test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thank you, Cryptic. (The non-backhanded "Thank You" thread.)

Comments

• Options
    tjockustjockus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont think its handled in a fair manner... That would be a COMPLETE WIPE. Me as a new player will be screwed for ages because of all the corrupted AD floating among the exploiters... Controlling the markets and what not. In my opinion i would think that those not wanting a complete wipe have gained from the exploits in one way or the other. IF you like this game you wouldnt have to big issues starting all over to get a normal and decent economy that is FAIR to everyone. As it is now and with many others it feels rather pointless to continue to play with all this corruption. PW should be happier with the players that would stuck by after a wipe anyway. Mostly exploiters and whiners that would cry and leave anyway... I know they have said NO WIPE but i hope they change thier mind somewhere down the road...
  • Options
    cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is what happens when you have forum moderators removing all bug threads and topics about exploits for weeks. The general forum population never hears about them even though reports were coming in fairly steadily about gateway exploits with being able to buy crafting mats for 1 AD. They used the guise of "explaining exploits" to remove all traces of the problems from as long as 13 days ago so now when they say they found a bug "Sunday morning" certain people take them at their word.

Thank them all you want they pretty much will keep telling you what you want to hear I've already talked to people who've had their mains perm banned for it and have AD on alts.
  • Options
    revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cocksworth wrote: »
    This is what happens when you have forum moderators removing all bug threads and topics about exploits for weeks. The general forum population never hears about them even though reports were coming in fairly steadily about gateway exploits with being able to buy crafting mats for 1 AD. They used the guise of "explaining exploits" to remove all traces of the problems from as long as 13 days ago so now when they say they found a bug "Sunday morning" certain people take them at their word.

Thank them all you want they pretty much will keep telling you what you want to hear I've already talked to people who've had their mains perm banned for it and have AD on alts.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?164641-Major-Issue-in-Gateway-Site-and-Character-Names! <-- didn't remove my thread warning of exploits.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    pandobearpandobear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    7hour roll back on a glitch that has been going on since day 1 of beta?

Yeap.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Yes and that post is from April 30th... that's a few days before Sunday. Thank you(actually mean it) for providing further proof that the exploit has been around for almost a month.

The posts I was referring to were along the longs of *screenshot of bidding -1 million AD on a tier 4 gem* lol check out what I did with gateway, etc etc. Submitted to general and bug forums with various degrees of frequency.
  • Options
    genryu20genryu20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Yes and that post is from April 30th... that's a few days before Sunday. Thank you(actually mean it) for providing further proof that the exploit has been around for almost a month.

The posts I was referring to were along the longs of *screenshot of bidding -1 million AD on a tier 4 gem* lol check out what I did with gateway, etc etc. Submitted to general and bug forums with various degrees of frequency.

April 30th is a few days before may 19? o.O
  • Options
    bringthenoise001bringthenoise001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Did I care about the economy before the exploits... not really

Will I care after the fix... maybe but can't really see it

Will I still be playing this game after all this.... **** YES.

I love this bleeding game. I love the combat. I love the adventures. I love the fact I can adventure in a dungeon someone else has lovingly created. Admittedly I will love it even more if my Barbarian class ever comes around, but all in all I love it.

It sadens me when I see people who don't seem to love this game for the same reasons as I do and want to quit due to fake economics. Why else play the game but to have fun for the reason this is D&D.

Does this make me a fanboi.... don't know... I do know I like this game.

So on that basis thanks Cryptic for a game that I enjoy. I certainly will still keep enjoying after this little who ha.

P.S. how about a Barbarian class.
  • Options
    melanko0melanko0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Although I am for ones being loyal to a company. Blind loyalty is another thing entirely. Take for example Gear Box. I enjoy Borderlands. This weekend Borderlands 2 was on sale on Steam. But I remember they completely messed up Aliens: Colonial Marines. So I decided I wont buy Borderlands 2 because of this. It becomes a matter of principal. I am tired of companies spoon feeding us poo and we simply throw money at them asking for more.

Luckily Borderlands 2 is a great game and just got it on sale for 14 bucks *win*
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    genryu20 wrote: »
    April 30th is a few days before may 19? o.O

Yes I was using "few" in a facetious manner to highlight how much longer the issue has been around than that official PW twitter/forum account made it seem. Not sure what else to tell you if that's all you gleaned from my post than maybe you can only absorb as much information in one go as a human sea sponge.
  • Options
    hypnagogiahypnagogia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    A friendly reminder!:D

The Founder Program ends soon. Become a Founder now before it's too late: http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack/

Comply before it's too late or be doomed!
  • Options
    genryu20genryu20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Yes I was using "few" in a facetious manner to highlight how much longer the issue has been around than that official PW twitter/forum account made it seem. Not sure what else to tell you if that's all you gleaned from my post than maybe you can only absorb as much information in one go as a human sea sponge.

Tell me, are you only around this game for shopping? No? then kindly stfu and enjoy the rest of the game ^_^
  • Options
    lerakenglerakeng Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am satisfied by what Cryptic has done and I will continue to play this game.
    However, I will state that I have not yet spent any real money on this game nor will I until it goes to official live release. I do not spend money to be a tester since you never know what might occur (cause and point is the fiasco yesterday). Testing should be done to aid the devs and I fully support testing .... just not with real money. I have neither gained nor lost anything as result of a 7 hour rollback. And because this is still a beta test, I fully expect to encounter other bugs and report them as I have been doing since I started playing. I support Cryptic's actions thus far and I am looking forward to seeing what they will gift us all in this mysterious 'robust' thank-you package they are planning.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    genryu20 wrote: »
    Tell me, are you only around this game for shopping? No? then kindly stfu and enjoy the rest of the game ^_^

This topic is about Cryptic's response to the exploits and bugs more specifically their 7 hour wipe solution. Nothing I have quoted or posted has been about gameplay. I along with others want people to know that Cryptic knew that this exploit existed since the launch of open beta and pretty much lied about saying they discovered it Sunday morning.

Now I hope that resolves any lingering desires you have to post inane dribble about what people should do with their time in the game. Before you respond to this please have someone that hasn't had their reading comprehension reduced to the level of a led chip taste tester by furry inbreeding help you.
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I have been on these forums a lot over the past nine days. Until yesterday, I didn't see a single thread about this exploit.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    I have been on these forums a lot over the past nine days. Until yesterday, I didn't see a single thread about this exploit.

That's exactly my point they tag them and move them to admin only sections of the forums. This was very rampant when the GF exploit bug was starting to be leaked onto the forums as well. It happens very quickly and if you try to click back onto the topic it gives you a permissions error message instead of letting you view it.

Just to clarify I'm not talking about the threads we're having now talking about the exploit and stuff. I mean people would make threads showing the exploit in action in the bug forums and sometimes in general. Those would be removed. So there was only a general idea of an exploit but most people who didn't follow it up on google had no idea.

Give it a try next time there's an active exploit (for instance how to pull Spider Temple boss and get one shot loot) go start a new thread about it detailing how to do it. It will be moved within minutes of creation.
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That's exactly my point they tag them and move them to admin only sections of the forums. This was very rampant when the GF exploit bug was starting to be leaked onto the forums as well. It happens very quickly and if you try to click back onto the topic it gives you a permissions error message instead of letting you view it.

So they happened to remove every single one of these threads before I, who was constantly on the forums, saw them, even on the weekend?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This topic is about Cryptic's response to the exploits and bugs more specifically their 7 hour wipe solution. Nothing I have quoted or posted has been about gameplay. I along with others want people to know that Cryptic knew that this exploit existed since the launch of open beta and pretty much lied about saying they discovered it Sunday morning.

Now I hope that resolves any lingering desires you have to post inane dribble about what people should do with their time in the game. Before you respond to this please have someone that hasn't had their reading comprehension reduced to the level of a led chip taste tester by furry inbreeding help you.

Lol to quote one of my favorite lines. Might I have your first name, Mr. Head, and tell me it isn't D ick
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks so much for the feedback! We appreciate it very much! :)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So they happened to remove every single one of these threads before I, who was constantly on the forums, saw them, even on the weekend?

I guess so? I don't know what you want to hear. If you doubt it do what I told you start a new thread title it "Tier 2 Spider Temple End Boss Insta Kill".

Thread txt along the lines of "Jump into encounter room without using gate along the edges of the fence, aggro boss pull to edge of cliff, fall off with boss, spam F to collect loot after".

It'll be moved within a few mins.

Point is gateway exploit had been reported through tickets/forum posts since April and not "Sunday morning". Cryptic lied.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the feedback! We appreciate it very much! :)

Theres no need to waste pleasantries on the psychotic game trashers Somi lol. You people at crypric/PWI just keep doing what your doing. Any those of us with any sense will continue enjoying the wonderful game ^_^
  • Options
    c1arity83c1arity83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't yet commented on any of what's been going on but have followed it, obviously, as a player.

Of all the MMOs I've played over the last 15 years, I don't think Cryptic/Perfect World have handled it any worse than any other game developer or publisher especially in open beta. They were made aware of a major issue then addressed it.

I'm still amazed that people have spent real world money on a game in open beta. Do I want to support this game? Yes. Am I going to do it before it's officially released? No. Why, because there's a pretty good chance that something like this is going to happen. It's why it's open beta and isn't retail yet. As games start including such complex economies issues like this are inevitable.

I also have to thank the devs for their hard work.
  • Options
    breezybe7breezybe7 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    There will be no wipes during or after closed beta.

Also, read the OP. This is not the thread you're looking for.

it seems like you picked out 6 words of his whole reply and told him your on the wrong thread. He's simply reading everything else and replying. I've never read threads in any game and i actually found wastingsanity comment just fine. I actually agree with it. also, I thought this was sorta still beta, even tho that term is used losely so far.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bori4 wrote: »
    I decided to "build my own thank you thread with no derailing" by putting the few whiners I didnt already have on forum ignore, on forum ignore.

Oh, and thanks for trying to track down all the scumbags without punishing everyone else as well :D

That's actually a darn good use of this thread. The fact that a simple, genuine, well-meaning "Thank you" attracted so many vultures and green-skinned fellows just makes me want to hop into a time machine and go back to before these games were mainstream.

Developing games is hard. Until you've run a few hundred miles in those shoes, stop being arm-chair generals.

If anyone here thinks the past couple of days were super dramatic, then they have NO CLUE what would have erupted, if many thousands of characters and millions of belongings had been erased from existence. Many of those people, not being on the forums, would have had no warning; and it would have made the exploit and the rollback combined seem like a very tame disaster by comparison. Indeed, my personal theory is that there were many shills, green-skinned fellows, and all of their alts, who were attempting to set such a disaster in motion.

Again, hats off to PWE and Cryptic for avoiding such an event.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    thescrapkingthescrapking Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I fundamentally object to the notion of thanking a corporation.

If you are not a paying customer, I suppose it could be debated whether or not you even have a right to be upset in the first place. OK, your time is valuable, and playing the game adds to the value of it for paying customers, but thanking them? This amounts to, on a certain level, "thank you for doing what is in your own best interests to do, and not killing your game not even 30 days after launch."

If you are a paying customer, it is perhaps even more ridiculous. "Thank you for taking my money, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> something up, and bothering to try to make good on it, i.e. doing what you were paid to do in the first place."

I don't think its fair to call anyone a kissass or brown-noser for it, since obviously nobody is going to benefit from this behavior, but I find it socially and politically irresponsible. Specifically because it supports, however passively and tacitly, that "corporations are people".

On the other hand, calling for more radical measures is just silly. I wouldn't have cried if they did a full wipe, but clearly taking a measured, careful response is the better option, considering that a full wipe is still an option, whereas the reverse would not be true if a wipe were the first course of action. For the time being, I am satisfied with what they've done.

The other ridiculous notion flying around is that those who benefited from this are getting away with murder. So some people have some virtual goods they shouldn't have. Wake up! Worry more about the people in our real society who get away with ****ing us every which way. They have things which they only have because of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over everyone on a daily basis. Its kind of hard for me to care about social justice in a video game with far less at stake when we can't manage it in our lives. PW is more a part of THAT group than they are a part of yours.

So sure, "thank you PW, for righting wrongs, and fighting evil, and ... doing your ****ing jobs." If I think you did a good enough job, you'll have my thanks in the form of purchasing more zen, continuing to play 3 months from now, or both. Otherwise, I'll spare the formalities.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I guess so? I don't know what you want to hear. If you doubt it do what I told you start a new thread title it "Tier 2 Spider Temple End Boss Insta Kill".

Thread txt along the lines of "Jump into encounter room without using gate along the edges of the fence, aggro boss pull to edge of cliff, fall off with boss, spam F to collect loot after".

It'll be moved within a few mins.

Point is gateway exploit had been reported through tickets/forum posts since April and not "Sunday morning". Cryptic lied.

If you explain how to do the exploit, of course the thread will be deleted. I don't know of a single mmo that would allow something like that on their forums, and for good reason.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you explain how to do the exploit, of course the thread will be deleted. I don't know of a single mmo that would allow something like that on their forums, and for good reason.

I understand why they did it I'm just pointing out why so many people had never heard of the exploit. I don't care that they were removing the threads I just think it's very dishonest of them to say they "found a bug" on Sunday morning and that the 7 hour roll back fixed most of the issues. The bug has been there since launch and there's no evidence that it wasn't being used by exploiters all along so either the community managers are completely out of the loop or they were told to lie about it.

Honestly it doesn't matter anymore at least 3 people I've run groups with only got slapped with 72 hour bans for GF exploiting and are happily playing on alts until tomorrow. A former guild mate got perm banned for using the gateway exploit and still has 3 cats on a mule account. So what issues they've resolved exactly are beyond me.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't care that they were removing the threads I just think it's very dishonest of them to say they "found a bug" on Sunday morning and that the 7 hour roll back fixed most of the issues. The bug has been there since launch and there's no evidence that it wasn't being used by exploiters all along so either the community managers are completely out of the loop or they were told to lie about it.

You're parroting what a group of people want you to spread around, people with an agenda. Think for yourself.

This was actually covered in the FAQ and on Twitter. The 7-hour window covers an apparent explosion in use of the exploit, during which most of the damage occurred. Beforehand, the small handful of people using the exploit represented a tiny fraction of the damage incurred--damage which is repairable, contrary to the rabble-rousing.

I'm guessing those few initial crooks were probably trying to keep it on the down-low, because (duh), if it got too public, it would create more of a trail and lead the devs right to the problem. My theory is that a few real unsavory types were using it for their own purposes before a group like 4chan got hold of it and went nuts.

I also suspect the whole "hundreds of reports were filed on this during closed beta" thing is also a manufactured rumor, initially designed by people--not necessarily even players--with an agenda. I know a lot of people who play this game--none of them knew of the exploit.

It's an attractive rumor because it really stinks, and that's just the sort of thing that people love to help spread around, whether it's true or not; people love drama. I find it REALLY interesting that none of these people find it suspicious that there's no way to PROVE the rumor.

"OH, it's because Cryptic keeps sweeping it under the rug!"

Really? Really? Couldn't you say that about anyone or anything? I'm not sure how it works everywhere else, but where I'm from, you're innocent until proven guilty. And do ya REALLY find it that hard to believe that a bunch of freeloading punks might start a bunch of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for the "lulz" on an MMO's internet forum? Because if you find that hard to believe, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. Corporations and their customers are prime targets for these kinds of mind-games. Everyone loves to hate a corporation, with or without merit. This kind of situation is an all-you-can-eat buffet for vulture-like trolls.

Grats on falling for it.
    Honestly it doesn't matter anymore at least 3 people I've run groups with only got slapped with 72 hour bans for GF exploiting

Classy crowd you hang out with.
    _

"YES, PLEASE"
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Wow, it didn't take long for the restless whiners to jump on your thread.

I'm perfectly fine with what PWE is doing and I will CONTINUE to play their game and CONTINUE to support them, and more than likely down the road I will use MY MONEY on this game.

...Fight me.

This is my choice, not yours to influence.

I'll stand next to you, OP, in that, considering their options, they did the appropriate thing. May not of made the forum lurkers too happy, but I'm sure many appreciate it.

I agree with OP as well. this is the fairest method and they'll fix the issue.

An example of a kneejerk reaction is what Arenanet did in GW2, implement a game wide Diminishing Returns policy instead of actually learning from mmo development history, you know where that killed entire games immediately because no one could get any loot. That's kneejerk people.
  • Options
    skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    OP I am going to bite for you...because I have been trashed a little in other threads because I supported what they did.

1. b4 servers went down I have gotten my gwf to 44 from 42 (not much I know but I have a two old year) and for the first time in 5 dungeons saw a blue gwf piece drop that looked <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> I was excited.
    2. I started over thinking my build and bought a respec I had left over Zen I bought a companion pet that I then regretted a little but it was my fault so I was gonna live with it and keys to open the 21 lockboxes I had saved up.
    3. after everything went down I followed the main forum thread, twitter and facebook till 2am EST time but decided to call it a night at that point within the downtime I started looking over a skill SIM I use and tweaking my build once again (saddened since no decision had been made yet) that I would have to buy more Zen to respec again, then I started thinking about the different races and started thinking a race change might help me a little and I wouldn't have to buy Zen again
    4. I read what the decision was b4 logging on today and was statisfied but was nervous about how I was going to find my char. I found her in the same spot I logged in yesterday at since I logged in after the rollback time ok no big deal all 21 lockboxes accounted for and all 5300 Zen I bought and transferred into NW there. ok great I made the new GWF transferred my lockboxes bought keys and bank slots (didn't make the mistake with the companion again, didn't need respec since I decided on my own to restart)

I think what they did though was fair for the majority of the people and I am happy with outcome, I know this will die down and the economy with fix it self with time like every other MMO with economies that ppl claim to be messed up.

for me the biggest downfall to a full wipe would have been my foundry stuff but I also didn't want to be forced to relevel either I wanted that decision to my choice (and it was) I answered a ton of Zone chats today asking why this wasn't there or why they lost levels and explained things to them and I a lot were like man that sucks but glad a full wipe wasn't done.

PWE/CRYPTIC did good, yes there are still kinks but those will get ironed out just have a little faith and patience and play the game if you don't really enjoy it and only care about how long till you get that t2 epic piece or whatever I guarantee a wipe wouldn't have ultimately statisfied you either.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HARD WORK YESTERDAY & TRAILTURTLE U WERE GREAT ON TWITTER KEEPING YOU HEAD WHEN SOME WERE BEING DOWNRIGHT RUDE TO U
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thank you Skylia, and I fully agree that the worst of this will blow over and the remaining kinks will be ironed out. There are some real fatalists around here!

Also, that's a nice and helpful website you're making. Bookmarked!
    _

"YES, PLEASE"