test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

First CO, then STO and now NW.

wastingsanitywastingsanity Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
All 3 games have been plagued with issues.

Champions Online released with tons of bugs and no end game. Refunds given to Life Time/Founders within the first month. Community is not happy with Cryptic/Atari

STO beta reveals a game that is barely half done or maybe 65% complete. STO is released in even worse condition. Many customers do not make the transition because we learned our lessons with CO. Community is still not happy with Cryptic/Atari.

NW open beta begins. Many wiser members of the community question why the game launches at open beta. Game is riddled with bugs. Customer service is just a deplorable as it was when under the thumb of Atari. Game economy crashes. Roll back initiated. Community is now not happy with Cryptic/Perfect World.

I understand history repeats itself, but I thought it was suppose to be a hundred plus years. Why can't you repeat history with City of Heroes already...gosh!

Now if there are still millions to billions of ADs out there hidden on mules. You should see a continuing spike of Zen being work more and more as the AD value drops. This means you will see 1 Zen worth about 1000 AD by the end of the week or sooner.

Eventually it will be so lopsided the market will normalize with there being little to no reason to run AD quests because it isn't worth but a spec of value and Cryptic will be forced to adjust the rewards across the board. Refining the system in order for it to be worth running the current quests or daily quests that give rewards. This would include anything else that gives ADs. Crafting, praying, etc.

Example: Inflation was so bad in Germany that money became worthless. Here a child is using money as a toy. Money was used as wallpaper, to make kites. Towards the end of 1923, so much money was needed, people had to carry it about in wheel barrows. You hear stories of people stealing the wheel barrow, but leaving the money.

Printing more money is exactly what Weimar Germany did in 1922. To meet Allied reparations, they printed more money; this caused the hyper inflation of the 1920s. The hyper inflation led to the collapse of the economy.

Site:http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/634/economics/the-problem-with-printing-money/
If you want to see the lil houses of money check out the link and scroll down to the pic.

We mainly just have to wait for the exchange to come back up. Depending on what the market does will determine if all the pilfered AD was stopped from entering the market.
Post edited by wastingsanity on

Comments

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wasn't around for launch or the f2p transitions in STO, but in the time I've played it, it's seemed to be going along nicely. /shrug
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I didn't see it's economy crash like this one had, so I didn't mention it. But the bug in the AH or whatever it was originated from STO. We are talking a F2P game and Star Trek here. You have to remember that STO came out in... 2009 - 2010? I forget which.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All 3 games have been plagued with issues.

We mainly just have to wait for the exchange to come back up. Depending on what the market does will determine if all the pilfered AD was stopped from entering the market.

Yea I've come to the same conclusion. Cryptic/PW are just out for a quick buck.. I mean look at their games... For the most part they are technically sound.. Its the dumb dumb dumb decisions that the non-technical side of the house makes that ruins these games. Look at STO.. omg it was bad at release.. Both the copies I bought for myself and my girlfriend are sitting here unwrapped on my shelf. I didn't even make it out of beta. I couldn't even sell the unwrapped copies for $10 each on craiglist.
  • Options
    mazikenmaziken Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STO has gotten leaps and bounds better since the launch. With the expansion launching on Tuesday, the KDF side now has a full story and is "complete" and we have an entirely new "faction" with the Romulans. Did it take forever? Sure. Was it impossible to level a KDF character before? Nope. Was STO bad at launch? Definitely.

However, now, it is a very fun game and Cryptic has done an amazing job with it. If you have not tried it recently, I encourage you to do so!
  • Options
    elfkicker5000elfkicker5000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Two thoughts:

1. I think comparing the economy of this game to that of 1920's Germany might, just might, be a hyperbole.
    2. STO has improved immeasurably in the time since it was launched.
    Thanks, Dave and Gary.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Of course the STO has. But you need to look at the launches in order to compare them properly. And if Astral Diamonds flood the market in NW... it will be a proper comparison since it has an exchange rate for AD to Zen and Zen to AD. Remember this is player controlled. If players are scared or feel that their Zen is worth more now because of the possibility of AD being over abundant. The value of Zen goes up.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    actually, I'd point out they ****ed up the launch of CoH too, then proceeded to nerf even more **** into oblivion on Jack Emmert's orders.

CoH never really hit its stride until the game was sold and most of the original cryptic team under Positron/Matt Miller stayed on to fix the game.

and yet Emmert still rides CoH's coattails like he was any help to the game.
  • Options
    kynttilakynttila Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Of course the STO has. But you need to look at the launches in order to compare them properly. And if Astral Diamonds flood the market in NW... it will be a proper comparison since it has an exchange rate for AD to Zen and Zen to AD. Remember this is player controlled. If players are scared or feel that their Zen is worth more now because of the possibility of AD being over abundant. The value of Zen goes up.

zen value caps at 500, it will be there for months and any decent item costs 10x more in AH if they can't clean the economy. Legit players can't do ****.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    From what I can recall CoH was a lot better compared to everything else that has come out of Cryptic. The nerfs were not fun but that is rather typical. The game was considered complete at launch. A lot of content to keep everyone busy for quite some time (at least for the first month or so). You didn't feel like you were rushed to cap (Max level).
    kynttila wrote: »
    zen value caps at 500, it will be there for months and any decent item costs 10x more in AH if they can't clean the economy. Legit players can't do ****.

Which sucks since I was closing in on my mount. I don't have much left to accomplish in the game. Since it is very light on content.
  • Options
    oblongshipoblongship Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    It is almost adorable how little people understand about development really...

Do you think they have a say in when it is released, or do you think the publisher dictates that so they can begin to recoup some investments?

Do you think they have unlimited money to iron out everything?

Do you think they have as much time as they want to work on things before release?

Do you even think they have the resources to give you the experience you want in the time you want?

Most importantly...Do you think any dev team that has worked many long/hard nights on a game would purposely release a game with bug/exploits just for the heck of it to see it fail?

Get a grip on reality...
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kynttila wrote: »

Exactly.

/10char
  • Options
    synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    actually, I'd point out they ****ed up the launch of CoH too, then proceeded to nerf even more **** into oblivion on Jack Emmert's orders.

CoH never really hit its stride until the game was sold and most of the original cryptic team under Positron/Matt Miller stayed on to fix the game.

and yet Emmert still rides CoH's coattails like he was any help to the game.

This. He gets cred for his "vision" and rightly so for making it happen but that game got loads better after he jumped ship.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    oblongship wrote: »
    It is almost adorable how little people understand about development really...

Do you think they have a say in when it is released, or do you think the publisher dictates that so they can begin to recoup some investments?

Do you think they have unlimited money to iron out everything?

Do you think they have as much time as they want to work on things before release?

Do you even think they have the resources to give you the experience you want in the time you want?

Most importantly...Do you think any dev team that has worked many long/hard nights on a game would purposely release a game with bug/exploits just for the heck of it to see it fail?

Get a grip on reality...

LOL
    I know all of this. I understand all of this. You do realize that Perfect World owns Cryptic? Atari owned Cryptic before and sold Cryptic to Perfect World.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/31/perfect-world-acquires-cryptic-studios/

Perfect World in no longer just a publisher they are a game maker and Cryptic is a subsidiary of Perfect world. In a "Perfect World" you would have plenty of time. See what I did there? One would think something as simple as the bug that happened yesterday would have never of happened since.... It happened in STO! You would think that they would have tested for that exact same bug?!

But then again, I have first hand experience with Cryptic's customer service and it isn't pretty so if that is a reflection of the devs. Oh gosh... just isn't pretty. But the reason for my original post is basically a wake up call for those blindly defending Cryptic/Perfect World without realizing what might be around the corner because they only had a simple roll back.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    LOL
    I know all of this. I understand all of this. You do realize that Perfect World owns Cryptic? Atari owned Cryptic before and sold Cryptic to Perfect World.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/31/perfect-world-acquires-cryptic-studios/

Perfect World in no longer just a publisher they are a game maker and Cryptic is a subsidiary of Perfect world. In a "Perfect World" you would have plenty of time. See what I did there? One would think something as simple as the bug that happened yesterday would have never of happened since.... It happened in STO! You would think that they would have tested for that exact same bug?!

But then again, I have first hand experience with Cryptic's customer service and it isn't pretty so if that is a reflection of the devs. Oh gosh... just isn't pretty. But the reason for my original post is basically a wake up call for those blindly defending Cryptic/Perfect World without realizing what might be around the corner because they only had a simple roll back.

My same questions still apply...
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I think what he is meaning is why have old bugs that they have known about in their older games occurred in their new shiny one.
    As someone that plays CO, STO and now NW I can see that His original post has a point.

NW uses the CO engine in away its like CO.3 all the bugs should be ironed out by now :<

*edit* a game engine that has been kicking about for over 5 years.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Ah so you didn't. They have as much time and money as they allocate or believes the project deserves before they wish to have return on their investment. Odds are the rushed release of this product was caused because of the recent acquisition of Cryptic. But my question is was it a valid choice? Do you realize that companies take losses all the time in order to secure happy customers? Then make profit at a later date.

With the in game store... you would think that you would want the most complete and bug free game at launch. Wait, are you one of those people that swear up and down it is in open beta and hasn't launched yet? (In case you are: 5 day head start means it is a launch. Other wise, why would they need a 5 day head start on open beta? Wait why would there be no wipes at the completion of open beta? Because it was a launch.) Releasing a bad game will hurt the company in more ways than one. It also tarnishes the company's name Cryptic and Perfect World.

And yes this is not a new game engine. Is Cryptic losing programers constantly that they can not stabilize their own engine?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    I think what he is meaning is why have old bugs that they have known about in their older games occurred in their new shiny one.
    As someone that plays CO, STO and now NW I can see that His original post has a point.

NW uses the CO engine in away its like CO.3 all the bugs should be ironed out by now :<

*edit* a game engine that has been kicking about for over 5 years.

I can see your point and it is valid, but going form game to game not all of the scripts/programming is the same as you already know.

The engine itself can have bugs and those are usually the most costly/time consuming ones to fix, especially if you were not the one who created the engine in the first place.

What usually happens with issues like these are bandaids instead of "Fixes" but unless it is a huge exploit they are usually on the "We will get to it when we can" list.

We have to remember that most likely these aren't the same exact people who worked on STO and CO. These are new employees on a different team finding all these bugs out for themselves.

They don't want the game to be buggy and this is part of their ramp up time on this engine.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ah so you didn't. They have as much time and money as they allocate or believes the project deserves before they wish to have return on their investment. Odds are the rushed release of this product was caused because of the recent acquisition of Cryptic. But my question is was it a valid choice? Do you realize that companies take losses all the time in order to secure happy customers? Then make profit at a later date.

With the in game store... you would think that you would want the most complete and bug free game at launch. Wait, are you one of those people that swear up and down it is in open beta and hasn't launched yet? (In case you are: 5 day head start means it is a launch. Other wise, why would they need a 5 day head start on open beta? Wait why would there be no wipes at the completion of open beta? Because it was a launch.) Releasing a bad game will hurt the company in more ways than one. It also tarnishes the company's name Cryptic and Perfect World.

And yes this is not a new game engine. Is Cryptic losing programers constantly that they can not stabilize their own engine?

You should really stop talking...your ignorance is showing.

But honestly the more you reply the more you show your lack of understanding on how real game development works...

Read my reply above this one...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    We have to remember that most likely these aren't the same exact people who worked on STO and CO. These are new employees on a different team finding all these bugs out for themselves.

They don't want the game to be buggy and this is part of their ramp up time on this engine.

No they pretty much are the same people the devs are sort of chatty in CO and Trek channels not so much here. Its pretty much the same lot. Cryptic ain't that big a company people wise it seems. I think its that fact that causes the problems. Stretched way to thinly.
  • Options
    sagasaintsagasaint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    actually NWO is more akin to old PWE games than Cryptic's
    CO and STO can be attributed to incompetence. the current status of NWO is pure, fat-free malice delivered by your lovely PWE folks
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No they pretty much are the same people the devs are sort of chatty in CO and Trek channels not so much here. Its pretty much the same lot. Cryptic ain't that big a company people wise it seems. I think its that fact that causes the problems. Stretched way to thinly.

This. Its the same reason CO has practically been rotting for a year. All hands on deck for Neverwinter seems to mean zero hands on deck for CO
  • Options
    edited May 2013

If it is the same team you are right, stretched between 3 projects you would be stretched very thin.

Most likely they are split up into teams, every studio I have worked at if we are working on multiple games the programmers are split into teams to focus on that one project. The smallest studio I worked at was 72 people 30 of which were programmers and we had 3 teams.

Not to mention other ones were split up into AI development, UI scripting, weapons etc...

That being said, we can't honestly say whether or not they have experienced these bugs within this engine or if simply the priority is lower for some of these bugs than the actual development of the game, which has to march on no matter what.

Art, Producers, SFX etc can be on multiple projects with little impact...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sagasaint wrote: »
    actually NWO is more akin to old PWE games than Cryptic's
    CO and STO can be attributed to incompetence. the current status of NWO is pure, fat-free malice delieved by your lovely PWE folks

Yeah the praying ,sparkle ponehs and little quest lines yes very Forsaken Worldish. But thats not the issue. Its the engine, its a very buggy engine, they have had the time to fix it. PWE themselves don't really have a western dev unit, thats why they bought Cryptic so they could have some western made games. I would agree the buck stops with Perfect World they are the real guys in charge, but on the way there we should give Cryptic a quick kick to the bawls.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You should really stop talking...your ignorance is showing.

But honestly the more you reply the more you show your lack of understanding on how real game development works...

Read my reply above this one...

Actually I am treating you like how you started to treat me with your first post. Doesn't feel good does it? Common courtesy goes a long way. Even on forums.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I would like to add though all the bugs aside all three games are very good MMO's. All MMO's are buggy its the nature of the beast :<
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I would like to add though all the bugs aside all three games are very good MMO's. All MMO's are buggy its the nature of the beast :<

All 3 were incomplete at release though. NW is MMO Light, extremely light. It is a decent game, but only about a 6 out of 10. It has a lot of potential but that probably wont be seen for another year or so.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    All 3 were incomplete at release though. NW is MMO Light, extremely light. It is a decent game, but only about a 6 out of 10. It has a lot of potential but that probably wont be seen for another year or so.

if ever at all.
  • Options
    aeofellaeofell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the worst thing with STO was when I cancelled my sub after 6 months, and they decided to auto renew it all by themselves 2 month later lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Actually I am treating you like how you started to treat me with your first post. Doesn't feel good does it? Common courtesy goes a long way. Even on forums.

Cry me a river really...

I will make it easy for you....If you don't like the game then leave and never look back...It is a free to play title...

You do no good by sitting here calling doom on the game this early in its dev/release cycle.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I agree completely...heck some bugs/exploits wont/can't even be found until a large amount of people start using the game, as far a feedback it goes along the same path. A lot of time an idea on paper isn't good in the actual release of the game and a lot of time what you pass and think is great is not liked by the community.

PTR's are great for weeding some of it out, but the bottom line is you need a large amount of people using it to weed most of these things out so you can begin polish.