test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Q&A] - The technical Q&A thread

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Foundry
Please post technical Q&A questions here. Please no opinions or philosphical debates - just technical aspect of Q&A for the benefit of community.

Thanks a lot.

I have added archived thread which I created in alpha and foundry forums here. The third thread was in normal forums (where I answered cryptically without breaking NDA) is not useful anymore imo.

I have tried to remove all the names of people who asked questions for privacy reasons. If I left someone's by mistake let me know by PM and I will remove it.

Thanks a lot.
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2013
    What's the deal with waypoints. Please define None, Points, and Area, explain how they affect the sparkle path guide please?
    I have tried some different settings, and I do not see how they affect the quests, I did however notice that sometimes I have the guide and sometimes I don't.

Example:
    Start Map Transition (can not be customized) >> Reach Point(Go to Moonstone Mask[exterior enterance]) (if I set the waypoint to points I get [1 TASK Internal Error]) >> Dialog(Speak to contact) >> Map Transition(go to sewer enterance) >> Reach Point (Find NPC [used place marker]) >> Dialog(speak to NPC) >> Interact with Object (Pick up item) >> Dialog(Return Items to NPC get more instructions) >> BLAH BLAH BLAH..
    During this there are no helper path sparkles in MOST of these parts.
    Q2. What is the best way to;
    a) have no helpers at all
    b) always have helpers on. (and by helper I mean the path sparkles)

Answer:-
    Waypoints are golden trail.
    None - golden trail will not go to objective.
    Points - golden trail will treat the objective as point (pin point the objective).
    Area - golden trail will take you to a big circle defined by the next objective or (AND connected) various objectives. If it is multipl .AND. simlutaneous objectives, the radii of circle can be changed by intellegent placing.

= Golden trail pathing is bugged for foundry atm. So do not rely on what you see.

2)
    T turn off golden trail path completely:-
    - Ask the players to turn off golden trail in the description.
    - Make a non-linear quest, like my quest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Love this thread! Keep the Q&A's.
    Question How would I set up triggers. aka i create a dungeon with cells and person walks in to certain point door opens then starts fighting and moves to another area and it triggers another door. Or say I want to have someone touch something and the floor disappears.

Thank you!

There are many types of triggers. A few popular ones can be summed as:-

- Component Complete
    Single most popular trigger. Means a lot with everything. e.g.
    Encounter - trigger means encounter killed(all monsters dead)
    Object - Interact, if dialog then talked comepleted the first time
    NPC - talked to the first time comepletely
    For more details there is a Foundry Q&A thread in alpha where I explained it in detail to alpha users. Have a look there.

- Component reached
    Marker reached (Marker from story tag)

- Quest objective in rogess/complete
    Self explainatory

- Dialog prompt reached
    A particular dialog prompt selected

:::
    You define the trigger itself when you assign it as an event.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Great thread! I have a simple one...

Is there a way to make stairs down to a lower level? A way to basically make a transition under a room? Or a way to fudge it?

There are prefabs which have stairs down.

Other way is to use teleport. It has stairs going down. Then place another room away and put second teleporter there showing Basement.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Is there a way to import custom costumes and maps from another quest? I've tried duplicating the quest I want the maps and costumes from, but I get an error after pressing the duplicate button.
    Map duplication is a known bug. It is the only way currently to copy that. Wait for the fix and keep fingers crossed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I am trying to ensure that the golden path shows up over rough terrain. However, I can't seem to get it to work. I am putting in place markers and adding them to storyline, but it is not working: the golden path is invisible on terrain that is not smooth.

How to I ensure the gold path is visible?

Golden path for foundry mission is work in progress. It will perhaps be the last thing to be fixed. It is not something we have control over.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    How to interconnect 2 maps for a quest i mean, one outdoor then indoor ? i put a cave entrance, but in map transition doesn't let me choose cave as a component for transition.
    Answe:-
    Might be a different or better way, but first make BOTH maps, add a marker (under special) somewhere in the cave map and then in the story tab click the +map button under the first map and select the second map. Now in the map transition between your two maps you tell the foundry how you want to exit from the first map.(in this case select the cave entrance). Now you will also see (think its default) the reach point objective(has the flag icon on the right) under Map Transition (next to the inside of cave map) click this and click on marker and then select the marker you put in the cave. Now put the spawn point for the cave anywhere you want. This works with other objectives as well.

Essentially before you can have a transition from one map to another, you need something for the player to DO in the second map, be it talk to someone, kill something, walk to a point on the map, etc. So you can put a creature(encounter) inside the cave and then make the objective kill enemies then select that encounter.
    How to interconnect 2 maps for a quest i mean, one outdoor then indoor ? i put a cave entrance, but in map transition doesn't let me choose cave as a component for transition.
    Check "Use Map" as False.
    Then it will allow you to choose an object. It must be an object which takes to elsewhere. And that object must not have been used before in anything.
    Question: How do you change the size of objects? For example, I want to use wine casks, but there aren't any in the map editor. So, I thought I'd just use beer casks and shrink them down. Although I see a ton of ways to place the cask and orient it and triggers, nothing stands out as changing its size. Thanks in advance for pointing out how to do this.
    You can't.

Foundry, as I have said before - is not a modding tool. Think of it as LEGOs.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've got a few questions for you.

First: The Crypt Room HUGE is two levels. I have placed it at Y: 0. The first floor is then easy... I can place halls and rooms at that Y: 0 level. But is there a way to place a second floor hallway? What Y is it at? I tried all numbers from 30 - 100 in increments of 5. And couldnt get a door to hook in. Is there a way to do this?

Second: Is there a way to have a group(s) of mobs spawn in when another group of mobs are killed off? Example... A portal has 4 mobs by it, after you kill them off, 4 more spawn from that portal and you have to fight them.

Third: Along the second questions lines... What if I want to create a Skirmish type map? Waves of enemies. A way to do it?

Thanks

If you could have provided with screenshot it would have been nice to understand.

But if I understand it correctly:-

First:-
    In the popup when you select object should be, "Y relative to" --> (dropdown) Zero
    You can change it to
    Y relative to ---> level 1

That way 0 will shift to its height. i.e. if level is at 40, the zero will mean 40.

Another way i to preview the map and use /locvec command. It will give you Y value. With the difference, you can calculate what is height difference of zero and level 1.

Another way is to use "verticle ruler" in details which shows the gap of 5 ft with height. You can use it to measure the height.
    ~~~~
    Yes. I have detailed the meathod here:-
    <<wll cme later when we pick up another thread>>

~~~~
    Yes. That one is also detailed. Death of all mobs in encounter is a trigger for component complete. You can have as many as you want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2) After talking to the contact, I'd like to have the player leave the building and appear outside its door in the Protector's Enclave, but I can't figure out how to do this. Any map transition there seems to send me back up to the Hall of Justice. Is it at all possible to do, or would I be better off transitioning directly to the overworld map when the player leaves the building? If it's possible to transition to a specific place in the Protector's Enclave, how do I do it?

A:- In live version, you will exit exactly where you entered if map is same (PE). Preview is not the same as live in these two points.
    1 - ... Is there a way to specify which guy will say which line or add multiple possible lines ?
    A:- None that I am aware of. Although, devs have said that the spamming nature of the mobs regarding chat will be looked into.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. How do I get into the Foundry chat channel?

A:- type /foundry {press enter}
    Viola! Problem solved!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a way to make a monster drop a quest item such as a key? I know I can trigger an item to appear on component complete (such as the monster killed), but I can't use that to place it where the mob died, since it moved during the fight.
    What you are able to do is the best you can do - i.e. one who kills the mob gets item in his inventory.

Thanks

A:-
    There is another way, but the above is better. Why? Because other way is to make an interactable to give you item and enable that interactable object when mob dies. However, you do not know the location where mob will die. So the above one is better.

This should be obvious, but it's not...at least not within the editor. I just want to section off part of a pre-made map to make a separate room. I'd like there to be a door to that other room. But, I can only find doors without walls and when I place a door in a wall, it cannot be opened to lead into the room behind it.

Once i can get this to work, I want to be able to lock the door so you either need a quest key or pick the lock. I can try playing around to get the answer to this part once I know how to make a working door though.
    A:-
    Premade maps cannot be connected to ordinary rooms. You will have to use a teleporter or you will have to use custom empty map

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Question: Is there a mechanism for adjusting the size/volume of a placeable object? I placed a Crypt Door in an outside map and it is freakin huge. I'd like to shrink the door down to human sized proportions.
    Answer:
    You cannot edit meshes or change the size of objects. You can rotate or translate them however.
    Think of foundry as Legos when constructing a map.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Here's one for you all: how do I make a guard encounter not die in combat? What I am trying to do is make NPCs turn into 'guards' and fight along the Player. The problem is, they get their rear ends handed to them by the mobs and they die.
    I know I can make 'downed' versions of them show up, but in this one case, I really want a certain NPC to fight, but never die. How do I do it?

Tough. I would see only option as confining the mob in one room, using combat nodes so that the probablity of the particular mob dying at one location is increased.

The I would make an NPC appear at that node when the mob is dead - he would be lying down but alive like Jimmy was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My question is more of a how many rather than a how to.

Does anyone know the limit on how many encounters can be in close proximity to one another in a single room? I want to do some appear / disappear tricks.

*edit* well as soon as I do find out I'll post here I think I may reach the limit. :P

Per map the budget limit is 50 I think.
    I do not think we have proximity limit yet, but it may be added later down the line. If its arena, I would suggest adding an NPC after 10 or so fights who spams this line - "HA! HA! HA! Good Fight! Go on to Next Fight!"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thanks for all the answers !

A new question : is it possible to group multiple actions into a single story objective ?
    An exemple would be the player is supposed to "Rescue the prisoners" as a quest objective, and on the map i have 5 PNJ prisoners that the player can interact with.

Is it possible to make the quest tracker show "X/5 prisoners are free" (like most "gathering missions") and complete the objective once the 5 guys are free ?

Or should i make 5 objectives ? (rescue prisoner 1 > rescue prisoner 2 > rescue prisoner 3, ...)

You can have it in any sequence you want. However if it is in story, it has to be *AND* logic.

For the one which you want specifically; you can drag the objectives to place them in parallel.

They will look like this:-

X_zps12773f69.jpg

Use dragging of boxes to achieve it

In current build, group 2 is not possible as shown here:-
    Eg2.jpg

It has to be one group only. If you want to achieve nested effect like shown above, (group in group) you need to achieve it using logic from popup using conditional statement.

Let me know if it helped or you want anything different to be done with it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I wish there was OR logic as an alternative. In fact, I'm going to post a feature request for this right now.
    OR can be done, but has to be done out of story board. Apart from that, situational stuff (prisoner 1 should be freed after prisoner 4 is freed, etc) can also be done via storyboard, but for more depth, it should be done out of storyboard.
    Question, I have a quest where the player has to talk to Bob the NPC on Map A. He requests you to find an object on Map B. After getting the object, I want the player to return to map A to complete more objectives there.

I feel like I'm missing something really simple here but I cant seem to make a map transition back from map B to map A.

Both maps are custom and not cryptic.

Create a new map with same base as previous.

Then you can make another map, after that you can select all objects in the previous map and use copy paste feature.

Be warned however that it may sometimes mess up the dialogs in new maps and patrols. So you need to check everything once again.
    Are you kidding me?!?
    I can't transition from an external (say a small village) to internal maps of several buildings, and transition back to the external map?!?
    That has got to be a bug.

Its WAI and I was told by a STO foundry maker that it was done so to discourage authors from making situations for too much shuttling of players from one map to other.

For now, copy paste should work using multi-select and in future, duplicate map should duplicate everything there.
    1. Is there a way to change the color of light in an area, specifically the color of fire that is emitted from torches and fire pits? Say I want everything to look normal until a certain room, then I want green flame from the torches in that specific room.
    - Use empty torches and place flame of the color you want on it from details.

2. Background music, can we pick it? Or at least have some generated for the quest?
    - Ambinent sound, from map details on the bar above the map in map tab which also contains dropdown to delect the particular map.

3. I placed some traps in a dungeon. I see the trap emitters before I get close to them. Not the triggers, just the emitters. Is this normal? And can rogues disarm our traps?
    - Rogue can disarm it, but if you don't want him to, you can place it under the ground (-0.1 altitude).
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Is there a work around for having to use a "openable door" twice when having an interact with object step?
    Also, can I turn off the sparkle on the openable door object? Now it feels like there is a unlock the door, then interact with it again to open it. I don't want to use any of the 2 doors that you find in the door object selector. They look out of place. I want to use the openable door from the library.

I would suggest using a forcefield instead - i.e. the invisible wall.

EDIT:
    Call it magical barrier.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What i'm doing is placing an openable door from the library of objects. This works right away. You can walk up to it and open it just fine. But it always has an interact sparkle.
    If I then add an objective to go use this door. I have to use it twice to open it.
    I need a door to block content visually. A magic barrier would be see through and too "magic" for this specific quest

To turn off the sparkle(apart from using FX and invisible wall), I use latch on the door as an object(which dissappears as soon as you use it). After you use latch, door starts sparkling for you to push it, when you push it, it opens. I also add sound of creaking when you are opening the latch and pushing the door.

EDIT:
    Latch is an object - same one which is used in exit doors of PE in Neverwinter game.

...Here's the scenario:

Players enter map and speak to NPC to pick up main quest to kill the boss of the area. Then I want the NPC to offer the players 3 optional quests. The first is to kill an optional NPC. The second is to rescue a 'mind controlled' companion. The third is to find a secret entrance to sealed off section of the map and retrieve an item.

A second question. I've been unable to make a multi-floor custom interior map. I read and see that it is possible, but the option I read on the forums earlier to align to a level is grayed out for me on the rooms. Is the option available and am I doing something wrong, or is it not quite implemented and I just need more patience?

- Make dialog choice with NPC with default diaog which is enabed when "quest complete" kil main quest boss.

- Then indialog NPC describes 3 quests in tree different reonses

- Place an encounter with patrol whichenables when you choose the quest from NPC.

- For mind controlled, same as above (use elite drow single person encounter) and place a node[ranged] where you want companion spawned. Then when the drow dies, make te companion spawn as NPC and follow. Follow is off when you reach back to main NPC.

- Use collapsed hallway to block the cave. Once you take thw quest (dialog prompt) spawn a fire barrel named globules(enabled at dialog prompt to get 3rd quest). When you use it, make it so that fire explosion has occured and the previous collapsed hallway is clear.

~~~~
    Multifloor depends n which room you use. Crypts are best imo for multi-floor rooms.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Important tip for foundry users

How do triggers work (not chrono trigger, the triggers which trigger events!)

The trigger triggers once only.

Thus if you have an object which has to be kept in a particular state, it can not be done by trigger. The trigger will trigger once and if the object is present on the field during that time, the trigger will change its state.

Hence when you arm traps, unlock doors, make things visible invisible, all trigger does is fire once and overwrite the state of the object if that object is enabled on the map.

Storyboard objectives are nothing but just another trigger for objects. Objects requiring multiple triggers can be fired with just one trigger if the object triggering the other trigger is not on the map. Thus triggers squarely depend on the objects which fire them.

~~~~
    Not of consequence anymore:-
    Your triggers are ability dependent. If a trigger has a condition it requires dungeoneering to fire, and you have not that skill, it will get clogged in your character. Then as soon as you get the ability, the trigger will be released.

As you cannot get abilities from kits anymore, above is no longer relevant.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm slowly getting the hang of the foundry. But, I want to place a dead body onto an altar. The body always falls through the altar. Is there a way to lock an object onto the top of another one, or even to find out the altitude of an object so I can place it above?
    On that note, is there any way to make it so players can inspect an object or body to get a description of it? Thanks guys.
    Make NPC, place it at altar. Shift coordinate of the NPC 9 feet more than height of altar. Pray to tymora everytime it loads.
    (My quest uses exactly what you are asking).
    But in live game, the woman usually ends up on top of altar. Don't make the NPC interactable, instead use altar for talks. If she falls under altar, your quest might become undo-able.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thanks for your help mate. I'll try that. Although, how do I make an object a talkable?
    You can use storyboard "Dialog with object" or if you select the object, the pop-up which pops out lets you talk to it.

However, the dialog which you put out of storyboard will be persistant dialog and cannot be turned off without turning off the object itself.
    I think I've done it right. I did it from the objectives, interact with object and then I was able to set interaction text. Is that the right way to do it? What I would like to be able to do is give the player options of how to proceed with it. For example examining the altar will provide a string of text, or they can choose to examine the body. Is it possible to do this?
    Call examine the altar as examine the body instead. If you use NPC as contact, it will be a problem if NPC falls down and is trapped in altar. In that case the PC will not be able to use the NPC.

Although most of the times NPC will spawn on the altar, sometimes she can get trapped inside.
    Hi,

I'm at work but now VERY excited as I've received my Foundry beta key.

So, without having actually seen it yet (in the flesh) apart from the available YouTube videos, how do I solve the following:

Situation - my adventure has grown large-enough to fill the playing-time and available resources (re: loading time), but the story is due to continue as part of a campaign. So I create an "end boss" and allow the player to collect their reward and leave the instance.

In part 2 (a separate Foundry adventure), do I need to recreate the same village and NPCs that I lovingly built in part 1? Hopefully, there's a way around this to avoid having to build the same all over again....

Thanks

You can try "Duplicate Quest" from the quest selection window. It does not always work but pray to tymora and try a few times.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Btw, you might not want to make villages with the Foundry. That gets a little more ambitious than what this toolset is built for, particularly if your plan is to have the player move in and out of buildings, which is impossible and is likely to remain that way. Stick to simpler, more linear and focused concepts. You won't be able to recreate epic Neverwinter Nights campaigns here, for the most part.
    One of the devs s trying to create a complete village - Connyberry Conundrum. So I would say devs thought that tool was made for that. However, you might have to sacrifice a few details if you build a big village - like too much grasses or too much trees.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yes and no, from working with this over the past few weeks you can tell that a lot more functionality will probably be added, just not in the form of "I want to recreate Waterdeep down to the last square foot." You really couldn't do that in NWN either, (though witches wake was pretty damned ambitious) but I am finding with a bit of creativity you can go beyond linear, well at least beyond Kill/loot. I really want to see where they take this in two years or so.
    Creating villages is possible, creating cities is not. This is because of budget limit. Devs however hae said that budget limits will be relooked into and currently are not what they desire. Hence in future a city might be possible.

A village is much easy to build than a city which needs too many objects. Ryvvik(evilhemmes) tried to create luskan but had to give up midway due to budget limits being too small for a city. He almost made a very beautiful map.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    monadplural - dev
    There is a new version of the submission behaviour on its way to the Foundry sometime soon.* This has a linger duration setting that allows you to control how long he hangs around before disappearing. I believe it goes from immediate to 30 seconds. This should help!
    ...Supposing this is a bug, I assume an update will fix this behavior and no action require.

If however, this is something that can be worked around, I have 2 questions.

1)After the NPC follows you, is there a way to change that NPC's contact dialog to be something different than the original (assuming it might be: make original NPC vanish, make new(same)npc appear and follow with alt. dialog)? I'd like to do it without loading in more NPCs that fill up my limit if possible.

For first one, the devs commented they are introducing a linger element to NPC which will make them linger for X seconds after you talk to them. believe it has something to do with that feature which has been implemented but ability to control the time will make in next update.

- Yes, there is a way with same NPC. The first box will remain the same always. So you make the first bo as a description of NPC "The ghost howls at you" and then responses:-- 1,2,3 etc. The responses to the first dialog can appear dissappear same as any object. Just use the trigger for after you have killed something. Then make two responses, AFTER response, BEFORE response. Make BEFORE response disappear after you trigger, while AFTER responsse appear with same trigger.
    Hope that helps.

Cheesy cheap-o workaround... PC begins with "Well met! I am..." and NPC cuts her off with "No need! I know who you are! EVeryone know who [nickname] is! Your superhuman feats were pretty useless at saving little Jimbo at the bridge, so your reputation precedes you!"

Just give your NPC a reason to already know your PC's name. Make anything up. Though I agree that variable tags in buttons would be awesome.

There are oter workarounds:-
    Response:- *You introduce Yourself*
    Response:- continue...
    dialog after previous response:-
    You: My name is [Nickname] defender of cyric, killer of Tyr and Helm
    (Name of NPC): Ah! Aren't you sweet and attentive!
    There are a few more meathods, it all depends on your narrating style for the quest. There can be more than one narrating styles.

Well, since this is Neverwinter, not everything will work like it did in STO. This goes in both directions, good and bad. The bad is that there is no longer any such thing as popup dialog. All dialogs must be triggered by the player. On the other hand, there's a tool coming soon that is called DM Helper (I think), which might or might not give similar and/or improved functionality. Hang in there! You've got plenty of other tools that will compensate for the lack of popups though, so don't worry too much about it.

BTW: I'm well aware of how STO's Foundry works, but thanks for the explanation anyway.

Yes, popup Dialogs will be replaced by something more awesoem- DM notes. Thats why you cant use them(though option to use them is there). DM notes have not yet been implemented but will be soon.
    This was done because in STO using costume for pop-up makes sense, but in DM NPC can't talk to you with a TV or something like that naturally.
    Can I change the hover text for my abort exit? Right now it just says "press F to exit", but I'd like it to say "Press F to abort mission if you are stuck" or something more descriptive.
    No, you can't
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Are there any tags or links we can put into quest text/dialog that could insert the Adventurer's name?
    You can use [nickname] in dialog, but it will not work in responses, just the dialog boxes.
    1.) How do you make the chest spawn only on completion of the quest? I can't seem to find a make visible option for the chest.
    2.) Is there a way to make NPC's attack each other?
    3.) Is there a trick to fine tune placing items? Only way I've been able to do it is to keep switching to free look "B" noting how far I'm off than guesstimating the correction. Rinse and repeat until I've got it where I want it.

Its a bad practice but you can use the boulders(craggy) to hide your chest (the rectangular ones).
    I dont think its there yet, there was but not anymore. But in near future it should be added again.
    Make sure snap to is not enabled. Next use the ruler objects. Also, 3D editing is quite finely tuned. It used to be so so hard to just place objects somewhere - now with 3D mode its a snap!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Okay - my first "how do I do this" question! -grins-

I've set a pile of scrolls to a table. I'd like to make it so the player can "read" the scrolls and have a short bit of information passed along - but I'd rather not have a NPC contact dialog box. Is there a way to pop-up the little journal text box like they do in house quests (Cryptic official quests)? Or - must I rely on this "Contact" dialog for now?

If that's the case, I'll probably just forego the idea (it's not really necessary for the quest, but helps give a little insight) - but I'll need to provide "clues" once the quest gets going and the journal text would work best in this case. (Dungeoneering style quest so some clues will be necessary).

Thanks.

You must rely on this "Contact" dialog for now until DM notes are implemented. You can use markers in storyoard to display a bit of objective (little bit of text) flash by on screen but it wont do in your case.

For clues, you can put dust FX around and use it. There will be a large area where player can press F and interact fixed no where in particular.
    e.g. if dust FX is 100 x 100 x 100 in dimentions, then anywhere in that cube you can walk and press F. Great for "your hear a sound" kind of situations.
    I'm fine with that. I hit the duplicate map button and nothing happens. Am I missing something? Is there another way to duplicate a map? Or is it just completely bugged? I read somewhere about people not getting all the objects to duplicate, but I can't seem to even get it to work.
    It soetimes does not works. Try creating the new same base of map and then opening the old map. Then zoom out and select everything. Then paste it on the new map. That should work. Otherwise zoom in and copy paste all objects again.

It worked for me, but a people said it does not work for them. So I would say pray to Tymora before trying!
    Hello !
    I have an other problem, I put a discussion on a NPC, but I would put this discussion on a quest's objective. So, Can I copy and paste all this dialog, or do I must write again all the texts ? xD
    Thank you (and sory for my bad english ^^').

Sadly no. If you copy paste objects dialog survives, but in your case it is about storyboard dialog Vs default dialog.

EDIT:-
    It can not be imported as structures are different (in storyboard, you have options for success failure while in default dialog it is not there). Hence capability to copy paste itself, does not exist in the lower engine of foundry.
    (hope you get what I mean).
    Similarly object dialog and NPC dialog cannot be interchanged being different on basic level.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I've investigated the monster and NPC customisation editor. Whilst there's lots of great tools available, I can't see any way of changing the colour of skin or clothing. Am I missing a trick here?

Many thanks

Yeah its incomplete. You can change clothing, but options are too few (shirt and pants). You cannot have shirtless/pantless NPC if youd ont start with base NPC like that (e.g. human female wizard).

Skin tone are not changable and you have to select a person from foundry who matches that.

Some of the skirtwear and cloaks(or whatever cloth dangling from waist is called) is bugged and if you change armor it will still show.

Good thing is, you just need to change one costume and the changes will apply to all on the map! So when they make it correctly, we can easily update the costumes.
    How to set up a bank for custom item trick

An NPC stands at the door. It will consume item A which you need for later map. When you give him item, after consuming the item he tells you "FUSDORAH"

Now after a few maps, or in other quest, you come across a bank the NPC was employed which asks you the password.
    Dialog with object.
    Dialog box 1:- First letter?
    1.A
    2.B
    3.C
    4.D
    5.E
    6.F

All other fail objective, F gets you to dialog box 2. Dialog box 2 asks:-
    Second leetre?
    1.A
    2.B
    3.C
    4.D
    5.E
    6.U

All other fail except for ... rinse repeat until the end

SDORA

Then lastly you press H.

This will be as strong as any password you use for windows as it will have many many options.

With FUSDORAH, you get the item back which you kept in the bank with the NPC who said FUSDORAH!
  • Options
    demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Quick question, if I put a npc on a patrol path and give him a conversation, will he stop and talk to you when you encounter him wandering in the woods or will he keep on walking and ignore you?
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ...And now for a completely unrelated question: "****ing mimics, how do they work?" All I can make my mimic do is sit there look all sparkly... I can't find the paralyzing glue or adventurer-eating options. Or are they just supposed to be normal interactables?
    They are implementing chests for the foundry soon. I am sure that is when they will add mimic as its own encounter too.
    I tried to add mimic as an encounter with it being a costume - and I used the option that it sleeps until you get close. But the red bar kind of gives it away.

So instead I used a chest and made it interactable (like any other object) and as you use it it gets replaced by mimic. It was hilarious but to be honest, still not satisfactory.
    How do you best start a quest from a Cryptic NPC?

A quest always starts with a Map transition, so I choose a Cryptic Map and need to chose Waypoints None; point create Error. After this I chose the Marker (Like Hall of justice, Reflection pool") but then you have to run to this spot before it go to the NPC I have chosen?

Dialog comes after this Map Transition, so how do I start a quest by the Cryptic NPC?

My Story map looks like this:
    Map Transition (Cryptic Map)
    |
    Objective (WP on Cryptic World map)
    |
    Dialog (Contact on Cryptic Map)

The Problem is it does not start the quest at the Contact, but at the map and you need to run to the Marker, before you can talk to the NPC? I cannot choose Whole Map in Objective, only a marker from a WP.

What am I doing wrong?

The quest will start from the place the player picks it up. It can be anywhere.

For testing purpose, it always starts from Protector's enclave. Once the Player picks up your quest from tavern or Catalog, the marker will take him/her to the NPC you have chosen.

Play it in alpha to have a clearer idea instead of preview map.

~~~~

So if you have an NPC in Blacklake district, in preview map they will throw you in PE. But in real game, you will keep standing where you are. So if you pick u0p the quest in Blacklake district, you will be shown the arrow to go meet the NPC.

Hope this clears it up
    Okay, I was told long ago the only stupid question is the one not asked, so here we go:

I know the STO Foundry like the back of my hand. The NWO Foundry is definitely better, albeit far more limited for the time being. However I've never seen the Abort/Exit object before: When creating a quest and dropping a map (template or blank) - one of the objects created is the "Abort/Exit" - which is supposed to be assigned to a map object. Fair enough! So these questions aren't as much as a "how do I" as it is more a clarification as "how is this designed or intended to be used?" kind of thing.

My initial assumption: it is not required for the PC to exit the quest instance on completion of the quest, but rather as a "bonus" item that allows the player to "give-up and abort" the quest for whatever reason (before completing it).

Here are my questions:

1) Is this supposed to be the final exit once quest is complete? Example: sewer, quest complete, big loot chest gives shiny. At this point player would head to the sparkly exit and return to Official Social Zone. The "sparkly exit" being the Abort/Exit object (like an invisible wall or something).

2) What about the "entrance" area? Most quests I see have a "way out" at the implied entrance area; example: the entrance doorway is sparkly so the player who changes their mind can "exit" (abort) the quest. Which begs the question about quest completion and exit path.

3) Can the Abort/Exit "tool" be duplicated or multiple copies made? So I could have three for example (my scenario below).

Scenario: in my puzzle the player will trip a "trap" that causes a cave-in, blocking the "entrance" they came into and must find a way out through the other end. I have created an Abort/Exit object and I describe in text as "an enchanted [object]" - which allows them to abort the quest (if they can't find the hidden doorway into the next room). However, if it's needed at the end of the quest and I can't make another one... you see my dilemma.

Any insight into how this object is *intended* to be used would be really helpful. I'd like a way to allow the PC to "abort" the quest, but they are "trapped" in the first room with no apparent exit (hidden door, drop dead easy to find, BTW) - but I must also set an exit point at the end of the maze.

Thanks for any detailed insight anyone can give!

Abort/exit is emergency exit. Final exit is made from the map transition on the soryboard.

Abort/exit (emergency exit) should be the entrance area. When you start with the map, spawn point and abort/exit are toghether. You can separate them though.

Only one emergency exit per map is possible. You can use teleporters to transfer you though. Cover them with walls which are removed once you want players to use them.
    Hey folks,

I'll admit I haven't been able to keep up with every post in this thread, so apologies if these have been asked and answered already.

Does the "Reach Point" objective work, or is it currently bugged? I've tried several different times in different maps, and I can never get it to trigger once I play through to test it. I'm simply creating a "Place Marker" on the map, adding a "Reach Point" objective in the Story, giving it quest text, choosing that point, and leaving the Waypoint value as "Area." Nothing.

Also kind of funny thing I noticed, if you set an NPC to the "Dead Body" behavior and then have a dialogue with him, he jumps up to talk to you, then plops back down. I wanted to do a sort of "investigate body" dialogue (and have him stay dead). If I use the "Inspect" or "Interact" objectives, the dead NPC isn't an option. Any tips on how to pull this off?

Lastly, I want to make a pack of aggressive wolves. There are some nice wolf NPCs that would work perfectly, but there's no way to make them aggressive. Someone in another thread recommended using a pack of wolves found in one of the werewolf encounters, and that works okay, except that their "type" says "werewolf" in-game. Is there a way for me to make angry rabid wolves that attack on sight without having to use a "werewolf" encounter?

Thanks in advance. I'm loving what I'm seeing from the Foundry so far, it does have a bit of a learning curve though.

- It works. You are probably not changing the radius of the marker. The default radius is zero. Select the marker and change it to something useful such as 10, 20 etc. from the pop-up.

- It i working as intended. This was a question I asked before when I was making a quest (they had this option back in september but removed it in January). If you have to talk, select animation from dialog box and set it to "lying down". The NPC will still jump up for a moment though. Put an object near the body and use that object instead.

- Make an encounter of werewolves and then change the costume to that wolf. The bug is that you cannot change name, but it should be resolved soon. Just zoom out and select the encounter to change the name of group. Once the bug is squashed, the name will change in the game.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... I would like a NPC on a balcony to interact with the PC as soon as they walk into the Marker Area to start a chain of events.
    One way to do this is to use a large area FX. If you do it, you will not get "sparkles". Also as the NPC walks to the large area "Press F to talk" option will appear near his curser. It is over a big area too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I changed every storyboard entry to "POINTS" and I still don't get a quest trail. Any other suggestions at what I could be missing?

Anyone else using a pre-made cave/mine and getting a quest trail to work?

When you loose a trail part-way in the map - that has to do with pathing issues on the map which is a development related bug and something foundry authors can do nothing about. Its a known issue.

For my quest, a lot of time golden path used to disappear when going in basement. Insuch cases, use the "BUG" tool in the foundry to report it instead so devs have more statics on which places the trail is disappearing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FInally getting around to my Blacklake submission and had a question.

I know I can choose blacklake as a cryptic map. When I preview it however, it is unpopulated (cant seem to populate it either). I know the Protectors Enclave populates automatically.

So.. Is it possible to have the cryptic Blacklake district, in its current form, but able to be edited?

Or do I have to add the blacklake map, and do everything as I want it?

- You cannot autopopulate Outside maps yet.
    - The detailed maps are pre-baked, i.e. the objects are merged to the terrain itself. So if you want to interact with barrel or other object on a prebaked map, you have to put invisible wall over it to interact with invisible wall instead.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Quick question, if I put a npc on a patrol path and give him a conversation, will he stop and talk to you when you encounter him wandering in the woods or will he keep on walking and ignore you?
    He will keep on walking. The window will popup just for a second, but will go away as he will not stop.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Edit: Also note, you can not make the item drop where you kill the off the encounter, so place the object someplace near where the encounter would happen.
    Try to place a combat node near the item to try to make sure the monster drops the item there.
    Two more questions:
    1) I have a npc appear when you get to a certain spot. I want you to follow him and see which building he enters. I have him walk to the door, but how can I make him disappear? I can make him disappear when the player finishes something (reach mark, finish objective, etc) but can I make him disappear when he gets to a spot, regardless of what the player does?

2) What can I do with someone after Fight to Submission? I see you can assign a random chat bubble phrase, but can you have a dialog? Can you interact with a submissive encounter enemy? I can't really despawn it/spawn a npc, because they wouldn't necessarily be in the same place.

No, because NPC can not fire a trigger. But you an make him walk to volumetric fog (or what was it called, skyfade?) and NPC will become "invisible" as it walks into darkness (or whatever color it is).

You cannot have a dialog but you can make an object appear using trigger component complete on the encounter (as a whole). This object can be big enough to cover an entire area like skyfade. You can talk to object then.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Why substitute the NPC when he is below 10% health? He should be in a submitted/non-enemy state, couldn't you just use that NPC directly for dialog?? That way it shouldn't matter where they submitted - haven't tried it myself, but I was assuming that's how it worked.
    You cant talk to an encounter.
    It will do submission animation and chat bubble.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yes, this. Only alternative is to Appear a contact object (like an invisible) that player can chat with, but the problem is that you don't know where the submitted encounter will be standing after the fight. This is why I use player diversion while I disappear submitted then appear NPC. When player returns attention to NPC - even if NPC is in a slightly different (but very noticeably different) location, they did not see the "pop from here to there" - so in their mind the NPC just simply moved over there.

Using stage play tricks is your best ammunition in Foundry for these kind of techniques where you want to build a seamless action with one NPC character, but must do a lot of bait-and-switch mechanically-speaking.

You can quickly use fade to black. The on the same fade to black you can put interaction with "This component complete" on dissappear. The medium tme scale or short will determine the time for which it will be dark.

While it is undergoing, you can replace NPC.

There are a few other tricks, but this one is fine imo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    mustymusty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice work Gillrmn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Website Dedicated to Foundry Tutorials: www.NWUGC.com Twitter: @NWUGC
    Check out my Foundry Adventures and don't forget to Rate them!

Gold or Bones!!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Doing multiple levels can become a very complex issue, as you are suddenly introducing a new dimension and have to put all the stuff at the proper altittude. What i do, is drop in a dozen red bottles, and put them in a row spaced out so i can see them seperately. then i change the altitude of them (Y setting) in a pattern going up by fives. The first bottle is (Y)0, the second is 5, the third is 10, etc. But now with the 3D editor, it has become a lot more simple to put something in the right spot. I still toss the bottles in out of habit, which gives me placeholders i can easily move around. This is much easier that trying to work with some objects, as the view you need isnt always possible with larger objects. The bottles are also especially helpful when trying to put some effects in (such as lava bubbles, which dont bubble while you are editing them), and getting them to the right spot. The only issue i have had with the 3D editor is if i try to finish 3d editing while something is in rotate mode, that tends to blow it up.
    You can also used an object called ruler which has markings every five feet. Once done, remove it.(delete)

Search for "Ruler" in details tab.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... It would be really awesome if we could pick a spot, while in 3d mode, and then go back to the foundry editor and find out where that is.
    Use blue orb, move it at the location you want, go back to 3d editor, select the orb and from the popup note the three coordinates. After that note the reference (Y relative to).
    Hey folks,

Two quick questions:

1) Is there a way to do a "one way" teleporter? I tried using the teleporter items and was hoping I could just make the "destination" point invisible, but there's no option to do so. I messed with the up-down coordinates a bit, but that results in the player getting stuck in the ceiling or falling through the floor. Not good.

I use one way teleport in outside map by placing the second teleport at a high height so that player can't jump to it. Never tried it in indoor - but you can use crypt map with high ceiling (small hallway four side) and join it to your room.
    Okay so I restarted the client like 4 more times, tried going into different modes, and I could NOT get the dialogue I needed to show up. I finally removed the two other dialogues from the map so the one I want to mess with was the only one available. Which works for now guess, though totally inconvenient...

So now my next question.. When you have multiple dialogues, I guess it's using "AND" logic, rather than "OR" ? Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a wounded guard who you can let die or heal. If you let him die, I want the speaking NPC to vanish and a dead body version to appear. If you heal him, I want the talking version to vanish and a patrolling version to appear and walk out of the room. Setting both the "die" and "live" dialogues under the "Disappear When" options isn't working. I expect an OR but it looks to be an AND.

Thoughts or suggestions? Much thanks!

ANSWER:-
    All default logic of cryptic's foundry is AND. Make your character use objects like a bag named healing kit kept nearby and try using something like that instead. You can't have or in series for same object to make it disappear. You need to change the story a bit (pick healing kit then using healing kit makes him disappear irrespective.

Or use objectives(story tab) in conjugation with your appear/disappear. That should work.
    Guys i am looking for fireworks-style FX. Maybe you can help me with this?
    The demonic summon/demonic fire burst - is a good fire explosion FX.

For fireworks ... probably the brimstones falling far away?
  • Options
    krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    By the way, I used a NPC on patrol and I was able to talk to him. They do stop and talk to you. I have several NPC that do this.

If you are not close enough to the NPC you might not be able to talk because when you start talking to the NPC they still take like one step then stop. I noticed a few times when I wasnt close that the dialog window would cancel when they made that one or two steps.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    3 objects. Using an object toggles its appearance, say black turns white, white turns black. When these 3 objects are toggled to correct combination, an event is triggered.
    There is no such thing as changing appearence. You have to superimpose the objcts over each other, make one dissappear and another one appear.

That said, there are some FX objects which are use once. i.e. As soon as you trigger "appear" it will play the FX for a few seconds (depending on how log it is) and then disappear.

e.g.
    There is a FX which summons circle, so you put static object "circle" and then you superimpose "FX - summon" on it. Then put trigger on FX to appear when triggered. As soon as you trigger, the fire will sprout out in the form of circle and disappear over the static circle you placed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I want a combination lock.

Yes, I want to know how! :)

Answer:
    Possible, but only as a part of story objective. Do you want to know how? :p

You use "dialog with object" but only possible when part of Story (i.e. an objective).

If your code is 4567

"Enter First Code" Then put choices 1, 2, 3,etc as options

Then put all to failure except 4. Then the 4 has further dialog, "Enter second code" ...repeat putting all else except 5 to failure.

Then when you are at last dialog, put 7 as "Success"

Next is most important part - you change all the color of all the options to orange.

Thats it!

Use it as a trigger to unlock object. Players may accidently unlock it (or if they know the code from somewhere else, but there will be many many combinations [10C4 i think?]
    Are you able to place said item on a mob?
    No you can't.
    Secret doors:-

Many ways. Creativity. Placing in darkness. Placing objects like wall which get removed on triggers. Placing triggers which are invisible for a particular skill only to open the walls, etc.
    Universal technique:-

Appear when:- Hidden->Visible; Lock->Unlock; Trap Unarmed->Trap armed; .... etc
    Disappear when:- Opposite

For NPC, Object, Encounters, Enviornment, FX, Sounds(non ambient only), Doors etc. Mostly anything you can think of.

Things may act differently when used in Objectives(i.e. Storyline) Vs when they are in Open Map.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I wish you could go into the 3D mode and so some minor adjustments, I took 2 hours last night tring to get stiens on my table some reason was having a issue because the map was a sewer I guess. I ended up just using 3 statues. I put walls infront of doors and you interact with the statues and the walls disseapper.

Sooo after all that my question is?
    Are there levers, or switches for doors? I couldn't find any. If not is there a way to interact with a statue, cup, or book that would auto open a door. I put couple caged ogres in hidden doorways, and if you pick wrong door it opens up and Ohhhh whats that a mighty huge trap! Hmmm I guess I could just add doors, and delete the statues.. it just seems funner messing with a statue and the wall vanishes and out pops an ogre lol.

Remember to unflag the snap to grid option for height. Use the objects called rulers which for whose inclusion we made a lot of noise. they should solve the problem of height. It is much better than ot was before, even better than it is for STO.

Lever will be included soon. For now, put a book in bookcase - old fashion way to open the door.
    Yeah ofcourse - I do it all the time in my quests. How else do I make it non-linear? Player also animates when interacting with objects. Sorry I can't how screenies on 3G internet speed, if I find a spare cable at work sometime when no one is looking, I will try to load up and see if I can pull a screenshot if I can.
    ...I was tring to figure out what encounters I could use to best fit my quest. Or a way to turn Drow, or Zombie off above my encounters heads.

Second. End leg of my quest you use advice from a NPC to take the next three rights, but you have the little cheat telling you where to go so this kind of defeats my little maze. Any way to make the glowing path dissapear for this part of quest? if not I will put an OOC in descriptions descriping you might want to turn the path thingy off(in different wording of course).

You can turn encounters(and pretty much everything) by using Hidden->Visible and Visible->Hidden switches and show for <skill>.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I know in the dungeon items (not the tile sets but the ones that have all the regular items like barrels and such) there is a set of walls called "dungeon maze wall" or something similar that can be used as a secret door of sorts. You can, in theory (haven't done this yet but will test it next session) place the unbroken wall section over a door way and have a usable item to make the maze wall disappear revealing the door way.
    Explore all the items and play around with possible ways to use them. Be creative!

You are right about last two words - very right.

Mazes are not premade - you have to be creative with them. It is **** hard work. One of the guys use that cloth hanging on wood to hide a hole. That was something amazing which someone had done in his quest before me and something I was jealous of. That person earned my respect for such ingenuity.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A few things from my experiences that I can help with:

There are no children NPCs in the tool set yet.

I create children by using halflings and shrinking their height - or using dwarves and then decreasing their girth.
    I too would like to know how to do the secret door thing. Would be nice if they were like traps, be more detectable by Fighters (dungeoneering) and Rogues (theivery) but accessible by all classes naturally, just they would have to be closer to the actual door to trigger it's activation sparkly. Would seriously promote some exploration of the UGC and give the creators some nice hidden areas/alternative paths to play with.
    You can make them visible based on skill - make the book visible only to the person with skill. So the person with specific skill only can use the book. Once the book is used, the door is revealed.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Right that's what I thought, but on the maps I'm trying you can't select the doors, which makes for problems, yes I suppose you could use a transport object but....
    Hey!

Are you using premade interior maps?

Choosing any premade object attached to map is not possible as they are pre-rendered along with mesh. If it is your first interior map, I would advise using custom empty interior map.

Exterior maps on other hand, are useful which are per-rendered as they allow you to put more objects.

There is a way to add a door in premade interior, but it depends from map to map and is not always satisfactory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ok so I couldn't find any way to do it with the Foundry but is it possible to make for example 1 map where the quest starts, and then depending on which item (key etc) the player has they can go to 1 of 3 possible maps? It seems like the player has to go to each map in order with no way to skip a map.

Along a similar line, when making Quest objectives for the Storyline is there a way to have it branch the Storyline without having to complete every option for example...

2 Npc's to talk to when they begin, if they Talk to NPC 1 they need to go and fight some bandits to continue to the next step in that misson of locating their stolen goods. Versus if they talk to NPC 2 he needs them to go locate a herb in order to heal a wound he suffered, and then he leads them to the next part of his Storyline...

Currently I can have the multiple paths, but the player will have to complete both to get his quest rewards, as opposed to being able to complete only 1 of the 2 possible objectives.

AAnswer:-
    You can keep the maps out of campaign. The ask the player to take a job from job board (while telling them out of character to open the catalog and choose "XX is YY" quest or "YY is ZZ" quest depending on choices). Once the player has chosen, make sure the exit is world map in your quest and the quest player has chosen has world map as first transition.

Make the last objective so that it says to player to visit "The location of the map in XX is YY or YY is ZZ quest" {you can have same name for the map in two quests - like abandoned house, headquaters etc.}. Player then just needs to choose once using his catalog and then leave the map to click on your icon and its done!

~~~~\
    You cannot use storyboard for nonlinear purposes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Why do some foundry missions "Qualifies" while others do not?
    "This quest qualifies for standard foundry rewards."
    "This quest does not qualify for standard foundry rewards."

is there any reason why some do and some don't? and what are these reasons?

the average quest time.

Yeah i know - a very bad and discriminatory decision, especially for nonlinear quests.

But think of this decision as a best of the worst lot of decisions possible.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I am at a loss on how to transition from an exterior map to an interior map that is not part of the main quest line. I have a medium sized village with about 12 buildings and I would like the player to be able to enter any building that has a door. How would I go about doing this? Do I need to create a map for every building or could I create one interior map with all the building interior spread throughout using multiple spawn points to access each interior? I am a bit confused on what to do. I figured I would ask here first before I started creating something that was not possible. Any advice is welcomed.

Sorry not posible. Unless you create all the buildings on single map (i.e. make exterior map and use floor, walls and roof to construct a building.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ok the problem I was having was i am trying to do it without it being part of the required Objectives for the Quest. I have 3 areas to my Quest all guarded by locked entrances that require a different item to get past. So I guess I'll just keep using the twin doors thing to get it to work the way I want. Good to know though if I ever want to make a basic locked door I can do it through the Storyline.

On a side note, I noticed my poor Foundry test guy is now naked and can't learn any skills or anything, happened after the last patches. It's going to make it hard to test the combat on my Quest when he can't attack anything, even getting him some gear from The Enclave I can't train his skill points so he can actually do anything. I still have the DM kill power but that's not helpful in seeing how hard or easy a fight is lol. Anyway to fix this?

For the above though the twin doors does work I was just seeing if there was a simpler way to do it, this way they can't see the door they can open until they complete the talk requirement with the original door. I'm having a lot of fun building this quest but it takes awhile. I may publish the first map when I finish it just so people can check it out and give me a heads up what they think. Or I may wait until I finish the other maps, but they take a long time building from scratch lol.

EDIT -- Also because of the multi paths I can't actually use the Quest Objectives to tell the player where to go and what to do next, so I guess the "talking" doors works better in a way because it also gives some direction to the player.
    Hmm... The trouble with storyboard is - that is the only official way to use an item to open the door, like a key. However, when you use storyboard, the door opens up before the objective is in rogress. So if you open the door before the objective to open door starts, you will botch it up. So the best way is to use wall (invisibl) when using storyboard.

Out of storyboard, it is very difficult to use an item to open the door. Collision of objects which require item is zero and only visibility depends on item. Out of storyboard, it is best to make a lever. Have that lever appear when you have item. Make that lever interactable. Then when you component complete the lever, unlock the door.

Hope this helps.

For character, delete the character and create a new one. Or use respec.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    .. Like a way for example during the conversation to tell it to simply open itself when they get to that point in the conversation?
    Why don't you use invisible wall in front of it. Invisible wall have full object and camera collusion. Make it so that when the trigger is complete, the wall dissappears and the door can be opened.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ok, now this thread is open for questions. Please post any technical questions you have. You can also post a question about "How to do this".

For example, if you have a scenario, how can you implement in foundry.

Please keep debates, opinions and discussion out of here so that the thread is more useful for those who are looking for a solution, and want technical facts instead of reading opinions.

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    He will keep on walking. The window will popup just for a second, but will go away as he will not stop.
    krubar wrote: »
    By the way, I used a NPC on patrol and I was able to talk to him. They do stop and talk to you. I have several NPC that do this.

If you are not close enough to the NPC you might not be able to talk because when you start talking to the NPC they still take like one step then stop. I noticed a few times when I wasnt close that the dialog window would cancel when they made that one or two steps.

Threads combined for first question's answer.
  • Options
    darkhawk978darkhawk978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 97
    edited April 2013
    Read a lot of Q/A's and am loving this thread. Thank you! Question: (as I continue to scrounge around for a way to do this). Is there a way I can make an NPC have a small chat with me, and as soon as I end the chat; the NPC turns Hostile and (of course) attacks me?
  • Options
    visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Apparently the only way to do that is to have the NPC set to disappear when your dialogue ends, Then have an Encounter take his place. so make your NPC "with conversation tree" make an Encounter of 1 and place it on the exact same spot as the NPC "give it the costume and name etc.. of your NPC" have it appear when Objective starts.

I think that's the only way.
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yup, and it's a way that works surprisingly well. I've used it myself.
  • Options
    agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Okay, I've got one. I have a teleporter I don't want the player to be able to access until they interact with an NPC who then turns hostile and attacks. Any ideas on preventing the player from just walking right past the NPC without talking to them (and this, not fighting them) and using the teleporter? I've considered using invisible walls around the teleporter, but it makes the room seem pretty cut off. And covering the teleporter with a bigass object that doesn't disappear until the encounter is killed will look weird.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Invisible walls are your best option. Currently there is no way to activate or deactivate a teleporter that I know of.
  • Options
    agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    Invisible walls are your best option. Currently there is no way to activate or deactivate a teleporter that I know of.

Yeah, that's the problem. Teleporters need some more properties exposed! Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    endaline91endaline91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Guess I'll repost my question in this thread as it seems more appropriate for my issue.

I've mostly managed the stuff I have tried so far, just got the game a few days ago, and there is probably a really easy solution to my issue that is just some button I have missed, but whenever I try to create a Inspect Object Objective it will instantly complete itself the second I try the story out.

I've tried with and without an item, different containers as objects, etc. Would love any help I can get and I'll gladly explain better if it is needed.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    endaline91 wrote: »
    Guess I'll repost my question in this thread as it seems more appropriate for my issue.

I've mostly managed the stuff I have tried so far, just got the game a few days ago, and there is probably a really easy solution to my issue that is just some button I have missed, but whenever I try to create a Inspect Object Objective it will instantly complete itself the second I try the story out.

I've tried with and without an item, different containers as objects, etc. Would love any help I can get and I'll gladly explain better if it is needed.

Are you using the "Play from here" button? Testing it that way will often complete objectives that they consider coming ahead of "here", wherever that may be. Make sure you play the quest from the very beginning.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Perhaps if you explained in a bit more detail what it is you're trying to do? It works for the rest of us, so you are probably doing something wrong. The problem is that it's impossible to say what it is with this limited amount of information.
  • Options
    endaline91endaline91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Are you using the "Play from here" button? Testing it that way will often complete objectives that they consider coming ahead of "here", wherever that may be. Make sure you play the quest from the very beginning.
    I've tried both play from here and starting from the beginning, both yield the same result. The only way I have so far managed to not have the Quest instantly complete is if I don't give it an object to inspect (Like a barrel).

tilt42 wrote: »
    Perhaps if you explained in a bit more detail what it is you're trying to do? It works for the rest of us, so you are probably doing something wrong. The problem is that it's impossible to say what it is with this limited amount of information.
    I'm definitely doing something wrong, I have no doubt about that. I just find it strange that everything else seems to work completely fine except that one option for me, that's why I figure that I am missing something really obvious.

Just to make a basic step by step guide of what I am doing: New quest > Story > + Map (Neverwinter Adventure zone) > Then I insert Inspect Object > Give it a name and select a random barrel as the object > Advanced Dialogue Editor > Give it two Dialogue options one that fails it and one that completes it > Play from beginning of story > Quest instantly completes and I am told to go find the reward chest.

Alternatively I do the same thing and add an item to the barrel that you are supposed to pick up, but it changes nothing. I have tried putting things in different orders and changing the object from a barrel to a crate, but no matter what I do it always just instantly completes the quest the second I try to play the mission.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    This might be because you're trying to have the interaction happen in an adventure zone. Try to avoid doing that. I've heard that they don't work all that well.
  • Options
    donritchiedonritchie Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How do you access the Foundry? I'm only interested in the Toolset. I don't want to play WoW.

And, as an aside, when can I post threads?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You can access the Foundry once you reach level 15 in the game. You will receive both an in-game and real-life mail telling you how it works at that point.