test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thank you, Cryptic. (The non-backhanded "Thank You" thread.)

Comments

• imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    See you when Module 1 comes out. ;)
    Hate to break it to you, but this is a troll remark. Also requesting that Cryptic remove all comments but thank you ones and disregarding others for having a separate opinion other than yours is a troll remark. Telling posters that are posting concerns in a reasonable manner that they are whining is a troll remark.

You do realize what trolling is right?

I'm pretty sure he'll be back for Module 1.

Your lack of faith is disturbing, quite frankly!
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You do realize what trolling is right?

This is a Thank You thread. What, exactly, is the point of posting negative stuff here and trying to bait people or cause controversy? Doing whatever to get a raise out of people is trolling.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • jaelrinyajaelrinya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you Cryptic / PW.

This could have been worse and you made a hard choice and get a lot of flak because of that. I see a lot of people who are already complaining because of the 7 hour rollback. Imagine what a ****storm would rage through this forum if you would do a full character wipe... :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work and make sure the exploiters are banned and the problems are fixed! :)
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    And you're saying this to the person who was called a troll.

Cute avatar or not, you wore out your welcome in this "Thank You" thread in your first reply. Now you're just rubbing it in.
    I said it to both of you, I updated the post almost immediately.

Also this isn't your thread so it doesn't really matter what you think.
    Right, and some people are willing to get their faces blown off for our country. So we should force all adults to do it, right? You can't justify the sacrifice of everyone by justifying your own sacrifice. Remember, we're trying to actually help people. If we nuke the playerbase like this now, many will quit, which will also hurt the long-term integrity of the game (and the short term will be miserable for everyone).
    You REALLY don't know how analogies work do you?
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wastingsanity and Maho4200 are just trying to get a rise out of me, it's alright. Kind of signed up for it when I made this thread.

To all the people arriving to say "Thank you", it's much appreciated. :)
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
  • wastingsanitywastingsanity Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    This is a Thank You thread. What, exactly, is the point of posting negative stuff here and trying to bait people or cause controversy? Doing whatever to get a raise out of people is trolling.

So questioning or trying to reason with a person is negative now? That is quite interesting. I guess teachers are the biggest trolls of them all. Well at least in your mind. Ah well.. I will help out them ~passes out horse blinders that say "Thank you Cryptic for your last 3 world record breaking MMOs"~

Better?

I used to blame Atari... but I know better now. :D
    Wastingsanity and Maho4200 are just trying to get a rise out of me, it's alright. Kind of signed up for it when I made this thread.

To all the people arriving to say "Thank you", it's much appreciated. :)

Actually I was trying to talk to you are a gamer and a person. But alas...
    edited May 2013
    I've updated the OP with a picture showing how all of this went down.
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So questioning or trying to reason with a person is negative now?

You are doing neither. You're just trying to rain on his parade.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    You are doing neither. You're just trying to rain on his parade.

Thank you, Rictras. :)
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So questioning or trying to reason with a person is negative now?

Why would you try to convince people, who feel thankful for something, that they should not be thankful? You don't have to agree with them, but why tell them how they "should" feel? The topic starter wasn't looking for a discussion or to be reasoned with. He simply expressed that he appreciates the way how a dire situation was handled (I do, too).

How many people who like the game and believe in it make "OH NO, PLEASE STAY!" posts in those "I quit!" threads? Hardly anyone. But people who, for whatever reason, dislike the game or disagree with how yesterday's exploit was handled, can't seem to reset the urge to try and drag down and derail every single positive thread there is. I don't know many companies who would let this kind of stuff go unchecked on their forums, but PWE seems very lenient. Maybe to a fault.

Trying to tell people how they should feel, or that how they feel is wrong, is equal to telling them that they are idiots. There is no right or wrong way to feel about PWE's decision. You can agree or disagree, but however you feel about it is "right". I certainly won't tell you or Maho or anyone else that how you feel is not okay. It is. It's how you feel and I respect that, even if I have a different take on the issue. Matter of respect, you see.
    edited May 2013
    Well said, imivo, very elegantly put.

For the record, I have nothing but respect for the opposing views of the debate. I just don't feel those remarks have been on-topic in this "Thank You" thread.

I actually appreciate how many people were willing to sacrifice their characters and progress to "nuke this problem from orbit". Where I began to lose that appreciation for these people, was when I began to see how ready and willing they were to nuke everyone else's characters and progress without input or notice whatsoever. I don't believe these are the people I'd want in charge of my money.

But, you know how the saying goes, "Some people just want to watch the world burn."
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    We already have a couple of brown-nosing threads you could have used one of those :)

^ this /10char
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why would you try to convince people, who feel thankful for something, that they should not be thankful? You don't have to agree with them, but why tell them how they "should" feel?
    Indeed, there is no point in explaining to dumb people that they are dumb, because if they could understand that, they wouldn't be.
    edited May 2013
    Indeed, there is no point in explaining to dumb people that they are dumb, because if they could understand that, they wouldn't be.

Indeed, dumb people believe that they are smarter than anyone else, and that everyone who does not share their True Opinion must, therefore, be dumb. After all, how could they not see The Truth(tm)?
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why would you try to convince people, who feel thankful for something, that they should not be thankful? You don't have to agree with them, but why tell them how they "should" feel? The topic starter wasn't looking for a discussion or to be reasoned with. He simply expressed that he appreciates the way how a dire situation was handled (I do, too).

How many people who like the game and believe in it make "OH NO, PLEASE STAY!" posts in those "I quit!" threads? Hardly anyone. But people who, for whatever reason, dislike the game or disagree with how yesterday's exploit was handled, can't seem to reset the urge to try and drag down and derail every single positive thread there is. I don't know many companies who would let this kind of stuff go unchecked on their forums, but PWE seems very lenient. Maybe to a fault.

Trying to tell people how they should feel, or that how they feel is wrong, is equal to telling them that they are idiots. There is no right or wrong way to feel about PWE's decision. You can agree or disagree, but however you feel about it is "right". I certainly won't tell you or Maho or anyone else that how you feel is not okay. It is. It's how you feel and I respect that, even if I have a different take on the issue. Matter of respect, you see.

THIS^ x 10000

I have noticed that there is way too much of that going one, the hate machine screaming": "This sucks and anyone who disagrees is an idiot!" My question is why are you trying so hard (and sorry spending ten to fifteen hours a day making snarky comments is trying hard) to sway or discredit those who truly enjoy this game, is it hurting you personally?

It's cool to dislike a game, I dislike many, but I don't have this atavistic need to tell people over and over why I don't and how dumb anyone is who disagrees with me. Life is too short and there are too many games I do enjoy.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited May 2013

They're not dumb, they're just socio-economically challenged. :p
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
    edited May 2013
    The best way to sum it up is. Consumers that accept low quality products and express gratitude for said product are ruining the market place for games. It is a horrible trend since WoW came out. The game was incomplete. I played it for 3 months at release and I was out. I was in shock with just how bad the game was. I hit max level, had top tier gear, was in the top 15 pvpers on my server... and all the quests in the game were taken from shows, movies, cartoons or what not from the 80s and 90s.

WoW was a digital sitcom. I beat the game (no more available content) and that at least took a whole month at the time to hit 60. It had a lot more content in it at release than NW has. I think CO has more content in it at release than this game has.

It is just highly unnerving when a product with potential still isn't there and people are cheering on a huge blunder that could lead to an in game market collapse within the next 2 days. This is simple economics.
  • carrotpakcarrotpak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for handling this situation in the fairest manner possible.

Outside of the dramatic debates that ensued here, if there had been a days-wide rollback or wipe, there would have been many thousands of players who never checked in during the drama, who never had any say, who would have simply logged in to find everything gone. People who did nothing but play and enjoy your game, everyone from founders to free players. People who deserved no punishment for the actions of less-savory types.

You made a hard choice, and undoubtedly gave yourself more detective work in the days to come, but you made the fair choice to impact as few people as possible.

I like to be supportive when I can be, but this wasn't just a test of my loyalty--it was also a test of PWE and Cryptic's loyalty to players.

Never thought I'd say this as a big Paragon Studios fan (not backhanded, just a friendly jab--you know we're a hard lot to please :p), but you've earned my business. Keep it up! :cool:

37990256.jpg

nice try bootlicker
    edited May 2013
    They're not dumb, they're just socio-economically challenged. :p

Or they are simply smarter than you. I am a CO Founder. I learned my lesson already. But you are just beginning yours. :)
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You don't think it's prudent to watch the economy before nuking every innocent player's character out of existence? Brilliant.

Folks, precision and patience are called for. Knee-jerk reactions are never good if there's no immediate concern. If we do need to wipe, letting the game go for a few days to watch the economy will not hurt. On the other hand, if the economy is okay, then you'd be destroying millions of hours of work done by innocent players. That would have serious long-term repercussions, forget the immediate repercussions of everyone having to start over...

I support this thread, by the way. Thank you, Cryptic, for keeping a cool head (as so many are incapable of) throughout this situation. You have made many mistakes, but this is certainly not one of them.

This, +1, QFT!
    edited May 2013
    Or they are simply smarter than you. I am a CO Founder. I learned my lesson already. But you are just beginning yours. :)

Dude, take a step back and look at your posts. You're just filled with vitriol and vinegar. You might have some good suggestions but any dev would be neck deep in your thorny personality trying to parse them out from all the garbage you bury them in. Your treatise on MMOs above (are you seriously telling us all about WoW?) is just par for the course. If the devs invited you over for BBQ and a fix-a-thon, they'd have to snore through your history of 1920s Europe or something before they could get anything useful out of you. And then they'd discover that you were really just a pinata filled with angry complaints about whatever the topic at hand was.

Here's a suggestion. Get a new personality and then we'll talk. :p
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I take it you don't talk to yourself then :)
    edited May 2013
    The best way to sum it up is. Consumers that accept low quality products and express gratitude for said product are ruining the market place for games. It is a horrible trend since WoW came out.

Plenty of games I bought in the 1980s were bugged and incomplete, and it was impossible or expensive to get patches (BBS overseas, CompuServe, etc), if they were offered at all.

I don't agree that Neverwinter is a low quality product. Looking at the past ten years, there were only a handful of games that I put so much time into. They were WoW, Titan Quest (to satisfy my D2 needs), Borderlands 2 and Skyrim. If we go back further, D2, NWN1, Ultima Online. And even further, Legends of Kesmai, Dungeon Master, UU: Stygian Abyss, and Elite. Further back even, Pitfall on the 2600. :p

WoW, for all its faults, was not a bad game. They did a lot of stuff right, just can't please everyone. I don't play it anymore and I played it much longer than I enjoyed it, but if I put aside my personal grudges (playing a feral for two years of frost mage dominance made me resent the whole thing), I can't deny that it had many good aspects.

People like different things. I buy 3-5 full price games per month on average, and have done so for over two decades (not counting teenage and childhood years where I didn't buy my own games!), and most games bore me after a few hours. It's rare that I actually "beat" a game, and it's also rare that something entertains me for more than 20-40 hours (and that is the good games ... something like Aliens: CW lasted about two hours, and that was a $60 game). I have 800+ games on my Steam account and I'd be surprised if I played even 10% of them for more than two hours.
    edited May 2013
    Dude, take a step back and look at your posts. You're just filled with vitriol and vinegar. You might have some good suggestions but any dev would be neck deep in your thorny personality trying to parse them out from all the garbage you bury them in. Your treatise on MMOs above (are you seriously telling us all about WoW?) is just par for the course. If the devs invited you over for BBQ and a fix-a-thon, they'd have to snore through your history of 1920s Europe or something before they could get anything useful out of you. And then they'd discover that you were really just a pinata filled with angry complaints about whatever the topic at hand was.

Here's a suggestion. Get a new personality and then we'll talk. :p

I would have to decline the BBQ invite, mainly because I have a feeling they might be as wrapped up in themselves as you are. :)
    And you are only seeing the side of my personality coming out that handles individuals such as yourself. Since you have such lovely little snide remarks. But as I can see... you can dish it but you can not take it. :D

The game will get better... give it 2 - 4 years. Refer to CO and STO as references for possible time tables.
    edited May 2013
    People like different things. I buy 3-5 full price games per month on average, and have done so for over two decades (not counting teenage and childhood years where I didn't buy my own games!), and most games bore me after a few hours. It's rare that I actually "beat" a game, and it's also rare that something entertains me for more than 20-40 hours (and that is the good games ... something like Aliens: CW lasted about two hours, and that was a $60 game). I have 800+ games on my Steam account and I'd be surprised if I played even 10% of them for more than two hours.

I used to buy games all the time. But I am a lot more careful now where I spend my money. We vote with our wallets whether something is acceptable. I started to research more than before. Play before you pay. I played the first EQ for about 5 years. Sadly it probably had the best release out of all of the MMOs that followed it. And it kept you busy long enough for an expansion to come out. I also enjoyed DDO at release there were some lag issues but overall it was a good experience eventually I ran out of content.
  • bori4bori4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    I decided to "build my own thank you thread with no derailing" by putting the few whiners I didnt already have on forum ignore, on forum ignore.

Oh, and thanks for trying to track down all the scumbags without punishing everyone else as well :D
    Bori - Renegade Drow - 40 Trickster Rogue - Mindflayer
    Elocin - Renegade Drow - 39 Devoted Cleric of Selune - Mindflayer

Looking for some Dust of Forum Troll Disappearance
    ? Sprinkle this on any troll to phase shift them out of your plane of existence. ;)

edited May 2013
    bori4 wrote: »
    I decided to "build my own thank you thread with no derailing" by putting the few whiners I didnt already have on forum ignore, on forum ignore.

Oh, and thanks for trying to track down all the scumbags without punishing everyone else as well :D
    Thanks for sharing.
  • cornellimcornellim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, it didn't take long for the restless whiners to jump on your thread.

I'm perfectly fine with what PWE is doing and I will CONTINUE to play their game and CONTINUE to support them, and more than likely down the road I will use MY MONEY on this game.

...Fight me.

This is my choice, not yours to influence.

I'll stand next to you, OP, in that, considering their options, they did the appropriate thing. May not of made the forum lurkers too happy, but I'm sure many appreciate it.

ahahhaha you are either a troll or a mentally handicapped person, i wont fight you either way
  • quadespressoquadespresso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would wager that everyone has things in their lives (personal and professional) that they wish they'd done differently, that they wish they'd spent more time polishing, that they wish had gotten one more review pass. Sadly(?) a vast majority of companies out there operate on deadlines and with limited funds, and have a monthly obligation to pay their employees.

No amount of screaming and yelling, threatening to quit, etc. can provide Cryptic with the ability to go back in time and do things they didn't or not do things they did. At any given moment, they can only do what they think is best then, and I believe in this situation that is exactly what they are doing. They are by no means taking the easy way out - any decision they made would be scrutinized, and though they may not make a decision that a particular customer agrees with, I think it is amply evident that they are trying to think things through and consider as many factors and impacts as possible.

I do hope that everyone remembers that this game is entertainment. It is not food, water, shelter, or anything else that is life or death. And the people who work at Cryptic can only do the best they can with their resources, including their time. Honestly, many Cryptic employees probably spend more time than they should trying to make this game as good as it can be and should probably spend a little more time with their families and recharging themselves.

As a community, the way we respond to their efforts can either encourage them to keep working hard, or it can detract from their engagement with their work. It's good for us to provide feedback, but the manner in which it's provided can either be constructive and provide incentive for them because they care about us, or it can erode their care for the community and encourage them to do the minimum required because f#%@ it.

I don't know about everyone else, but I prefer to have Cryptic employees care and not be another Initech (of 'Office Space'). Constant derision, abuse, and ultimatums just create psychological callouses that, like physical callouses, impede the ability to feel and respond. I think all of us except the most privileged and sheltered (and potentially the youngest) can probably look back at our own experiences and realize there is some truth to this.

So yeah, if you're not happy with decisions, do provide that feedback and do vote with your wallet, but please do so with the understanding that the people who are working on NW are actually trying to give us as a whole the best experience they can - they may make mistakes along the way; they may not be able to do as much as they'd like given their time and money constraints; they may make decisions or be bound by others' decisions that we philospohically do not agree with, but they are doing what they believe is in the best interest of the community and the game, and that's more than a lot of people are giving them credit for.

(As for PWE - ehhh.... I'm a bit more skeptical...)
  • genryu20genryu20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Ooooh the stupidity well never comes up empty around here huh? Haha. You know if all this was such a huge problem before then where has the threads been hiding at? Before yesterday I dont recall seeing any thread that had so much of a problem with this economy. No complaints, no threats to quit, no nothing. So if this problem just started blowing up yesterday then that roll back to undo yesterday was the best step in my opinion. PLus they are continuing to take further steps to stabilize the issue. But all these negative people are so dam impatient! They want everything now now now. gimmie gimmie gimmie. Do what I say or I quit. So many people need to grow up and take like 100 chill pills lol. Wipes aren't whats needed for this game. Patience is.