test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Founders pack price in europe?

hosilockshosilocks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
Hi guys

I just went to buy the guardian founders pack and was disgusted to find that the price was so much higher here.

I'm from the UK we use pound sterling here, the guardian pack is 59.99 US dollars, which is about 38 pounds.

when i go to buy the pack it asks me my region for payment and i say UK, it then sends me to a european site and says the packs is 56 euros which is over 48 pounds (73 US dollars), it then sends me to a dutch paypal for payment where I cannot switch the language (I've no idea why it is dutch?)

I understand each area has different taxes etc but for buying a digital pack of digital goods I don't understand the price hike, There's a principal here that is being set that I'm not overly comfortable with.

If anyone would care to explain I would be grateful, thankyou
Post edited by hosilocks on

Comments

• Options
    ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Pay in dollars and it'll only be 60$ or 200$.

I don't see why people pay the UK / EU price when the option to buy with dollars is there. (Or should be)
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ashrox10 wrote: »
    Pay in dollars and it'll only be 60$ or 200$.

I don't see why people pay the UK / EU price when the option to buy with dollars is there. (Or should be)

Even if i put down United states as my region i get taken to the dutch paypal for 56 euros
  • Options
    stalkzukstalkzuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree with the OP, its almost like "Oh your from the UK? then we will charge you an extra 20% just for that" its ridiculous especially when all the goods are digital too, its unfair we are getting slapped with these kinds of stupid prices.

Like Ashrox10 says though, pickup the stuff from a US site instead and pay your banks conversion rate, it'll not be as bad a hike as going thru the official channels
  • Options
    ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hosilocks wrote: »
    Even if i put down United states as my region i get taken to the dutch paypal for 56 euros

Hm I'm unsure then. I've always used PayPal to purchase things in dollars and I'm from the UK? :(
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ashrox10 wrote: »
    Hm I'm unsure then. I've always used PayPal to purchase things in dollars and I'm from the UK? :(

I have too with no problems but it still sends me to the dutch paypal site, i would also worry that it would hinder my chances of playing on a european server come release(?)
  • Options
    hosierman1hosierman1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 72
    edited February 2013
    Just bought my guardian pack from uk and it cost me 50.35 pounds that is 76 dollars there or there abouts a 25% hike over what the americans paid :o
    Foundry quest NW-DKCR8S6GH
    Trouble at "The Rock" please play and review if you have the time, thanks
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I just tried it myself; wouldn't let me pay in dollars.

No chance I'm forking out that much. (Euros)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?60301-Europeans-pay-in
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    azorylazoryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    Isn't the tax rate in England more then in the US? Therefore they have to charge more.
  • Options
    kalvorakkalvorak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited February 2013
    Just ignore this post :(
  • Options
    aguemortaguemort Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been going back and forth with Customer Support about this very issue. I'm American in the military and stationed in Germany. But since I have a German IP address, I'm constantly redirected to pay the € price, which is actually about $60 more than the pack costs in $. Now I understand VAT and everything, but that amount is much more than VAT should be on that item. (Not to mention that being American military, I'm eligible for VAT relief).

I just hope that I can get the issue resolved before the next beta weekend, otherwise I will likely not buy the pack since I already have the PC Gamer key which get's me into the final beta weekend.
  • Options
    evilkat10evilkat10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'v had the same problem today. Wanted to buy the founders pack to 60 dollars but had to pay 56
  • Options
    realellandessrealellandess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited March 2013
    This is a joke.

$257 for something in the UK that costs $199 in the US.
    That's a 29% increase. We have 20% VAT not 29%.

Just an incredibly bad way to lose a whole geographical market.
    Computer: Black, pretty lights || Overclock: Photo of kids. || Memory: Not what it used to be. || Storage: Garage and shed. || Video: No, moved to DVD. || Windows: 100% glass.
    Never understood why people put specs in a signature...
  • Options
    asboeasboe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cant understand why there is no official response to this post ! WAKE UP your loosing the best part of a continent in founders pack,s
  • Options
    kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I got my card out ready to buy the $199 pack, and got redirected also to a dutch paypal site requesting 189.99EUR ?! ...

Its a surprise and all, of course I don't mind paying in GBP or EUR, but at least scale the cost to what it is!

from XE.com conversions

190.00 EUR = 162.35 GBP
    200.00 USD = 130.33 GBP

Why should i be gipped for a whole 32GBP! $50!! EXTRA

I want to buy this for 130, I feel robbed and now im double thinking the purchase. Its a digital product and this should not be so high.

Edit.. bought it, but i feel gipped... oh well :(
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    stupid forum and eating special characters
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    kaskian wrote: »
    Edit.. bought it, but i feel gipped... oh well :(

Call up your govrenment representitives :(
    The increased cost is due to the VAT. This counts as a "digital good" the same as paying for music and such.
    It is out of PWE's control. Here's one of the official responses about the issue.

And I have responded to hundreds of these threads. Literally hundreds.
    I simply missed this one. Things sometimes get lost in the shuffle.
  • Options
    raxadesraxades Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All those arguing its because of VAT the maths does not add up!!!! VAT in the UK is 20% and that has never stopped anyone from being able to buy in dollars for an equal amount online.

EDIT: Those quoting EU legislation as the cause. Go and read the legislation. Firstly, it does not apply to all countries and second not everyone is bound by it. The fact is that this is being used as an excuse to rip off EU customers. I for one wont be buying any packs now :( would have gone for the 200 dollar one previously since I wish to support the game.

EDIT2: Grammer
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same for every other online game, It is tax.....Heck at least we have the NHS eh?
  • Options
    doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The PayPal in Europe for Perfect World is in Dutch because their European office is based in Amsterdam.

Also remember that the price for Europe is higher due to VAT. Within the United States there is not VAT on online sales if I remember correctly.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • Options
    benjaminmsbenjaminms Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's still an 5% or more difference then VAT explains.
    nezerol_6601.jpg
  • Options
    snaeffellsjokullsnaeffellsjokull Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Against the rules? It's not like you gave them any consent to guess your geographical location based on your IP. They're essentially using your alleged country of residence to single you out. Because of a bunch of numbers, they would turn you into a second-class person. Apartheid much? :p

(Yes, I say "guess", because getting another country's IP is just a matter of money these days. It's a cyberspace equivalent of emigration, I suppose...)
  • Options
    cnwhitenightcnwhitenight Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hosilocks wrote: »
    Hi guys

I just went to buy the guardian founders pack and was disgusted to find that the price was so much higher here.

I'm from the UK we use pound sterling here, the guardian pack is 59.99 US dollars, which is about 38 pounds.

when i go to buy the pack it asks me my region for payment and i say UK, it then sends me to a european site and says the packs is 56 euros which is over 48 pounds (73 US dollars), it then sends me to a dutch paypal for payment where I cannot switch the language (I've no idea why it is dutch?)

I understand each area has different taxes etc but for buying a digital pack of digital goods I don't understand the price hike, There's a principal here that is being set that I'm not overly comfortable with.

If anyone would care to explain I would be grateful, thankyou

Hello I am from UK as wekk, I only have pound visa card, I dont have EURO visa card, can I pay by pounds directly? Do u mind to send me a link please?
  • Options
    solidxgoldsolidxgold Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually bought the founders pack ages ago when it first came out, I'm in the UK and had the same problems the op was having.

I asked support why it had cost me about 40GBP than it was if you converted USD to GBP and their excuse was it's VAT added on.

I have never EVER had that problem with any other game in the past, and have bought games online from the US/UK and europe, even Asian, and the price has always been the price stated on the website.

I was so angry I asked for and got a refund.

I would now actually buy the founders pack again, if it wasn't for the added cost, why do we (in the UK) need to go to a dutch (is it) website, where paypoo is in a foreign language to pay for a 200USD game, beats me..................

Just looked back at my support tickets and the founders pack, if converted back from Euro's to USD actually cost me 260.14USD

That's a whopping 30% more added on the top.
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    Could be it's a PayPal problem rather than a Perfect World issue per-se. I think PayPal just flat out didn't work for me, although I'm in Singapore and there's a Singapore PayPal site.

I ended up using the Skrill payment option, or whatever it's called, and punched in my credit card details. I feel relatively secure doing that since I have my credit card set up to require text-message verification on my mobile. Your milage may vary, of course.
  • Options
    blackoutptblackoutpt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here and I'm in Portugal. I've been buying stuff online for ages and never had this **** problem. I'll would really like to support this game (like the story and have been a fan of neverwinter since the first game) but unless you correct the price to its fair price I'm not going to buy any pack.
  • Options
    ravenpaganravenpagan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So this seems to be a problem that only affects PWI games...as well as their incredibly outrageous prices for anything ZEN related we get shafted in the UK so that they can get more money...again. I don't believe for one second this is about VAT because the maths doesn't add up at all and no matter where else we buy from we don't have to pay an increased charge at all. Seems to me that either PWI pissed off every government in the EU or they're just using this as an excuse to get more money out of us in Europe. Due to this I won't be buying a founder's pack myself and honestly may just not bother with the game any more at all.

In the past I've spent a lot of money on my games and never had a problem doing so simply because it was something I enjoyed, but being told I have to pay mroe for something that other people simply out of greed...well that really takes the cake for me!
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    acylion wrote: »
    Could be it's a PayPal problem rather than a Perfect World issue per-se. I think PayPal just flat out didn't work for me, although I'm in Singapore and there's a Singapore PayPal site.

No it is not Paypal's doing. The amount which Paypal records as having begin sent to them already includes the 30% surcharge. And I have not had this issue with other MMOs.
  • Options
    blovisblovis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well the $55.99 when converted to euro(+vat) is about right. But no matter how you spell it out us Europeans are paying 25% more for the same thing. Now if the choice is keep paying the taxes or move to the states....well think i will just stick to pay the taxes thanks :)
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    blovis wrote: »
    Well the $55.99 when converted to euro(+vat) is about right. But no matter how you spell it out us Europeans are paying 25% more for the same thing. Now if the choice is keep paying the taxes or move to the states....well think i will just stick to pay the taxes thanks :)

Dat Healthcare. :cool:

I just paid the €55.99 I'm okay with that, it's cheap compared to the markup on other things(Adobe, I'm looking at you.)
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    . . . . . Isn't the European VAT re-claimable just like the U.S. State and Federal Tax Refunds every year? I could have sworn it way, looks like it still is... Just make sure to claim it on your Refund. By the way, trying to circumvent a countries VAT Tax is highly illegal - please don't suggest for people to do this.