test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Was that really the only way?

arlandinoarlandino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
We get it... the Ogre maps that people were using to PL were not intended but instead of nerfing those you basically neutered the... entire Foundry?

That was one of the biggest selling points to me and I have shared my excitement with people who I am trying to get to play the game. Why even bother with it at this point? Practically no loot and xp....

I know there have been other threads on this but if anyone seriously thinks that people are going to stick around and participate in an MMORPG where there are no real rewards in game then they are wrong. There has to be xp to gain or the potential for decent loot. If you have neither of these things in a segment of the game that was heavily advertised as what makes it different from the rest of the muck out there then I can promise you that people just won't really care.

All we are left with now is linear content and 10$ bags in the cash shop. (I'm ok with cash shops.. and I didn't even mind doing a Founder's package but to charge people that much money for inventory space is so wrong that it should be illegal)
Post edited by arlandino on

Comments

• Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can still get XP and Loot from Foundry Missions. It just takes longer.

Given the choice between taking "The Scenic Route" through the Foundry or running the core quests on my 4th or 5th character I'll probably be in the foundry, leveling a bit more slowly but enjoying the game just as much.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've only done like two foundry missions myself but this was indeed a horrible, horrible move. When people farm up to 60 through the foundry and get bored because they hit 60 early, it seems to me like they'd be more likely to return to the foundry, being familiar with it and all; giving those who worked hard on their foundry quests the satisfaction of reviews and such from people returning to the foundry. However, this company decided to nerf the entire foundry, taking away any incentives (don't act high and mighty, you know being rewarded is nice) for completing these custom missions, making it so that only those who "want to experience it for the good stories!" will be doing the quests which will end up being a very small part of this game's population.

Now the devs actually have to make content themselves and keep the game regularly updated if they want to keep robbing people with the cash shop and given the reputation of the company, I can't see that happening, ever.
  • Options
    wolfzilvawolfzilva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 167
    edited May 2013
    I always thought of the foundry as something to do endgame when you don't feel like running dungeons not something to do for leveling. So if it doesn't give xp big deal do your daily then go back to questing to get to level 60.
  • Options
    sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I didn't really notice the nerf too much exp-wise, gained a level while doing a 40 min map.
    I know it's really really weird,
    but I like that they give less exp, because then I can explore more foundry quests,
    without being worried about being too overleveled for 'normal' content.

However, nerfing the loot (did they nerf the drops?), I don't like that at all.
    I love drops and loot variety, especially blues,
    having less of them, just for the foundry,
    makes me a bit sad
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They could have made it so you cant place say 3+ ogres in the EXACT same location (a small box) But nah, it's easier to nerf the **** out of ALL of the foundry missions, and lose a good portion of your playerbase. Sounds about right.
  • Options
    wolfzilvawolfzilva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 167
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    They could have made it so you cant place say 3+ ogres in the EXACT same location (a small box) But nah, it's easier to nerf the **** out of ALL of the foundry missions, and lose a good portion of your playerbase. Sounds about right.

I think they did at some point, but it didn't stop people from doing it.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arlandino wrote: »
    We get it... the Ogre maps that people were using to PL were not intended but instead of nerfing those you basically neutered the... entire Foundry?

That was one of the biggest selling points to me and I have shared my excitement with people who I am trying to get to play the game. Why even bother with it at this point? Practically no loot and xp....

I know there have been other threads on this but if anyone seriously thinks that people are going to stick around and participate in an MMORPG where there are no real rewards in game then they are wrong. There has to be xp to gain or the potential for decent loot. If you have neither of these things in a segment of the game that was heavily advertised as what makes it different from the rest of the muck out there then I can promise you that people just won't really care.

All we are left with now is linear content and 10$ bags in the cash shop. (I'm ok with cash shops.. and I didn't even mind doing a Founder's package but to charge people that much money for inventory space is so wrong that it should be illegal)

Of course! Its was the only way. Now we can all ignore those action packed maps and enjoy some truly pretentious Do'Urden DnD fan fics done by "true authors".

Whats not to love about this nerf.
  • Options
    stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Of course! Its was the only way. Now we can all ignore those action packed maps and enjoy some truly pretentious Do'Urden DnD fan fics done buy "true authors".

Best post ever. I reward you with all the internets <3
  • Options
    angpeasant007angpeasant007 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of course! Its was the only way. Now we can all ignore those action packed maps and enjoy some truly pretentious Do'Urden DnD fan fics done by "true authors".

+1000 Internets for you.
  • Options
    chairgraveyard1chairgraveyard1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    arlandino wrote: »

Completely agreed. I am making free content for their game right now, but if this is what I can expect, I and my friends aren't going to be playing this game for long.

The Foundry is basically THE draw for me with this game. In the current state it's in where mobs *rarely* if ever drop anything and whites are the only rewards from the end chest, even from 40+ minute long missions, the game is so utterly and ridiculously broken it's barely even worth booting up.

Why should I and other Foundry authors spend time making content for Cryptic, for free, when they've shown that ridiculous game breaking nerfs are going to be handed down at the drop of a hat?

The Foundry is the lifeblood of longevity in this game. The *HUGE HUGE HUGE* nerfs to xp and loot from Foundry missions is singlehandedly destroying what made this game great.
  • Options
    beamanbrbeamanbr Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Me one week ago: "Dude, you gotta check out this MMO. its got a really cool feature where players can design their own dungeons and quests!"
    Friend: "Wow! Ok downloading!"

Me today: "Uh, well, that was fun, but those home-made quests are like a total waste of time now."
    Friend: "Yeah. next game please!"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    beamanbr wrote: »
    Me one week ago: "Dude, you gotta check out this MMO. its got a really cool feature where players can design their own dungeons and quests!"
    Friend: "Wow! Ok downloading!"

Me today: "Uh, well, that was fun, but those home-made quests are like a total waste of time now."
    Friend: "Yeah. next game please!"

Exactly this. My friend and I were discussing the other night how we'd be playing Neverwinter for years with all the great Foundry content.

Today? We're discussing what game we can move on to, because the Foundry is dead on its feet.

Congratulations on the devs for ruining this game *faster* than ArenaNet ruined GW2 with insane game breaking anti-player nerfs.
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic have always operated with an axe where a scalpel was required, simply because it's easier to be lazy and nerf across the board.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Exactly this. My friend and I were discussing the other night how we'd be playing Neverwinter for years with all the great Foundry content.

Today? We're discussing what game we can move on to, because the Foundry is dead on its feet.

Congratulations on the devs for ruining this game *faster* than ArenaNet ruined GW2 with insane game breaking anti-player nerfs.

So wait you plan on playing Neverwinter for years without hitting Level 60?
  • Options
    vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a case where the player base needs to look at themselves and not the company. It wasn't the company that exploited the foundry and forced the company to have to fix it.
  • Options
    darknight0354darknight0354 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    vatasha wrote: »
    This is a case where the player base needs to look at themselves and not the company. It wasn't the company that exploited the foundry and forced the company to have to fix it.

Actually the company broke it. You can fix it as simply as wow fixed cliff farming. If the mob can't reach you after 5 seconds it resets. That's so ****ing easy to code it's not even funny. It takes 10 minutes. It fixes the ogre farming and keeps people wanting to play the foundry. Now? Now you're going to get rid of another large chunk of playerbase. THe pvp'ers are already leaving. The casuals are leaving. Now the foundry players are going to leave. Honestly it doesn't fix anything. I have one of every class at level 60 already thanks to those foundries. Who gives a **** if I don't want to level the normal way? It doesn't bother you. But hey, go ahead and make a bad game worse.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather watch a Micheal Bay film than "read" some of the "better" foundry missions out there :<
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . I just ran my first UGC again and still seem to be getting decent XP and loot drops. Actually, I am not noticing any change at all in XP and loot drops in my missions.
  • Options
    vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually the company broke it. You can fix it as simply as wow fixed cliff farming. If the mob can't reach you after 5 seconds it resets. That's so ****ing easy to code it's not even funny. It takes 10 minutes. It fixes the ogre farming and keeps people wanting to play the foundry. Now? Now you're going to get rid of another large chunk of playerbase. THe pvp'ers are already leaving. The casuals are leaving. Now the foundry players are going to leave. Honestly it doesn't fix anything. I have one of every class at level 60 already thanks to those foundries. Who gives a **** if I don't want to level the normal way? It doesn't bother you. But hey, go ahead and make a bad game worse.

Maybe what should of been done instead of abusing the system was reporting the bugs however exploiting the system caused this backlash from the company. It is one of the reasons you never do get good games.
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather watch a Micheal Bay film than "read" some of the "better" foundry missions out there :<

Let's not go nuts here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . I just ran my first UGC again and still seem to be getting decent XP and loot drops. Actually, I am not noticing any change at all in XP and loot drops in my missions.

I ran "I am slayer" a few times to test got half the exp and nothing but whites :<

Have to admit thats one of the few really good mishes >_>
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well we haven't even mentioned the fact that they nerfed *all* NPC kill exp, including the normal open zones. I used to see a pixel or two movement when killing normal monsters, now its like 20 exp (out of 90,000) for a monster that takes 15 seconds to kill. So basically you're now trying to avoid agro at all costs and just do the quests.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So... You're saying that ALL XP gain rates were lowered but it only ruined the Foundry?

*boggles*

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if Cryptic REALLY wants you to take X ammount of time to earn X ammount of loot/exp, then... they should make the time spent since last kill be what loot/exp is based on, instead of what was killed.

some things are simply harder to kill for some builds/players, while they are easy for others. (if it's hard = high loot, easy = low loot, simple concept, so base loot on how long it takes the player to kill it, with a multiple based on what damage the hostile is able to do to the player)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well we haven't even mentioned the fact that they nerfed *all* NPC kill exp, including the normal open zones. I used to see a pixel or two movement when killing normal monsters, now its like 20 exp (out of 90,000) for a monster that takes 15 seconds to kill. So basically you're now trying to avoid agro at all costs and just do the quests.

WOW just WOW. I think this sums up the situation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_GeQR8fJo
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's a great idea, but it's a lot harder to implement. Especially since a character could put two ogres on a map and AFK for 6 hours alt-tabbing back to the game to fiddle with professions, then kill the second Ogre for massive XP.

-Rachel-
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    At this point, I'm sort of assuming they did this as a temporary fix, until they have time to address it more fully. I'm frankly amazed that this hasn't come up in previous betas.

It doesn't make sense; They panic because people are hitting 60 too fast, and will therefore get bored quicker and stop playing. However this is the first day out of five that I'm no longer excited to play... I have free time right now but don't really want to log in. I'm only 49 but considering not playing any more anyway. Catch 22 for them I guess, but I really don't like the ham-handed "fix" here.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    :mad:
  • Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    steampunky wrote: »
    It's a great idea, but it's a lot harder to implement. Especially since a character could put two ogres on a map and AFK for 6 hours alt-tabbing back to the game to fiddle with professions, then kill the second Ogre for massive XP.

-Rachel-

Don't think you're envisioning it quite the way I would. The idea is not to put some kind of ever-growing XP pool on any given creature that just keeps on ticking up and up and up as the clock ticks. Your Ogre (and every creature) would have an XP value -- call it 'Full XP' that would be the most you'd ever award for killing that creature. If you take at least X seconds to kill it after whatever your last kill was, you get the 'Full XP' award. If you kill faster, you get some lesser level.

That means you're still only going to get a fixed reward at max, and someone who AFKs for an hour between kills is only going to waste the better part of an hour (or six). In this way, the devs can set the figures of 'Full XP' and how many seconds it takes to reach it at whatever rate they feel is their 'optimum goal' for advancement speed.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    professor411professor411 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At this point, I'm sort of assuming they did this as a temporary fix, until they have time to address it more fully. I'm frankly amazed that this hasn't come up in previous betas.

It doesn't make sense; They panic because people are hitting 60 too fast, and will therefore get bored quicker and stop playing. However this is the first day out of five that I'm no longer excited to play... I have free time right now but don't really want to log in. I'm only 49 but considering not playing any more anyway. Catch 22 for them I guess, but I really don't like the ham-handed "fix" here.

I feel the same way. I'm level 43 and I'm hoping it was only temporary, so I will log in to check a foundry quest each day and keep checking the forums daily. If it's not changed within a week, or if we don't at least get word that it will be changed, sadly I don't think it ever will be. If this is the case I will definitely be moving on to other games. I've done some story quests and dungeons and some foundry quests to fill in the xp gaps, and I was really looking forward to trying some of the longer ones at level 60. And I don't even want to think about leveling an alt and being forced to do the terrible story line quests again.