test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I believe top tier gear should be BoP, any thoughts?

124»

Comments

• munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Top Tier gear should always be BoP. Its obvious when you group with someone in amazing gear that they have purchased all of it.

Alot would have the argument, whats the point then in doing dungeons, with a group that already has all the Top Tier gear?

It would be a cool idea to implement a "gear turn in" vendor. Other games have implemented things like this.

For example. You would need a certain piece of T2 gear, plus a piece of T3 gear, to turn in together, to aquire lets say a Tier 3.5 piece, of the same armor slot. Or, each turned in piece of gear to vendor, awards you 1 token for a differant quality piece, of higher value.

I would love to see something like this in game.
  • jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I agree. Top Tier gear should always be BoP. Its obvious when you group with someone in amazing gear that they have purchased all of it.

Alot would have the argument, whats the point then in doing dungeons, with a group that already has all the Top Tier gear?

It would be a cool idea to implement a "gear turn in" vendor. Other games have implemented things like this.

For example. You would need a certain piece of T2 gear, plus a piece of T3 gear, to turn in together, to aquire lets say a Tier 3.5 piece, of the same armor slot. Or, each turned in piece of gear to vendor, awards you 1 token for a differant quality piece, of higher value.

I would love to see something like this in game.
    That could be really awesome. There's a lot of solutions they could implement. It'd just be nice to hear something from the devs along the line of, "Yes, it's something we're not happy with and our trying to decide what solution fits the game best", or "Thank you for your opinion but we're happy with the current model"

Sadly though, pretty much any dev posts over the past couple of days have been on fun topics, and not things players are looking for answers on
  • lhyeuzelhyeuze Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    That could be really awesome. There's a lot of solutions they could implement. It'd just be nice to hear something from the devs along the line of, "Yes, it's something we're not happy with and our trying to decide what solution fits the game best", or "Thank you for your opinion but we're happy with the current model"

Sadly though, pretty much any dev posts over the past couple of days have been on fun topics, and not things players are looking for answers on

Maybe because they do not have a proper answer? PWE has them and they want players to buy zen, transmute it in zen and buy gears, simple.
    edited May 2013
    lhyeuze wrote: »
    Maybe because they do not have a proper answer? PWE has them and they want players to buy zen, transmute it in zen and buy gears, simple.

You may be right /shrug. Its still a brand new game, and I am sure they will get to everything eventually, may not be to everyones liking, but things will change. Atm I'm still having a blast playing, whether or not people can pay real $$ for all there gear.

When its no longer fun for me I'll move on, until then see you in game!
    edited May 2013
    I understand that, but if people don't have a reason to play, people are going to leave in droves. It's better to give players the option to buy themselves to a certain level of power, then actually play to get to the top, then being able to be at the same level as the guy that's spent 100s of hours progressing his character just by spending most of his paycheck.

I completely understand the need for the game to be profitable, but with the current state of things they'll make a fair amount of money now, and then it will drop off substantially as time goes on. This may be what they want, know on knows but Cryptic/PWE, mostly on the PWE side I'd assume, but as a player, I would assume you'd want this to be a game with staying power. In order for that to happen it needs to keep a good amount of people that will keep playing, not a huge burst then a dropoff
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    So you're saying everyone should need on everything, and if they win gear their character doesn't need, sell it to buy their armor? I don't think any company would intentionally design for their game to end up like that, if they did, why would they have the option for greed? The game could essentially just give loot out to random players after you kill a boss, with no need for rolling at all

That's how Cryptic's game's are designed. The same thing happens in both CO and STO and it's been like that for years. Pretty much everyone Needs on everything and then you sell stuff on the AH and buy whatever you want w/ the money. They certainly understood that when designing this system.

As for the greed/need thing? I dunno why they leave it in, a lot of us in STO have just been asking to have it removed for years so we can stop having the same arguments over "conventional" mmo idealogy about need/greed. I know my Fleet in STO uses greed in "guild runs", mostly so nobody gets pissy about stuff; but in PUGs it's pretty much a useless system that only creates confusion.

Ultimately what some of us recommended was just a need/pass system. That way you could pass on items if you wanted to, but otherwise it was a need roll all the time.

The nice thing about a pure need/pass system is that players who have very little to gain from running an encounter otherwise (because they only need 1 piece of gear, or maybe they're just helping a friend out) actually have a fair shot at earning something for the time they put in... instead of ultimately just carrying other players. It helps keep out geared content from being completely invalidated.
  • okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Presence of the need/greed/pass system is obvious. You 'need' something when you can wear it, especially when it is an upgrade for you. Greed when intend to sell the item. Pass on what you doesn't care about.

If there is any problem with this system it is when people 'ninja' others, needing on stuff they can't or won't wear. To reduce this they should introduce mechanics when a player can't 'need' other classes' items. Fair and simple. Don't know why this still isn't there.
    edited May 2013
    I tend to be losing alot of gear I could have used for my actual character, to people "needing" items for there companion. Definately dont agree on this but whatev /shrug I'l still only need on something I want to put on my character, and greed for everything else. Wish other people had the same values
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Top end gear should be BoP until new content releases and then it can become BoE.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
    edited May 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    Top end gear should be BoP until new content releases and then it can become BoE.
    Agreed, I think that would be the best solution for a game like this
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No.

Wait until you run a dungeon 20+ times for the last item of a set. RNG can be a *****.

BoP items should be from huge sweeping arc storylines that takes days or weeks to accomplish. The item itself should be a testament of you completing a monumental feat.
  • grokit4chgrokit4ch Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I disagree, I'm for a full open game where items can still be sold whenever you wore them. Like that you can help your clan mates or your friends with your old gear.
  • lhyeuzelhyeuze Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    grokit4ch wrote: »
    I disagree, I'm for a full open game where items can still be sold whenever you wore them. Like that you can help your clan mates or your friends with your old gear.

Then I'll play with you and need all the items for your class, then sold them to you for a huge ad cost
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Then you are a **** and you have to merit in getting that gear, you are no right to wear it.

The best gear should not be a status symbol, it should be a crutch for terrible players. Good players don't need the best gear. Wearing the best gear is the equivalent of playing the game on the easiest setting. Talented players don't go around bragging about how they beat a game with the difficulty bar set all the way to the easy setting.
  • gohlargohlar Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    The best gear should not be a status symbol, it should be a crutch for terrible players. Good players don't need the best gear. Wearing the best gear is the equivalent of playing the game on the easiest setting. Talented players don't go around bragging about how they beat a game with the difficulty bar set all the way to the easy setting.

In mmos, they kinda do.

And let's be real, most modern mmos, this one included, were made so even terrible players can enjoy them.
  • solacefflsolaceffl Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    No.

Wait until you run a dungeon 20+ times for the last item of a set. RNG can be a *****.

BoP items should be from huge sweeping arc storylines that takes days or weeks to accomplish. The item itself should be a testament of you completing a monumental feat.

If you honestly believe this then you shouldn't be playing an mmo.
    edited May 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    No.

Maybe the 90 minute label is misleading, but Castle Never is a pretty big deal story wise. It is a monumental feat.

Buying that gear on the AH is hilarious.
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the OP, & can't believe PW didn't see that coming before they rolled out.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • llllllllll42llllllllll42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too late.

If you make items BoP now you'll have two hugely divided player bases.

One with hundred million+ AD.

One with 100k+ AD.
    edited May 2013
    Too late.

One with 100k+ AD.
    Not if people can actually get through to PW to do a rollback. The game's economy is pretty much beyond repair, and there wouldn't be a much better time to make the top end gear BoP.
  • merlinreynmerlinreyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No it's perfectly fine the way it is. I really don't want NW to make their game like many others. I like this game because of the way it is now.
    edited May 2013
    merlinreyn wrote: »
    No it's perfectly fine the way it is. I really don't want NW to make their game like many others. I like this game because of the way it is now.
    An exploitable broken mess of wasted potential? :-\
    edited May 2013
    Too late.

One with 100k+ AD.

It doesn't have to change the dungeons in game right now except maybe Castle Never. Then whenever they add a new tier, the old ones can go BoE.
  • koraneskoranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    easy fix Cap AD and dpn't let anyone that is st or over the cap earn AD. so if they sold an item on the AH and were at or over the AD cap they would lose that AD. it would not be sent to there mail as they are caped it would just get deleted.
  • rohk007rohk007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think gear that is won with a need roll should be BOP. Gear won by greed should be able to be AH. They wont make all boss loot BOP since that would affect Zen/AD sales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]