or not they are. No matter where you eat it's the same story. You ignore it and move on or.. you make yourself sick. The best they can do is continue to ban and monitor their auction house as much as they can. Ban the greatest offenders and remain vigilant.

They can do this now it all depends on the determination of the company but corruption will always exist.
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey All,

We continually monitoring the situation and will make sure to take the appropriate follow-up actions if additional issues are discovered. Right now we are sorting out the legitimate reports from the people who are just posting stuff like that to be funny. :)

Keep it up! I have faith in you guys. I understand that diligence is needed to weed out the good from the bad. Never mind the poison pit of negativity.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    asakochan wrote: »
    go watch some streams, people shows their bags, with 20 cats in it!

Exactly. But oh wait, we can't talk about that. Everything is all fine and dandy! Nothing to see here. The ban and 7 hour rollback worked. Move along!
    edited May 2013
    LOLCAT! Invades Neverwinter ...Film at 11.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Im thinking about a foundry quest "the great wipe" where u have nothing else to do but kill cat's....
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
    edited May 2013
    Exactly. But oh wait, we can't talk about that. Everything is all fine and dandy! Nothing to see here. The ban and 7 hour rollback worked. Move along!

Asako was lying and was called out on it back when that was originally posted. I asked for the streamer but asako said that he/she couldn't post it. Myself and several others clicked every streamer and none had bags full of cats nor a buttload of astrals. Asako went quiet after being confronted.
  • dieknowsoredieknowsore Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    economy is ****ed
    edited May 2013
    economy is ****ed

Not any worse than it was a week ago. In other words the economy is fine.
    edited May 2013
    Not any worse than it was a week ago. In other words the economy is fine.

Actually right now, their is no economy it is offline. What is come down to now is, do you have faith that Cryptic can outsmart an army of gold farmers. ...I am sorry, but I just do not think they can..Hell I'm not sure the CIA could.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Actually right now, their is no economy it is offline. What is come down to now is, do you have faith that Cryptic can outsmart an army of gold farmers. ...I am sorry, but I just do not think they can..Hell I'm not sure the CIA could.

Do I think they can outsmart them? No. To me that would be catching them all and getting rid of them. Considering bigger teams with far more money can't do that? The answer is no but the thing is.. neither can anyone else. Heck, Blizzard can't even do that. They have the most popular, biggest, mmo with 15 dollars a month from over 8,000,000 gamers. Even with that kind of cash and resources they can't get rid of them. So either we accept they exist and move on or.. you avoid playing any mmo. What Cryptic can do is try to minimize the effect they have as much as possible. Do I think Crpytic can do that? To a degree, yes.

While yes the auction house is offline the main exploit has been dealt with. As has the damage caused by it becoming public knowledge. There's no way it can be worse than it was prior to the exploit being dealt with. It can only be equal to what it was prior or better. Personally I figure it's going to be equal (which really it should be better given how long the auction house has been down but I always come in with low expectations. It allows me to be pleasantly surprised at times.)
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do I think they can outsmart them? No. To me that would be catching them all and getting rid of them. Considering bigger teams with far more money can't do that? The answer is no but the thing is.. neither can anyone else. Heck, Blizzard can't even do that. They have the most popular, biggest, mmo with 15 dollars a month from over 8,000,000 gamers. Even with that kind of cash and resources they can't get rid of them. So either we accept they exist and move on or.. you avoid playing any mmo. What Cryptic can do is try to minimize the effect they have as much as possible. Do I think Crpytic can do that? To a degree, yes.
    Technically there are ways to eliminate gold farmers, but practically all of them involves removing any sort of currency-based economy, so...
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Technically there are ways to eliminate gold farmers, but practically all of them involves removing any sort of currency-based economy, so...

Indeed. Which is an unpopular idea. Less money from the company and also it irritates the player base as well. In fact, not even just currency. They'd have to remove trade period. Remove currency and then items act as currency (see d2). Sellers will then farm said items to use as bargaining chips. In D2 you can go to third party websites and buy the best gear in the game.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Indeed. Which is an unpopular idea. Less money from the company and also it irritates the player base as well. In fact, not even just currency. They'd have to remove trade period. Remove currency and then items act as currency (see d2). Sellers will then farm said items to use as bargaining chips. In D2 you can go to third party websites and buy the best gear in the game.

Not really, so long as there's no consistent single item to act as currency. Though admittedly "gearfarmers" can sell gear directly, but at that point it becomes impractical for the average person who presumably (granted assumption) prefers the straightforwardness of a universal currency to get whatever they want after. (the more savvy would presumably know the full risks of using said gearfarmers)

Then again, this would require itemization to be designed as such right from the start, so is not really applicable to NW regardless.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No one is selling cats currently, at least at the Cat-astrophic price (40-50 g).

This either means:

- There are less cats than we think in the market.

Or:

- Cat sellers are waiting for the AH to be online again.

Either ways, I predict a few days of inflation. Duped AD is still around, but since Neverwinter has huge money sinks, it's a good assumption that it will wear down in a few days. Also, people will be eager to spend some of their stockpiled AD in fear of being traced. Meaning either more cats, or other goodies that are easy to sell.

So, if there really is lots of duped AD, the cat price will skyrocket down. Even if people have MILLIONS to spend, no one would buy it less than 980 k AD. But no one wants to have 30 cats in their bags either, so they'll accept a lower pice in order to launder their savings.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!