What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Q&A] - The technical Q&A thread

1235»

Comments

• artchichartchich Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello,

I'm new here and it's my first post (and sorry for my english, i'm not a native speaker)

I have some troubles with encounter patrols :
    I've made an infiltration foundry, where player is supposed to avoid fighting and sneek in to assassinate a boss (Every kill make an encounter pop near the boss).
    The foundry is working fine in test-mode but when i publish foundry, most of the patrol are broken and mobs stay where they are (only 2 patrols out of 10 are working actually). This is pretty annoying since the whole foundry is based on this mechanism.
    I tryed everything, change behaviour, delete encounter, put only 2 point of patrol etc... I might have published my foundry 10 times now and it still doesn't work in published mode while working fine in test mode...

Anybody got this pbm before ? any known issues i'm not aware of ?
  • mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    azaris1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, but I searched diffculty slider and did not see any thread that answers that question. Would you mind linking the thread you are referring too.

Second, I want to spawn mobs (easy) and mobs (hard) depending on the dialogue choice that asks the player which difficulty they want. And I want the mobs to be invisible until player makes it to point A. I tried just about every combination of visible when and disapper when in their popup but none work.
    rosehope wrote: »
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. For example, select difficulty "easy" spawns only non-elite encounters, and select difficulty "hard" spawns only elite encounters.

I can't find the thread either, sorry. Have you played Zovya's Assassin Chronicles? That one has difficulty sliders. It's also been featured on Tsumroro's YouTube play-throughs, so you can find it there (that's a spoiler though, if you haven't played it).

Spawning different encounters based on dialogue options is pretty simple. I assume that's not the part you're having trouble with. But if so, check out the DM's Studio (NW-DHZ5DAV4R), there's an example in there in the Encounter wing.

I don't think you can spawn invisible mobs. But there are work-arounds. You could spawn in mobs using the Special - AI Ambush node, and add in bushes or something for the mobs to hide in. You could have the mobs patrol (that's hard to time though). You could have the mobs play-dead, so they won't attack unless the players get close (20') I think.

How about something like this:

- PCs talk to NPC.
    > Response 1 spawns a single easy mob (or item) A
    > Response 2 spawns a single easy mob (or item) B

- PCs kill A (or B)
    > another encounter is set to spawn when the mob is killed (or item is interacted with)
    > killing/using A spawns an easy encounter (on top of the players)
    > killing/using B spawns a hard encounter (on top of the players)
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • azaris#6648 azaris Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks mate for the info. Will try to sort it out later.
  • hawthornberryhawthornberry Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have two NPCs who are both set to start following you after a certain dialogue prompt. This works fine except for one thing: they both follow so closely that they "overlap" so that one of them ends up hidden inside the other. Is there any way around this other than rewriting the whole story to not use two NPCs?
  • hawthornberryhawthornberry Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Bump on my question from last week. I've seen other Foundry quests where you have multiple characters following you, so it must be possible, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. Is it maybe some trick where you have both an NPC version and an Encounter version and you somehow make them swap out for one another in between the following times and the interacting times (and if so, how can you make them appear and disappear so often, or do you just have lots of copies)? I've been poring over manuals and tip lists on web pages and I haven't found anything that seems to give me an idea of where to start. Thanks for anyone who can give me a direction here.
  • rj8600rj8600 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i have two problem. i cant access to the foundry map and it always appear server disconnect. my character is level to 37 and i miss to play the lair of the mad dragon so i cannot queue the map anymore. plz help me
  • gyelixgyelix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    A new question : is it possible to group multiple actions into a single story objective ?
    An exemple would be the player is supposed to "Rescue the prisoners" as a quest objective, and on the map i have 5 PNJ prisoners that the player can interact with.

Is it possible to make the quest tracker show "X/5 prisoners are free" (like most "gathering missions") and complete the objective once the 5 guys are free ?

Or should i make 5 objectives ? (rescue prisoner 1 > rescue prisoner 2 > rescue prisoner 3, ...)[/COLOR]

Answer:-

You can have it in any sequence you want. However if it is in story, it has to be *AND* logic.

For the one which you want specifically; you can drag the objectives to place them in parallel.

They will look like this:-

X_zps12773f69.jpg

Use dragging of boxes to achieve it

In current build, group 2 is not possible as shown here:-
    Eg2.jpg

It has to be one group only. If you want to achieve nested effect like shown above, (group in group) you need to achieve it using logic from popup using conditional statement.

>> so as of now no way to do it in story board? well time to get creative! :cool:<<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ootyfastootyfast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I had got motivated to build this house from another thread in here about building a tavern. The responses in that thread to my problem was that some walls floors DO NOT block line of sight/aggro, use different building pieces and or add invisi walls. All I could think was WTF is point of wall/floor building pieces with no aggro blocker and why does it say nothing about this problem anywhere that I can find?
    So after several days of adding invisi walls, turning invsi walls flat for the floor, cause there ain't no invisi floors? the problem still seemed to be happening. At that point I had had enuff and decided a complete rebuild was needed.

A week later, after rebuilding the building, using as suggested PE walls which supposedly have aggro blocker and putting an invsi wall with every PE wall, the problem STILL persists. Tried setting all walls and floors to y relative to zero, y to terrain even gave geometry a go LOL that geometry sure didn't work hehe.

The final solution to problem seemed to be the only hope of saving the quest. Make all the upstairs mobs not pop till you got upstairs and the last downstairs not pop till you got there, only problem was it sorta makes the story line not quite as good.
    Now after moving the invsi wall out slightly from the PE wall I had seemed to stop the aggro thru walls but leaving any mob alive downstairs before going upstairs and downstairs mob would aggro thru the invisi floor and come upstairs. WAI in the test in foundry and again I sent it live. Ran it 3 times no aggro thru walls. Felt like all was going to run fine with quest now. Go in with my mate, first mob we fight, stuff in corridor other side of wall aggro's and runs into the fight, sigh. Why work fine solo and break so bad with 2 people?

This problem has really deflated my mojo for building my own maps. I am of 2 minds on the problem
    Firstly have I set something wrong? Is something special supposed to be set for building pieces that I missed? Is my y relative to set wrong? do somethings need to be set to true not false?
    Secondly that it is server side bug and that is why some of the big cyclops are fighting halfway thru the wall and aggroin thru invsis walls and floors and normal building pieces?
    The name of the quest is Ooty Shot The Sheriff NW-DKSATTZAW

As you can probably tell I am very frustrated with this problem and any help or advice would be
    greatly appreciated.

ootyfast
    castle020.jpg
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah. Welcome to foundry/live hell. I've got mobs that somehow get INSIDE keep walls...not inside the keep - inside the 40' thick walls!

About the only thing I have found that barely works is having mobs following accurate pathing where all my patrol points are about 3' above the terrain. And I doubt that will help with aggroing above/below ceilings/floors. Only suggestion would be to move floors/ceilings further apart - instead of 10' between floors, make them 20' or even 30' between floors.
  • dunebuggydriverdunebuggydriver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've been having this issue when I go to play my mission after editing it, this "Internal error when trying to play map" message keeps coming up and wont let me pass.

I've tried,
    - Closing and reopening the project
    - Restarting the game
    - Trying to run a separate mission (they worked yet I didn't stay long to see if that message would start showing up on it)
    - I even tried duplicating the mission which seemed to work until about 5 minutes later when that message would come back on the new mission.

What can I do to fix this? Is it the game glitching?
  • essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • dunebuggydriverdunebuggydriver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    essenti wrote: »
    Ah thank you
  • brenissimobrenissimo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a question...
    Is it possible to make the player move from point A to point B?
    Let me explain... Player will get charmed/hypnotized by an NPC and will be forced to walk to a specific point of the map.
    Is it possible?

If it's not possible, can i make the player get teleported automatically when he reaches a certain point on map.

Any of thoe ideas are possible?

thanks!
  • myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited January 2014
    I don't believe this is possible (but someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).

I think a similar effect could be achieved by overlaying one room on top of another on an outdoor map. You would then trigger a fade to black effect on an objective or component, and whilst the fade in black is in effect, you would trigger all the details comprising one room to disappear and all the details comprising the other room to appear. This creates an illusion that the player has moved. There is at least one Foundry quest which makes use of this method, but I cannot recall the name. This is, however, quite involved - particularly if you use high-detail rooms.
    Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure
  • brenissimobrenissimo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    that's a bummer... lots of foundry ideas that i'll keep in store for (hopefully) future updates...
    Thanks!
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    brenissimo wrote: »
    I have a question...
    Is it possible to make the player move from point A to point B?
    Let me explain... Player will get charmed/hypnotized by an NPC and will be forced to walk to a specific point of the map.
    Is it possible?

If it's not possible, can i make the player get teleported automatically when he reaches a certain point on map.

Any of thoe ideas are possible?

thanks!

If you are simply trying to make the player walk to a point on the map; you could simply have an objective to walk to that point. At least if I am understanding you correctly.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
    edited January 2014
    If you are simply trying to make the player walk to a point on the map; you could simply have an objective to walk to that point. At least if I am understanding you correctly.

Actually, i wanted to make the player go from point A to point B, but the whole point of the history was to force the player to forcefully walk to a point of the map. Just creating a quest objective and tell the player to go there won't create the ambiance i want for the quest...

Instead, can i make an NPC move to a specific point of the map and, when he (the npc) reaches that point, an objective will be completed?
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    brenissimo wrote: »
    Actually, i wanted to make the player go from point A to point B, but the whole point of the history was to force the player to forcefully walk to a point of the map. Just creating a quest objective and tell the player to go there won't create the ambiance i want for the quest...

Instead, can i make an NPC move to a specific point of the map and, when he (the npc) reaches that point, an objective will be completed?

I don't think that is possible either. However, I do have a similar scene in "The Temple Of The Planes" to what you originally described. What I did was have a "Fade to black" effect appear near the end of a conversation with an NPC. That stays, however, that conversation completes the map and the transition is an invisible clicky near that NPC. The player hopefully presses "F" at that point where they end up on a different part of the map which is really the next map.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • karsciyinkarsciyin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can't build anything in the skybox. I can't test it, I mean.
    Whenever it first loads a Foundry map for me, my character dips low before readjusting to terrain. Usually this just means water graphics for a couple seconds while on dry land, but in the sky map it means dipping into the killbox and being unable to move around the map.

This is the case even when I have the platform at Y 30 and the spawn at Y 50 to give me some breathing room.
  • myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited January 2014
    When you created the platform at Y 30 and set spawn to Y 50, was your test character already dead from a previous spawn? If so, try creating a non-skybox map, testing that map normally (so your test character remains alive at the end of the test), then switch to the skybox map with the spawn and platform set above the killbox.
    Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure