test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

RELAX: Net effect of Exploit is small

hurk97hurk97 Member Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The end is nigh! Oh the Humanity! I too was up in arms earlier but after a little break I put it into perspective.

The exploiters who got millions or billions of AD could only move so much around and I imagine any account with over 20 million AD could be flagged and investigated with a simple database query which would result in the AD being removed from the economy. Sure, there was a large and illicit influx of AD into the economy even if said accounts were banned/AD removed, but say what the devs cannot get is an extra 10% AD added? Or say 20% ? As time goes by, that % decreases as more AD is added into the game via questing, praying, skirmishes, et al. That means prices on items you sell go up a little but the standard store bought items remain the same price such as ID scrolls, etc.

As far as the AD cats go, well the net effect is very little effect on the game with so many having the cat. Sure its nice to have the extra Crit, but within 3 weeks everyone who wanted one could afford one anyhow so the date just jumped forward. On top of it, players who got the cats will be happy having them and the feeling that their account and characters being special and worth more means they will be more likely to remain playing and dare I suggest, even spend more buying Zen. Lastly, since people are not saving up for the AD cat now, they will be more willing to spend them on AH items and buy your overpriced gear.

In the end, the net effect if the devs nab the exploiters will still remain but the devaluation effect decreases as time goes on. IF the devs nab the main culprits and remove their large stashes of Astral Diamonds from the game, we really will not see much of an effect aside from the Emo's going crazy on the forums.
Post edited by hurk97 on

Comments

• Options
    meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yep. I hope they don't do a wipe. Not sure I would keep playing... probably would... might not. Other games out there.
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • Options
    jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait...so you're saying this is a good thing because the people who benefitted from the exploit by getting a practically free cat are more likely to spend zen down the line?

Uhm so what about us legit players? We should just accept that crime does pay in NW?

Let me guess, you got lots of cheap stuff during this thing right?
  • Options
    jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sorry but this is simply not true.

You have to understand that A LOT of this duped AD is being pumped into the pockets of the average player. I for instance had 25 mil in auctions posted last night, all have sold as of this morning. Average players can post items for isnanely high prices and see their auctions bought in minutes.

To think that these exploiters are simply sitting on mountains of AD is wrong... Their AD has already spread throughout the game and normal players are raking it in large sums... You can't just ban people whos auctions were purchased from an exploiter, and to track down the transactions of all this AD is too complex.

Only a rollback can save this economy. Founders pack AD caused enough issues with this game, now those issues are multiplied...

For a new player joining the game tomorrow, purchasing virtually anything with AD will be impossible. How can a player making 24k AD per day from dailies compete with those of us who have made 10s if not 100s of millions from exploiters.

You're kidding yourself if you think cryptic banning people sitting on mountains of AD is fixing the problem, the problem has already spread to virtually anyone whos had auctions posted in the last day.
  • Options
    pimpinaintezpimpinaintez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    heres for leaning for a wipe and maybe an exp bonus for a week or something to help the legit players level
  • Options
    tormeantedtormeanted Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP and his friends are obviously either exploiters or gained from it.
    Ban them please!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jkaplan92 wrote: »
    Sorry but this is simply not true.

You have to understand that A LOT of this duped AD is being pumped into the pockets of the average player. I for instance had 25 mil in auctions posted last night, all have sold as of this morning. Average players can post items for isnanely high prices and see their auctions bought in minutes.

So they bought your auctions and you got a ton of AD... They duped billions, you cannot spread it out through accounts fast enough. 90% of it will get nabbed. Anyone who made 100's of millions from exploiters was in on it as well and should be banned. If they bought all those items, their mailboxes will be stacked full of equipment which can get erased or returned to AH and AD removed. So yes, you are wrong and what I said still stands as true.

And LOL purchasing anything with AD will be impossible... man, if you read the first line of my post I said do not get all emotional, but I guess these forums are filled with emotionally unstable people.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tormeanted wrote: »
    OP and his friends are obviously either exploiters or gained from it.
    Ban them please!

LOL nice one, I implore them to go through my account or anyone I have on my friends list. I do not cheat nor play with cheaters. I just do not sit in my room all day whining to devs and making mountains out of mole-hills.

Nice try ;)
  • Options
    evilgenius1979evilgenius1979 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To all the exploiters of this game and other games.

Just a short post. Quite irritated. You are a bunch of idiots, unworthy of human status, who spoil it for the rest of the player base who are just trying to play the game on a Sunday evening during some relax time. I hope karma comes back to bite you in the *** one day...

Thank you, over and out.
  • Options
    thetruejackass69thetruejackass69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    AD, Zen and item rollback. There.
  • Options
    maskofshivamaskofshiva Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the rest of the player base who are just trying to play the game on a Sunday evening during some relax time.

Exactly dude, who cares. its a game, it aint that serious.
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree with the OP. The reality is there is a finite amount of AD in the economy based on a few factors. There is a very good method of removing currency from the game (10% via AH). Most of the cry babies are F2P folks that will never get ahead of those that got headstarts or pay for the game.

Yes, Castle Neverwinter drops should be 5 mil each... and most folks shouldn't have access to them. I feel that the economy is fine the way it is... Yes a very small handful of people got ahead of the game. HOWEVER this buys them nothing... remember there is NO raiding in this game. There is only 5 man dungeons.. no world first races, no uber guilds, nothing... Anyone can easily get a group and do CN eventually. Well assuming you fit in the meta which is completely broken but that is PWE's fault.

The only exploiters that honestly have a negative effect on the game are the PvP afters... that ruin everyones matches. The rest of the folks... who really gives a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. (or should)
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    forum bugged double posted.
  • Options
    ro7shadowro7shadow Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Hurk97 you either troll or you doesn't understand economy.

What's done it's done, items were injected with unlimited AD you could buy zen, gold, best items, level up your characters, give stuff to friends or guilds for free put it on AH where legit players can buy it etc. etc. So please don't talk this jokes man because the prices of some items went 10-1000 times up just in few hours and it's done already the legit people sold some of their legit items for illegit AD or gold now go man try trace it all.If you don't realize this yet this exploit was working on for far more than just 1 day and this will simply ruin the game in short term not even speaking in long term where the game economy is such garbage in design that it is surpise that people still can enjoy the game. Probably the decent gameplay still keep people up in it, and when the mass quits will start it will be all over. I can't even imagine how they want to repair the economy without the full wipe or rollback .I lol'd they may ban half of the people and belive me there still will be billions of billions copied AD floating. I have seen this in many games, saying that they ban people for it is nice to make an PR punishment but it is really bad joke if some one says it will repair the economy.

At some points the economy was so fcked up that those who have used the ah could in hours make billions legitimately and those who were not online or had their items list on AH before the exploit simply gave away their stuff for free, you could say they were robbed by the system :)
  • Options
    technophebatechnopheba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I have to agree with the OP; although this is a major balls-up and some poor devs in Cryptic are looking at a severe slap on the wrist, the net effect a couple of weeks down the line is going to be pretty minimal. There's a pretty massive flush of AD atm which is going to push the exchange ratio up again, but it was only 2 weeks ago that the rate was at its cap of 500:1. Cryptic might have lost a bit of money on the people who were able to get cats and so won't buy Ioun stones, but then again I bet they raked it in with people buying Zen to sell because the exchange ratio leapt while all this was going on.

Confiscate the illegally obtained AD, temp/perma ban those exploiting depending on how severely they did it, return any items lost to exploiters on the AH to their owners and what you're left with is a glut of AD that's no bigger than the founders pack surge, and a few embarassing articles in the gaming press (oh and a load of whiny forum posts, so what's new?).
  • Options
    aelethkowwaelethkoww Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think those of you who are blowing this off really understand the gravity of the situation. If this had been stopped immediately, yeah, I'd agree. This went on for something like 12 hours overnight unabated. That's an entirely different ballgame. Hell, it's an entirely different universe.

Yes, the bug had been known for a long time... but overnight is when it went public and really got abused.
  • Options
    coggagecoggage Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    heres for leaning for a wipe and maybe an exp bonus for a week or something to help the legit players level
    I wouldn't be interested in some sort of Cryptic "Groundhog Day" where I'd have to re-level my characters. Those levels were honestly gained, and I just don't think the game content is interesting enough to drag all my characters through it yet again. Who's to say that yet another game-ruining exploit would be found, resulting in yet another wipe? Nah, I'd just take my Zen refund for the slots & mounts and move on.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ro7shadow wrote: »
    Hurk97 you either troll or you doesn't understand economy.

What's done it's done, items were injected with unlimited AD you could buy zen, gold, best items, level up your characters, give stuff to friends or guilds for free put it on AH were legit players can buy it etc. etc. So please don't talk this jokes man because the prices of some items went 10-1000 times up just in few hours and it's done already the legit people sold some of their legit items for illegit AD or gold now go man try trace it all.If you don't realize this yet this exploit was working on for far more than just 1 day and this will simply ruin the game in short term not even speaking in long term where the game economy is such garbage in design that it is surpise that people still can enjoy the game. Probably the decent gameplay still keep people up in it, and when the mass quits will start it will be all over.

At some points the economy was so fcked up that those who have used the ah could in hours make billions legitimately and those who were not online or had their items list on AH before the exploit simply gave away their stuff for free, you could say they were robbed by the system :)

I cannot understand half of what you are trying to express but I will tackle the half that I think I understand.

1. Remember when people were asking 'Hey, how are players auctioning off huge blocks of AD and Zen at a time?' when game came out of open beta? This AH exploit has been there and abused since day 1 but was not mass exploited until today.

2. Prices went up because mass people were exploiting this and trying to shift AD around accounts. Now that it has been fixed and devs are banning/removing AD from accounts things will get back to normal.

3. It is you who does not understand economics 101 here. The influx of illicit AD has the net effect of increasing inflation(you know what the Fed does for the US Treasury Department when it auctions off bonds via the Federal Open Market Comittee(FOMC) essentially deflating the US currency) which at first was outrageous before the spigot was shut off. But since the devs are tackling this and removing the large sums of AD/Zen that were grabbed from this exploit, the prices will return to reason after a short while.

4. I do not tr.oll and simply want people to calm down and take their unrealistic emotional responses out of the equation.
  • Options
    aelvez0120aelvez0120 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    Either a PWE employee or simply a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    marvelousjmarvelousj Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand why you people even care. Ya it would be nice if I had tons of AD or ZEN to buy whatever I want but I don't and it is not game breaking. The only real problem would be if it ends up affecting player to player interactions such as PvP. So people now have some stupid items from dungeons that are fairly easy to get in the first place and some dumb cats that are minor and I could care less about any ways. AS for PvP you dumb companions don't matter and gear may only slightly matter because people with all the best stuff are still a joke. I could go jump in 60 PvP right now and dominate everyone with all greens because they are just so terrible.

I suppose there is no reversing what happened and children do childish things and think it makes them cool. I will let you in on a secret. The real world doesn't care about your video game skills and all your awesome items. It means nothing so why hold it in such high regard. This game is so easy to get whatever you want any ways it doesn't even matter. Maybe go get a job and spend a measly $20 to buy the things you want or go ask mommy and daddy if they will buy you stuff if you clean your room or do the dishes.

It is jobless people or children who have no means to pay for something if they really want it and are upset because they want what another person has and feel slighted.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    aelvez0120 wrote: »

Have you even played this game? The former implies the latter.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    marvelousj wrote: »
    I don't understand why you people even care. Ya it would be nice if I had tons of AD or ZEN to buy whatever I want but I don't andit is not game breaking. The only real problem would be if it ends up affecting player to player interactions such as PvP. So people now have some stupid items from dungeons that are fairly easy to get in the first place and some dumb cats that are minor and I could care less about any ways. AS for PvP you dumb companions don't companions don't matter and gear may only slightly matter. I could go jump in 60 PvP right now and dominate everyone with all greens because they are just so terrible.

I suppose there is no reversing what happened and children do childish things and think it makes them cool. I will let you in on a secret. The real world doesn't care about your video game skills and all your awesome items. It means nothing so why hold it in such high regard. This game is so easy to get whatever you want any ways it doesn't even matter. Maybe go get a job and spend a measly $20 to buy the things you want or go ask mommy and daddy if they will buy you stuff if you clean your room or do the dishes.

It is jobless people or children who have no means to pay for something if they really want it and are upset because they want what another person has and feel slighted.

Yet another piece a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> exploiter trying to keep his ill-gotten ****. F OFF. Enjoy your ban.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    aelvez0120 wrote: »

There it is, emotionally unstable people flinging insults again... big surprise.
  • Options
    ambermajambermaj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The true net effect was that ADs were so devalued that folks were selling those cats and other AD purchasable items for gold. Think about that, the least valuable currency in the game was being used to buy some of the most valuable items in the game. The net effect of the exploit was not small. Inside of 24 hrs it had turned the economy upside down.
    Cuz you sebestimated me!
  • Options
    ambermajambermaj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Double post :(
    Cuz you sebestimated me!
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol, OP thinks people who get free stuff value free stuff. All they value is getting more free stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    revmalrevmal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The effects cascade, people bought stuff like cats dirt cheap, even knowing that they were benefiting from the exploit, and hoping that when all that extra AD was gone/taken, the stuff they picked up for a steal, i.e. cats, would soon be worth a fortune.
    Also many people got ad from legitimate sales to people who exploited and used the AD to buy gear, So a lot of excess AD would still exist even if you ban or roll back the exploiters. And many of them could have used dummy accounts to do the exploiting and then laundered it a few times to get it to their main, or spread it around among multiple accounts. Too much AD and ZEN is now floating in the economy to just be able to go on, a wipe is needed at this point. Maybe give us a few days of double or triple xp to let us level back up quicker as a benefit.
  • Options
    macinaossamacinaossa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    marvelousj wrote: »
    I don't understand why you people even care. Ya it would be nice if I had tons of AD or ZEN to buy whatever I want but I don't and it is not game breaking. The only real problem would be if it ends up affecting player to player interactions such as PvP. So people now have some stupid items from dungeons that are fairly easy to get in the first place and some dumb cats that are minor and I could care less about any ways. AS for PvP you dumb companions don't matter and gear may only slightly matter because people with all the best stuff are still a joke. I could go jump in 60 PvP right now and dominate everyone with all greens because they are just so terrible.

Sure in PVP Upgraded mount don't matter like uber super enchantment (ie Greater Vorpal) . Are u serious?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    revmal wrote: »
    The effects cascade, people bought stuff like cats dirt cheap, even knowing that they were benefiting from the exploit, and hoping that when all that extra AD was gone/taken, the stuff they picked up for a steal, i.e. cats, would soon be worth a fortune.
    Also many people got ad from legitimate sales to people who exploited and used the AD to buy gear, So a lot of excess AD would still exist even if you ban or roll back the exploiters. And many of them could have used dummy accounts to do the exploiting and then laundered it a few times to get it to their main, or spread it around among multiple accounts. Too much AD and ZEN is now floating in the economy to just be able to go on, a wipe is needed at this point. Maybe give us a few days of double or triple xp to let us level back up quicker as a benefit.

People did not read my post apparently just the title and first sentence.

You think the devs cannot track where the AD was funneled to? You think this exploit was not being used since closed beta and only made public 16 hours ago?

Net effect is people have cats and maybe 20% extra AD in the pool than there was a day ago if the devs get 80-90% of it which should be easy, cant hide 100m AD and 500k zen so easy no matter how many accounts you have. I just don't see where these assumptions of the worst case scenarios and stating them as fact helps get a real perspective on this?

I am not going to rage if there is a wipe but all this hysteria, drama and overstating things does not help anything aside from your cause of falsely provoking the masses into believing this problem is the end of the world to get your way.
  • Options
    pheelinpheelin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hurk97 wrote: »
    So they bought your auctions and you got a ton of AD... They duped billions, you cannot spread it out through accounts fast enough. 90% of it will get nabbed. Anyone who made 100's of millions from exploiters was in on it as well and should be banned. If they bought all those items, their mailboxes will be stacked full of equipment which can get erased or returned to AH and AD removed. So yes, you are wrong and what I said still stands as true.

And LOL purchasing anything with AD will be impossible... man, if you read the first line of my post I said do not get all emotional, but I guess these forums are filled with emotionally unstable people.

Not every person that got money or even a lot of money was in on it. EVERY SINGLE good item was purchased that was on the AH, All rank 6 or better enchants, all wards, all shard/enchants almost, every mount, every bag, every armor t1 or better was gone. Every legitimate person that was selling items received money, some people were legitimately trying to sell top end gear for many millions and people bought it because someone could dup 100mil in seconds.