test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is the spirit of exploration dead?

elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Perhaps I've lived too long...

Now I'm not talking about wandering zone maps trying to clear the Fog, or get some 100% achievement. I'm talking about the moment when you start up a new game and try to find out what it can do. The first time I logged in to Neverwinter, I started clicking all the buttons on the interface to see what they did. When I got in to town, I went to all the vendors on the map to see what they sold. As a consequence of which, I discovered where to get ID scrolls. I discovered where to get crafting supplies.

When did people stop doing this?
"Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
Post edited by elessym on

Comments

• Options
    scrolltro0lscrolltro0l Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The day gaming became a sport.
    Member of Order of the Raven Guild

scroll_sig.png
    lgz_sig.png
  • Options
    swamprobswamprob Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The part that I lament the most is when I join groups. It seems like every single player has the same goal: get the instance done as fast as possible. I like to pause a moment between battles, spend a luxurious 15 seconds id'ing some green I just got, look around and appreciate the artwork put into the game. I swear in every MMO I play, every time I get a quest that says "find companions" I just think ugh, this won't be fun. It's always go go go, now now now, like the servers are about to be shut off.
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes it's been replaced by laziness combined with instant gratification.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah.

Some people don't have the desire to just play. They have to immediately begin working towards the level cap and anything that doesn't move them towards that goal is a waste of time. Anything that moves them towards that goal at a slower rate of speed is less desireable than something that makes it happen faster.

Thus all of the Foundry exploit issues.

Never mind that knowing where to get things like identify scrolls might actually be helpful for people as they level up, it just doesn't directly contribute to that singular obsession.
  • Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's always a race to lvl cap nowadays. I mean why else sell people headstarts etc. rush rush rush to the cap then whine whine whine nothing to do seems to be the norm. I like to take my time and see the sights myself. ;)
  • Options
    cnynridr2cnynridr2 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A buddy and I joined a DD the other day and everyone was running thru it. We wanted to explore so we went off to check all the hallways etc and finally the group came back to us and we actually slowed the pace down a little and everyone had fun looking for secret doors etc. Sometimes it just a matter of saying/showing it to the group.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cap smap. Don't care about the cap. I just play the game and wander around the maps
  • Options
    lageralelagerale Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah.

Some people don't have the desire to just play. They have to immediately begin working towards the level cap and anything that doesn't move them towards that goal is a waste of time. Anything that moves them towards that goal at a slower rate of speed is less desireable than something that makes it happen faster.

Thus all of the Foundry exploit issues.

Never mind that knowing where to get things like identify scrolls might actually be helpful for people as they level up, it just doesn't directly contribute to that singular obsession.

See I might agree but you use the wrong example. I checked out EVERY vendor for ID scrolls and didn't find them. Not because I'm rushing or lazy, but because I don't buy with ADs so I NEVER checked any AD vendor. Just like I checked the AH once, for the quest, but when I saw it was only for ADs I never went back.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I blame energy drinks, and Obama.

Seriously though, I am the kind of guy who needs to figure out the lay of the land as well. Find all the vendors, find all the little nooks where the Easter eggs are hidden. I find that I have gone from being a 100% grouper back in EQ to a 99.9% solo player. Not because I'm antisocial, but because everyone runs around like a spastic newbie, rushing everywhere. I prefer dungeon crawls to dungeon runs thank you very much. I wonder how many of these rushers are missing out on the hidden chests, or the sub bosses that aren't on the golden path?
  • Options
    solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Big question is ... who turned off the Angel Dust trail to make it more of a challenge to find where you need to go (also helping with exploring)

I said I would not use it, but I'm Human and lazy. You give me these blasted tools for a 4 year old and I choose to use them! /sigh
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    solresol wrote: »
    Big question is ... who turned off the Angel Dust trail to make it more of a challenge to find where you need to go (also helping with exploring)

I said I would not use it, but I'm Human and lazy. You give me these blasted tools for a 4 year old and I choose to use them! /sigh

Heh. Got me - I've got the glowy trail on too. But in my defense, on an instance map I usually go the opposite direction to see what the devs are hiding from me :)
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    scneedlscneedl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I turned that little trail thingy off on day one and haven't used it since.....a choice I made back in one of the beta weekends, and I'm glad I did it. I found myself just watching the little trail on my screen and nothing else when I had it on in beta, and think I would've missed a lot in the game if I hadn't turned it off...tunnel vision I guess :p
  • Options
    anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The faerie trail doesnt seem to distract me from exploring. On the map, I pin the location where it leads to, so its just to orient, even when not following it.

I enjoy exploration too. The artwork is beautiful. I love the ability to toggle the UI, so can I can just appreciate the scene and scenery, when everything is calm.
  • Options
    ungodlywarlockungodlywarlock Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »

Now I'm not talking about wandering zone maps trying to clear the Fog, or get some 100% achievement. I'm talking about the moment when you start up a new game and try to find out what it can do. The first time I logged in to Neverwinter, I started clicking all the buttons on the interface to see what they did. When I got in to town, I went to all the vendors on the map to see what they sold. As a consequence of which, I discovered where to get ID scrolls. I discovered where to get crafting supplies.

I totally agree.
    The zone chat in the capital city is particularly disturbing. It's just question after question that could be answered with a the SMALLEST amount of digging or in a worst case scenario a google search. I'm not saying I don't want to help people. In fact, I love being helpful for questions that are innocent enough - especially if it's applicable to the zone you are in.

But questions like...
    "What is Zen?"
    "How do I see my character sheet?"
    "Where do I buy a mount?"
    "What level do I get a mount?"
    "Are there mounts in this game?"
    etc...etc...etc...
    ...are frankly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. And when you have hundreds of people asking their own little question in their own little world and then actually getting PISSED that people aren't answering, it gets a bit old.

Just....LOOK AROUND. Most things are answered quite quickly. This game is fairly casual. You'll find out where the mount vendor is soon enough.
  • Options
    clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I blame wikis. For an established game, if you don't know where something is or you don't know which build is better for a fighter. you can look it up in the wiki. Players get into that habit and no longer explore. I use the blunder and seridipity approach. It takes longer but I like that style. I will not come out with the best character or gear but I have fun that way.
  • Options
    jeff597660jeff597660 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    i also like to take it slow and explore you're not only learning the game but it also helps to make the gold for pots if you know where to find all the chests and ofc you get other goodies from the chests but mostly it's just fun to explore and see what maps have to offer
  • Options
    wolfsong84wolfsong84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree. I'm someone who gets caught up in the "OH SHINY!" in the Cloak Tower, and I really would like to take it at a more leisurely pace in that portion of it. It does get frustrating to plow through the thing at breakneck speed....

Edit to add: bf agrees
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013

I did the same. My first night playing the game I hardly played at all. I read all the tutorial tips, figured out what all the currency was for, and when I had a question, I hit the forums and found my answer. You are not alone. I'm sure that we are in the minority, though.
    Hell, every pub game I join is a rush to the end of the dungeon. I can't even get people to stop for hidden loot chests when I veer off path for even a few seconds.
  • Options
    solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did the same. My first night playing the game I hardly played at all. I read all the tutorial tips, figured out what all the currency was for, and when I had a question, I hit the forums and found my answer. You are not alone. I'm sure that we are in the minority, though.
    Hell, every pub game I join is a rush to the end of the dungeon. I can't even get people to stop for hidden loot chests when I veer off path for even a few seconds.

I love the Rogues that run through the traps then scream for a heal :). Yup, no such thing as a dungeon "crawl" anymore :(
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I really wish there was a way to make dungeon runs with a smaller party or solo possible. If my wife and I were able to do a run just the two of us, a 45 min run could easily hit 2 hours. And we would be giddy about it.
  • Options
    stargeezertimstargeezertim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'd just like to know where all you fellow explorers are when I'm forced to PUG a dungeon? :cool:

Seriously, I almost always wind up in a group where they've all guzzled a six-pack of Red Bull, rush through everything, and of course select NEED on every roll, whether their class can actually use it or not. My friends and I did a quick skirmish for the Daily this afternoon (there are 3 of us) and the 2 adds were poster children for the attention deprived.

"Don't attack the mimic!", I said. What did they do? You guessed it. I was the only CW in the group, and these two (both TR's) rolled NEED on every piece, including a couple of nice wizzy pieces. Normally I try not to be a dink, but these two were aggravating me something fierce, so when the blue Rogue boots dropped after the end boss, I rolled NEED...and won 'em. Sweet justice. :D

Every once in a while I get a decent pick-up group that takes their time, extends common courtesy with regard to rolls, etc. Sadly, it's the exception and not the rule.
    hh_banner_small_revised_zps5bc02b95.jpg

Will /danceseductive for ZEN. :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If anyone wants to make an old farts guild for slow *** 'slporin and whatnot, count me in. This being my first MMO experience, I wouldn't want to helm such a task. But it might help for those lvl60 dungeons when we get there, no?
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I've been wondering that lately as well. First thing I did when I entered the game was look at the options & keybinds. And then at all the buttons on the screen. First thing I did when I entered the Enclave for the first time was open up the map and look at all the icons. Walking to Knox for the first time took me through the Market..... so I looked and/or talked to every vendor there.

And then there's the demo quests they give you - Go to the profession vendor. Go to the PvP building. Here's a fake Idol to take to Rhix & the Wondrous Bazaar lady. Etc.

So many of the questions asked have their answers in just looking around. Is there a bank? Where do I turn in these idols? Where do I get charcoal? Where's the pvp vendor? What do I do with these Seals?

/sigh

(It's nothing new, however. I was playing Star Trek Online back when the Holiday event happened. When you enter the Winter Wonderland zone, you're in the middle of a gazebo, with a bunch of NPC questgivers & vendors standing around you. You'd think people would check what those NPCs do. But no, the most common questions in chat were "where do I buy holiday loot" "where do I turn in these animal tags" "where do I start the race"..... )
  • Options
    azrahielazrahiel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Count me in for the guild too if someone is making one. I'd love to run with some of you not addicted to red bull ppl.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Frankly i have noticed the following.

Rogues and dps meters. Ive found they like to charge ahead and take on the mobs solo so they can pad their dps and epeen. So then u end up rushing along too. Now i dont want a two hour run but id like to get the chests and the nodes at least and have a look around a touch. Frankly im getting to the point of not charging along and let them kill and stroll through but then i look bad cause im not deepsing enough. Sigh

I wish i could have a macro when i start a run to say chill out on the dps padding. They know they are cheating the dps but they still do it.
  • Options
    ashgan99ashgan99 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    Frankly i have noticed the following.

Rogues and dps meters. Ive found they like to charge ahead and take on the mobs solo so they can pad their dps and epeen. So then u end up rushing along too. Now i dont want a two hour run but id like to get the chests and the nodes at least and have a look around a touch. Frankly im getting to the point of not charging along and let them kill and stroll through but then i look bad cause im not deepsing enough. Sigh

I wish i could have a macro when i start a run to say chill out on the dps padding. They know they are cheating the dps but they still do it.
    HE HE call me evil but I tend to notice that there usualy is only one cleric or one guardian with the rare second. and since both my mains are cleric and guardian if I feel like exploring then they better hope they can take it on without a cleric or guardian
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Because levelling up as a group gets boring. MMORPGs are all about the cap level end-game! But you can't reach the end-game until you level up to the cap level! Cause I dunno about you guys, but I always seem to have a completely different game time schedule than my friends and guildmates. Either I'll log in so early that no one is online yet, or I log late and everyone started doing stuff without me.

Either way, levelling as a group SUCKS!!! If I log too early, I don't want to just slack around doing nothing! I wanna play the game! So I'm gonna start doing quests for an hour or two, then everyone I know logs and since I progressed further, I gotta backtrack and start doing the same quests I already did all over again. Or it's the other way around. I log late, everyone is already online questing and they are ahead of me. So I either gotta skip what I was doing and go do what they are doing, or they gotta backtrack and bore themselves by redoing the quests I'm at!

Then there's the whole issue about some want to play slower, some faster, some wanna take breaks more often, others just wanna keep going, etc... etc...

My point is, this is a Massive Multiplayer Online RPG, it's not intended to play as a solo game, and I don't want to only play it as a solo game either, but half the time, I need to play it solo or else I get bored or exhausted!

But I never get bored or exhausted when I'm at the cap level because everyone is at the same level!!! No matter what piece of content we do in the end-game, it will benefit everyone! I can solo farm stuff for gold on my own time, then do a 5-man dungeon with 5 friends and we all benefit from it cause we're all level 60! Or we can all farm a foundry quest together, but if I get tired, I can just leave the group and they can continue without me... but will it matter if they play more? Nope! We're already 60! They can't out-level me anymore and the next day they won't have to redo old quests that I haven't done!

See? This is why I rush to the end-game! To stop worrying about outlevelling friends or being outlevelled!
  • Options
    drpallisadedrpallisade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    I have one character I play myself

I have one character I keep for group / friend antics

Has worked in past games and is working in this one as well ;)
    Castle Dunsmere
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know the one that really bugs me? "Is there any way to respec feats & powers?" Yes, yes there is. Check out that button that's right on the Power & Feat windows that you've been looking at every level since you started playing.

/headdesk
  • Options
    belniusbelnius Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've seen this behaviour in several MMOs (including DDO). It's a nightmare to come late to the party, post launch, as by then everyone else knows the dungeons and they want to rush through with spoilers. :(

Only the community can address this, I suppose on a per server basis (Mindflayer!). We need people, including all those agreeing, to start "norush group for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" so that players wanting this can actually have a chance to experience the best of the explorative side to this D&D inspired MMO.