test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fix for cleric threat.

mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Temple
Have posted this in a few other places but it got very little notice. I found out how to resolve the threat issue, when zoning into the dungeon take off all of your gear including chain under clothing and jewelry. Make sure you have sooth equipped when doing this if you plan on using sooth, you do not need to change any buttons on your hot bar, just make sure all your gear is taken off.

Then put all the gear back on again, now your healing threat should act properly, you will see a huge decrease in threat, compare to what you are use to anyhow. I do not know why this works, but it has worked for me now in over 23 dungeons I no longer pull threat for every target, and GWF can even peal mobs off me now.

You should only need to do this in the first dungeon you zone into for the entire play session, however if you log off, when you log back in you will need to do this again this includes if you crash out at any point.

I hope this helps people resolve their threat issue, and it will breath a breath of fresh air into the class it is a very different game when you do not have to tank 30+ adds in a dungeon, you may still pull a fair bit of threat from mobs that are not being attended to from tanks but once they throw a mark on it, and smack it once or twice it will soon be pealed off.

Enjoy, and please keep this thread alive, in the hope that a Dev will see this and be able to figure out the issue behind it all.
~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
Post edited by mewbrey on

Comments

• datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Fix?

Bandaid

but thanks =)
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'll be trying this on tomorrow's Castle Never, if it works I owe you a beer.
  • cett2cett2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone try this yet?
  • noxzwotanoxzwota Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    By "when zoning" You mean that i have to take off all my gear before entering dungeon and put everything back on when im inside dungeon?
  • rahama2forumrahama2forum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    Sounds interesting! I was expecting you to stop the thread after writing " just make sure all your gear is taken off." :o
  • washedonewashedone Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ummm...that is the strangest "solution" I've seen. Wonder what in the code is causing the issue? Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to try it out.
  • rahama2forumrahama2forum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    I wonder if it works in the opposite way with the guardian fighter...and the GWF with the damage :cool:
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    noxzwota wrote: »
    By "when zoning" You mean that i have to take off all my gear before entering dungeon and put everything back on when im inside dungeon?

When you first enter a dungeon for the first time after logging on example:

Queue for dungeon
    Enter dungeon
    Take all gear off
    Put all gear on
    No longer a tank!

Hope that explains it a little better! :)
  • noxzwotanoxzwota Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mewbrey wrote: »

Yes thx very much.
    Devs know about it ? Did You contact them?
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    noxzwota wrote: »
    Yes thx very much.
    Devs know about it ? Did You contact them?

I'm hoping they see this post, but I will also make an in game bug report, I really hope it helps them get to the bottom of this so the wider audience of clerics can enjoy their class that much more!
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This need to be placed also in the BUGS forum for the Devs to see.
    Awesome info - thanks!
    edited May 2013
    This need to be placed also in the BUGS forum for the Devs to see.
    Awesome info - thanks!

I had posted it in the bug area, but it got very little attention and faded down the post list. At least in the cleric area more people will see it is my hope :)
  • elddirelddir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't wait to give this a try. Thank you :)
  • pnellesenpnellesen Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just tried this before running around in the Tower Area (only level 14 atm). No quest/skirmish, just running around killing orcs. Joined up with a couple guys, and I did seem to notice quite a bit of difference in the amount of aggro I was getting, and once the other guys had aggro I didn't immediately pull it off them. Will have to try a skirmish next to see if there's any noticeable difference, but it would be nice to not have to be in "Dodge mode" the entire fight ;)
  • rayni250rayni250 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone else tested and confirmed this?
  • cett2cett2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hm, didnt seem to work, @lv40, got in dungeon- took off all items- put items back on- no change from what I noticed? lv3 soothe
  • sindofinsindofin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope that, contrary to what the devs said after supposedly fixing cleric threat after beta weekend 3 (or 4?), that threat is still bugged and this is a workaround. The other case would be that threat is where the devs want it to be, and this is an exploit.

Threat is still crazy for a cleric, and even more so in tier 2 epics. But at the same time the only challenging mechanic the game seems to use, is to throw dozens over dozens of adds at the party. So it is obvious that everyone has to work hard to manage it.

I do hope it is a workaround and not an exploit. As I'm getting a little bored of always having the same choice: getting swarmed and torn apart by adds whenever I'm actually trying to do some significant healing, or let others die and then wipe anyways.

Third option: OP is having a good laugh. :D
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just tried it. Seems to make a definite improvement. Thanks for this!
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • elddirelddir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just tried it at Throne of Idris and it certainly made things much better. Weirdest bandaid fix I've ever come across.

Thanks again.
    edited May 2013
    cett2 wrote: »
    Hm, didnt seem to work, @lv40, got in dungeon- took off all items- put items back on- no change from what I noticed? lv3 soothe

Afraid it does not make you immune to bad tanks hehe.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you first enter a dungeon for the first time after logging on example:

Queue for dungeon
    Enter dungeon
    Take all gear off
    Put all gear on
    No longer a tank!

I'll be trying that this weekend when I queue for the Mad Dragon.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
    edited May 2013
    bpphantom wrote: »
    I'll be trying that this weekend when I queue for the Mad Dragon.

You may still get some adds if no one else is hitting them within 8 seconds.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You may still get some adds if no one else is hitting them within 8 seconds.

Good to know. I've not done that one yet.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • montiblancmontiblanc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    wait a second...does this make sooth obsolete?
    edited May 2013
    montiblanc wrote: »
    wait a second...does this make sooth obsolete?

No makes it work. You still have to keep it on.
  • pnellesenpnellesen Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dunno what the policy on bumping is for these forums, but...

Bump.

This needs to stay on top. Did a couple skirmishes (Orc Attack) after unequip/re-equip on login and the difference was pretty noticeable.
  • prunetracyprunetracy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Future patch notes:

- Fixed a bug with cleric threat being unintentionally reduced after removing gear.
    edited May 2013
    pnellesen wrote: »
    Dunno what the policy on bumping is for these forums, but...

Bump.

This needs to stay on top. Did a couple skirmishes (Orc Attack) after unequip/re-equip on login and the difference was pretty noticeable.

Makes me very happy to see that it is helping people, I also hope it helps the developers pinpoint the issue if they know that we can work around it this way then perhaps they can reverse engineer the issue to solve it.
    prunetracy wrote: »
    Future patch notes:

- Fixed a bug with cleric threat being unintentionally reduced after removing gear.

I am almost 100% sure that by using this fix, it puts the threat how it is intended to be, you still pull agro often from mobs not being attended to by other players it just acts much more as you would expect threat to work in a mmo setting.

If I believed this an exploit I would have not posted this on here to try and help other clerics and would have just bug reported it.
  • sauciflard1sauciflard1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your strat didnt work.
    Always tanking everything.

Anw, with a good tank, you don't need this strat.
  • splattrsplattr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    How thoroughly was this tested? Did you run with the same group, using the same skills and strategies, multiple times with and without the workaround, at the same level? Sorry to sound so skeptical, I have just seen things like this poke out their ugly head in almost every mmo I have ever played. And once it gets started it is like herpes, as it will disappear for a while, but it will always come back around.