What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To All Hero Of The North Owners

Comments

• Options
    ebonogiebonogi Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Comparing apples to oranges. Ad does not buy slots or bags or anything. Zen does. An That is regardless of ad amounts. Zen is cash shop items like slots and bags and such
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shadeypwnz wrote: »
    If I don't buy them I am at a huge disadvantage in every aspect of the game. Purchasing power is distinctly wrong.

Power of free time is distinctly wrong then.

Get a job.
  • Options
    joeamaxinjoeamaxin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cannot get these items at the same speed or efficiency as someone who pays, therefor they will always have an advantage over me. As soon as stronger gear, enchants, mounts, etc. are released this user will have them. I will be at a disadvantage until I spend weeks or months grinding, at which point more powerful equipment will be released, and I will be at a disadvantage again.

Buying power is wrong.

This makes me laugh so hard, I agree with you OP 100% but what is funny is that your original point seems to be going over everyone's head while they get angry at you for things you didn't say. But such is life on the forums.
    I have a problem not only about being able to buy power but how basic items and features are not given to you unless you pay, such as bags and respecs. Now you people might say "this is D&D choices should matter" to which I say; yes it is D&D but is also an mmo and if you have these barriers to entry a lot of people who play this game because its a cool mmo, not because is it's D&D, will be pushed away, myself included. I really do want to like this game but having to pay $10 bags really pisses me off. Again people will say that I can get it with AD but as I am a casual player I do not have the time to spend grinding AD just so I can get a freaking bag that I should have gotten in a drop around levels 15-20. Honestly I might just stop playing because every time I log on I feel gimped because I don't want to pay crazy amounts of money for basic items and features. And if you say that its F2P i should just be happy that I get to play I say to you look at the game Warframe they do F2P right. One currency , no gold, AD,and zen <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and you can get everything in the shop ,aside from cosmetic items, in game with relative ease. This is how to make a game, pay for convenience not like this game where it is pay for stuff that should be basic goods and services.
  • Options
    shadeypwnzshadeypwnz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Actually, when I check my email, there is an ad that says "World of Warcraft now FREE TO PLAY" then in small text it says "to level 20" so, it actually is marketted as free to play.

You just said the text says "to level 20". It's not a free to play game, sorry.

Buying power in games is wrong.
  • Options
    oriodixoriodix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Funny that defenders of NWO are people with HoTN. OP is right, you don't know what is the problem for people who doesnt' pay for game. We can farm, grind etc. but all the time we will be behind you ;) and that is wrong. You will pay for every new content and get it, we won't because we will be busy farming.

It's ok that in game i can get everything, cool. But it's impossible to race with those who pays for game. So ,,HoTN defenders" you are rabbits we are snails.

Funny for you, problem for us.
  • Options
    xevvxevv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Why are people arguing with this kid?

Hes clearly too broke too afford anything. Therefore its no big loss if he leaves.

Bye bye
  • Options
    shadeypwnzshadeypwnz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    joeamaxin wrote: »
    This makes me laugh so hard, I agree with you OP 100% but what is funny is that your original point seems to be going over everyone's head while they get angry at you for things you didn't say. But such is life on the forums.
    I have a problem not only about being able to buy power but how basic items and features are not given to you unless you pay, such as bags and respecs. Now you people might say "this is D&D choices should matter" to which I say; yes it is D&D but is also an mmo and if you have these barriers to entry a lot of people who play this game because its a cool mmo, not because is it's D&D, will be pushed away, myself included. I really do want to like this game but having to pay $10 bags really pisses me off. Again people will say that I can get it with AD but as I am a casual player I do not have the time to spend grinding AD just so I can get a freaking bag that I should have gotten in a drop around levels 15-20. Honestly I might just stop playing because every time I log on I feel gimped because I don't want to pay crazy amounts of money for basic items and features. And if you say that its F2P i should just be happy that I get to play I say to you look at the game Warframe they do F2P right. One currency , no gold, AD,and zen <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and you can get everything in the shop ,aside from cosmetic items, in game with relative ease. This is how to make a game, pay for convenience not like this game where it is pay for stuff that should be basic goods and services.

I'm grateful that someone else has noticed my very simple point going directly over people's heads. I literally just keep repeating myself, and will continue to do so until they realize the point I am making.
  • Options
    immagikman2immagikman2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Stop entering discussions about the cost effectiveness of this game. You already spent $200 on the game. You have not had to endure any AD grinding for your bag slots, bank, mounts, companions, nightmare keys, etc. You have no place in the discussion on price vs. reward in the cash shop or in AD at all.

Not to mention most of you are missing the main point anyways, buying power is a bad mechanic. Period. Let me show you how this works:

(Power in this sense means: stats, levels, mount speed, gear, in-game currency, etc. Anything that allows you to perform higher in PvP which is just incredibly poor design, or even things that allow you to perform better in PvE.)

Can you buy power in a game?

Yes - The game is flawed, players will be upset that you can throw money at higher stats.

No - The game is designed correctly (theoretically) and everyone is happy that you can't simply buy power.

That is all.

So who died and made you the boss to tell others what to do, say, think or feel?

For the record the game is a cost effective form of entertainment if you are talking dollars and sense. if you don't have an education you may not understand but "Cost Effective" in this case is based on Dollars per hour of entertainment. At less than a dollar per hour so far, it is by far the cheapest entertainment medium I have in my life, lower than Television, Movies, Vacation trips and Gun Collecting.

Sooo Ill thank you if you quit trying to tell ME what to do and maybe earn your own way in life instead of ragging on others.

You say your original point is going over peoples heads....but that just shows you aren't an effective communicator. You did NOT make a SINGLE cogent point, you made a rambling diatribe of several points and are now upset because people didn't read your mind but what you wrote.
    If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
  • Options
    pocketcopperspocketcoppers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    So who died and made you the boss to tell others what to do, say, think or feel?.
    </raises hand> I confess. I died and bequeathed him bossness. It was a mistake anyone could have made... but I am the culprit you seek. He pays with time, you pay with coin, it all balances out in the end. Or not.
    Lo, the mighty Oak: Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • Options
    joeamaxinjoeamaxin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xevv wrote: »
    Why are people arguing with this kid?

Hes clearly too broke too afford anything. Therefore its no big loss if he leaves.

Bye bye

Why do you feel it necessary to insult people? We are just having a discussion. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that's what forums are for, discussion. If you have come here only to throw insults around and not actually add to the discussion then I suggest that you be the one that leaves.
  • Options
    xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You keep talking about buying power. But I note how you didn't acknowledge the fact that while power can be bought in the game, it can also be earned by simply playing the game. You don't have to pay a dime to get anything you want.

Since the only decent thing in this thread so far has been a drow screen shot, I'll add mine:

nwscreen2.jpg
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ebonogi wrote: »
    Comparing apples to oranges. Ad does not buy slots or bags or anything. Zen does. An That is regardless of ad amounts. Zen is cash shop items like slots and bags and such

You can convert AD to Zen
  • Options
    skeeter82skeeter82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm grateful that someone else has noticed my very simple point going directly over people's heads. I literally just keep repeating myself, and will continue to do so until they realize the point I am making.

No, you're stating an opinion, and one that very few ppl agree with. As I stated before, you are welcome to find another game if this one is not to your liking. however if it's free to play, it WILL allow players to pay to win, regardless of your thoughts of right or wrong. Sorry man, but you lose either way. Stop blaming the players.
  • Options
    spricklesssprickless Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shutting out one group in a discussion seldom leads to a good debate. I'd say everyone has a say.
  • Options
    wruntjuniorwruntjunior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    oriodix wrote: »
    Funny that defenders of NWO are people with HoTN. OP is right, you don't know what is the problem for people who doesnt' pay for game. We can farm, grind etc. but all the time we will be behind you ;) and that is wrong. You will pay for every new content and get it, we won't because we will be busy farming.

It's ok that in game i can get everything, cool. But it's impossible to race with those who pays for game. So ,,HoTN defenders" you are rabbits we are snails.

Actually, I think there are some potential p2w issues in this game...I find it hilarious that the OP is pretty much missing all of them by saying that HotN is p2w (especially in saying the 2.6mil AD max + mounts you can get from founder's packs is what makes them p2w)
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oriodix wrote: »

How is wrong that people who spend money for a product have better treatment than leeches?
  • Options
    fmstalkerfmstalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I work for the money I make. I spend my time working, to earn money to buy the things I need and want. That is pretty much how the world works, except for the few who think they should have what I do without ever doing any work.

If I take my money, that I worked to earn, and I buy a faster mount in game, then what is the problem really? You can get one too. You can choose to spend some money and get it.

Or, if you prefer, you can just get one with time. It takes time to make money, so it stands to reason that spending your time in game should give you something equal to money. And it very much does.

I bought a new car a month ago, an Aston Martin Vantage. It's probably faster than your car I bet. I saved up and spent the last three years working extra hours to get this car, so I spent not only money but time to get it. And there is nothing in the world you can do that would allow you to get one without also buying it, and do you think you should have one too? Just because I do?

Now, take this to the game. I spent time at work, earning my money, and I spent that money on the game. I got a faster mount than you. But unlike real life, you can just spend some time in the game and get one too. You can't do that in real life.

Honestly, you are looking at this the wrong way. You actually have the advantage when you don't spend money. I bet you are wondering how. What a crazy thing to say, right?

Let's look at it.

You only spend time. You spend some time in game, you get a Rank 3 mount without ever spending a dime. All your real world money is still yours.

I spend money on the game. I had to earn that money, which took my time to do. I get a rank 3 mount too, but I don't have my money anymore.

So, you spent only some time. I spent time and money.

Also, if the game shut down in a year or two, you never spent a dime. Anything you no longer have because the game is gone didn't take away from your real life. I spent money, that means when the game shuts down I have nothing to show for the money I spent.

The only way anyone could complain about someone being able to spend money to get something, power or otherwise, is if they couldn't get the same things. You can. You can get the same things by spending only time.

The only difference is how quickly you get it. In the end, we are equal, just you had to be more patient because you refused to spend money. I didn't get any power you can't get. You can get the same power.

It's only unfair when you get power that other's cannot get.

That isn't the case here. If it really means that much to you that you have it now, spend some cash.

If you are going to be a free player, then you live with having to be patient. It's a choice you make.

You should be thankful for people like me, and the others who spend money on the game. Without us, you don't get to play the game. It's the people who spend money that keep the game going, and if the people who pay money don't get something for their money, they won't spend it. Then it won't really matter, because the game will shut down.

If anything, the people spending money are taking the biggest hit. It's like paying child support for a bunch of kids you shouldn't even be responsible for.

They could switch to the monthly sub, then we all get things equal...but then you'd be FORCED to spend money to play. Since you obviously don't want to spend money, what exactly do you feel you have the right to ***** about?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    </raises hand> I confess. I died and bequeathed him bossness.

Thank you for sharing poketcoppers that was very brave of you.
    Does anyone else have anything they want to get off their chests?
    Ill go first then.
    I'm Spartacus.
  • Options
    wruntjuniorwruntjunior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for sharing poketcoppers that was very brave of you.
    Does anyone else have anything they want to get off their chests?
    Ill go first then.
    I'm Spartacus.

No, I'M Spartacus.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Blagojavich approves.
  • Options
    skeeter82skeeter82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fmstalker wrote: »
    i work for the money i make. I spend my time working, to earn money to buy the things i need and want. That is pretty much how the world works, except for the few who think they should have what i do without ever doing any work.

If i take my money, that i worked to earn, and i buy a faster mount in game, then what is the problem really? You can get one too. You can choose to spend some money and get it.

Or, if you prefer, you can just get one with time. It takes time to make money, so it stands to reason that spending your time in game should give you something equal to money. And it very much does.

I bought a new car a month ago, an aston martin vantage. It's probably faster than your car i bet. I saved up and spent the last three years working extra hours to get this car, so i spent not only money but time to get it. And there is nothing in the world you can do that would allow you to get one without also buying it, and do you think you should have one too? Just because i do?

Now, take this to the game. I spent time at work, earning my money, and i spent that money on the game. I got a faster mount than you. But unlike real life, you can just spend some time in the game and get one too. You can't do that in real life.

Honestly, you are looking at this the wrong way. You actually have the advantage when you don't spend money. I bet you are wondering how. What a crazy thing to say, right?

Let's look at it.

You only spend time. You spend some time in game, you get a rank 3 mount without ever spending a dime. All your real world money is still yours.

I spend money on the game. I had to earn that money, which took my time to do. I get a rank 3 mount too, but i don't have my money anymore.

Also, if the game shut down in a year or two, you never spent a dime. Anything you no longer have because the game is gone didn't take away from your real life. I spent money, that means when the game shuts down i have nothing to show for the money i spent.

The only way anyone could complain about someone being able to spend money to get something, power or otherwise, is if they couldn't get the same things. You can. You can get the same things by spending only time.

The only difference is how quickly you get it. In the end, we are equal, just you had to be more patient because you refused to spend money. I didn't get any power you can't get. You can get the same power.

That isn't the case here. If it really means that much to you that you have it now, spend some cash.

If you are going to be a free player, then you live with having to be patient. It's a choice you make.

You should be thankful for people like me, and the others who spend money on the game. Without us, you don't get to play the game. It's the people who spend money that keep the game going, and if the people who pay money don't get something for their money, they won't spend it. Then it won't really matter, because the game will shut down.

If anything, the people spending money are taking the biggest hit. It's like paying child support for a bunch of kids you shouldn't even be responsible for.

They could switch to the monthly sub, then we all get things equal...but then you'd be forced to spend money to play. Since you obviously don't want to spend money, what exactly do you feel you have the right to ***** about?

end of the argument. Anything said past this point is the beginning of a new argument.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I can assure you my real life is quite functional. Personal attacks as opposed to actual discussion do nothing, and prove nothing. Move along.

It clearly isn't if you are advocating that an entire industry changed their model of business to suit your inability to solve your own problem.
  • Options
    dskiperdskiper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, you say those who bought the Hero of the North are fools who don't know how to work hard?

Well, how do you think they got the money to buy the thing in the first place? They WORKED for it. So they worked to get what they have, what is stopping you from WORKING for the stuff and I don't mean as in buying like they did, but working in game. Last I checked it's possible to get ANYTHING in the game, just a little bit of work is required.
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Clash of the Titans!

Who will win?

The clueless who put in 200$ in a mediocre game or the f2p leechers?

Im so happy I got the Guardian pack. I knew this game was fishy.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xhatch wrote: »
    You keep talking about buying power. But I note how you didn't acknowledge the fact that while power can be bought in the game, it can also be earned by simply playing the game. You don't have to pay a dime to get anything you want.

Sure you can get stuff by grinding but the problem is how much grinding you need to do. For me a casual player I would have to spend months to grind enough to get something so simple such as a bag.
  • Options
    rakeleerrakeleer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Incorrect, you cannot buy power in any MMO. Until you provide proof of this wild claim I will continue to ignore it.

Burden of proof is on you. Please name the MMO that is immune to 3rd party gold farmers and power levelers. You have made the statement that you cannot buy power in any MMO.

Prove it, or continue to be a troll.
  • Options
    xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure you can get stuff by grinding but the problem is how much grinding you need to do. For me a casual player I would have to spend months to grind enough to get something so simple such as a bag.

Well then if you're not happy with that then /quit the game and play something else or come on forums and complain...oh wait...
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fmstalker wrote: »
    I work for the money I make. I spend my time working, to earn money to buy the things I need and want. That is pretty much how the world works, except for the few who think they should have what I do without ever doing any work.

If I take my money, that I worked to earn, and I buy a faster mount in game, then what is the problem really? You can get one too. You can choose to spend some money and get it.

I bought a new car a month ago, an Aston Martin Vantage. It's probably faster than your car I bet. I saved up and spent the last three years working extra hours to get this car, so I spent not only money but time to get it. And there is nothing in the world you can do that would allow you to get one without also buying it, and do you think you should have one too? Just because I do?

Now, take this to the game. I spent time at work, earning my money, and I spent that money on the game. I got a faster mount than you. But unlike real life, you can just spend some time in the game and get one too. You can't do that in real life.

Let's look at it.

You only spend time. You spend some time in game, you get a Rank 3 mount without ever spending a dime. All your real world money is still yours.

I spend money on the game. I had to earn that money, which took my time to do. I get a rank 3 mount too, but I don't have my money anymore.

Also, if the game shut down in a year or two, you never spent a dime. Anything you no longer have because the game is gone didn't take away from your real life. I spent money, that means when the game shuts down I have nothing to show for the money I spent.

They could switch to the monthly sub, then we all get things equal...but then you'd be FORCED to spend money to play. Since you obviously don't want to spend money, what exactly do you feel you have the right to ***** about?

this makes total sense :)
    F2P is a "win-win" for everyone in the long run.
    People who play get there a little faster but in the end, we have access to the same stuff.
    People who don't want to spend money, spend time and eventually get their stuff
    Developer GET money and can develop more.

The sub method is great but then it create a "gated entry" which is buying the game (optional) and paying for sub (not optional) this actually PREVENT people from trying the game out from level 1 to max. Sure there are free trials but usually are pretty limited on what you can access before subbing
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    fmstalkerfmstalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And many would have to spend months to earn the money to spend on the game too. Dropping 200 bucks is not something many people can do without saving or working extra time.

How does it not come out equal in the end?
  • Options
    stargeezertimstargeezertim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I come at this issue from a different trajectory altogether. I have two accounts: one a "Guardian" level Founder (the $60 buy-in), and one freebie. In the interest of full-disclosure, I don't PvP on either one...not my thing.

Was leveling in the early game easier on the Founder account? Between the blue weapon which was unsurpassed up until around level 20, the blue ring which some of my 20's characters are still wearing, and the Dire Wolf companion to assist from the moment I was "feet-wet" in Protector's Enclave, it was undoubtedly a bit easier. That being said, I am enjoying my freebie account as well even without the perks. I have to be a bit more situationally aware, and can't typically just hack-n-slash my way out of a jam, but that's just fine.

This is particularly true on my Great Weapon Fighter, which is on my freebie account. Despite being a mail-wearing class, they can be particularly squishy early on. The only "advantage" I've given this toon is to mail a stack of 99 healing potions I had already outgrown on my other characters. He pops these like candy to stay healthy, but otherwise all his gear is standard-issue stuff. I suppose I could spend some money and mail him a healer companion, and indeed may do that if he runs into a wall prior to hitting 16 and getting his starter companion.

The point is, while I have indeed spent money on this game (including a visit to the Zen store for the Founder account), I'm playing the "froob" account with as much enjoyment as I do the Founder one, perhaps with even a bit more personal satisfaction, since I'm not benefiting from any of the front-loaded gear that I have on my paid-for account and still somehow managing to prosper.

May I humbly suggest, OP, that your expectations of what is "power" or "advantage" in a game may need to be re-aligned to conform to "what is" and not simply "what I wish it was." Food for thought.
    hh_banner_small_revised_zps5bc02b95.jpg

Will /danceseductive for ZEN. :cool: