test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I believe top tier gear should be BoP, any thoughts?

Comments

• paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It is until you buy every slot and have nothing more to do. Believe me, this will happen way sooner than you think. BoP is the only solution to prevent massive loss of players. And when the game becomes a ghost town you won't buy anything either.

exactly...
    This is the 1 and only worry anyone and everyone should have...
    Your either ignorant to the fact, dense, or whatever if you don't see the trouble were in right now :/
    At this point the game might as well be being run by kittens sitting on a keyboard.
    Those PWE naysayers warning everyone are starting to get to me... they were right.
    Teams not doing very much to prove otherwise...
    They own them so not like there is anything that can be done :/
    Devs probably did warn them...Games being exploited we need to shut the servers down... But then some Exec saying no because the Zen is pouring in :/
  • paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Its not that big a deal, its more unfair to all the fair players..you got families, people with lives playing not just kids who all put time into the game; its very unfair. But the only solution. The Zen can be refunded; hell they could even give free Zen (which they should have done; rather then AD) as a sorry. I mean have you guys even seen the pics?
    You got dudes with (fully expanded) bags and banks full of t1-t2 gear being sold... And Pvp/T1 is going for chump change. Its a market; and this is about to crash; the game with it.
  • spikespirespikespire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    BoP ehh? Just be crazy enough to work!
    NWsig_zps2f8df234.png
    ZRcH2.gif .gif .gif
    "You know you wanna fondle my dragons."
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    I've tried having this discussion in pre-existing threads, but they usually go off into the no-no topic that gets threads closed. Today I hit lvl 10, and was learning alot of things about the game that I wasn't aware of. The vast majority of the these were very positive, doing my first Foundry quest, doing my first bit of crafting, you get the idea.

This is also the same time that I've found out all gear, including the highest tier of PvE and highest tier of PvP gear is BoE(Bind on Equip, meaning you can sell it). This is a very big turnoff for me. I've played mmos for close to a decade now, and I've come to the realization that the most gratification you can get is getting those couple extra stat points to make your guy that much stronger. It's not killing bosses, because after the first time you'll probably be downing them quite a few more. I think the overall reception of Guild Wars 2 enforces this, when people ran out of stat upgrades to earn, the dungeon running for looks couldn't really keep them around.

My point is that top tier gear should not be purchasable, and no this isn't a "This game is Pay to Win" argument, at least not in the traditional sense, I don't think you should be able to pay for BiS (Best in Slot, best possible gear you can earn) with ANY currency, whether it be purchasable or earn able through the AH. You should have to earn the best gear for what you like to do, by being good at what you do, whether it be PvE or PvP.

The simplest solution I see is making it so the higher tiers of gear bind on pickup. Overall the Zen to AD conversion and vice-versa is not a bad thing. Being able to expedite the pre dungeon gearing process is a nice option, or making it so you won't get totally hosed in PvP while you're trying to earn better pieces.

Sadly, with the way things are now I find it harder and harder to log in, which is a real shame. This game came out of nowhere and really surprised me with how fun it is. I understand it needs to be profitable in some way, and well I think some of the prices in the cash shop are a little higher than necessary, that's an aspect of the game I can live with. But buying BiS with AD, earned through the ah or purchased, is not.

I'd like other people's thoughts on this, and please please please don't let this thread degenerate into mindless name calling. I think this could be very constructive if people stay civil.

Here is the thing. Getting the top tier gear is 99.9% about being a decent player and playing with other good players. The game isn't balanced on a razors edge in the way that players need the best gear to beat content. A team full of good players at the minimum gear score will do just fine. On top of that, the GS requirements for content are very easy to hit... It's not like your having to scrap for the very best gear and enchantments to meet the next tier... Even a f2p player can easily meet T2 requirements in a single day at 60.

So, what's the point of me bringing this up? If your a good player, you can not pay a single solitary penny, and you can still be ridiculously wealthy in this game just by selling those BoEs to players who are willing to pay real money for ADs.

If you make Endgame gear BoP, be prepared to no longer be able to profit big off of being a good player and putting in time. Instead, you'll be grinding out lame dailies for 3-4k a pop at 24k a day. Be careful what you wish for.

The setup they're using right now is extremely friendly to both paying players and good f2p players. The real question is can you get over your epeen of someone using the same gear as you without completing the same content just because they spent absurd amounts of money? Personally, I don't care... They're the ones paying for the servers and the updates while fattening my AD wallet, and chances are they still can't beat the same content I'm beating, because gear is only a small part of actually beating PvE scenarios.
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah i know one guy who has like . he claims, a million bank slots and full sets of bags all with raid gear waiting to be sold. He says he and his friends have already earned the equivalanet of 1000 upon 1000's of dollars of zen in gear and this is what they have in stock...he has so much AD, he claims, it is not funny.

This will surely tank the game economy because I know his whole guild does it.........

Really sad thing is that they are all free to play never paid a dime in the game for anything yet they reap the rewards... Do not get me wrong kudos for them but this short sided mentality ,by the devs and their ilk ,is gonna ruin the game.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • lhyeuzelhyeuze Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    Here is the thing. Getting the top tier gear is 99.9% about being a decent player and playing with other good players. The game isn't balanced on a razors edge in the way that players need the best gear to beat content. A team full of good players at the minimum gear score will do just fine. On top of that, the GS requirements for content are very easy to hit... It's not like your having to scrap for the very best gear and enchantments to meet the next tier... Even a f2p player can easily meet T2 requirements in a single day at 60.

So, what's the point of me bringing this up? If your a good player, you can not pay a single solitary penny, and you can still be ridiculously wealthy in this game just by selling those BoEs to players who are willing to pay real money for ADs.

If you make Endgame gear BoP, be prepared to no longer be able to profit big off of being a good player and putting in time. Instead, you'll be grinding out lame dailies for 3-4k a pop at 24k a day. Be careful what you wish for.

The setup they're using right now is extremely friendly to both paying players and good f2p players. The real question is can you get over your epeen of someone using the same gear as you without completing the same content just because they spent absurd amounts of money? Personally, I don't care... They're the ones paying for the servers and the updates while fattening my AD wallet, and chances are they still can't beat the same content I'm beating, because gear is only a small part of actually beating PvE scenarios.

You did not understand about what ppl are complaining, right? People just don't want to have everyone rolling need on an item for their class.
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    adabisi wrote: »
    Yeah i know one guy who has like . he claims, a million bank slots and full sets of bags all with raid gear waiting to be sold. He says he and his friends have already earned the equivalanet of 1000 upon 1000's of dollars of zen in gear and this is what they have in stock...he has so much AD, he claims, it is not funny.

This will surely tank the game economy because I know his whole guild does it.........

Really sad thing is that they are all free to play never paid a dime in the game for anything yet they reap the rewards... Do not get me wrong kudos for them but this short sided mentality ,by the devs and their ilk ,is gonna ruin the game.

He's probably exploiting a particular boss and I imagine he'll either get his account banned or have all his AD and purchases confiscated.

Financially it doesn't make sense for Cryptic to not come down hard on the players doing this. Just be ready for the wave of QQ when I happens and people get pissy about getting punished for utilizing obvious exploits,
    edited May 2013
    lhyeuze wrote: »
    You did not understand about what ppl are complaining, right? People just don't want to have everyone rolling need on an item for their class.

I think people are too wrapped up in the mindset that drops are the only way of getting items. Roll need on stuff, sell it, buy what you really need off the AH. This is how STO has functioned for years and the system is fine... Outside of people that just rail against utilizing the need/greed system in any other way than that of a traditional MMO
    edited May 2013
    I think people are too wrapped up in the mindset that drops are the only way of getting items. Roll need on stuff, sell it, buy what you really need off the AH.

That is the dumbest way of playing mmos. It is not a AH Tycoon game you know
  • koraneskoranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    adabisi wrote: »

your exaggerations aside there is no raid gear in the game yet only 5man level gear and if he gets his rocks off attempting to crash the economy so be it all he will do is turn the market from a sellers to a buyers. when supply exceeds demand you get a buyers market when this happens econ jackers start buying everything out and re-listing it at the higher price naturally others undercut them so they buy it out and relist even if they don't make money on the item just to keep the market where they want it. what this leads to is that they buy out and re-list more then they sell and the market drops back to a buyers market. its all cycles that ebb and flow.
    edited May 2013
    agreed...people like the forementioned person are one of the problems this game has..they have no remorse stealing from others...
    edited May 2013
    nope.. i know the guy in real life.......he is in a guild and all they do is farm gear..no exploits...they have some modicum of sensibilties and do not cheat....but they are **** good at what they do.
    edited May 2013
    no exaggerations....you might want to read what i typed...but then again you have it in your mind that i am wrong and you are right..so be it.
    edited May 2013
    lhyeuze wrote: »
    That is the dumbest way of playing mmos. It is not a AH Tycoon game you know

Why? What's the difference? Your just transferring luck from one thing (boss drops) to another (rolls). The difference is that it's a fair system that rewards everyone equally, and not just the people that need gear.
  • koraneskoranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why? What's the difference? Your just transferring luck from one thing (boss drops) to another (rolls). The difference is that it's a fair system that rewards everyone equally, and not just the people that need gear.

Needing to sell an item is wrong. its the act of a shameless coward who is pathetic in real life so he takes it out on other from behind a computer by stealing an Item they needed as an upgrade to what they were currently using.
  • capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    I dont know what BoP or BiS mean... and i cannot take it of context :S

Lrn to google :)
    edited May 2013
    koranes wrote: »
    Needing to sell an item is wrong. its the act of a shameless coward who is pathetic in real life so he takes it out on other from behind a computer by stealing an Item they needed as an upgrade to what they were currently using.

Why? Because that's what wow taught you? This is a different game, everything is BoE and can be traded for astral diamonds. If you need on my rogue gear, and I need in your Wizard gear... And then we essentially trade that gear by monetizing it on the AH and buying each others drops... I don't see the issue. Everyone wins.

Or hell, maybe we just straight up trade items. I don't see the need for an arbitrary in-game need-greed BoP system. It's archaic and assumes players are incapable of handling basic capitalism.

If anything, they should just completely remove greed as an option to alleviate confusion.
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    I've tried having this discussion in pre-existing threads, but they usually go off into the no-no topic that gets threads closed. Today I hit lvl 10, and was learning alot of things about the game that I wasn't aware of. The vast majority of the these were very positive, doing my first Foundry quest, doing my first bit of crafting, you get the idea.

This is also the same time that I've found out all gear, including the highest tier of PvE and highest tier of PvP gear is BoE(Bind on Equip, meaning you can sell it). This is a very big turnoff for me. I've played mmos for close to a decade now, and I've come to the realization that the most gratification you can get is getting those couple extra stat points to make your guy that much stronger. It's not killing bosses, because after the first time you'll probably be downing them quite a few more. I think the overall reception of Guild Wars 2 enforces this, when people ran out of stat upgrades to earn, the dungeon running for looks couldn't really keep them around.

My point is that top tier gear should not be purchasable, and no this isn't a "This game is Pay to Win" argument, at least not in the traditional sense, I don't think you should be able to pay for BiS (Best in Slot, best possible gear you can earn) with ANY currency, whether it be purchasable or earn able through the AH. You should have to earn the best gear for what you like to do, by being good at what you do, whether it be PvE or PvP.

The simplest solution I see is making it so the higher tiers of gear bind on pickup. Overall the Zen to AD conversion and vice-versa is not a bad thing. Being able to expedite the pre dungeon gearing process is a nice option, or making it so you won't get totally hosed in PvP while you're trying to earn better pieces.

Sadly, with the way things are now I find it harder and harder to log in, which is a real shame. This game came out of nowhere and really surprised me with how fun it is. I understand it needs to be profitable in some way, and well I think some of the prices in the cash shop are a little higher than necessary, that's an aspect of the game I can live with. But buying BiS with AD, earned through the ah or purchased, is not.

I'd like other people's thoughts on this, and please please please don't let this thread degenerate into mindless name calling. I think this could be very constructive if people stay civil.

Only if everything dropped so far becomes BOP, meaning if its in someones possession, its returned from the auctions and BOUND to the character. Id go for a wipe, but that wont happen either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Diablo 3 was killed by its AH system where the most optimal way of getting gear is not through playing but buying it. Even the former lead director admitted that. In this model gear is no longer attached to player's experience, sense of achievement - ripping the game of its core, essence which is - you may like it or not - a grind/adventure/challenge (depends of one's mindset).

It is essentially bad for a gamer's experience and the game itself.

I think they should leave some gear BoE but introduce more powerful stuff that we can get only by playing the game (BoP), not sniping auctions.
  • toolkit68toolkit68 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In general i would put my own thumbs up for the OP's idea. Here are a few arguments why:

1. I am an old-fashioned role player. Meaning i dont agree to the pace in modern games and believe that one of the reasons is actually what the OP is stating with Bind on Pickup - people will be a lot more patient regarding progression when gear would not be buyable or sellable as it is now.
    2. It would eliminate not just one problem but actually quite a few at the same time:
    - people hitting need on everything in random groups would be eliminated this way
    - farming for pure profit wouldnt make any sense anymore - this would actually be good for both the players and the company because gear would be really special and encourage more to actually buy Zen
    - player crafted gear etc would actually get an upgrade and make it really special as it would become the thing that really trades in the auction house
    - prices in the Zen shop reflect todays possibilty to farm for AD and then get it exchanged - by having more stuff BoP these prices would surely adjust
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Diablo 3 was killed by its AH system where the most optimal way of getting gear is not through playing but buying it. Even the former lead director admitted that. In this model gear is no longer attached to player's experience, sense of achievement - ripping the game of its core, essence which is - you may like it or not - a grind/adventure/challenge (depends of one's mindset).

I think they should leave some gear BoE but introduce more powerful stuff that we can get only by playing the game (BoP), not sniping auctions.

Of course it's going to be optimal, but not everyone has billions of gold either. The problem isn't the ah. It's the drop rate. Otherwise you people have to realize that people still trade even without the ah and it is the same exact thing.

Some people still enjoy d3 and just keep farming so it doesn't bother them they don't feel attached to it or whatever. Still as long as you don't buy it then you can still feel proud of it. It's subjective.

To take WoW for instance since achievements were added, the fact that you downed a boss is what people look at. The achievement alone is enough of a marker although the gear helps too. But consider some people could be farming for months and may never get the drop.

So I don't think gear is the end all. I play for the fun of it personally.
    edited May 2013

Diablo 2 had the same system, yor just did it through a trading channel instead of an AH. Nobody cared.

Diablo 3s problem was an uninspired and boring loot(stats) system, a terrible launch, and legendaries that where <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at launch. At least that's why I quit playing.
  • jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Only if everything dropped so far becomes BOP, meaning if its in someones possession, its returned from the auctions and BOUND to the character. Id go for a wipe, but that wont happen either.
    Yeah, a wipe doesn't really seem likely. I think the only solution, like a few others have said, is to release a new tier of dungeons with BoP gear and go from there. It wouldn't stabilize the economy, but it might at least prevent it from getting too much worse. If Cryptic acknowledged that it's something they're considering I'd find it so much easier to stick with the game. I absolutely love the core gameplay, and can look past the balance issues while they sort them out, it's just a shame something like this is taking away my drive to play. From a lot of these responses, I don't seem to be alone on this.
    edited May 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I'm a really bad player, and if I couldn't buy my gear from better players, I'd never have a chance of getting it. This system is very friendly for hopeless players like me!
    I'm really sorry you feel this way. However, think about it this way. Everyone's new at a game sometime right? Especially in this situation where for some people it's their first mmo with a more active combat system. Will buying your way to the top make you a better player? No, and that should be something to focus on. From what I've seen this game has a pretty solid community (Yes, there's ninja's and loads of people being negative in other ways, but having a perfect community is an impossibility, made even more unlikely with a F2P game), where if you ask for help in learning your class, or tips on how to get through fights, you won't have to buy the best gear. You can go in and feel like a helpful member of your group and not a self-proclaimed bad player, and earn that gear.
  • okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    How old this game is? There haven't passed 2 weeks since open beta launched and majority of lvl 60 players are already half to full epic. This is what BoE leads to. 100% epic gear should be something we strive for, not something we buy after few days of playing (selling stuff, gathering currency).

Not everything needs to be BoP but endgame items that are BoE decrease lifetime of the game a lot. Ultimate incentive becomes just too easy to get.
    edited May 2013
    I think people are too wrapped up in the mindset that drops are the only way of getting items. Roll need on stuff, sell it, buy what you really need off the AH. This is how STO has functioned for years and the system is fine... Outside of people that just rail against utilizing the need/greed system in any other way than that of a traditional MMO
    So you're saying everyone should need on everything, and if they win gear their character doesn't need, sell it to buy their armor? I don't think any company would intentionally design for their game to end up like that, if they did, why would they have the option for greed? The game could essentially just give loot out to random players after you kill a boss, with no need for rolling at all
  • aetam1aetam1 Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I honestly hate BoP. Now why is that?
    -PvP
    Thats always a problem. For interesting matches you want people with equal gear and skill on each team. Now the skill would need a ranking, the gear is a bit different. While there is pvp gear in this game there is only one set and on tier per class. Cleric items for example suck. So you need pve gear. You should never force players to fight through several raid tiers in order to be able to pvp. If you can buy it you can at least equip a character pretty fast.

-New toons
    With my main character I will probably want to go through all the dungeons. But with a new toon you might be interested to do higher lvl dungeons, or more interesting content, and not start all over and grind through t1 dungeons that you have seen a million times. If you have the money saved up from your main hit the ah and you are ready.

-Wasted loot
    You probably all know the feeling, you are doing a dungeon and something drops that nobody has a use for. There is this good purple item but all you can do is sell it for a measly gold to an npc vendor, because it is bound. For me that is just the most annoying thing. Even worse if I have a toon that could use it.
    Also some people have luck, other don't. If you can not trade your loot that means doing one dungeon over and over till you get what you want.

If you want a reward for mastering a difficult dungeon let it be a title, special skin or something. But not BoP loot. That is just unfair for people who simply dislike a specific dungeon or who have no luck with the item they want. If someone simply does foundry dailys let him buy his gear.

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
    edited May 2013
    aetam1 wrote: »
    I honestly hate BoP. Now why is that?
    -PvP
    Thats always a problem. For interesting matches you want people with equal gear and skill on each team. Now the skill would need a ranking, the gear is a bit different. While there is pvp gear in this game there is only one set and on tier per class. Cleric items for example suck. So you need pve gear. You should never force players to fight through several raid tiers in order to be able to pvp. If you can buy it you can at least equip a character pretty fast.

-New toons
    With my main character I will probably want to go through all the dungeons. But with a new toon you might be interested to do higher lvl dungeons, or more interesting content, and not start all over and grind through t1 dungeons that you have seen a million times. If you have the money saved up from your main hit the ah and you are ready.

-Wasted loot
    You probably all know the feeling, you are doing a dungeon and something drops that nobody has a use for. There is this good purple item but all you can do is sell it for a measly gold to an npc vendor, because it is bound. For me that is just the most annoying thing. Even worse if I have a toon that could use it.
    Also some people have luck, other don't. If you can not trade your loot that means doing one dungeon over and over till you get what you want.

If you want a reward for mastering a difficult dungeon let it be a title, special skin or something. But not BoP loot. That is just unfair for people who simply dislike a specific dungeon or who have no luck with the item they want. If someone simply does foundry dailys let him buy his gear.

ok but what will you do about ninjalooter?

It is pretty cool to have an opinion, it is better to have solution
    edited May 2013
    aetam1 wrote: »
    But not BoP loot. That is just unfair for people who simply dislike a specific dungeon or who have no luck with the item they want.

Everyone is selling stuff so prices are more and more affordable while you are getting richer by selling your stuff. If you buy all items you need after few days of playing you won't do dungeon runs at all because you will no longer have any purpose to do so. Not having an incentive you will get bored and quit.

Players are split between those wanting BoP and those sticking to BoE but I honestly think that game should have both those mechanics and the best stuff shouldn't be traded at all. Then some of our items would actually mean something. All epics being cheap may be fun for a while but this is not good for a game or player's experience in a long run.
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if ANY gear, is BoP, then end gear should be BoP.

seeing as there IS BoP gear, end gear here should be BoP, ether that, or that other gear no longer be BoP.