test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I believe top tier gear should be BoP, any thoughts?

jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've tried having this discussion in pre-existing threads, but they usually go off into the no-no topic that gets threads closed. Today I hit lvl 10, and was learning alot of things about the game that I wasn't aware of. The vast majority of the these were very positive, doing my first Foundry quest, doing my first bit of crafting, you get the idea.

This is also the same time that I've found out all gear, including the highest tier of PvE and highest tier of PvP gear is BoE(Bind on Equip, meaning you can sell it). This is a very big turnoff for me. I've played mmos for close to a decade now, and I've come to the realization that the most gratification you can get is getting those couple extra stat points to make your guy that much stronger. It's not killing bosses, because after the first time you'll probably be downing them quite a few more. I think the overall reception of Guild Wars 2 enforces this, when people ran out of stat upgrades to earn, the dungeon running for looks couldn't really keep them around.

My point is that top tier gear should not be purchasable, and no this isn't a "This game is Pay to Win" argument, at least not in the traditional sense, I don't think you should be able to pay for BiS (Best in Slot, best possible gear you can earn) with ANY currency, whether it be purchasable or earn able through the AH. You should have to earn the best gear for what you like to do, by being good at what you do, whether it be PvE or PvP.

The simplest solution I see is making it so the higher tiers of gear bind on pickup. Overall the Zen to AD conversion and vice-versa is not a bad thing. Being able to expedite the pre dungeon gearing process is a nice option, or making it so you won't get totally hosed in PvP while you're trying to earn better pieces.

Sadly, with the way things are now I find it harder and harder to log in, which is a real shame. This game came out of nowhere and really surprised me with how fun it is. I understand it needs to be profitable in some way, and well I think some of the prices in the cash shop are a little higher than necessary, that's an aspect of the game I can live with. But buying BiS with AD, earned through the ah or purchased, is not.

I'd like other people's thoughts on this, and please please please don't let this thread degenerate into mindless name calling. I think this could be very constructive if people stay civil.
Post edited by jmerithew on

Comments

• frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont know what BoP or BiS mean... and i cannot take it of context :S
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well bind on pickup would certainly force those who have not purchased any gear beyond their scope to grind away for it....it would also limit the AH to an extent.... I am for it.....never did liken the idea of pay money equals grindage...just my 2 cents. HELL it would even limit those ninja folks to getting gear..... they can sell for gold only..I do love the repercussions of BoP
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • culgrimculgrim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I personally believe that the best gear should in fact be earned and not auction housed.
  • jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    I dont know what BoP or BiS mean... and i cannot take it of context :S
    Sorry about that, used to using the common abbreviations from other games. I threw in some short definitions for BiS and BoE, but I couldn't edit the title and didn't actually say BoP in my post. But BoP stands for Bind on Pickup, meaning when you loot it it's only usable by you, it's non-tradable.
  • xxviimbxxviimb Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Definitely would halt them ninjas to a stand still.
    But I could also see where it would be a problem, as we would have people "paying" for runs and such.
    In a perfect world we all earn the things that belong to us, but we do not however live in such a world.

I am neither for or nay against this issue, I just see both ways having a butt-load of cons.
    "You have a wife and kids? If so, what would happen, if we called you in at 1am, everytime something went wrong!
    Be respectful, remember, you PLAY the game at your convenience, they WORK at no ones."
    edited May 2013
    xxviimb wrote: »
    Definitely would halt them ninjas to a stand still.
    But I could also see where it would be a problem, as we would have people "paying" for runs and such.
    In a perfect world we all earn the things that belong to us, but we do not however live in such a world.

I am neither for or nay against this issue, I just see both ways having a butt-load of cons.
    That is a good point. It happens in almost every mmo out there and I've yet to really see devs come up with a solution to fix it. Only thing I can think of is fight mechanics that cause your group to get owned if 1 person is being dead weight, but then that causes it's own problems. However, I think it's a less severe issue than the current one, at least in my opinion. People have to make the effort of tracking down a group geared enough for a carry, instead of just loading up their digital cart at the AH.
  • athrogatezathrogatez Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    honestly i don't like the gearing in mmos of recent nature.

like in rift if you loved pvping, oh i completely suck its like im naked against these guys. tons of games later you are dominating the same people trying to GRIND out gear. the even playing field was non-existent.

Honestly the best mmo for gearing imo was DAoC. there was no bad item if it fit in with your template.

stat caps / resist caps etc made gearing so much fun. ive worked for days just planning out what items i wanted to use to get my stats / resists as close to cap as possible.

you could get a random drop that added +30 con and 9 slash resist, to most people this is useless but if your template has everything you want you just need 30 con and 9 slash resist that item is the most amazing thing ever.

yes there were amazing epic drops that practically every 1 had in their template but you didnt have to do it. you could work around with stuff you had etc.
  • koraneskoranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the only issue I have with the current system is that need rolling does not bind the item to the needer.
    edited May 2013
    athrogatez wrote: »
    honestly i don't like the gearing in mmos of recent nature.

like in rift if you loved pvping, oh i completely suck its like im naked against these guys. tons of games later you are dominating the same people trying to GRIND out gear. the even playing field was non-existent.

Honestly the best mmo for gearing imo was DAoC. there was no bad item if it fit in with your template.

stat caps / resist caps etc made gearing so much fun. ive worked for days just planning out what items i wanted to use to get my stats / resists as close to cap as possible.

you could get a random drop that added +30 con and 9 slash resist, to most people this is useless but if your template has everything you want you just need 30 con and 9 slash resist that item is the most amazing thing ever.

yes there were amazing epic drops that practically every 1 had in their template but you didnt have to do it. you could work around with stuff you had etc.
    I feel you on that one. I've never been into PvP myself, but I never thought essentially mandatory PvP stats was an elegant solution, but that's a different argument for a different day lol.
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes.
    and always Cryptic wont change it.
    edited May 2013
    koranes wrote: »
    the only issue I have with the current system is that need rolling does not bind the item to the needer.
    That would fix the ninja to sell issue, but I think the core issue causing that is that the gear is even sell-able in the first place.
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    That would fix the ninja to sell issue, but I think the core issue causing that is that the gear is even sell-able in the first place.
    I have no issue with someone selling a greed won item. none at all.
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    yes.
    and always Cryptic wont change it.

I'm really hoping since it's still "Beta", that this is something they'll consider, because ultimately it's something that I honestly believe would improve the long term appeal of the game. Like I said in my original post, looking at Guild Wars 2 is a good indication of what happens when the carrot on a stick goes away. If people have to earn the gear it's more reason for them to actually play the game, and spend money in the cash shop on other things.
    edited May 2013
    I'm really hoping since it's still "Beta", that this is something they'll consider, because ultimately it's something that I honestly believe would improve the long term appeal of the game. Like I said in my original post, looking at Guild Wars 2 is a good indication of what happens when the carrot on a stick goes away. If people have to earn the gear it's more reason for them to actually play the game, and spend money in the cash shop on other things.

someone has to earn the item for another to buy it. the system levels out.
  • kaasdoekkaasdoek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is not BoP or BoE. Its the high content beeing bugged and exploited every minute and every Dungeon Delve.

Some people are asking for a reset, i can't blame them for that request. honnestly, i am already bored, don't have the heart to go through millions of damage every hour.
    edited May 2013
    kaasdoek wrote: »
    The problem is not BoP or BoE. Its the high content beeing bugged and exploited every minute and every Dungeon Delve.

Some people are asking for a reset, i can't blame them for that request. honnestly, i am already bored, don't have the heart to go through millions of damage every hour.

I have earned my s#!+ and no way am I losing it to a reset. just wait for raids, if I remember right raid level gear will be unsellable except for 3 or 4 items.
    edited May 2013
    I have earned my s#!+ and no way am I losing it to a reset. just wait for raids, if I remember right raid level gear will be unsellable except for 3 or 4 items.

What makes you think there will be any raids? As far as i know most PWE games have 5 men content only. But i have not played them all so i could be wrong. PWE is good at updating Zen shop, that i do know.
    edited May 2013
    What makes you think there will be any raids? As far as i know most PWE games have 5 men content only. But i have not played them all so i could be wrong. PWE is good at updating Zen shop, that i do know.

crisys has already said in an interview that there will be raids. most likely located in gantlgrym.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cryptic isnt going to change it beta or not. For the simple reason that its fairly obvious that they want gear trading to drive AD and zen sales. It is hands down the ONLY reason the AH is set to AD sales. This is the only game of Cryptics that functions this way, and this is the only pure F2P game they have.

Setting gear, including the highest tier and therefore most valuable gear, to BOP would be counter productive to this very system. Like it or not, this is a design choice Cryptic has made and unless it turns out to be a complete flop. I don't see it changing.
  • redstormdracoredstormdraco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it dosnt mater what ppl think how it should be. this game will end up being just like PWI and all other games the PWE makes. after a while if you want best in game stuff you will have to pay real money. for example I new a woman on PWI that took out 2nd loan on house just to get best in game gear so she could dominate in pvp and now she is homeless, and there has been many many more like her. they dont care about the average player that wants to play and earn their stuff. all they see is $$$$$
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Cryptic isnt going to change it beta or not. For the simple reason that its fairly obvious that they want gear trading to drive AD and zen sales. It is hands down the ONLY reason the AH is set to AD sales. This is the only game of Cryptics that functions this way, and this is the only pure F2P game they have.

Setting gear, including the highest tier and therefore most valuable gear, to BOP would be counter productive to this very system. Like it or not, this is a design choice Cryptic has made and unless it turns out to be a complete flop. I don't see it changing.

TBH its a good system cause it is truly a F2P thats not P2W. anyone can gear up and have fun free or wallet warrior and wallet warriors have no power advantage over free players.
    edited May 2013
    it dosnt mater what ppl think how it should be. this game will end up being just like PWI and all other games the PWE makes. after a while if you want best in game stuff you will have to pay real money. for example I new a woman on PWI that took out 2nd loan on house just to get best in game gear so she could dominate in pvp and now she is homeless, and there has been many many more like her. they dont care about the average player that wants to play and earn their stuff. all they see is $$$$$
    PWE is only the producer Cryptic has 100% control of the game and its content.

Edited to correct stupid error
  • morinoxmorinox Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that the end gear you get from dungeons/buy should be character bound. However, it won't happen. And i'm content with that, cause i'm a casual gamer, not a hardcore gamer and finally, i hate PVP, so to me, this game isn't P2W, rather Pay for Convenience.

I did hope that this game would be a P2P game before i got news that it was developed for the F2P platform though (Obviously prior to me registering for the open beta).

It's so sad that games like these are ruined by greed. I mean, games in the past used to be about having fun while you paid your tiny fee every month in order to enjoy all the game had to offer, but now, it's a money race to get the best stuff available. Seriously, the mmorpg is in a really sad state. Hence i tend to stick longer to the P2P titles as there's no money race in those games and i don't have to read these P2W threads every time i go on their forums.
    "For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace..."

~Admiral Arleigh Burke~
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gear is a crutch that poor players need to make up for a lack of skill. If the best gear can only be acquired by doing the toughest content and it binds when you pick it up then the only people to ever get the most powerful gear are the people that do not need it. The very first time the hardest content is beaten by a group (meaning no one on the server has ever beaten that content before) it has to be done without the drops from that boss (since the boss has never been killed before and thus has never dropped anything). The people that beat this content are able to do so without needing the gear that the boss drops. Acquiring the boss's gear only allows them to do it more easily the next time until eventually they find the content easy because everyone is fully geared (and they were already skilled enough players to be able to beat the content without any of the gear in the first place).

Great gear is most needed by poor players. A person that lacks the skill to beat the content without the best gear truly needs that gear to make up for their poor performance. That is what gear is for. The worse the player the better the gear they need to be able to play the game. Most single player games understand this and make the high difficulties hard by having fewer power ups and less armor. Most MMORPG's were made by people that lacked common sense and decided that only the best players should get the best gear thus resulting in content that is too easy for them and too hard for everyone else. The best gear needs to be sellable at auction because people that do not have the ability to defeat the hard content without the best gear need a way to acquire it. They need their crutch. And all the other players benefit when we let them buy their crutches because otherwise they queue with their normal gear and perform terribly which puts a strain on all the other players and makes the content harder than it was supposed to be.
    edited May 2013
    PWE is only the producer Crysis has 100% control of the game and its content.

I think the company is called Cryptic. And PWE is the Publisher yes, but they control the content more than you think. don't you find it odd, that an epic mount here cost the same as the other PWE games? As one of the posters stated above regarding the woman taking a loan to improve her character.

this is not a weird story. I played Battle of Immortals. Me my self spend around 500 euro over 18 months time. I was no where near the top. Becuase i met people who have spend between 5000 to 10000 euro/dollar. And the top Magnus called DreamZhebe. Well i heard stories from his guild members saying that that guy already passed the 20000 euro on zen spending.

Some people get addicted and drawn into the power aspect of the game that PWE games provides. it's like gambling really.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the company is called Cryptic. And PWE is the Publisher yes, but they control the content more than you think. don't you find it odd, that an epic mount here cost the same as the other PWE games? As one of the posters stated above regarding the woman taking a loan to improve her character.

this is not a weird story. I played Battle of Immortals. Me my self spend around 500 euro over 18 months time. I was no where near the top. Becuase i met people who have spend between 5000 to 10000 euro/dollar. And the top Magnus called DreamZhebe. Well i heard stories from his guild members saying that that guy already passed the 20000 euro on zen spending.

Some people get addicted and drawn into the power aspect of the game that PWE games provides. it's like gambling really.
    Or any other hobby. :p
  • rick4003rick4003 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guys its a beta (ok beta-ish) no where near a finished product. I came over to neverwinter from star trek online. Its another cryptic game that is very similar and about 90% of all the best max level stuff is bind of pickup. None of it is purchased either. Its all earned though projects either individual or guild. The pay stuff mostly adds customization. But please dont knock paying for stuff in a F2P. Cryptic isnt a charity they offer a system that allows you to put in what you want when you want and always gives you something for it. People who buy things in a f2p arent suckers they are customers.
  • aveanavean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bind On "Need" I agree with. However basic Epics greed won should be BoE since unneeded gear holds minimal value.
    The game also supports the desire for multiple characters so you want to support and gear alts, however Need should be needed.
    edited May 2013

the prices my be controled by PWE but what hits the market is in the dev's hands. and as with any hobby personal control is something that cryptic and PWE are not responsible for.
  • lollielollie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't be silly, removing sell for AD means less people buy zen. Obviously something PWE will not allow.