test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I bad at tanking or is tanking bad in this game?

misterlazmisterlaz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Let me preface this by saying I just hit level 20, so there is possibly a lot that I have yet to unlock and figure out. If this is a matter of me just not having a proper tanking toolkit, please let me know so that I have something to look forward to. As it stands, I'm considering changing classes to something that doesn't frustrate me so much.

That being said... I come from many many years of tanking in other MMO games, and in this game, it frustrates the hell out of me. In every game I've tanked in, there is this paradigm that the tank holds aggro on as much as he can so that the rest of the group doesn't get their faces eaten off and giving the healer a primary target to focus on healing. You turn on your tank stance, you do <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor DPS but lots of threat, and all the enemies attack you so that the entire group doesn't die.

This game seems to try to shift that paradigm so as that you do <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor DPS and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor threat UNLESS you have a target marked and are ALWAYS blocking. Sure, you can press R (or whatever you have it bound to) in order to AoE taunt, but that only lasts a few seconds. As soon as your block meter runs out, the mob you had marked forgets you even exist and goes and beats on some random schmo.

Unless a target is marked, this game seemingly has no concept of threat whatsoever. I'm duoing with a friend who is playing a cleric, and she is constantly getting all the aggro despite me doing my best to use my primary attack (which cleaves) and my AoE (first "daily" ability). But despite the fact that I am a tank and have AoE's the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of enemies, they always ignore me and go straight for other party members.

The only thing I have figured out how to successfully tank is ONE target. If he's solo (like a boss) that's fine, but if he has adds or something, I can't do anything to get them to hit me and ignore the rest of the group.

So -- am I bad at tanking, or is this game trying to stray away from the tank having the focus of every enemy there is?
Post edited by misterlaz on

Comments

• slayer7111slayer7111 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2013
    at lvl 35 you get a skill called " Threatening Rush".
    this skill is a "at will" skill wich charges you to the mob(gap closer with 0 cd), in addition to the dmg u do to the mob u are targeting, you also mark all the mobs that are next to this mob.
    tho you are right, tanking in this game is not so balanced.
    i dont understand why the aoe taunt can hit only 5 mobs and why Frontline Surg can hit only 3 mobs while cw can hit all the mobs in his range with no limits(wich makes it impossible to take aggro whith big spawns).
    btw, at lvl 20 i dont know why u are saying poor *** dmg, with my guardian till lvl 40 i was in the top 2 in most dmg and always number 1 in dmg taken...at low lvls guardian is basicly a god...its getting harder at higher lvls.
  • gravityx19gravityx19 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    At level 20, you are missing some of the base tools that will help you in end game tanking, but the above person is correct. Once you hit 35 (where tanking truly starts to matter) Threatening Rush combined with Mark and the passive that makes Mark generate threat will make your tanking live so much easier. Also what you may need to realize is the following (said this many times):

- Guardian is a bit lackluster at the earlier instances and zones. What I would suggest doing is not focusing on trying to tank everything, but tanking the mobs with the grey border on their HP or the big *** looking mobs. The small trash will get AoE'd down without issue and should be able to be face tanked by anyone (including your cleric). Once I started to learn this and focus on this, the instances became so much easier to deal with.
    Griff Hawk - Hybrid GF - Beholder Shard
    Griffeth - GW Fighter - Beholder Shard
    Twitch - WoW and NWO Gameplay - YouTube Channel
    GF/GWF Gameplay Highlights/Dungeon Runs
  • blu3bawlsblu3bawls Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One of the best things I have read so far in the forums (and not sure if it's good or not) is this....

GF - Tanks Boss
    TR - Dmg on boss
    CW - controls adds
    GWF - kills adds
    Cleric obviously keeps everyone alive.

This to me seems perfect in dungeons. As to your statement for running your duo or even solo, It's hard to keep every mob off your party. Almost impossible it seems. I am still low level GF so I feel your pain. But like Slayer said, I'm either #1 or #2 in damage given and ALWAYS #1 in damage taken. Plus, if you have aggro on other mobs and one is attacking your cleric, just focus on the mob on your cleric. you can take tons of damage. Just takes time to get used to. And once you do get used to it, it's really fun to play and you can start controlling mobs a little better.
  • misterlazmisterlaz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, so it is the design choice by the developers to have the tank just tank the big badarse while the little guys are DPS'd down. Just a hard thing to grasp since I've been so accustomed to AoE tanking EVERYTHING in other games.

Thanks for the responses, guys.
  • electronaughtelectronaught Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The class feels a lot more like the Tanker from City of Heroes. My tanker would hold aggro on the main guy and maybe the two henchman while the controllers take care of the minions. I play a GF and a cleric so I get to see from both sides and I think a lot of the issues tanks and healers have is a lack of players doing their share of crowd control. Probably need a patch too but who doesn't.
  • misterlazmisterlaz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Funny you mention City of Heroes and the tanks being like the Tanker class in that game. I totally agree, and to be quite honest, everything about this game feels City of Heroes to me. I really really really believe that this game is built on the CoH engine (being as how both were developed by Cryptic) with some minor improvements, but generally everything being left the same.

If that's the case, it's a shame that all the armor looks the same. I'm level 20 and I still look like I'm level 1.

But that's a huge tangent from this thread and a topic for another time/forum.
  • reskalreskal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed - the GF's job is to tank the main adds / boss the best he can. If some adds get away from you, that's to be expected, especially for the littler ones.

The problem comes in when you have a GF, 3 rogues, and 1 GWF for a dungeon. I've been queued like that more than once. It gets really ugly really fast. Balanced groups with one of each class are ideal.
  • m00loom00loo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank Goodness I found this thread. I was beginning to think I was unable to grasp how to tank effectively in this game. I'm nearly level 30 and I was seriously starting to wonder if I could ever hold threat on anything. Even on the bosses in skirmishes/dungeons I eventually lose aggro to the DPS (curse those tricky rogues) despite my efforts to keep it marked and using all my single target moves on it.

I feel much better now! :-)
  • nukwastenukwaste Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, no kidding. I just did the L25 dungeon with 2x GWF and 2x TRs and I just told them, "I'm going to hold aggro on the toughest guy everyone burn everything else until he's the only one left." I felt like such a pitiful tank but if I do manage to hold more than 1 or 2 guys, they just break my guard and then I really become worthless. It seems like I just grab the big guy and manage guard while everyone else just melts face on the adds.

I really hope we get some more tools in the future, because right now I feel like the boss babysitter. "Hey guys I'm going to take this mob and go stand in a corner until you all kill everything else!"
  • ahyessdeeephahyessdeeeph Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Plain and simple: Guardian Fighters are the worst class in this game, and by far the worst tanking class ever made.

I won't go on a long rant, but it's true. They're absolutely useless in this game.
  • aldemmaldemm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I'm sure the fighter class sucking in a game based on the DnD ruleset is no surprise to anyone. Consequently, the most optimal groups for tier 2 are the ones with just clerics and wizards.
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Did you not see that guy's post? The GF's job and only job is to tank the boss. The rest handle the adds on the cleric.
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic did make City of Heroes after all. They use the concept of a tank for big adds/bosses and a controller to handle the other stuff.

It's a lot more interesting system to me than just DPS/tank/healer.
  • riotsirenriotsiren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    misterlaz wrote: »
    Funny you mention City of Heroes and the tanks being like the Tanker class in that game.
    Actually they play nothing alike, in-fact tanks in CoH basically perma taunted everything around them, had extra AoE agro generation on all their attacks, and a 5 mob taunt on a extremely short cooldown. Hell and that was after they nerfed taunt which used to have no target limit, CoH tanks where absurd. GW is immensely different

The game isn't like CoH at all. Champions online however is somewhat similar to this game, and I am fairly positive Champions and Neverwinter run on the same engine. I have a feeling you are getting those two messed up, the tanks where kind of akward in CO.
  • acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    City of Heroes didn't launch with Tanks being massive aggro magnets; in fact they were pretty terrible at holding threat initially. When CoH launched, you needed to constantly spam zero-damage taunt powers to hold aggro. This was changed - but only much later, by a later team of devs.

Tanks do have threat/aggro holding issues in Champions Online. It had more or less settled into a decent state after a while, but then they put out big combat system changes with the Free-to-Play transition and broke it again. You can make any attack a taunt ability in Champions Online, by slapping an advantage on it - but then you need to make sure you spam those suckers. And even then you'll have issues keeping aggro off the DPSers.

Let's not even talk about tanking in Star Trek Online. It exists as a concept in space combat, but again you have to really really work at it, by basically flying around and desperately AoE'ing everything.

So it's pretty clear that the core Cryptic team that has worked on all three games isn't really keen on the AoE aggro glue-ball style of tanking. I'm of mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, my job's a lot harder as a Guardian Fighter. On the other hand, it's probably more engaging.
  • adventironcastadventironcast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aldemm wrote: »
    Well I'm sure the fighter class sucking in a game based on the DnD ruleset is no surprise to anyone. Consequently, the most optimal groups for tier 2 are the ones with just clerics and wizards.

Pretty much accurate. Bosses in this game revolve around controlling and killing their adds, alone they are very non-threatening.

To be honest, anyone can take a boss into a corner and tank it just fine. It's silly, but it's possible because the bosses themselves are very slow and telegraphed, so it's easy to recognize when they are going to do something dangerous and dodge away. It's unfortunate, but this causes other classes to become more desirable because they bring more to the table then simply tanking the least threatening element of a boss encounter.

I didn't mean to rant, but it's just the present reality. The durability of the class is there but the overall ability to manipulate enemies isn't, and to be completely honest, you're lot in life shouldn't be limited to just tanking 1 element of a boss encounter; and you certainly shouldn't be second class citizens when it comes to agro.
  • riotsirenriotsiren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    acylion wrote: »
    City of Heroes didn't launch with Tanks being massive aggro magnets; in fact they were pretty terrible at holding threat initially. When CoH launched, you needed to constantly spam zero-damage taunt powers to hold aggro. This was changed - but only much later, by a later team of devs.
    Actually the changes to taunt at the very least, which made it AoE where made rather early and under cryptic, believe me I used to heard entire maps into death corners. When they nerfed that and put a cap on it they gave all tanks AoE aggro toggles, this was also under cryptic. I think the only other major change to tanks taunt in CoH was the addition of gauntlet which I can't remember if that was under Paragon or Cryptic, and at that point it wasn't really necessarily.

Of course I could be getting some of the exact details wrong, it's been years, but basically all I am saying is the Aggro magnet tanks in that game where made under Cryptic's watch.
  • batubabatuba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    blu3bawls wrote: »
    One of the best things I have read so far in the forums (and not sure if it's good or not) is this....

GF - Tanks Boss
    TR - Dmg on boss
    CW - controls adds
    GWF - kills adds

This to me seems perfect in dungeons. As to your statement for running your duo or even solo, It's hard to keep every mob off your party. Almost impossible it seems. I am still low level GF so I feel your pain. But like Slayer said, I'm either #1 or #2 in damage given and ALWAYS #1 in damage taken. Plus, if you have aggro on other mobs and one is attacking your cleric, just focus on the mob on your cleric. you can take tons of damage. Just takes time to get used to. And once you do get used to it, it's really fun to play and you can start controlling mobs a little better.

Lemme correct this for you if you don't mind!

GF - Helps control adds (there is no reason to tank bosses, they have no auto attacks to make a tank necesary. TR can avoid the dmg
    where as the GF has to sit there and block (take dmg if guard breaks)
    TR - Damages and TANKS boss
    CW - Controls and kills Adds
    GWF - Kills adds
    Cleric - Heals and kites in large circles
  • slayer7111slayer7111 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2013
    agree.
    most bosses have at list 3 aoe attacks with at list 2 seconds cast time, every one can just see it and move away from the red circle.
    their auto attacks are very weak, on my gf i find auto attks of bosses hit me for no mroe then 300 dmg, this is a joke.
    their strong auto attacks are slow as hell and everyone can avoide them.

IMO tanks should be able to help the team by absorbing most of the incoming dmg, tanks shouldn't be able to do 1 thing in the whole dungeon which is tanking 2-3 bosses and when there are no bosses, feel totaly useless(and even in the boss fights u do nothing but moving and avoiding the boss dmg).
    they should do somthing or we will find GF a totaly useless class at the high GC runs.

edit:
    i must say...GF is an extremly fun class.
    as a main tank in every game that i played, i find tanking in this game VERY FUN, but when u cant really convert all this fun to usefulness, its a problem.

and sry for the bad english
  • icy8sicy8s Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tanking is definitely not easy in this game. I consider my most important job is to protect my cleric. Dps can usually hamdle themselves. I will say that our job gets lots easier when we get threatening rush and frontline surge. Also one thing to keep in mind that you may not know. Regular attacks are useless outside of dmg. To generate threat always use the block stab. Good suggestion would be to check out guardianfighter.com the guy that created the site has a very good write up.
  • diyasi9000diyasi9000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tend to disagree for high level content. More often than not, it works better for my groups if I tank the boss as a GWF. Maximizing the group's total damage output by removing the need to run to all the adds, and most bosses, even in T1 epic dungeons, are easy enough that I can tank them with just potions. The GF class has way more mobility than GWF, more CC, and can even force mobs off a healer for a few seconds with an AoE taunt if things get real bad. All I can do as a GWF is hold down the right mouse button and hope I kill the adds before they kill our healer. Or pop an encounter power, that I normally don't slot because it doesn't benefit my damage output much, that pulls all the mobs to me, and then they turn around and go have fun with the healer again.

It may sound unorthodox to have a dps class tank the boss, but with a 0 cooldown charge that can mark multiple targets, and that AoE taunt, GF's are WAY better suited to pulling adds off the healer, probably the best at it besides a CW.
  • silentiltmsilentiltm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 234 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    misterlaz wrote: »
    Let me preface this by saying I just hit level 20, so there is possibly a lot that I have yet to unlock and figure out. If this is a matter of me just not having a proper tanking toolkit, please let me know so that I have something to look forward to. As it stands, I'm considering changing classes to something that doesn't frustrate me so much.

I gave up reading here. You aren't even into your paragon yet. Please don't waste time posting these type of threads until you've developed your character. Attention Deficit Disorder anyone?

Go play a rogue.
  • chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    diyasi9000 wrote: »
    I tend to disagree for high level content. More often than not, it works better for my groups if I tank the boss as a GWF. Maximizing the group's total damage output by removing the need to run to all the adds, and most bosses, even in T1 epic dungeons, are easy enough that I can tank them with just potions. The GF class has way more mobility than GWF, more CC, and can even force mobs off a healer for a few seconds with an AoE taunt if things get real bad. All I can do as a GWF is hold down the right mouse button and hope I kill the adds before they kill our healer. Or pop an encounter power, that I normally don't slot because it doesn't benefit my damage output much, that pulls all the mobs to me, and then they turn around and go have fun with the healer again.

It may sound unorthodox to have a dps class tank the boss, but with a 0 cooldown charge that can mark multiple targets, and that AoE taunt, GF's are WAY better suited to pulling adds off the healer, probably the best at it besides a CW.

Depends on the boss.

Depends on the group.

Some bosses really dont need a *tank* on them at all. Some your better off putting a tank on adds. Generally in Pugs I'll tank the boss and as many *strong* adds as I can grab. This is B/C I know I can hold the boss and not die. In a group of friends we take it on a boss by boss basis. Some I tank all the time, some I aggro then get on adds, some I let others tank and just deal with adds. Its not as clear cut as Tank > Boss, DPS > Add or the other way around.
  • xilinearxilinear Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is so simple really. Keep the cleric alive, keep the dps alive, otherwise dps your heart out. Prioritize saving the cleric first. There is NO point, really NO point standing in front of a boss for the duration of a fight.

All the GF that fail at doing their job are the kind that want to sit tight in a corner with all the mobs and the boss on them and dont move. If that what you were intending to do, well, you rolled the wrong class my friend.

And as many have said, tanking (how I hate using this word for what the GF role is, because it is NOT tanking) in this game is about mobility, interception, stunning/knocking back at the right moment, saving taunts for when the boss summons a gazzillion adds that have nothing in mind than to feast on your white clothed cleric and have the wizards as desert.

Forget about saving the rogues and the GWF, they can handle themselves well and get out of trouble, focus on keeping the adds/boss away from the cleric so that he can do his job and nothing can stop your party!

Edit: I just wanted to add, that there is no ammount of heals or gear that can save you from getting insta gibbed if you have 20+ adds on you. You are simply not supposed to tank in this game, you are supposed to be a guardian!
  • hq33hq33 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Building threat on a few mobs (yes, all your AoE abilities are very limited) depend strongly on ...
    - DPS cc'ing and focusing down small adds
    - you cleric not running towards you if newly spawned adds come his way
    - tanking pets not drawing aggro from mobs so that you can keep stuff bunched up
    - nobody knocking mobs out of your melee range just because they feel like it

So, yes. Tanking is a mess.
    And why the TAB-Mark gets removed as soon as you get hit is beyond me, it basicly makes it the least useful 'class ability' in the game. I'd rather have another encounter ability slot on my guardian any day of the week. : P
  • frankenbeanzfrankenbeanz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, I agree mostly, or with some things that everyone here has said (with the exception of a few).

Having tanked in several other mmo's over the years, and having tanked in this one at 60 in epic dungeons....most of what folks are saying here is accurate (even when they seem to be contradicting one another).

So, some observations. I have some ideas for solutions at the end, if you want to skip all the reading.

Threat is clearly an issue. The GF has such limited threat generation that it can barely be called a tank. Yeah, they function better as a body guard to the party than a true tank. Clerics generate massive aoe threat, rogues generate massive single target threat, and the GF has some backwards threat mechanics; not the least of which is how the mark functions. Why does the mark generate threat until you get hit? If the idea of the GF is to tank....and you can place marks (single or aoe) that help with threat but then go away as soon as you take damage....then what's the point of the mark? If the GF's role is to take the dmg so the group doesn't...why give their main threat abilities the effect of going away the instant they get dmg'd by mobs? Like a taunt that only works as long as you're not attacked.....a taunt that only works when it doesn't work....ie, mark is broken.

As far as the view of classic aoe threat magnet....that is a more old school rigid way of thinking. I do like that newer mmo's are moving towards dps and healers having to look after themselves more rather than relying on that 1 dude to make or break the fight (though arguably healers in most other mmo's have had to still look after themselves anyway). That said, the GF can tank groups of stuff....sometimes. Enforced threat is good for that, but doesn't last long enough to truly be a viable group tanking ability on it's own.

Knight's Valor should theoretically help, but it doesn't....it's most useful as a supplement to the cleric aoe heal/shield (for those unfamiliar, at 3 ranks it can redirect 50% of the party's dmg to the GF 50% of the time if always used on c/d). The paragon tree spec for it increases the GF's dmg resist by 5% when using it and increases dmg and threat of Enforced Threat, so those 2 together help with party survivability. KV it supposed to generate threat based on a portion of dmg that was redirected; but the issue is that the cleric aoe heal/shield mitigates so much dmg most of the time, that enough is never redirected to the GF to help with threat for diddly squat. Again, it's more like a bodyguard ability....and supplements the cleric aoe, especially since it is party wide rather than a circle, so people outside the cleric circle can still get some protection.

Then there's the shield stab at will. Ok, this one works to a degree....you repeatedly stab a single target (or group if you can get mobs close enough together) and you can hold aggro pretty well. Until you have to move. Or until your guard breaks. Which is every 3-5 seconds in a boss fight. Most epic dungeon bosses have some really big hits that if you try to eat will break the guard in 1-2 hits, then you can't stab and the boss faces the rogue or cleric and proceeds to puke out aoe's. So then you try to move instead....and stop stabbing....and you lose threat and the boss turns on the cleric or rogue etc etc. Another semi broken tanking mechanic. More useful if you can get trash grouped up using enforced threat, then stab the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of it and hold trash to keep them off the cleric while it's dps'd.

So, the GF has a bit of an identity crisis. Is it a tank or not? Is it a bodyguard or not? If it's a tank it needs to have way more threat generation, at least for a single target. If it's a body guard, it needs more ability to keep groups of trash off the party. Still though, this is beta, and the point of beta is to address issues like this (hopefully).

So, some solutions:
    1) Replace the stupid mark ability with some kind of a real taunt. Something that when used in conjunction with dmg can help generate enough threat to at least hold a single target. That way you can at least tank a boss and not have to worry about losing threat the moment you try to face him or reposition. Or at least make it so the mark lasts a predetermined time regardless, and doesn't cancel on dmg. A tank that loses threat the moment it's attacked is a totally broken tank mechanic.
    2) Take the heroic feat that increases threat by 5/10/15% and change it to something like 25/50/75% threat, so the GF can actually generate threat. This alone would have a huge impact on functionality, and at the same time not result in any drastic changes to the class mechanics.
    3) Change the Knight's Valor so that instead of generating threat based on a portion of redirected dmg, it generates threat by redirecting a portion of the threat from each protected target. That way it can "leech" threat from a target, or prevent them from generating as much threat, and at the same time help the GF build threat. Just enough so that when used in conjunction with other abilities the GF can hold threat on at least a reasonable portion of the mobs.
  • dhl17dhl17 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    silentiltm wrote: »
    I gave up reading here. You aren't even into your paragon yet. Please don't waste time posting these type of threads until you've developed your character. Attention Deficit Disorder anyone?

Go play a rogue.

I don't think you really know what ADD is =(. Notice that he ponders his frustration and is seeking an outside perspective to understand himself and the class. Unlike you, who already "gave up" reading, he has the patience and wisdom to ponder and figure out why. If anything, your lack of ability keep on reading because of your frustration, and your decision to give up on him to turn your attention to another topic, is closer to the definition of ADD than the OP's behavior.

In other words, don't be a jerk because he seems like a nice guy! =)
  • dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    blu3bawls wrote: »

GF - Tanks Boss
    TR - Dmg on boss
    CW - controls adds
    GWF - kills adds

This is pretty much spot on, But random queue is anything but perfect....

3 Rogues, Tank, GWF
    2 CW, Rogue, GWF, Tank

and so on...
  • krnefraikrnefrai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Scares me seeing these threads, I have a lvl 21 (barely) GF, and love it...ran the two instances I can a few times, and it's been smooth, but of course these are expected to be easy/training dungeons. I just hope GF is viable in the future, I grabbed a tank for my main in this game, specifically because I wanted to be a useful class (not that DPS aren't useful of course, but there is always an over abundance of DPS players in MMOs). Now I'm wondering if I should focus on my Wizard or Rogue. This is the first time I've gone into an MMO maining a tank, and all I hear from people is they are useless x( lol.

I also must assume that if they are underpowered, Crytpic will be tweaking the classes over time anyway.
  • koijukoiju Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just wanted to comment on the discussion of tanks not being needed.

While it may be true that in the lower levels, there isnt a huge need for a tank to tank the boss, this becomes far less so at higher levels.

I recently did the mad dragon dungeon, and holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that boss NEEDS a tank to hold its aggro. I was holding its attention for ages, down to about 1.5 of its health, and then another large group of ads spawned, I though id make it easier on the healer by grabbing the big pit fiend guy as well as the dragon, this was a mistake, I couldn't handle that much DPS and went down, little within 1 minute (we'd been fighting this boss for 10 mins) they were all dead, they couldn't handle the dragons AoEs, you need a tank for that :P

I'm enjoying the tanking though, I like that its different, its very tactical, I have to know just how much I can tank and to keep there AoEs away from the group