test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tip: How to change to FOV.

Comments

• fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Awesome. Thanks for the tip. Gonna have to remember to do this when I go home tonight. Thanks a ton.
  • viciousnukeviciousnuke Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Was wondering if anyone knows what to change to reduce lag in town... I play higher graphic games in max, but town in Neverwinter is ridiculous, and I even put lowest settings and it doesn't do ****... Im guessing it has something to do with character view count, or max character distance...

if anyone already knows, please post here!
    Vicious@viciousnuke

GWF
  • cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited May 2013
    Don't forget to add this info to our expanding Wiki. Nice find!
  • viciousnukeviciousnuke Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Why not just make the mouse scroll do this though? Lol...
    Vicious@viciousnuke

GWF
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . I was playing at FOV of 80 and it was too much. It totally threw my aiming and depth perception off. I changed it to 65 and it is perfect (for me). Thanks!
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Been getting migraine lately after playing the game for some time... changing the FOV to 75 has removed this issue almost instantly the constant pain and nausea having almost gone away completely now, thanks for this information!
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mewbrey wrote: »
    Been getting migraine lately after playing the game for some time... changing the FOV to 75 has removed this issue almost instantly the constant pain and nausea having almost gone away completely now, thanks for this information!

There was another poster a while back complainging him and his wife were having this issue. Hopefully, they see this and it fixes the problem for them as well.

Would be nice to have the option to change your view via mouse scrolling but I'll take it.
  • iamruneiamrune Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    There was another poster a while back complainging him and his wife were having this issue. Hopefully, they see this and it fixes the problem for them as well.

Would be nice to have the option to change your view via mouse scrolling but I'll take it.

Someone PM them? I saw that too, but I don't remember where the thread was!
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Because this method is better than just adding it as an in game option?
  • bighalsybighalsy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, make it an option. It'd take someone what? 5 minutes to code it? And I'll never understand why so many people have problems with default FOVs in games.
    Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
  • tyestortyestor Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    Because this method is better than just adding it as an in game option?

They won't because they're lazy. <removed per RoC>

type /console in the in game chat. when the console comes up type in gfxSetDefaultFOV 75. Easy, no game restart required and you don't need to change zones.

<removed per RoC>
    Tyestor - Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    tyestor wrote: »
    They won't because they're lazy. <removed per RoC>

type /console in the in game chat. when the console comes up type in gfxSetDefaultFOV 75. Easy, no game restart required and you don't need to change zones.

<removed per RoC>

Your thread OP is located here. In fact, I am merging yours into this one now.

Also, please do not discuss moderator actions on the forums.
  • jikannushijikannushi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Also the ~ tilde key will pull up the console so you dont have to type /console
  • jacktantojacktanto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nice trick now to get out of console again :P
  • priestessleyenapriestessleyena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I used the /console command, and now I can open the console with tilde~, but the issue is.. I use that key for my mount, and now I can't pull out my mount. Does anyone know how to unbind tilde~ from opening the console?

Edit: Nevermind, after I restarted the game tilde~ was no longer opening the console.
  • rasmuseprasmusep Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    it seems that the game now saves this setting? I tried the ingame command and put fov to 70, and now i check the file mentioned in OP and it also says 70.

Quite nice if it saves permanently :)
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is there a way to switch the view to first person? so you see through your guys eyes so to speak?
  • vmetalvmetal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is what i do, Its the next best thing to mouse scrolling. IN game you can bind any key to emotes or the fov change.
    Type in game: /bind 1 gfxsetdefaultfov 40 Now key 1 is bound to fov 40. Then do the same for fov 55 binding the 2 key to 55 which is the default setting in the game. Then I do the same for key 3 binding it to say 75fov. You can bind any keybd key to these and i think you can go as low as 35 and as high as 150?

So in game i can change my fov back and forth with a button press from 40...55...or 75...works like a poor mans scroll...hopefully they will put scrolling in later but this works well enough for now.
  • b1mbleb1mble Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Apologies if such a thing has been posted elsewhere...

Please give me the option to zoom in and out using my mouse.

For those who say you do not need it - due to the combat system employed - I have used this exact system (which is employed by TERA Online) and I am used to being able to zoom in and out.

It's basics.

With the option to use it, those of us who are used to it and want it, we can use it; those who do not or are clueless to its worth, can have the option deselected.

Thanks.
    Let him who desires peace, prepare for war.
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you've changed your FOV or camera height or whatever, go to options and 'Load UI' it'll apply the setting instantly.
  • faethore73faethore73 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you so much for this...I was going to stop playing if I didn't find a way to fix the FOV today after work. I was getting ill after playing for about an hour last night.

Why Dev's continually think they don't need an FOV slider in game is beyond me.
  • kittykaswickkittykaswick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has anyone figured out a way to edit the keybinds to something other then what is offered? I have a naga and i would love to be able to do some binds to keys higher then 6.
  • keterysketerys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /bind <key> "string"
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How would you know what <key> is in /bind <key> "string"?

For example, what if you wanted to bind not the 1 key but the NUMPAD 1 key?

Is there at least something like a bind list? I tried /bindlist but found nothing.

EDIT:

Nevermind. Figured it out.

1. Changed one of the in-game keybind options to a numpad key.

2. /bind_save (saves to \Neverwinter\Live\ent_keybinds.txt).

3. Viewed file in notepad and saw: "Numpad1" as the key.
  • kejser91kejser91 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    I cant find the game in my computer any help lol :l

found out my self was just searching for Neverwinter\Live\Localdata
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i like that we can do this but is there any way to change the height of the camera as that is an issue when too zoomed in miss half of the animations and being an animator myself i appreciated the effort that has gone into them
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • daowacedaowace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Topic got bumped for some reason, so I'll throw in some knowledge.

This is VERTICAL FoV; do not increase it over 65 unless you're using a 4:3 display. Values like 75+ on a 1080p (16:9) display are just stupid.

For 90

Edit: Or my ****ing post could be eaten by the degrees symbol.

Christ's sake, fix this forum software.

16:9 = 59
    16:10 = 65
    4:3 = 74
  • sartorsartor Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still no word on AH and 2 hours to DD :(
  • nyr0xnyr0x Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe I saw a stream with somebody extending their fov, looks a lot better in my opinion, thanks.
  • amaranth79amaranth79 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks a lot for sharing this tip, much appreciated. :)