test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fix for cleric threat.

Comments

• mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    splattr wrote: »
    How thoroughly was this tested? Did you run with the same group, using the same skills and strategies, multiple times with and without the workaround, at the same level? Sorry to sound so skeptical, I have just seen things like this poke out their ugly head in almost every mmo I have ever played. And once it gets started it is like herpes, as it will disappear for a while, but it will always come back around.

I run usually with a pre-made group doing tier 2 dungeons. And I have tested this in tier 2 dungeons with the game group, having managed to replicate the fix well over 20 times now, on average I run 8-20 dungeons a day at the moment. I have however only tested it in such a way that I have described, removing gear once in the dungeon and then placing it back on, at first I was doing it every dungeon until noticing I only had to do it once per play session.

People saying that it does not work, I honestly do not know why it would not work unless they are not removing all of their gear, however this fix idea first came to me when I first changed the gems on my gear and it caused threat to become normalized, however next time logging in it was warped again so it occurred to me having done a rather large amount of testing in other games and this game that removing gear can some times solve... "strange" issues, and it just so happened that it does here too when reequipping the gear.

However again what I have suggested has worked for me and it seams a few others in this post to normalize threat from healing. You do not have to have sooth equipped in a passive slot to do this unless you wish to use sooth from that point onwards or equipping it after equipping your gear again will not take effect and you will need to redo the fix again with sooth on to gain the effects from sooth.

And in closing, I cannot stress enough you will still get some adds on you that are not being handled properly threat is still a rather fragile thing in this game and your healing threat even with this fix will still pull adds onto you if your tank is not marking or at the very lease cleaving the mobs, this includes ranged mobs that many tanks tend to forget about.

The way threat works in this game however, when using this fix leaves a 8 second period added in beta weekend 4, that healing agro will not cause threat and will not be back tracked meaning there is a 8 second period where players can pick up newly spawned adds such as the adds on boss fights. But again body pulling i.e proximity threat and damage threat still count during these times so if the mobs see you first due to bad positioning you'll get smacked around until some one takes it off you, admittedly with much greater ease when using this workaround.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I guess I have a strange question. How in the hell did you figure this out?

not sure I'd live long without Soothe, with or without this "fix" :p
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »

I was an alpha tester for this game cannot go anymore into that, as well as having alpha tested and beta tested many other games, spending hours upon hours trying very strange things out to see if I can fix such issues. It's something I enjoy doing especially when I am fond of the game.

Gear related bugs are fairly common, it may not actually be anything to do with the gear and some other background check that is going on and the gear is confusing it and just needs a refresh on equipping said gear when loading in each time, I don't even pretend to understand how or why it does these weird things I just know it happens ^^.
  • splattrsplattr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    mewbrey wrote: »
    I run usually with a pre-made group doing tier 2 dungeons. And I have tested this in tier 2 dungeons with the game group, having managed to replicate the fix well over 20 times now, on average I run 8-20 dungeons a day at the moment. I have however only tested it in such a way that I have described, removing gear once in the dungeon and then placing it back on, at first I was doing it every dungeon until noticing I only had to do it once per play session.
    Cool. Sounds like I will be taking my gear off and see how it goes. I would guess the variance in how well it works for others is either from doing it differently than you do, or the regular variables associated with pug groups. In any event, it's definitely worth a try.
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013

People saying that it does not work, I honestly do not know why it would not work unless they are not removing all of their gear, however this fix idea first came to me when I first changed the gems on my gear and it caused threat to become normalized, however next time logging in it was warped again so it occurred to me having done a rather large amount of testing in other games and this game that removing gear can some times solve... "strange" issues, and it just so happened that it does here too when reequipping the gear.

However again what I have suggested has worked for me and it seams a few others in this post to normalize threat from healing. You do not have to have sooth equipped in a passive slot to do this unless you wish to use sooth from that point onwards or equipping it after equipping your gear again will not take effect and you will need to redo the fix again with sooth on to gain the effects from sooth.

And in closing, I cannot stress enough you will still get some adds on you that are not being handled properly threat is still a rather fragile thing in this game and your healing threat even with this fix will still pull adds onto you if your tank is not marking or at the very lease cleaving the mobs, this includes ranged mobs that many tanks tend to forget about.

The way threat works in this game however, when using this fix leaves a 8 second period added in beta weekend 4, that healing agro will not cause threat and will not be back tracked meaning there is a 8 second period where players can pick up newly spawned adds such as the adds on boss fights. But again body pulling i.e proximity threat and damage threat still count during these times so if the mobs see you first due to bad positioning you'll get smacked around until some one takes it off you, admittedly with much greater ease when using this workaround.

you are playing with a premade. you have no idea how much of a difference that makes vs. pugging.

you don't get 4 rogues one cleric groups

you dont get 3 gf one rogue one cleric groups

you aren't using the queue. your experience is slanted vs. what the majority of players are having to deal with right now.
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I was an alpha tester for this game cannot go anymore into that, as well as having alpha tested and beta tested many other games, spending hours upon hours trying very strange things out to see if I can fix such issues. It's something I enjoy doing especially when I am fond of the game.

I feel like if I don't friend you in game, I'm not min/maxing! :p
    edited May 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    you are playing with a premade. you have no idea how much of a difference that makes vs. pugging.

you don't get 4 rogues one cleric groups

you dont get 3 gf one rogue one cleric groups

you aren't using the queue. your experience is slanted vs. what the majority of players are having to deal with right now.

I run groups with pick ups, admittedly I have not been thrown into a Tier 2 without a guardian fighter, but I have completed a few rough around the edges pick up groups such as rogue, rogue and Great-weapon fighter or even three control wizards. However yes for testing purpose I do tend to do the vast majority of my testing with people that I can communicate with under one unified language without any social issues and people that are indeed willing to test and try new things even if sounding a little strange at times.

My view is not slanted as I have experienced both sides.

the fix I have suggested has solved the issue for a few people if it is not working for you I am sorry, I am also sorry that it does not meet your preconceived perception of how this fix should work for you, but it does normalize the threat.

And again I did not promise you never getting threat ever again when using this fix, it may or may not improve your situation with having adds attacking you. I am very sorry that you have been driven to feeling upset but I did not promise you a fix just a bandaid.

Edited post as it came across wrong.
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I run groups with pick ups, admittedly I have not been thrown into a Tier 2 without a guardian fighter, but I have completed a few rough around the edges pick up groups such as rogue, rogue and Great-weapon fighter or even three control wizards. However yes for testing purpose I do tend to do the vast majority of my testing with people that I can communicate with under one unified language without any social issues and people that are indeed willing to test and try new things even if sounding a little strange at times.

My view is not slanted as I have experienced both sides, unless you mean slander?

I am guessing you mean Slander? Make false and damaging statements about (someone). I don't mean to bring up the miss type or spelling mistake just want to be sure, as none of my posts have contained any slander and I would not wish to belittle or slander anyone on a forum post.

There is no false words in my post also, the fix I have suggested has solved the issue for a few people if it is not working for you I am sorry, I am also sorry that it does not meet your preconceived perspective of how this fix should work for you, but it does normalize the threat.

And again I did not promise you never getting threat ever again when using this fix, it may or may not improve your situation with having adds attacking you. I am very sorry that you have been driven to feeling upset but I did not promise you a fix just a bandaid.

no i meant slanted. skewed. not representative of the whole.

stop queue'ng with your gwf buddy and do wolf den. do wolf den epic with no gwf with or without your threat fix. record the last boss fight. bonus points if you have a gf and 3 rogues in your 100% pug who ignore the dogs so they start to hit you for 58k (yes, one hit me that hard on my log. not it was not the boss as the boss does not "bite". the longer the dogs are alive the more damage they do and it ramps up within seconds of them spawning.)
    edited May 2013
    no i meant slanted. skewed. not representative of the whole.

stop queue'ng with your gwf buddy and do wolf den. do wolf den epic with no gwf with or without your threat fix. record the last boss fight. bonus points if you have a gf and 3 rogues in your 100% pug who ignore the dogs so they start to hit you for 58k (yes, one hit me that hard on my log. not it was not the boss as the boss does not "bite". the longer the dogs are alive the more damage they do and it ramps up within seconds of them spawning.)

I am sorry but I still do not understand what this has to do with the threat fix to assist in normalizing threat? Again sorry that you've been getting into PUGS that do not communicate well, but that does not mean the threat fix does not work in anyway.

Again I did not promise you immunity from threat or drawing agro, in fact even with the threat reduction I still feel that guardian fighters and great weapon fighters need better tools to pick up trash mobs, as many of their skills or at least the guardians are only 30' it would be nice if enforced threat was 50' that would help many pick up groups.

But I did not make this post to argue or discuss about how threat actually works and the underline issues associated with the current system, or the lack of tools given the classes intended to pick up the loose monsters or the general player disability when it comes to preforming especially when it comes to killing mobs.

Again, I am sorry that even with the threat normalization you are struggling to find suitable pick ups. But I cannot do any fixes such as creating a ELO system that would group you with players of similar playing skills especially not by getting you to remove your gear and put it back on again! :)
    edited May 2013
    I am sorry but I still do not understand what this has to do with the threat fix to assist in normalizing threat? Again sorry that you've been getting into PUGS that do not communicate well, but that does not mean the threat fix does not work in anyway.

Again I did not promise you immunity from threat or drawing agro, in fact even with the threat reduction I still feel that guardian fighters and great weapon fighters need better tools to pick up trash mobs, as many of their skills or at least the guardians are only 30' it would be nice if enforced threat was 50' that would help many pick up groups.

But I did not make this post to argue or discuss about how threat actually works and the underline issues associated with the current system, or the lack of tools given the classes intended to pick up the loose monsters or the general player disability when it comes to preforming especially when it comes to killing mobs.

Again, I am sorry that even with the threat normalization you are struggling to find suitable pick ups. But I cannot do any fixes such as creating a ELO system that would group you with players of similar playing skills especially not by getting you to remove your gear and put it back on again! :)

build and threat fixes are moot when you queue as a cleric for epic lair of the mad dragon and the game gives you 4 rogues.

your experiences with the game as it is designed is not the same as the majority of players and this is why you see people complaining about cleric threat, why people in this thread and your other cleric threat fix posts say it does not work for them and why there are threads about re-tuning dungeons. if cryptic can't be bothered to have a queue system that looks for specific characters - i would hope for at one-of-each at the very least system - then the dungeons will be inaccessible to the casual gamer that f2p games are aimed at and cater to.
  • azuregateazuregate Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    build and threat fixes are moot when you queue as a cleric for epic lair of the mad dragon and the game gives you 4 rogues.

your experiences with the game as it is designed is not the same as the majority of players and this is why you see people complaining about cleric threat, why people in this thread and your other cleric threat fix posts say it does not work for them and why there are threads about re-tuning dungeons. if cryptic can't be bothered to have a queue system that looks for specific characters - i would hope for at one-of-each at the very least system - then the dungeons will be inaccessible to the casual gamer that f2p games are aimed at and cater to.

Whether or not you've been unlucky with the dungeon queue system does not have much bearing on how useful this fix would be to cleric players. Just because you've been burned by poorly formed groups a number of times does not mean the fix is moot. It's still useful to clerics who find themselves in a group with a decent tank and some dps, regardless of if they're premade or not.

If your pick up group doesn't help you with adds, communicate with them. If they still don't listen, you got a bad group of players, there's really no helping that when pugging. 4 Rogue or 3 GWF 1 Rogue groups are bad set ups and shouldn't happen, but that has nothing to do with the fix itself, and are more to do with a queue system that could use some work.

I don't understand the hostility you seem to have towards the OP for bringing this to light and helping clerics deal with current threat issues, you seem to have a lot of tunnel-visioned hate towards the queue system, to the point of myopia. You need to realize your beef is with the queue system in particular.
    edited May 2013
    azuregate wrote: »
    Whether or not you've been unlucky with the dungeon queue system does not have much bearing on how useful this fix would be to cleric players. Just because you've been burned by poorly formed groups a number of times does not mean the fix is moot. It's still useful to clerics who find themselves in a group with a decent tank and some dps, regardless of if they're premade or not.

If your pick up group doesn't help you with adds, communicate with them. If they still don't listen, you got a bad group of players, there's really no helping that when pugging. 4 Rogue or 3 GWF 1 Rogue groups are bad set ups and shouldn't happen, but that has nothing to do with the fix itself, and are more to do with a queue system that could use some work.

I don't understand the hostility you seem to have towards the OP for bringing this to light and helping clerics deal with current threat issues, you seem to have a lot of tunnel-visioned hate towards the queue system, to the point of myopia. You need to realize your beef is with the queue system in particular.

the queue system helps to highlight the issues of group dynamics in this game. issues that i had hoped cryptic learned their lessons with when they butchered STO captain dynamics after launch.

in a couple of weeks when more of the f2p crowd that started a week ago hits cap and wants to try to explore end game dungeons through the queue system you will see more and more boisterous threads on this issue. the clear fix is to retune the encounters so that a horrible comp can do them without relying on store bought health stones. the last boss in grey wolf den needs teh black wolf spawn rate, spawn amount and damage done drastically reduced because without a gwf, a cw or both they aren't going to die before they've killed the cleric. i had one of the wolves hit me for a 58k bite. a single hit, 58k. that's one example.

while it's great that some people can have premades that are all on the same page and all using voice comms, this game can't be designed with that being the only way to succeed. not in this day and age, not with how selfish players are.

and this isn't just an issue for pve. do you know where these people go when they realize that the best they'll ever do is epic crypts? they afk in pvp for free glory and gear.

a 3 or 4 rogue group can't keep adds off a cleric, they have ilttle to no aoe. there are more than 3 adds in any boss encounter. that grey wolf chick spawns up to 4 wolves. maybe it would suck less if clerics didnt have righteousness.
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Does this work? Or is it like an urban myth?

Leading Clerics please give us the scoop.
    edited May 2013
    pops000 wrote: »
    Does this work? Or is it like an urban myth?

Leading Clerics please give us the scoop.

It does work, I wouldn't just make it up. As for leading clerics I wouldn't say I am a leading cleric but I've completed all tier 2 dungeons other than castle never. Give it a try and see if it works, no harm in taking your gear off and throwing it back on, takes about 30 seconds. :)
  • skizzy69skizzy69 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the tip mewbrey. I don't have Sooth on my bars because of it seemingly doing absolutely nothing, but it looks like I have a reason to test it out again.

Make your own thread, this is completely irrelevant to this one.
  • sirdimos1984sirdimos1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »

He just wants to see you in your undies.
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It does work, I wouldn't just make it up. As for leading clerics I wouldn't say I am a leading cleric but I've completed all tier 2 dungeons other than castle never. Give it a try and see if it works, no harm in taking your gear off and throwing it back on, takes about 30 seconds. :)

In my eyes you are THE leading cleric, if this is true. It just sounds like one of those lucky rabbit foot, rub my belly, cross my fingers, kind of things, that might be more perception, mass hysteria things where you convince your self it's true.

In other words, far more important than stats, powers, bad tanks.
  • rahama2forumrahama2forum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    This is going offtopic. If you wanna complain about clerics or guardian fighters please do it in the appropriate class forum and let people talk more about threat fixing.
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have tested over the last couple of days, running repeated skirmishes with and without the un-equip/re-equip option.

I would say it can have an effect, but this appears to be hit and miss. The question then arises: Is this hit and miss down to the band aid fix or purely due to the group picking up aggro better?

I ran one skirmish with this fix earlier today, standard group make up, tank + dps - and it didn't do a thing. Still a complete aggro magnet, spent more time fending off half a dozen mobs than any healing.

So - I'm not sure.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure if it was subconscious or not but I did in fact try this on a solo dungeon and my wolf did seem to hold aggro alittle better. So much so that twice when hidden/stealthed sky pirates/undead added to an already over pull I was able to run off while pet held aggro. Enough so that I was able to regroup heal/pot full and jump back into the mess.
  • hidethechildrenhidethechildren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've tried this with a pre-made group of friends (gwf, trx2, gf, and me) for about 15-16 runs(8300+) with the intent of checking this out.
    No difference, tanking adds like i've always done.

And yes, i've tried with and without sooth.

if it were in a pug i would be inclined to say it might be because of bad add handling from the rest of the group or pugish randomness and would need more testing, but these guys knows how to handle adds and i still end up tanking unless throttling my spells to the point of bare minimum how-low-can-you-go type playstyle.

is it working for everyone else and just not me or? :(
    edited May 2013
    I've tried this with a pre-made group of friends (gwf, trx2, gf, and me) for about 15-16 runs(8300+) with the intent of checking this out.
    No difference, tanking adds like i've always done.

And yes, i've tried with and without sooth.

if it were in a pug i would be inclined to say it might be because of bad add handling from the rest of the group or pugish randomness and would need more testing, but these guys knows how to handle adds and i still end up tanking unless throttling my spells to the point of bare minimum how-low-can-you-go type playstyle.

is it working for everyone else and just not me or? :(

Heya, did you make sure to remove all gear including chain main under clothing and trinkets? If some prehaps the fix needs more fine tuning. Also anyone that would like to help it would be interesting to know if you have any feat points in threat reduction be it 1/3 or 3/3 and of course 0/3.

As from what I am seeing now it seams to have mixed success and could be a much deeper issue, wish you could inspect peoples build and gear on the forums would help a great deal in these situations to see who is using what and getting what result.

Another thing you can try if the original fix has not worked is when logging on for the first time before zoning into any new zones or dungeons is to take all the gear off in town and throw it back on, rather than waiting to zone into a dungeon before do it.

Sorry that it has not worked smoothly for you. :(
  • hidethechildrenhidethechildren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I run 0/3 Battlewise and i have sooth maxed, and yeah i removed it all (including the fashion items for the why-not-just-in-case).

I'll try a few runs doing this before queue and after queue before zoning etc just to check, i've seen weirder "bugs"/fixes so it's worth a shot.
  • quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As a young girl, she had dreams of becoming the first female priest in her town but then the masses were opposed and she felt threatened. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't convince the masses to stop with the threats.

Sooooo.....she found another way to make them non-threatening and love her once again....

ae75e89cbeastripperjp.jpg
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
    edited May 2013
    I run 0/3 Battlewise and i have sooth maxed, and yeah i removed it all (including the fashion items for the why-not-just-in-case).

I'll try a few runs doing this before queue and after queue before zoning etc just to check, i've seen weirder "bugs"/fixes so it's worth a shot.

It's interesting because I run 1/3 for 2% threat reduction I wounder if this trait is allowing for the threat normalization to work. Would be interesting to hear from people that have this fix working for them too see if they have any points in this trait, any any others that find that this fix does not work for them if they have 0/3.
  • bouncynemobouncynemo Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Couldn't you make a standardized test on a single add? have a tank friend tank 1 add, using only mark or an X amount of at-will attacks to generate the same amount of threat each time. let tank buddy get hurt to half life. then burst heal him with the same rotation.

See if you pull less threat (You should be able to pull the add from burst healing him from half life :o)

Profit :O?
  • redeclipzeredeclipze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried this threat fix all day yesterday. It was great how much difference in aggro I saw that I got bored of hardly taking any punishment.
    BiS DC Seyfried - PvP / CN farm (Dragon Server) 1st Degree Burns

twitch.tv/redeclipze
  • hadriax1hadriax1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this "band-aid" does, in fact, work. Then that would certainly mean that there is a problem that needs attention. A pretty serious problem at that. It's still "beta" , so i suppose it's good that this is pointed out to the devs. Now we just have to wait and see (hope) that it will be addressed.
    edited May 2013
    bouncynemo wrote: »
    Couldn't you make a standardized test on a single add? have a tank friend tank 1 add, using only mark or an X amount of at-will attacks to generate the same amount of threat each time. let tank buddy get hurt to half life. then burst heal him with the same rotation.

See if you pull less threat (You should be able to pull the add from burst healing him from half life :o)

Profit :O?

Well the threat normalization works for me, but some people are finding it does not work I have a feeling that it may be due to lack of feats in reduced threat such as 1/3 (2% TR) while 2% should be un-noticable for such a large change, it may be the catalyst that is allowing the normalization to work for users, if users experiancing this fix are using threat reduction traits and users who are unable to get this fix to work are not using the trait then this could be the issue preventing this small bandaid.
  • morfeddmorfedd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know what the problem is... the "fix" forgot to mention that you also need to spin 3 times in place and use the "click your heels" emote 4 times. /sarcasm off