test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need Before Greed is a must in this game

muceasmuceas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Can we have "need before greed" implemented? Yes, WoW style! We like it or not WoW is still the golden model as far as MMORPGs are concerned.

IMHO "need before greed" should be the default looting rule.

There are tons of players with a poor command of the English language, very little understating of the game or the looting etiquette while others even though understand everything perfectly do roll "need" just to upset the rest of their party members.

If a drop is class specific and it is NOT my class I should NOT be allowed to roll "need" on it, the "need" option should be grayed out for me and for all the other party members that don't qualify class wise.

That will eliminate all the "ninja" activity and everyone will be happy.

What do you guys?

Please support the idea if you find it to be fair.
Post edited by muceas on

Comments

• Options
    narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dood I so miss DAOC stuff just going into your pack no rolls just randomly delivers it to someones pack in party. I hate picking up loot. Yes I am lazy. I wish games would implement that style and default the item going to only a person that can use it (and yes DAoC had a masterlooter option for spending DKP.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • Options
    pepto2pepto2 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty sure this suggestion has been made elsewhere, but yes. I'm tired of players NEEDing every single drop in the whole dungeon. The only way to get anything is to also roll NEED. Greediest system I've seen in a long time.
  • Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The system fails, I like the idea of no rolls because it's often hectic and I don't need to be worrying about need,greed etc. while getting ganked by groups of aggro enraged baddies.
  • Options
    muceasmuceas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »
    Dood I so miss DAOC stuff just going into your pack no rolls just randomly delivers it to someones pack in party. I hate picking up loot. Yes I am lazy. I wish games would implement that style and default the item going to only a person that can use it (and yes DAoC had a masterlooter option for spending DKP.

The DAOC's system seems even easier to use than WoW's, if I understand correctly there is no need for individual rolls. I would settle for some "work" to be done, I don't mind rolling for something I can use and I don't mind winning something that nobody wants.

When playing my cleric I am the only cleric in the party and people know they'll lose my services if they stiff me, but when I play my rogue and I see all the other classes rolling on daggers... that's when the whole gaming experience becomes very frustrating. I am in a 300+ players guild but sometimes I do join PUGs and that's when the whole mess starts.
  • Options
    aftorianaftorian Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I for one only press need for my class items, even if others press need all the time (yes I almost never get anything), but I think posting about it multiple times is just our way of showing how severe a problem is, and maybe it'll be moved higher up in cryptic priority fixes list.
    Right now I see only two things that are lacking in terms of dungeons and skirmishes. The already mentioned NEED/GREED problem, and the fact that after a certain level you loose the chance to do the dungeon.
    Haven't reached level 60 myself,but if it's not yet implemented I think it would be a good idea to make a level 60 version of each dungeon just to add variety to the end game. I do understand that the first dungeons are somewhat short, but the mid level ones could be challenging enough for level 60 player, if the monster level would be adjusted accordingly.

In short, I REALLY wanna fight the mad dragon again! Never did get a chance to beat him! ='(
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I usually pass on items I can't use, and roll greed on rest of them. I don't need an unidentified gear piece if I don't even know if it is woth identifying in the first place. It will just take up space in my bag pack, wich is already full with runes I'm colecting. What can I say - I like shiny things, mostly shiny runes, since I can fuse them into greater more shiny ones.
    Um.. what was I talking about? Ah yes, the need/greed thing? Well it always bafles me, how a GF needs a magic orb, or a TR needs a heavy plate. You honestly, don't expect us to believe you are going to wear it! The need option for unusable items should be disabled, because, you see, anyone who "needs" something he can't use, is a liar and has an empty backpack... Maybe he should start colecting runes?
    *gets distracted by something laying on a ground and picks it up* ooh, shiny!
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    zachredinzachredin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »

Someone did have to pick it up for it to be distributed but you could just bind that to keys like h and g like me and just spam that when something dies. :D
  • Options
    jaelithejaelithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    Silly to even need this discussion. So many MMOs don't allow you to "need" an item you can't even equip that no new MMO should work differently.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a psychological component to loot that generally makes people get a rush or joy out of seeing loot explosions. So although having loot automatically go to inventory is kind of appealing, it would take away that brief joy of seeing shiny stuff on the ground.

Instanced loot is what they need to make. They already have instanced loot for potions, scrolls, enhancements, chests, etc. They just need to change equipment to the same system.

By instanced loot (for those that might be confused) I mean that when an NPC dies loot is generated for each person, and each person sees only their loot on the ground. This does not mean that when a blue drops that everyone gets a blue. It means that everyone has a percentage chance to get the various tiers of loot for each drop.

With that system players can then decide if they want to trade away good loot they got, put it on the auction house, or keep it for an alt. That system then gets rid of loot ninjas and all that ugliness.

The need/greed system is an ancient artifact that most recent games have done away with. Considering part of the loot in Neverwinter already is instanced I have no idea why they then forced the need/greed system on us.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2013
    muceas wrote: »

If a drop is class specific and it is NOT my class I should NOT be allowed to roll "need" on it, the "need" option should be grayed out for me and for all the other party members that don't qualify class wise.

This should be a setting that the party leader can enable.

Party leader should be a party vote cast at the entry of every dungeon.

Leader should be able to initiate a vote for a vote kick, not kick anyone at whim.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I just cannot fathom why it hasn't been fixed. It has been reported since the CBWs and I'll be the Alphas probably suggested the same. You should not be ABLE to roll need for an item that isn't your class, period. How freakin' hard is it to code that?
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can we have "need before greed" implemented? Yes, WoW style! We like it or not WoW is still the golden model as far as MMORPGs are concerned.

IMHO "need before greed" should be the default looting rule.

There are tons of players with a poor command of the English language, very little understating of the game or the looting etiquette while others even though understand everything perfectly do roll "need" just to upset the rest of their party members.

That will eliminate all the "ninja" activity and everyone will be happy.

What do you guys?

Please support the idea if you find it to be fair.

This been ask many time and many thread. It is a NICE feature to have BUT

All epic are BoE so to a person, they will always need (or for their alt) I presume the dev thought the same way.

So why not just change it to
    - Random drop into someone's bag instead of need/greed method (round robin)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    judgemonroejudgemonroe Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too many threads about this topic. Don't we get it by now? Sheesh.

"You shouldn't be able to NEED on gear you can't use."

"Shut up, I went through that dungeon too -- it's as much mine as it is yours."

"Ninja looters!"

"There's nothing remotely ninja-like about hitting the '!' key."

"Just NEED everything and shut up. You win what you win."

"But it's my CLASS."

etc.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too many threads about this topic. Don't we get it by now? Sheesh.

"Shut up, I went through that dungeon too -- it's as much mine as it is yours."

"Ninja looters!"

"There's nothing remotely ninja-like about hitting the '!' key."

"But it's my CLASS."

etc.

Yea. I think the main problem is that epic loots are BoE. If it is BoP, I don't think we see as "much" issue. There will always be people needing it just cause, but it will be less.

Since it is BoE, people "need it" cause they need AD :(
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    grikgidgrikgid Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    The looting rules in this game are rubbish at the moment.
    If the devs are trying to create a greedy, grabbing and inconsiderate community, then this is working to plan.
    There are plenty of alternatives to this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor system, the DAoC method is new to me, but looks good. Not being able to roll need on loot you can't use is another that would be ok. I still like the DDO approach - everyone gets loot, no rolling unless you want to put it up for one yourself.
  • Options
    grokcgrokc Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    grikgid wrote: »
    The looting rules in this game are rubbish at the moment.
    If the devs are trying to create a greedy, grabbing and inconsiderate community, then this is working to plan.
    There are plenty of alternatives to this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor system, the DAoC method is new to me, but looks good. Not being able to roll need on loot you can't use is another that would be ok. I still like the DDO approach - everyone gets loot, no rolling unless you want to put it up for one yourself.

Truth, just look at the prices for some green and blue profession items on the AH
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it would be a good idea to make a level 60 version of each dungeon just to add variety to the end game.

There are epic versions of all dungeons at 60, just no skirmishes besides the one. :P
    I still like the DDO approach - everyone gets loot, no rolling unless you want to put it up for one yourself.

Still my favorite, besides the fact that some quests had almost no chests and others had tons, everyone got loot, no needing or greeding. The only time drama happened was when someone got mad you took all your loot out before they could see what you got. Best system ever. I really, really can't believe more games don't use a system where everyone gets something from runs. Tokens are good start, but most chests here even seem to be who ever gets there first. :P

Doesn't help that gold is only really useful for potions, but even that drops paltry amounts, that most of the time doesn't even cover any potions you might have used. If you got no loot because every one else "needed" items, you are boned.
    This should be a setting that the party leader can enable.

Dear god no! In groups formed by the queue, it should be the need before greed, unchangeable. Do whatever you want in premade groups, but in pugs, it should never be able to be changed. That would be open to abuse too easily.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I would not put it in so bellicose a manner but in short yes that’s exactly it. I know that we all are delivering wish lists for what we would like to see implemented. But I think it is important for us all to keep an eye on what we actually have to work with right now.

Given the tools currently at your disposal, the only fair thing to do is to need on all. That is the only way to guarantee everyone a fair chance. Anything else means someone will get short changed.

And the need imperative doesn’t preclude you from offering what you get in trade or just out of the goodness of your heart if you are of a mind to foster some positive image.

So wish for more, suggest the best, but use what you have and remind your party to do the same.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We like it or not WoW is still the golden model as far as MMORPGs are concerned.
    :p:p:p:p

I think if i take a rag and start wiping the gold color off, theres brown underneath.

Most games carve out their niche in the MMO market by doing things different than the game that attracts the LCD customer base of all customer bases.

I prefer everyone getting their own chest pull, and no one seeing anyone elses loot pull. This will stop all moaning over loot.
  • Options
    pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The system is not going to change. PWE wants players to be greedy and sell items on AH so they can take their cut.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pops000 wrote: »
    The system is not going to change. PWE wants players to be greedy and sell items on AH so they can take their cut.

Except that, if you look at the dev tracker, they said they are working on different methods of changing it. Also, PWE has no real effect, it's Cryptic who is the developer. PWE is just a publisher.
  • Options
    pepto2pepto2 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Random can be a *****. I don't believe that NEEDing everything is 'fair' because you will get the GWF that wins 90% of the drops, including the 3x hat, boots, and shield you really did need, and you maybe win, like, a necklace.

Round Robin isn't the answer either, because if you know your turn for loot comes after John04 then you stand by the cool drop and wait for John04 to get something and pick it up, it's yours. I've seen people do it in other games. I've done it myself after getting hosed too many times.

Not sure the answer. If you go with 'only classes that can use can roll NEED' then if only rogue gear drops that run, the only way anybody else gets anything is if the rogue is nice and rolls 'greed' a few times? I think chances of that happening are rather less than one person winning 90% of the rolls...
  • Options
    skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My personal opinion is make it so loot can be changed by leader for blues or better I hate rolling on green stuff and half the time even if it is for my class it is unidentified I roll greed because no guarantee it will be an upgrade.

Need rolls only on blue or better class specific is a must that shouldn't be allowed to be changed. I greed on most unidentified greens on all enchants to be fair rank 1,2, and 3 even drop like candy and I pass on anything that I can't use. wish some people would have same respect
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • Options
    slowshieldslowshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This issue has been brought up too many times and so far Cryptic/PW has not given us a response regarding this. This is really a serious issue causing much angst between players.. please fix it or make it NEED only for everyone if you don't care about the players. Thanks.
    <Archons> +8 GMT Oceanic Guild, 300 Member Strong @ Dragon Server!
    banner.png
    Silverblade (60 TR), Silver (60 DC), SilverShield (60 GF), SilverStorm (60 CW), Ultimate (60 GWF)
  • Options
    simyazzisimyazzi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They just need to change who can need on an item. If this item is not for your class you cant need on it. Simple fixed!
  • Options
    therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    simyazzi wrote: »
    They just need to change who can need on an item. If this item is not for your class you cant need on it. Simple fixed!
    If the distribution of loot drops doesn't match the frequency of character classes, we'd just be trading one problem for another.

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It is truly unfortunate that the state of MMOs has come to this, but I agree that the OP's request is necessary.

Back in "The Day", even in WoW it was possible to roll Need on anything and everything. The player community enforced their own rules, where you had to leave loot drops which you could not use for players who not only could use them, but who were also planning to use use them right away (in other words, if you weren't planning to equip it right then and there, you had to select Greed. That used to include situations where you were too low a level for the item, though generally players were allowed to roll Need on these items if they simply asked first.)

Sadly, the MMO communities of today are full of immature players who cannot be trusted with an unrestricted Need button.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    eothaleothal Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I come from a game where Need/Greed/Pass was there too. Where Need is something you can use, Greed if you want to sell the item and Pass if you don't want it at all.

So yesterday many unidentified items for my class dropped, and so i Need them. Then at 1 point people ask me why i keep needing them and said Need is only for identified blue items... I just did what they said for that instance, but yeah all people have different ideas on how to loot.
  • Options
    vulpanguevulpangue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The loot system could definitely use an overhaul. The options, however, definitely are a problem.

Round Robin? Prone to abuse, as stated above.
    Random loot? Would cause just as much crying over items as the current system, although, in theory, it would be fair. Random is random: Someone might get incredibly lucky, but there wouldn't be anyone to blame for that. In theory.

Need-before-Greed with Need being class-restricted does sound like a legitimate solution. However, every single piece of loot from a dungeon, no matter its uses, belongs to the whole party the moment it drops. Everyone worked equally hard for it and thus everyone has a right to it. If not for upgrading one's gear, then to cover potion expenses.

In the end, everyone wants different things and interprets the term "fair" in their own way. Looting rules should take that into consideration. To me, the most logical solution would be to choose the rules at the beginning of each run by VOTE. The party leader shouldn't have more say in the matter than the rest of the party, especially in PUGs. Make Need-before-Greed, Random, Roll-or-Pass and/or whatnot options the majority chooses. That way, each party could have its own looting dynamics.

If that's not possible, Need-before-Greed is a must, though.
  • Options
    squareysquarey Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've made so much zen at this point from 1/2 hit kill farming dungeons that I just pass on everything now.