test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hi! The game is great. The game is free. why are you complaining?

bigggeebigggee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So, they give us a free game to play and there is still a bunch of complaints about the cash store? When was the last time a game came out without any cash out of pocket from its gamers? Much less a game of this quality? Anything you can buy with real money is obtainable in the game for free with a little thing called playing the game. It may take you longer to get it......but you can do it. All i see are a bunch of gimme gimme and why does it cost so much! There is NO subscription, there are people always on, it looks great, you don't have to search for parties to do the dungeons, I mean come on! So you don't wanna pay $35 for a Honey Badger, then go for the dog, cat or cleric that they give you in game. You don't have enough bag space? Well in the tabletop game you can't even carry that many things without an encumbrance penalty! The things in the Zen store are mostly vanity and cosmetic things. (I have spent money in the Zen Store and I swore I wouldn't, but I had to have a Honey Badger companion...but I didn't need it.) I am a registered DM with Wizards of the Coast. I really think that this game captures a little of that tabletop goodness mixed with MMO style. Much better than the previous D&D MMO. I for one will be playing this game for some time to come and I have recommended it to a few of my weekly adventurers. Now we have one pen and paper day and three online days. IT'S FREE PEOPLE! You gotta expect them to make some kinda money! I swear, you can't even give people anything. see ya on the Sword Coast!
Post edited by bigggee on

Comments

• Options
    delekii1delekii1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they gave you a free game and then charged $1000 a bag, would you continue not to complain?

Your wunderlust lets you see value for money in things where there is none. The game is free, sure, but when the things you want from the game cost money, that means very little. A free game doesn't implicitly mean a carte blanche for charging whatever you like for things, not if you don't want upset customers.

They aren't giving the game away free out of the bottom of their hearts - they are giving it away to make money on microtransactions. It is not a free game.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No F2P game is free. They usually free if you want a limited experience, in this case the pay items are cosmetic or convenience. You can still play without paying a cent (you get bags and companions through questing and skill kits give quite a few mats and assets not to mention Leadership tasks granting chests et etc).

And best of all, if you don't wanna pay you can go play something else!

But no, if a MMO launches without a bunch of idiots whining, it's not a real launch. Such is the nature of the beast
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    A lot of players are being unrealistic in their complaints, that's true. But you can't write off all the people complaining about the prices. Some players do acknowledge that Cryptic and Perfect World need to make money, but still feel strongly that certain items in the game are too expensive.

I think that, and I bought a founder's pack. I've bought Zen. I've spent that Zen. I can afford the current prices for the things I really want.

But I still wish some things were cheaper.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    acylion wrote: »
    A lot of players are being unrealistic in their complaints, that's true. But you can't write off all the people complaining about the prices. Some players do acknowledge that Cryptic and Perfect World need to make money, but still feel strongly that certain items in the game are too expensive.

I think that, and I bought a founder's pack. I've bought Zen. I've spent that Zen. I can afford the current prices for the things I really want.

It's true, but the unrealistic, childish and offensive part is either quite vocal or in big number because it's a deluge of posts bordering on the mental <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>...
  • Options
    bigggeebigggee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    delekii1 wrote: »
    If they gave you a free game and then charged $1000 a bag, would you continue not to complain?

Your wunderlust lets you see value for money in things where there is none. The game is free, sure, but when the things you want from the game cost money, that means very little. A free game doesn't implicitly mean a carte blanche for charging whatever you like for things, not if you don't want upset customers.

They aren't giving the game away free out of the bottom of their hearts - they are giving it away to make money on microtransactions. It is not a free game.

well, still. most of the game is free and bags aren't $1000. you can pay if you want to. but it actually isn't required. The complaints come about things you want to have not need.
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    It's true, but the unrealistic, childish and offensive part is either quite vocal or in big number because it's a deluge of posts bordering on the mental <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>...

Any new Free to Play game is going to attract a lot of players who fundamentally aren't willing to spend money. Any money. Or if they are willing to spend, then it's a pretty low sum. That's just how it is.

We live in an era where online games are "free", and where "paid" content on smartphones costs just a couple of bucks. Gamers that are used to spending considerably more on single player titles and monthly MMO subs may have a different attitude.

Personally, I'd rather spend money on digital items than alcohol. I used to spend more money on alcohol. I used to spend a lot of money on alcohol. People say I'm stupid for buying a digital item that doesn't stick with me.

Maybe it is stupid, but it's a lot less stupid than what I used to spend on...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Any new Free to Play game is going to attract a lot of players who fundamentally aren't willing to spend money. Any money. Or if they are willing to spend, then it's a pretty low sum. That's just how it is.

We live in an era where online games are "free", and where "paid" content on smartphones costs just a couple of bucks. Gamers that are used to spending considerably more on single player titles and monthly MMO subs may have a different attitude.

I am not arguing that, people are free to do whatever they want with their money, in a way or the other. I am complaining about the tone (and often level) of the posts/threads
  • Options
    misterjunmisterjun Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is not true Arylion. I am most willing to fork up to perhaps $200 right now and even more over the long term. The point is not whether we CAN, it is whether we should. Cryptic definitely has a right to make money, developers need to eat, but at least be reasonable about it. We all have an intrinsic value of things, and thus far, it clearly offends the senses. It is as if they just want to make quick fat bucks right off the bat knowing some might migrate as more MMOs come out this year.

If they were in it for the long term, then high volume sustained over the entire player base (as opposed to the percentile that is willing to pay for overvalued virtual items) is a better model.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I wish things were cheaper, too. I thought it was foolish to buy a $200 founders pack, but with the founder's pack that i did buy($60) and the extra zen i purchased, (had to have the **** Honey badger)i'm almost there! However, my 14 year old son, I didn't buy **** for him and he is having a blast playing...for free. (I probably will buy him some zen when he finishes the school year) It just kills me that this is a really good game, and yet you still have the complainers! It could be like my sub I have on Champions, where I pay $15 monthly, and STILL have to use the cash store! I don't mind paying something if it enhances my perception of what I'm playing. I suppose the Drow will be a purchasable race and eventually the Ranger. To me it's like, buying new D&D books (sometimes at $40) to enhance my game, or buying a new accessory or DLC for my PC or PS3 to enhance my game. I fully belive that if the items in the zen store were free, we would still hear complaints about how it doesn't do this or that. Just tired of the persistent whiners..... sorry. I believe in paying for it if you want it!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am not arguing that, people are free to do whatever they want with their money, in a way or the other. I am complaining about the tone (and often level) of the posts/threads

I am with you on that!
  • Options
    sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is not only spending the money. Its replacing the game progression (most fun part in mmos) with payments.

So, instead of beeing rewarded for playing, you are rewarded for paying. And rewards are an important part of an mmo.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Personally, I'd rather spend money on digital items than alcohol. I used to spend more money on alcohol. I used to spend a lot of money on alcohol. People say I'm stupid for buying a digital item that doesn't stick with me.

Maybe it is stupid, but it's a lot less stupid than what I used to spend on...

Yeah, people are cheap! They want everything for nothing!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sadmummy wrote: »
    The problem is not only spending the money. Its replacing the game progression (most fun part in mmos) with payments.

So, instead of beeing rewarded for playing, you are rewarded for paying. And rewards are an important part of an mmo.

This is one of the few games that I have actually spent money on, (besides subscriptions and ships in STO) I really don't feel that I am rewarded for spending money, i think it's more a vanity and impatience thing.
  • Options
    sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think, faster mounts, bags, enchants and respecs aren't vanity things.

- You can buy a fast mount without money, but it costs 2 million AD. AD is limited to dailies. I don't see how you would get 2 million doing dailies for 1000-3000

- You can't get extra bags without paying besides the quest one.

- Higher level enchants require much more AD than what you get daily.

- You can't respec powers without money

- You can't respec feats without AD (again, limited to dailies)

- Not talking about companions bc I actually prefer there aren't any.

- Not talking about all loot beeing (even high tier) BoE, since you can get it without money. But still, beeing able to just pay for it takes away satisfaction from your effort.

Vanity items are social clothes, mount and companion skis without extra utiliy, maybe even combat gear looks (not stats). Yes, vanity is about the looks, never about utility or power of your char

And I am not complaining about having to spend money, I'm complaining about this taking away the fun of progression, thus killing the game. I am having lots of fun for now, because leveling always has progression. But I fear that at max lvl there will be no satisfying progression, with all this power you can get by paying
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bigggee wrote: »
    This is one of the few games that I have actually spent money on, (besides subscriptions and ships in STO) I really don't feel that I am rewarded for spending money, i think it's more a vanity and impatience thing.

With money/ZEN/AD you can level up your crafting skills a LOT faster. You can buy the best gear and the best enchants without ever stepping into a dungeon. You get the best companions and mounts. Without taking advantage of the clueless founders in the exchange all those would take AGEs to grind with AD.
  • Options
    zorpennzorpenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Are you obliged to buy that bag or something?
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
  • Options
    delekii1delekii1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zorpenn wrote: »
    Are you obliged to buy that bag or something?

If you don't want to spend half your game time npcing stuff, yes. But, that's beside the point. The OP yet again tried to make the argument that people are just being cheap when they complain about the pricing of items, and then again went on to make the argument that you can get anything you want by just playing the game.

And, again, the counter arguments to these two points are that people are very much not being cheap by refusing to pay too much for something, and that the argument that you can get anything you want by playing is asinine in that the time it would take to achieve any one of those goals is astronomical, let alone it being a viable "option" for progressing your character.

The AD > Zen conversion system exists for no other reason than to be able to say "hey, you can convert AD to zen". It has no FUNCTIONAL purpose in doing so. Like I said in another thread, it's like saying you can buy a lamborghini by collecting recyclable bottles for 5c a pop. It's technically true, but it has no application in the real world, where collecting the bottles required would leave you with a broken back at the least.
  • Options
    spazzenspazzen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please OP for the love of god break up your post in paragraphs.
  • Options
    nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013

By tone do you mean posts like this:
  • Options
    zorpennzorpenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you don't want to spend half your game time npcing stuff, yes. But, that's beside the point. The OP yet again tried to make the argument that people are just being cheap when they complain about the pricing of items, and then again went on to make the argument that you can get anything you want by just playing the game.

And, again, the counter arguments to these two points are that people are very much not being cheap by refusing to pay too much for something, and that the argument that you can get anything you want by playing is asinine in that the time it would take to achieve any one of those goals is astronomical, let alone it being a viable "option" for progressing your character.

The AD > Zen conversion system exists for no other reason than to be able to say "hey, you can convert AD to zen". It has no FUNCTIONAL purpose in doing so. Like I said in another thread, it's like saying you can buy a lamborghini by collecting recyclable bottles for 5c a pop. It's technically true, but it has no application in the real world, where collecting the bottles required would leave you with a broken back at the least.

Don't get me wrong i don't like cash shop in existing form at all. I'm just saying that i didn't and won't buy anything (besides Guardian pack) because i don't feel i must. That's because i'm not a min-maxer of any sort, i play to have fun, if i start feeling that i don't, then i will quit playing no matter if a bag or any item in cash shop costs 100$, 10$ or 1$.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
  • Options
    dezman00000dezman00000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Way to generalize OP.:rolleyes:

I want to give them my money but I can't. The nickle and diming is just too much, and I feel like I'm being squeezed out of money, and that makes it feel morally wrong to give them money, even though I enjoy the game very much.

So I'm in a rather conflicted situation here.
  • Options
    spazzenspazzen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Way to generalize OP.:rolleyes:

I want to give them my money but I can't. The nickle and diming is just too much, and I feel like I'm being squeezed out of money, and that makes it feel morally wrong to give them money, even though I enjoy the game very much.

So I'm in a rather conflicted situation here.

It's just PWE being <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as always and there's a reason that League of legends makes tons of money in comparison to PWE while only maintaining one single game
  • Options
    ddobsddobs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    I agree at somepoint but there is somethings that should be changed, more bag's from the world, not from zen/ad.
    More gear models... Anyway i'm lovin' the game, and i'm thankful for playing it for free till now. :)
  • Options
    rakunenrakunen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because it's so expensive. I want a hearthstone, plenty of different interesting companions, a fast mount, ample bag space, clothing options that don't make me look like a hobo, balanced equipment, a decent crafting system and all the other inconveniences baked into the game removed. To actually get all that stuff would cost thousands and thousands of dollars. As it stands the game is just packed with little niggling annoyances that is constantly asking me to pay for. If it was
  • Options
    rakunenrakunen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If it was $50 and I got all of the reasonable features and paid a little extra for more niceties it would be far better value. As it stands it just constantly niggles at me. The $200 pack for Champions Online was permanent access to everything with a monthly stipend to spend on what you want. The Hero pack just feels exploitative by comparison.

Okay the forum doesn't like the pound sign for some reason. Sorry about the double post, had to convert it to $. Should have added 35% like PW do...
  • Options
    keznkezn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I complain because i bought a founders pack for 200$ and its not working(in a display name conflict loop bug where no combination works to claim the pack), been 2 days with no response to mail, tried calling for several hours total, they do not seem to pick up the phone ever, they also do not like to even acknowledge it on the forum it seems, at the very least to let us know they are at least trying, any response.....the support in this game is the worst ive seen.

And its not only me with this problem if you look at the sticky up top...

I wish i never bought the **** pack or at very least they could pick up the phone so i can cancel it so i can go on play the game for free with no complaints.
  • Options
    oigres2013oigres2013 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    we complain because we care, when we stop to complain the game is dead.
  • Options
    jimbobslimbobjimbobslimbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I agree that the prices are high at the moment you can't deny that you get a LOT of game for nothing. In this day and age that is something to be happy about surely? The "hardcore" players, if anyone, are the one's that are penalised under the current regime. I feel for them because it does not seem entirely fair. However it is early days yet and I am sure they will lower prices and/or come up with something to appease the angry players.
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So far I think the devs are charging money at the right places!

If you want a cool mount, then pay up! If you want a chance at that sweet Nightmare horse mount, then pay up! Want a better companion? Well... either stick to your free one or pay up! Want bigger bags so you don't have to always find a vendor to empty'em? Pay up!

Even the $6 fee to respec seems fair! You should be careful when speccing your character! You should read what each talent ability does and chose it wisely, and if you think you did way too many mistakes, then stop being a cheapskate and pay the $6 fee! Like come on, this game is really well done and you aren't paying $15/month like other MMORPGs! $6 is *nothing*! If you can't afford that, then maybe you should find a better job than MacDonalds or eat a small lunch one day so you can keep the lunch money your dad gave you for a respec!

This game is not expensive to play! Support the developers and buy some stuff every now and then! Running a F2P game is not cheap! It's very expensive! They only do this because they are hoping some people will actually pay so that they can continue allowing F2P players to keep playing too!
  • Options
    thomasroordathomasroorda Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The thing is that paying real money for a game rewards effort outside the game, instead of in the game. Players who are able to sink a decent amount of money into this game, will get everything MUCH quicker, and you can't deny that. But what really puzzles me is that PWE thinks that this business-model yields the most money. I have no doubt that with some altering the cash-shop, NW will hold on to players for much longer. I mean, the leveling experience is really fun, but when you hit Lv. 60 as a low-paying customer and see people being better than you at almost everything while they barely put more effort in the game itself, you'll quit a lot earlier than when you feel that you can compete with other players by simply being good at the game itself.