test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To All Hero Of The North Owners

Comments

• Options
    bcomptonbcompton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so you get a plain brown horse rather than an armored bear big whoop
  • Options
    jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shadeypwnz wrote: »
    Regardless of how you feel about it, buying power in a game is wrong.

If that's the way you feel about it then don't play the game. No one is forcing you too play this game that you don't obviously want to play. BTW you can set your title in the User CP and then Permission Groups on the left.
  • Options
    joeamaxinjoeamaxin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Don't need to refine AD from the AH.

That's going on the assumption that you have been lucky enough to get gear good enough to be sold on the AH and secondly that someone will by random luck pick you sale over someone else's (assuming that they are the same price)
  • Options
    jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    Not to mention it's a one time purchase for all your characters. It becomes 'free' instead of costing zen in the store once you purchase it the first time.

Which is the same as spending $40 for 5 different characters. This has more value in the long run, but you are paying more up front.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    joeamaxin wrote: »
    Really? $100 each? and months to get them? The first time I played wow I got all my bag slots by the second week and I only put in about 2h per day. Just sold mining stuff and got money. but in this game 1 bag = $10. and last time I checked the conversion rate of AD to Zen was 480AD:1 zen. So 480 000 AD for 1 bag. and seeing that you can only gain (correct me if i'm wrong) 28000 AD per day through refining and about 7000 through dailies. Getting a bag, which should just be a drop, is going to take a while.

Yes, really.

When new higher capacity bags come out in WoW nobody has them. It taks time invested to gather mats and the crafting skills to make them... hundreds of dollars in wasted time. After the market is saturated, then you can get cheap deals.

This game is just out. There hasn't been time to saturate anything.

In six months, you can complain about buying bags.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That's going on the assumption that you have been lucky enough to get gear good enough to be sold on the AH and secondly that someone will by random luck pick you sale over someone else's (assuming that they are the same price)

I've sold probably 50 random greens on the AH for ~100AD each. Just set a reasonable buyout price and people will buy them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Really? $100 each? and months to get them? The first time I played wow I got all my bag slots by the second week and I only put in about 2h per day. Just sold mining stuff and got money. but in this game 1 bag = $10. and last time I checked the conversion rate of AD to Zen was 480AD:1 zen. So 480 000 AD for 1 bag. and seeing that you can only gain (correct me if i'm wrong) 28000 AD per day through refining and about 7000 through dailies. Getting a bag, which should just be a drop, is going to take a while.

You get some extra bags from quests as well when you level up. WoW you paid $12/month or whatever and all you got was access to the game. Here you pay for what you want to pay for. They could make a subscription plan that charges you $10/mo and gives you 1000 zen/month then it would be a subscription game.

They are just different models of game economy. Either way someone has to pay to support the game. This is a pay for perks method...in WoW it is a pay to play. The difference here is you don't HAVE to pay to play. You can grind it out if you want or you can pay to make it faster.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    But it does fit the symptoms very well

I doubt the Moderators will share your medical opinion.

Despite the toxicity of this topic I have to applaud the OP for sticking to his topic despite the flood of fallacies, misanthropy and diversions that followed.

Even though I very much understand why money gets you the goods, can you see how it could possibly be galling to listen to how hard it is to get around from the fellow on horseback? Does it seem ironic in the slightest to hear a dissertation on how tough it is to get AD from the chap who started with more than a million?

Perhaps you Heroes should view yourselves as aristocracy. You have wealth and privilege and so it is your duty to visit your largess upon the unwashed freebians scurrying around in the dirt.

To be honest, while I agree with the OP on a philosophical level, the only person who can actually keep you from engaging in a discussion is you. No one can make you not discuss how jolly tough pvp is while you murder freebs; especially all the dead freebs. And that one person feels that your privilege should exclude you from discussions about difficulties you don’t actually face, of what importance is that to you?

I think it is much more telling that the OP has stated his position and instead of just dismissing him and moving on, many heroes have engaged him. Degrees of success being subjective, what could have driven these heroes to commit themselves to an argument like this so wholeheartedly?

That’s what interests me in all this. Does the arrow strike close to the mark?

But what do I know, Ahhmm just a froobaloooww and everywhere I goooo...
  • Options
    joeamaxinjoeamaxin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malign99 wrote: »
    Sorry, LoL is the same as here. You can buy +xp and +rp, rune pages = bags. Those things give you an advantage over other players.

I will say this again as it doesn't seem to stick with you. Time and money is really what you have a problem with. It is not my fault or others that you choose to play this game how you do. You either grind it out or spend both get to the same exact place. Get over it.

How does getting an xp boost in league give you an advantage? you are still the same skill level and all that happens is you will get put with higher levels sooner. It only gives you an advantage if you are racing to 30. RP does not give you an advantage. You can by champions with it but that does not make you stronger than other people, where as buying gear in this game does. And lastly buying rune pages are not like bags because it takes about 30 seconds to re-organize rune pages where in NWO it takes about 5-10 min to stop questing, find a vendor, sell your stuff and then go back to where you were questing. Now I would not mind this bag space so much if the bank space wasn't so small.
  • Options
    maspien83maspien83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you buy power in Wow? No.

Your point is invalid.

Yes you can. A good chunk of their pets and mounts you can buy off the shop and they are not boe any more. So you can buy those and sell them for gold to buy gear, mats, and runs.

You can also go to third party sites to buy gold, buy gear, and buy runs through dungeons.

You can also buy bots to farm gold for you. So yes you can buy power in WoW too.

Spend an hour playing buying zen and selling zen for ad. You will be in the millions quickly.
  • Options
    shootnlootshootnloot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    The money : time corresponding to minimum wage argument is downright silly. Time you spend in a VIDEO GAME is not the same as time you spend at a WORK PLACE. Believe it or not, pwe is not trying to employ you as an in-game farmer. I think, perhaps, that you are viewing farming for better gear as a job and that makes me wonder why you would ever play any MMO that you need to play. I might reccomend downloading the DAoC Portal and playing dark age of Camelot freeshards (it has great pvp and pvp servers on which you do not need to level and obtain gear by killing others).

Towards the League and GW2 comments:
    This is kind of funny in my opinion. You are heralding GW2 as having a cash shop that disallows buying power; have you played gw2? You can directly convert the cash shop currency to gold and buy better gear. If I wanted one of the "legendary weapons" (considered perhaps the pinnacle of achievement in said game) I could sink 1k into the game and have one immediately. Please don't get me started on league. I love league, but roughly 30 matches (assuming you have a 100% win rate and get daily bonuses) for a new champ.... Or 10 USD, is not putting free players on a level playing field. Additionally league releases new champs that are often OP when launched that have a jacked up IP price to encourage you to spend cash.

It doesn't make this game any cheaper, but at least you can theoretically earn everything in the game. I'd like to hear about how you buy league skins through playing league. I've been interested in this for some time. BTW having highly customized and numerous tune pages gives me an advantage over an average <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and I paid in RP for those so that I didn't need to grind for them for a long time.

Then again: I'm a HoTN, so I suppose you will consider this information to be invalid anyhow.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    joreal wrote: »
    You get some extra bags from quests as well when you level up. WoW you paid $12/month or whatever and all you got was access to the game. Here you pay for what you want to pay for. They could make a subscription plan that charges you $10/mo and gives you 1000 zen/month then it would be a subscription game.

They are just different models of game economy. Either way someone has to pay to support the game. This is a pay for perks method...in WoW it is a pay to play. The difference here is you don't HAVE to pay to play. You can grind it out if you want or you can pay to make it faster.

Ya but with a sub I got everything not just bags. If I pay 10/month here all I get are bags.
    do you see what I'm saying?
    spending an equal amount of money on this game as I did on WOW does not get me that same features.
    I would not mind if an extra bag slot was like $0.50-$1.00 but its $10! How is this ok?
    Spending pretty much how much you would on a sub for a bag?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    How does getting an xp boost in league give you an advantage? you are still the same skill level and all that happens is you will get put with higher levels sooner. It only gives you an advantage if you are racing to 30. RP does not give you an advantage. You can by champions with it but that does not make you stronger than other people, where as buying gear in this game does. And lastly buying rune pages are not like bags because it takes about 30 seconds to re-organize rune pages where in NWO it takes about 5-10 min to stop questing, find a vendor, sell your stuff and then go back to where you were questing. Now I would not mind this bag space so much if the bank space wasn't so small.

To be fair LoL has a the stupid grind to 30. You are not nearly as powerful until you get to 30 and it takes a lot of games to get there. Buying an XP boost does speed that process. I'm not sure why they even have that leveling process in LoL at all. It's not like they teach you anything from 1-30 that you don't already have to know to play. It just restricts what abilities you can take.

I'm fine with making you buy champs and such because that's how they monetize their game and honestly most people don't play more than a handful at a time anyways so it lets you pick and choose which you buy. The runes also give an advantage, but in my experience you have at least a full set of runes by the time you get to level 30 anyways. The only thing money does in LoL is allows you to play a more diverse set of champs/builds at the same time.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ya but with a sub I got everything not just bags. If I pay 10/month here all I get are bags.
    spending an equal amount of money on this game as I did on WOW does not get me that same features.
    I would not mind if an extra bag slot was like $0.50-$1.00 but its $10! How is this ok?

Except in WoW you HAD to buy everything in that sub. In this you don't HAVE too, you CHOOSE too. Say everything that WoW gives you costs $200 in NW. Then between the $60 cost of the box and 1 year of sub you have $180 of cost. Then the expansion comes out and makes all your gear obsolete and you have to pay another $40 for a new box and still paying $120/yr to re-buy everything.

Not to mention you still have to grind up the gold to get the mounts, pets, ect.

Here you buy the stuff once and you got it for life. If they come out with better stuff you can either grind up to it with AD or you can rebuy it, its your choice. In WoW you had no choice.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    joreal wrote: »
    I'm fine with making you buy champs and such because that's how they monetize their game and honestly most people don't play more than a handful at a time anyways so it lets you pick and choose which you buy. The runes also give an advantage, but in my experience you have at least a full set of runes by the time you get to level 30 anyways. The only thing money does in LoL is allows you to play a more diverse set of champs/builds at the same time.

Yes spending money makes you have more diverse set of champs/ builds and I am perfectly ok with that. If this game only charged for skins, new classes, character slots, new races, and cosmetic items I would be perfectly ok with it and in fact support it. But as it is now I refuse to support a game that charges $10 for bags.
  • Options
    shadeypwnzshadeypwnz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    Everyone is off subject and raging, I suppose it's time for this thread to die.

It's sad that in 20 pages of context, I can count on one hand the amount of posts that had something informative to say disproving or approving of the original point.

Thank you to those of you who submitted valid information, and shame on those of you who submitted mindless babble simply for the sake of saying anything at all.

Simply because you believe something needs to be said, does not mean it necessarily needs to be heard.

Good luck in the game everyone!
  • Options
    jakepigellojakepigello Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    You can purchase a faster mount to escape or close gaps in PvP, you can purchase gear by selling zen for AD and using the AH, you can buy better pets to use in dungeons or questing, you can buy enchants to buff your stats in PvP and PvE.

You sound like the typical entitled teenager. Since someone else can get these items, I should be able to get them now as well and for free. Guess what kid, that isn't the way the real world works. You can grind and get the same items (work) or you can have your daddy buy it for you now (HOTN). You can't, however, get it now for free.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

No, you didn't get everything with the sub you still had to grind out the money to buy those things. That takes time and time is money.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's sad that in 20 pages of context, I can count on one hand the amount of posts that had something informative to say disproving or approving of the original point.

Thank you to those of you who submitted valid information, and shame on those of you who submitted mindless babble simply for the sake of saying anything at all.

Simply because you believe something needs to be said, does not mean it necessarily needs to be heard.

Hope you make treasure of your own advice
  • Options
    atheistgodsatheistgods Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maspien83 wrote: »
    Yes you can. A good chunk of their pets and mounts you can buy off the shop and they are not boe any more. So you can buy those and sell them for gold to buy gear, mats, and runs.

You can also go to third party sites to buy gold, buy gear, and buy runs through dungeons.

You can also buy bots to farm gold for you. So yes you can buy power in WoW too.

Spend an hour playing buying zen and selling zen for ad. You will be in the millions quickly.

Someone acquired those items through time in the game. In WoW, the quantity of an item in game is directly related to the difficulty in acquiring it. I dislike the third-party sellers, but they are the same concept as paying your little brother $5 to grind for an hour. You aren't getting around the game mechanics. That is not true in Neverwinter.

Dota 2 and HoN are both f2p games that don't sell power. Their shops are entirely cosmetic and they don't have any required payments, they still get revenue because people will pay for cosmetics.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I don't see that many people off topic other than you make some pointless attempt to only get people who agreed with you to respond. The reality is people didn't agree with you and that's why you are abandoning your point. You can make judgements about how much things cost in the shop, that's fine, but the reality is the cash shop items do not have nearly the profound impact on gameplay as you make them out to be. They give you a slight advantage at the beginning of the game, but in a matter of a month you could have it all as well. If you use all your AD you can make what nearly a million every month per character. Which means you can possibly buy 2 bags a month. 30*28kAD/420 = 2000 zen/month from grinding per character
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    Careful Mutharex, using an actual neural condition to disparage others will not play well. Please choose your ad hominem wisely.

Interlopers in my abode? Perhaps you have mistaken this edifice for an establishment of commerce. I assure you, you are mistaken. If you vacate these premises forthwith I shall exonerate you for the transgression of your intrusion.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Someone acquired those items through time in the game. In WoW, the quantity of an item in game is directly related to the difficulty in acquiring it. I dislike the third-party sellers, but they are the same concept as paying your little brother $5 to grind for an hour. You aren't getting around the game mechanics. That is not true in Neverwinter.

Dota 2 and HoN are both f2p games that don't sell power. Their shops are entirely cosmetic and they don't have any required payments, they still get revenue because people will pay for cosmetics.

And people who have to work will always be at a disadvantage to those who don't.
  • Options
    ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So, I guess that means you are against every game that either costs money to buy and/or has a subscription. Those games offer the ultimate "power" to those who pay money: The power to pay the game. Those that don't pay can't even (legally) play the game. If you want to talk about buying power, you should start there.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Take your own advice
  • Options
    atheistgodsatheistgods Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    novron wrote: »
    And people who have to work will always be at a disadvantage to those who don't.

In what way?
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In what way?

Less time to play?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    In what way?

Less time to advance in game, pretty obvious.

You spend all day running dungeons and gearing up while the working stiff gets home in the evening and has maybe 4 hours to give the game. Working guy is left in the dust. He could keep some parity buying the difference.

But even here, you can't buy top gear. It requires heavy time investment so the career gamers still win despite these ridiculous pay to win claims.
  • Options
    mofoleonemofoleone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still this game is awesome. It's F2P game, I wont spend a nickel on it, and eventually I'll have all I want. The End.

Still good game =]
  • Options
    malign99malign99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013

His arguement is that those who spend will get things faster than those who grind it out. In LoL that is the equivilent of xp or rp. Rp also buys you better runes, which the buyers will get to have faster than those who do not. How is that any different than here? It is just time vs money, same exact thing.