test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maintenance Schedule

Comments

• Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    The racism is strong with this one...

You clearly do not understand racism
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is just a thought but here are a few reasons why maint may be done during pwe business hours only:

1) It's possible some of the techs are not salaried and that middle of the night would result in overtime (not likely but possible)

2) Waking dev's in the middle of the night interrupts sleep rhythms and makes the devs less productive and more prone to mistakes, work day maint is therefore less likely to have mistakes or problems.
  • Options
    gottneverwintergottneverwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    This is just a thought but here are a few reasons why maint may be done during pwe business hours only:

1) It's possible some of the techs are not salaried and that middle of the night would result in overtime (not likely but possible)

2) Waking dev's in the middle of the night interrupts sleep rhythms and makes the devs less productive and more prone to mistakes, work day maint is therefore less likely to have mistakes or problems.

Just to be clear, I'm not here complaining about this one hour downtime right now. This is during business hours.

I don't agree with the four hour downtime from 8-12 on a Saturday evening, however. And that's not during normal business hours.
  • Options
    cesarvonsalatcesarvonsalat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sgsteihl wrote: »
    Ok.. Rant time! I know this game is new, and in an "Open Beta" that should be called a Soft Release, as people are spending real money on it, and calling it a Beta is just a justification to not hold the game to Release Standards by us, or by reviewers. So far I've coped with all of this quite nicely. Being a Free-To-Play game, I understand all the gimmicks in it to make money for PWE and Cryptic, but this Maintenance almost every morning is a bit <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

If you're going to do maintenance so often, make YOUR staff come in at like 2 a.m. to do it. There's already so much talk of this game being a failure, about it being "pay-to-win" (though it's more pay to get there quicker) that you really don't need to be alienating your customer base this early on, just sayin'!

Firstly i am not sure what country your from clearly the center of the universe in your mind no matter what time they bring it down it will impact some part of there customer base, be glad that your mornings are not your prime time like it is for us here.

Secondly I work as a sys admin/dba and work insane hrs with 24/7 on call and would not wish it on anyone so please don't demand that there techs lose even more of what little family life they probably get because you believe your entitled to your morning mmo session.

Thridly would you rather the game is not patched server hardware is not replaced and updated, database patching does not take place and just end up with crashed databases weekly roll backs item loss ? no sounds **** don't it, its required its expected and id rather a planned outage any-day.

Lastly if you have spent over a decade in IT then i thought you would have grasped this notion "just sayin"
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    You clearly do not understand racism

I do in fact, and yes this would be more of regionism but thats not an actual word.

Paraphrasing here " The game goes down when I sleep, whoever lives outside of the same country and stop crying about it or find something else to play that will of course be of lower quality because it is made for foreigners"

Yup...pretty racist there. Thinking that people outside of your country have no right to complain because its when you get to sleep and it doesnt effect you.
  • Options
    leyeguingleyeguing Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ok, :S i dont know
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I do in fact, and yes this would be more of regionism but thats not an actual word.

Paraphrasing here " The game goes down when I sleep, whoever lives outside of the same country and stop crying about it or find something else to play that will of course be of lower quality because it is made for foreigners"

Yup...pretty racist there. Thinking that people outside of your country have no right to complain because its when you get to sleep and it doesnt effect you.

Lol, it's intellectually dishonest to "paraphrase" someone's quote when accusing of them of racisim and expect to be taken seriously. Second, there is nothing racist in his statement according to every definition. You do a giant dis-service to those that actually were or are victims of racism by claiming this. Ignorant
  • Options
    myklrmyklr Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh no! An hour a day????? Every day???? At the same time each day is... well, actually...consistent and responsible.
  • Options
    fatherblackwoodfatherblackwood Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I, for one, am glad for the maintenance.

I think some people get a little too involved with playing these games...they're usually the ones who feel the need to rant over petty things such as ZEN store prices, the fairness of having a tiny sliver of downtime during the day, etc.

If you feel the need to have instance gratification in every facet of your gaming life; I feel the need to let you down gently by telling you, "You're never going to find an MMO that is right for you."

Companies have to make money, they have to provide routine maintenance at a time of their choosing and ultimately the world will keep on spinning...if not, the game will eventually close and you'll move on to another MMO you can whine about not being Burger King.

My advice? Go outside every now and again...and quit trying to "beat" an MMO.
  • Options
    pearofanguishpearofanguish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I am glad for the regular maintenance. I hate buggy, rubber banding, {pick an issue}, game play more than I hate a forced potty break.
    Ignore me.... 90% of the time I dont care, 10% of the time I am indifferent....
    21.jpg
  • Options
    name114name114 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Huh? You mad? It says: We dont have to hide we are actually working our asses off to upgrade, fix and make sure the game gets to the point where it wont be called beta anymore.
  • Options
    maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    most of the good games MMO such as EVE, WOW, GW2 ETC have their maintenance times during midnight or a bit later than that (1 - 2 hours)

why are we not doing the same? seriously ****ing hate it when I get too early in the morning and BOOM maintenance or even at 8pm lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lazzerchickenlazzerchicken Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OMG THIS MAINTANCE!!!!!!!

GIEF BAK MOI MONEY !!!!!!!

Oh wait nvm....
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just to be clear, I'm not here complaining about this one hour downtime right now. This is during business hours.

I don't agree with the four hour downtime from 8-12 on a Saturday evening, however. And that's not during normal business hours.
    From my understanding that was an emergency maint that was done because of all the server crashing that was taking down both nwo and sto
  • Options
    areanna2areanna2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sgsteihl wrote: »
    A global game with servers and staff based in the US and I'm willing to bet a major part of their Demographic is North American. Just sayin'.

So what does not entitle us to anything just because we "might" have a slightly larger presence in players that are from the us?

They need to actually change up the maintenance times a bit more to balance it, as it seems our international sisters and brothers always get the short end of the stick!
  • Options
    caleshhcaleshh Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    OP quit being an ***. Everyone has different prime times. Evidently you have never played a MMO release whether you call it beta or soft launch or whatever. Your statements is full of "We's" and "Us's"....its just YOU. At least its only been an hour a day on average except for the computer crashes that have occurred late. That is a very very short period of time for a game that has been out (er..softly launched) for a couple weeks. Consider yourself lucky. If it happens to be during YOUR prime time than welcome to world of MMO's. If you are so inclined then by all means create your own game or work in the industry and you will feel the pain real quick guaranteed.
  • Options
    caleshhcaleshh Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    areanna2 wrote: »
    So what does not entitle us to anything just because we "might" have a slightly larger presence in players that are from the us?

They need to actually change up the maintenance times a bit more to balance it, as it seems our international sisters and brothers always get the short end of the stick!

nicely put areanna2. Seems to me that our international community is getting shafted more than anyone else. if you consider the societal norm for "prime time".
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    most of the good games MMO such as EVE, WOW, GW2 ETC have their maintenance times during midnight or a bit later than that (1 - 2 hours)

why are we not doing the same? seriously ****ing hate it when I get too early in the morning and BOOM maintenance or even at 8pm lol.

Seriously?? OMG, the game is global, they can't do that. When it's midnight at your place it's not midnight at the otherside of the globe.
  • Options
    stsimeonstsimeon Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    D3 is down for 8 Hours. It could be worse.
  • Options
    graysantgraysant Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One hour of your day........ Really
    Don't duck with me
  • Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find it hilarious that people complain that the game "Isn't in Beta" as a reason to complain about Beta Patching.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't agree with the four hour downtime from 8-12 on a Saturday evening, however.
    The day before that all the servers crashed at around that time. The day before that all the servers crashed at around that time. The maintenance you're referring to clearly wasn't preferable for Cryptic/PWE as the weekends are "Prime Time" for everybody, but it was also clearly necessary.
    "Foreign" is not a race.
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    steampunky wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that people complain that the game "Isn't in Beta" as a reason to complain about Beta Patching.

-Rachel-
    That's not really the case. PWE just slap "Open Beta" on everything to reduce responsibility and generate excitement amongst those that go "Errmahgerd beta!".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    "Foreign" is not a race.

And if we want to get technical we are all the human race, Black white red yellow we are all the human race and so the term would be ethnist. Alas that again is not a word.
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And if we want to get technical we are all the human race, Black white red yellow we are all the human race and so the term would be ethnist. Alas that again is not a word.
    The closest correct term is probably xenophobia :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    cubansyruscubansyrus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17
    edited May 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    Lol, it's intellectually dishonest to "paraphrase" someone's quote when accusing of them of racisim and expect to be taken seriously. Second, there is nothing racist in his statement according to every definition. You do a giant dis-service to those that actually were or are victims of racism by claiming this. Ignorant

racism is a word used by those who feel hard done by most, its over used, over read into racism is mostly an excuse or a 1-up or ammo
  • Options
    lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I believe that the word you're looking for is "chauvinism", especially in its original connotation.

Lottie
  • Options
    sgsteihlsgsteihl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    It's kind of funny how I started with a post saying "I know this is a rant" and you guys have taken it so far away from the fact that I was just unhappy with downtime everyday so far. You've carried it to racism, which was predictable. What a little social experiment in the interweb can be. Enjoy Neverwinter guys! And remind me not to post opinions before I've had my coffee!
  • Options
    infinityzeroduninfinityzerodun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh it'll calm down, wait it out a few it'll die down once they've got control of it all.
  • Options
    mimiirumimiiru Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    Seriously?? OMG, the game is global, they can't do that. When it's midnight at your place it's not midnight at the otherside of the globe.

Those games are global too.