test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, When Are You Nerfing That Cleric Blue Shield Skill?

Comments

• munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    Ohhhh, I see, so when you can exploit a mechanic to make things easier it doesn't need to be fixed. It just makes players "bad players".

This is seriously the argument your going with? GTFO with that weak nonsense.

I am sorry that "you" feel the need to always use 2 clerics, or "you" feel that GF's are not viable. But in your logic, none of the clerics heals should stack then either, in your precious 2 cleric heal team. You know, the Temporary hit points gained from abilities, heals from Seals. With your logic, only one ability should be utitlized on a given player. With that being said, your 2 man cleric team will be useless. I wonder if you can understand how I just layed it out for you..../ponder

You logic is flawed fancy pants, AS is working as they intended it to.
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My group runs double cleric, double CW, 1 rogue. A tank only slows us down because our clerics and myself can tank just fine with double stacked seals.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with doing this, either.

As has been said more than once in this thread: until they fix the LFD tool so that it always puts a tank in the group, I see no reason at all to change the DC shield ability. As for pre-made groups like yours ... honestly, I couldn't care less, & I'm not sure why anyone else would care; it's your group's business what classes you choose to include or exclude, & all's right with the world.

Game on.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • muzlibmuzlib Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rofl @ people who think that the stacking aspect of the skill is balanced

bring multiple clerics and blow through tier 2 content with no tank - fast and ez
    its not balanced and it need to change
  • rayuken4rayuken4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    No no no. What invalidates the GF class is the idiots playing the GF. None of this whiny thread <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> holds any water. There are plenty of GF's and Clerics playing that are having the time of there lives and kicking *** at the class. Terrible players are flooding these forums. Thats the problem

You obviously have no idea what is going on in dungeons, stick to your cloak tower.
  • rayuken4rayuken4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And seriously, you all need to read better. Nerf the STACKING aspect of it, you dolts.
    edited May 2013
    rayuken4 wrote: »
    You obviously have no idea what is going on in dungeons, stick to your cloak tower.

Lol, pretty sure I am among the very fiew that has completed caverns legit with only 1 cleric, anyways.

You obviously do not understand your own logic. If you nerf the stacking aspect of AS, how is that any differant then Temp health spec'd feats/powers and heals, of 2 clerics stacking? If you want to nerf stacking, then YOU having 2 clerics in your group would be obsolete my young grasshopper. Maybe you should take your own advice and head back to the Cloak Tower for some training.

I <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in your general direction =/
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And seriously, you all need to read better. Nerf the STACKING aspect of it, you dolts.

My argument, throughout this thread, is specifically about the STACKING aspect of it.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
    edited May 2013
    flayedawg wrote: »
    My argument, throughout this thread, is specifically about the STACKING aspect of it.

I'm not sure why you guys arent understanding simple logic. Stacking AS is no differant then Temp hps and heals from multiple clerics. If they nerf AS, they would rightfully so have to nerf temp hps and heals as well, other wise its just nerfing an ability because "you" feel it is OP.

That being said, when they bring in 10 mans or more content, that would mean it would be pointless to bring more then 1 healer, because you wanted to nerf stacking, and cleric heals would constantly just over write each other. If you dont understand this then I'm not sure what else to say to ya,

Cheers
  • dahkohtdahkoht Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll be honest , while not calling for a nerf , just about every mmorpg I've ever played has never allowed shields to stack.

Every mechanic is not the same as every other. Just because some do stack (say a dot or hot ) doesn't mean the rule should be universal , some just logically don't fit game mechanics. It's bit daft to suggest every rule has to apply for every mechanic universally when that not the way any other mmorpg operates.

Shields should overwrite the previous one , refresh it etc , but stacking multiple shields seems downright silly.
  • therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    muzlib wrote: »
    bring multiple clerics and blow through tier 2 content with no tank - fast and ez
    its not balanced and it need to change
    Is it genuinely faster and easier than having one GF and one DC? I'm asking because not having played either class (except on closed beta weekends), I don't really know.

Another explanation is that some players are so invested in the 1 tank, 1 heal, 3 dps model that any deviation from it is viewed as "terribad" (or whatever the kids are saying these days). IMO, if intra- or inter-class synergies allow variations in team composition, without any one type of synergy dominating, that's a good thing. So my question is whether 2 DCs really do dominate 1 GF and 1 DC.

Anyone got some numbers on that? xhatch mentioned the stationary component of the shield, but how much do the shields stack to increase effective hit points, as opposed to the EHP of GFs? And how much are DCs sacrificing in terms of heals, damage, and other utilities in order to keep the shields up?

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
  • demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Alright so first up. I'm by no means a great Rogue player. It's my first character and I haven't speced for PvP (executioner instead of saboteur) but I do okay in PvP.
    That blue shield thing however. Holy **** son, just so happens I was facing an enemy team with 2 clerics, and the blue shield was insane. I don't know if my skill/gear/build is sub-par (probably is) but I was basically unable to damage the enemy with my at will attacks. And using my stealth + daily + encounter did bring them down...by like a quarter only for their health to be brought back up by the clerics.
    It's a pretty freaking powerful ability. But I suppose it serves as a good counter balance to Rogues.
    The ability has one huge downside in PvP however, you have to stay in/near the circle which allows the other team to backdoor. So I don't think it's game breaking but some balance would be nice.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    flayedawg wrote: »
    As for pre-made groups like yours ... honestly, I couldn't care less, & I'm not sure why anyone else would care; it's your group's business what classes you choose to include or exclude, & all's right with the world.

GF's care because it removes them from the privileged position of "must have for any group", which is one of the reasons some of them rolled tanks.

(But, really, this has always been a "problem" in any MMO.... whichever new dungeon/raid/encounter comes out, people figure out that Warlocks are useless for it and stacking 4 Shamans makes it easy, and the forums fill with "Lair of the Red Hydra sucks because no one wants my Warlock for it/my class has no place in raiding/endgame/pvp/whatever.")
  • deurkier1deurkier1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    Dude without the blue shield in PvE it would be so much harder
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am sorry that "you" feel the need to always use 2 clerics, or "you" feel that GF's are not viable. But in your logic, none of the clerics heals should stack then either, in your precious 2 cleric heal team. You know, the Temporary hit points gained from abilities, heals from Seals. With your logic, only one ability should be utitlized on a given player. With that being said, your 2 man cleric team will be useless. I wonder if you can understand how I just layed it out for you..../ponder

You logic is flawed fancy pants, AS is working as they intended it to.

Again, no. Please stop putting words into my mouth, it won't make you any more credible. I don't feel I need to do anything, but using stacking shields trivializes the GF and provides for a significantly easier run. You can certainly do things without using it, but your climbing a mountain instead of walking around it.
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    therealted wrote: »
    Is it genuinely faster and easier than having one GF and one DC? I'm asking because not having played either class (except on closed beta weekends), I don't really know.

Another explanation is that some players are so invested in the 1 tank, 1 heal, 3 dps model that any deviation from it is viewed as "terribad" (or whatever the kids are saying these days). IMO, if intra- or inter-class synergies allow variations in team composition, without any one type of synergy dominating, that's a good thing. So my question is whether 2 DCs really do dominate 1 GF and 1 DC.

Anyone got some numbers on that? xhatch mentioned the stationary component of the shield, but how much do the shields stack to increase effective hit points, as opposed to the EHP of GFs? And how much are DCs sacrificing in terms of heals, damage, and other utilities in order to keep the shields up?

Yes, it's significantly faster AND safer. I don't know the numbers, but with 2 or 3 shields damage becomes fairly trivial... Especially with 2 or 3 clerics also healing.
  • asakochanasakochan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    man more nerfed than already is??? delete already this class from the game, would be faster!!

GEEEESEEE!
  • kneehighsyaaaakneehighsyaaaa Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The games been out 16 ****ing days and you are already calling for nerfs? People like you are the reason Rift took a giant **** in 2 months. STFU and play the game, you dont like it...go outside, put a bucket on your head..and run into a tree for awhile, knock some sense into you.

/flip

No, Rift took a giant **** in two months because the game sucked. The pvp was terrible, the pve was non-existent, and the developers never did anything to fix it. It wasn't about people discussing class balancing.

Also, I play a GF and I don't feel like any 1 ability removes my "class purpose" from a group. I can still tank, I still hold threat, and I still do it better than any other class. My only real concern is if I will be needed for the higher 60+ content. I know warriors in Tera were pretty much laughed at when it came to "tanking" any hard content...so I wonder if GF is the end all to tanking pve?
    Gza the Genius - Elf Guardian Fighter
    the Rza - dog companion

Mindflayer
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a PvE concern because it invalidates the GF class

Let me assure you, its not that what makes GFs more or less useless, its the design of encounters that forces you to stack either 2 clerics or 2 CWs, rest are just additions.
  • realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Surely this isn't mean to be stacked with multiple clerics, you are removing the need for tanks with this skill if stacked. One version of it enough, but to have 2 clerics using it, they take close to zero damage.

You make a great case... considering you can't even name the skill you are talking about... I'm pretty sure you are talking about Astral shield however Astral shield alone isn't what causes this insane damage reduction, it is generally a mixture of Astral Shield and Foresight. Even so the issue isn't this, the issue is that GFs can't tank adds very well and so they get ignored. If GFs could tank adds more effectively it wouldn't be an issue but as it stands the only way for a cleric to really stand a chance is to have another cleric around else they will get overwhelmed or have to continually kite to survive which generally means... not healing.
  • kneehighsyaaaakneehighsyaaaa Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Let me assure you, its not that what makes GFs more or less useless, its the design of encounters that forces you to stack either 2 clerics or 2 CWs, rest are just additions.

I noticed that in the few dungeons I have done...it ends up with me tanking the big named, 2 CW's cc'ing and ae'ing a **** ton of adds, and 2 DC's healing. Every fight is the same for the most part so far. I'm not worried about a DC's shield making me "invaluable" to a group yet.
    If GFs could tank adds more effectively it wouldn't be an issue but as it stands the only way for a cleric to really stand a chance is to have another cleric around else they will get overwhelmed or have to continually kite to survive which generally means... not healing.

That is totally true. I can barely hold efficient aggro on one mob(not sure if it is me...but I have every threat ability/upgrade) so when every boss fight is just a swarm of adds you kind've need a healer for the healer. I almost feel like in this game we need a direct AE taunt for 5 seconds or so. Poor design but maybe it will it get better.
    Gza the Genius - Elf Guardian Fighter
    the Rza - dog companion

Mindflayer
  • icyicy99icyicy99 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too many GF abilities have a very small target limit, like frontline surge that can only hit up to 3 targets.
    Fixing things like that would go a long way towards making GF much more viable as a melee aoe dps class, not relying on the short range cleave auto attack so much.

That's a much easier fix to make compared to the entire cleric/tank aggro and encounter design mess.
  • realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That is totally true. I can barely hold efficient aggro on one mob(not sure if it is me...but I have every threat ability/upgrade) so when every boss fight is just a swarm of adds you kind've need a healer for the healer. I almost feel like in this game we need a direct AE taunt for 5 seconds or so. Poor design but maybe it will it get better.

Well to be optimistic, that's the point of openbeta. To test the waters and the devs must be aware of this issue by now, however there is a bigger issue at play too which is that Threat on the entire cleric class appears to be bugged, Devoted Clerics seem to draw more threat than their actions dictate and some people have found that doing certain things fixes or at least alleviates that bug for a single dungeon run. It involves un-equiping everything at the start of the dungeon, making sooth an active passive and then re-equipping armor... and I'm not even joking.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ROFLCOPTER

As if being nerfed by default wasn't enough for clerics. Now we are acttually going to nerf them more actively.

<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • justkiddingjustkidding Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Buff GF aggro management and damage mitigation. I'm not sure I want to keep being delicious yummy candy to adds.
  • pinchzpinchz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    I'm an 11k GS cleric and I only run with my guild group where I am the only healer, and Astral Shield seems necessary due to the mob damage. However, when I do pugs and we bring 2 clerics, it's a complete joke at how little damage everyone is taking and how you can stand in absolutely everything. It's hard to deny that this goes against the spirit of the game where you can stand in all the red circles and have anyone tank mobs indefinitely.

Astral Shield simply needs a damage cap on how much damage it can reduce. That would still let it help you reduce the physical damage from monsters effectively, but wouldn't allow you to stand in all the red circles and still live.
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This ability has nerf written all over it.

For one, it completely removes the need for a tank at all in the game in PvE. They didn't make a class (Guardian) and intend for it not to be used in dungeons throughout the game. The meta game has simply developed around this ability and it stacking to render that class worthless in groups because no one needs you to pull threat/tank when no one is taking any damage. It's clearly a design oversight.

Unfortunately that in itself wouldn't get it changed.

What WILL get it changed is people abusing the hell out of double stacking buff to breeze through end game content. No designer likes their player base just abusing game mechanics to get through content. It's why they nerfed the Foundry, because you could hit 60 in less than a day of play if you did it right bypassing all the game content. It's the same reason they're going to nerf this, because you can abuse the hell out of a design oversight and gear yourself up with little to no effort.

Abuse it while it lasts, cause it won't last long.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pinchz wrote: »
    I'm an 11k GS cleric and I only run with my guild group where I am the only healer, and Astral Shield seems necessary due to the mob damage. However, when I do pugs and we bring 2 clerics, it's a complete joke at how little damage everyone is taking and how you can stand in absolutely everything. It's hard to deny that this goes against the spirit of the game where you can stand in all the red circles and have anyone tank mobs indefinitely.

Astral Shield simply needs a damage cap on how much damage it can reduce. That would still let it help you reduce the physical damage from monsters effectively, but wouldn't allow you to stand in all the red circles and still live.

AS reducing all damage by however much (i can't remember off the top of my head) is fine. it's like 20% or something. what needs to be fixed is multiple shields stacking the damage reduction. so, if you run two clerics, lets say AS reduces 25% damage. 25% + 25% = 50%. leave the healing being able to stack (as its two different shields), but don't let the damage reduction stack.

if they do nerf astral shield directly (whether healing/damage reuduction/radius), they need to buff something else to compensate. there's so much power put on AS (plus talents). i wouldn't mind seeing AS nerfed if they buffed (or tweaked) something else to compensate.
  • pinchzpinchz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    AS reducing all damage by however much (i can't remember off the top of my head) is fine. it's like 20% or something. what needs to be fixed is multiple shields stacking the damage reduction. so, if you run two clerics, lets say AS reduces 25% damage. 25% + 25% = 50%. leave the healing being able to stack (as its two different shields), but don't let the damage reduction stack.

if they do nerf astral shield directly (whether healing/damage reuduction/radius), they need to buff something else to compensate. there's so much power put on AS (plus talents). i wouldn't mind seeing AS nerfed if they buffed (or tweaked) something else to compensate.

Astral Shield is 20% DR base, +10% for each power point (so, rank 3 is 40% damage reduction). That alone is quite high for a single ability that has 100% uptime and also heals everyone for 1,000~ (in T2 gear) per second if used with divinity.

I agree that it shouldn't be able to stack, and that is probably the biggest issue with it. Since it's additive, 2 Clerics are bringing you up to 80% damage reduction. Add the Foresight passive on to that (11% with feats), and you're up at 91% damage reduced permanently. That's just ridiculous!

Astral Shield itself is still very powerful, even if you only have one. I don't expect many changes to it though, considering that it would requiring a lot of rebalancing of the game if it were to get nerfed, as it is the only ability preventing your party from getting one shot by some of the mobs in T2 dungeons.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If you have 2 clerics in your group you're giving up crowd control/DPS to gain something... because let's be clear, clerics are not even remotely close to top DPSs in a group. In this case what you gain by getting 2 clerics it's called survivability.
    You will clear the boss not as fast as if you had 4 DPSs, but you'll be doing it more safely.

I don't see the issue here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • thepresident777thepresident777 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe the problem is GF.