test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Q&A] - The technical Q&A thread

Comments

• agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    giovith wrote: »
    Hi, I'm working on a dungeon map at the moment and I'm having a few issues. My bosses at the end of the floor keep disappearing as soon as I label them as an objective. They are there right up until I do that part though so its confusing the heck outta me. I am also experiencing a technical glitch in which several of the objects and encounters I place on the map spawn under the floor all the way at the bottom of the world. Any suggestions/tips? Thanks.

Sounds like a Y axis issue. Have you tried adjusting that coordinate to move them up above the level of the floor?
  • giovithgiovith Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    Well how do I know what Y coordinate the floor is? I mean from the bottom of the world its a long way up. And I've managed to get one group to stay doing that, but when I tried the same random number on the second group they still ended up in the 'Abyss'. Same thing with a door I put in the area, maybe some parts of maps just cant be used for emplacements?
  • agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well how do I know what Y coordinate the floor is? I mean from the bottom of the world its a long way up. And I've managed to get one group to stay doing that, but when I tried the same random number on the second group they still ended up in the 'Abyss'. Same thing with a door I put in the area, maybe some parts of maps just cant be used for emplacements?

Type /locvec while standing where you want to put something.
    edited May 2013
    Thank you, very helpful. Any chance theres a place I can find more tips like that? Haven't found a user manual anywhere x_x
    edited May 2013
    Thank you, very helpful. Any chance theres a place I can find more tips like that? Haven't found a user manual anywhere x_x

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?116961-Community-Foundry-Manual
  • palelonginuspalelonginus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »

Multifloor depends n which room you use. Crypts are best imo for multi-floor rooms.

But is it possible to connect corridors to the upper level? For example, I have not managed to connect anything to the second floor of the large two-level crypt room.
    edited May 2013
    I'm personally just going to have it be a 2nd map. New problem, since the server came back up many of my objective required encounters aren't spawning at all. Anyone know whats wrong?
  • mazikenmaziken Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a question on how to go about "scripting" a story. Here's what I want to have happen:

I want an NPC to walk from room to room to room. As this NPC goes from one room to the next, I want that NPC to close the door to the room that NPC just came from. I want this NPC to be interact-able with by the player.

I'm thinking that I can have an NPC spawn at the start of a room, walk across it on a one-way patrol, and then de-spawn. This will trigger the door at the end of the room to close and will also trigger a new copy of the NPC to spawn in the next room and start a one-way patrol, repeating the process through each room. Is this possible? Is it possible to have the NPC stop the patrol if she is interacted with?
    edited May 2013
    How is 'Invert Visible Ifs' supposed to work? I can't manage to make it do anything besides making the item always invisible. So if object is normally visible when I have an item, should checking the invert make it so that the object is visible when I don't have the item?
  • leijatleijat Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry if this was asked already: Is there a way to "drop" a questitem from an encouter to your inventory? I'd like to make it like this:

- Find a specific door (the door is closed)
    - Find the keeper of the doorkey (and kill him)
    - Use the key to open the door
  • mrflippymrflippy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    leijat wrote: »
    Sorry if this was asked already: Is there a way to "drop" a questitem from an encouter to your inventory? I'd like to make it like this:

- Find a specific door (the door is closed)
    - Find the keeper of the doorkey (and kill him)
    - Use the key to open the door

As far as I know, there's no way to make encounters drop items. You could simulate this by putting an item on the floor somewhere that gives the key item on interaction and make it only appear when the "kill keeper" objective is complete.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey I was wondering if there was a way for dialogue to detect whether your male or female. I.e: Dialogue response is either A if male or B if female.

Edit: Also I was wondering if you can make a dialogue queue even if you're not talking to the dialogue npc. Say you walk up to a group of three people and you want all three to be able to initiate the dialogue with one of them. To further carry this question on, is it possible to auto jump dialogues? Say I'm talking to steve and I mention berry. The camera than jumps to berry and his dialogue options appear.
  • leijatleijat Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mrflippy wrote: »
    As far as I know, there's no way to make encounters drop items. You could simulate this by putting an item on the floor somewhere that gives the key item on interaction and make it only appear when the "kill keeper" objective is complete.

So, how am I able to make an object only visible after the objective is done? Because in my "Kill enemies"-Objective, there is no option to assign it to an object/item.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering if there was a way for dialogue to detect whether your male or female. I.e: Dialogue response is either A if male or B if female.

Edit: Also I was wondering if you can make a dialogue queue even if you're not talking to the dialogue npc. Say you walk up to a group of three people and you want all three to be able to initiate the dialogue with one of them. To further carry this question on, is it possible to auto jump dialogues? Say I'm talking to steve and I mention berry. The camera than jumps to berry and his dialogue options appear.
    Not possible and no, respectively. In fact I had to cut down a quest significantly because the second was not possible. You can not force players into conversations.
    edited May 2013
    leijat wrote: »
    So, how am I able to make an object only visible after the objective is done? Because in my "Kill enemies"-Objective, there is no option to assign it to an object/item.
    Objects should have the "Visibility" option, and you can select the objective complete option.
    edited May 2013
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Correct, there is no way to give an item to an encounter for it to drop (though official content does this all the time).
  • fsacfsac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is it possible to create a barrier which will block players, but not mobs?
    edited May 2013
    Can no one help me with the 'Invert Visible Ifs' thing?
  • sumosakesumosake Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question... is there a list of dialog tags anywhere? I understand [nickname] will display the player name but are there any others we can use... like the one to determine "class,sex or sir/madame" etc?

Thanks
    edited May 2013
    fsac wrote: »
    Is it possible to create a barrier which will block players, but not mobs?
    No.
    /10 characters required.
    edited May 2013
    sumosake wrote: »
    Question... is there a list of dialog tags anywhere? I understand [nickname] will display the player name but are there any others we can use... like the one to determine "class,sex or sir/madame" etc?

Thanks
    Doesn't seem to be.
  • ariusdecimusariusdecimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A couple of questions for my upcoming Foundry missions:

I'm making a companion/dialogue driven campaign with strong story, some puzzles and light combat. With that info out there, here are my questions:

1. Has anybody figured out a way to have friendly encounters that follow the player yield instead of dying?

2. Is there any way to have multiple behaviors, perhaps trigger based or something?

3. I have two NPC's following the character at certain parts of the mission. Is there any way I can have one of them hang back further or stand more off to the side so they're not literally running inside of each other? I also wanted to add optional dialogue, but since they're inside each other it's hard to choose the proper one and even if you do the other one is literally inside the person you're talking to (immersion breaking).

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
  • lynvinalynvina Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know this is kinda a dumb question, but the area I'm making I'd 'like' to have a merchant npc..
    Either a normal item vendor with kits and whatnot, and be able to sell to them.. (mostly I just want to have the NPC be a person who buys your goods.. Not specific items or anything, but junk etc..)
    I haven't seen anything about having a merchant NPC in the foundry editor, was wondering if anyone knew offhand.

I feel like I have a bunch of ideas, but unsure of how to implement them... But for now I'm just going to get the layout I'd like, then work on the quest/story later
    edited May 2013
    A couple of questions for my upcoming Foundry missions:

I'm making a companion/dialogue driven campaign with strong story, some puzzles and light combat. With that info out there, here are my questions:

1. Has anybody figured out a way to have friendly encounters that follow the player yield instead of dying?

2. Is there any way to have multiple behaviors, perhaps trigger based or something?

3. I have two NPC's following the character at certain parts of the mission. Is there any way I can have one of them hang back further or stand more off to the side so they're not literally running inside of each other? I also wanted to add optional dialogue, but since they're inside each other it's hard to choose the proper one and even if you do the other one is literally inside the person you're talking to (immersion breaking).

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
    1: Can't do that.
    2: Can't do that either.
    3: Nope.
    edited May 2013
    lynvina wrote: »
    I know this is kinda a dumb question, but the area I'm making I'd 'like' to have a merchant npc..
    Either a normal item vendor with kits and whatnot, and be able to sell to them.. (mostly I just want to have the NPC be a person who buys your goods.. Not specific items or anything, but junk etc..)

I haven't seen anything about having a merchant NPC in the foundry editor, was wondering if anyone knew offhand.
    You haven't seen it because you can't do it.
  • darkhawk978darkhawk978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    Okay so I created an NPC

I made that NPC follow me when i told it to
    I also made that NPC stop when I tell it to :)

But the real question........can I make that same NPC "re-follow" me when I tell it to?

I was able to set the NPC to follow immediately following a certain dialogue; I was able to set the NPC to stop following me, after a certain dialogue. But again I cant make that same NPC re follow me when I tell it to (back at beginning)

Its like once the "stop" portion has been met; there isnt any way of reactivating it?

And re summon a new NPC in its place; hmmm well maybe; now that I think about it. Problem I'm wondering is if an NPC starts at letter A and walks to letter D (going thru B,C) and I tell it to stop at letter D, can I pop a new NPC in its place at letter D? But what if a player doesnt really stop at letter D and instead stops at letter F; I could make the NPC pop up on a specific dialogue right? So it wouldnt really matter if the player stops at D,E,F or even J?

Thanks
  • ariusdecimusariusdecimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1: Can't do that.
    2: Can't do that either.
    3: Nope.

Thank you, good sir.

Now another question, I worked around it by making my NPC's appear to follow the player and then enter combat with him using the feign death behavior option. Just one problem: they're suddenly enemy encounters. I selected the standard guard group that has two brutes in it, when they were set to follow they were friendly, now that they're set to feign death their enemy. Any idea how to fix this?
    edited May 2013
    Thank you, good sir.

Now another question, I worked around it by making my NPC's appear to follow the player and then enter combat with him using the feign death behavior option. Just one problem: they're suddenly enemy encounters. I selected the standard guard group that has two brutes in it, when they were set to follow they were friendly, now that they're set to feign death their enemy. Any idea how to fix this?
    I do not know, sorry.
  • gigabullobgigabullob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't seem to get following to work at all for either npcs or friendly encounters. Tested in both editor and on live server... npcs and/or encounters that are set to follow just stand there.

EDIT - never mind. Been stumped on this for hours and finally figured it out just after posting. I was missing the obvious.
  • dkstoneriftdkstonerift Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lots of folks have said "Make an NPC that appears, but just costume a hostile" to solve the "I want a dialog option to turn an npc hostile."

Well that's fantastic.

But HOW do you do it? You can only costume NPCs, you can't costume encounters.
    NPCs aren't hostile.

So I can despawn my NPC, and spawn a hostile... but the hostile can't be reskinned.