test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maintenance Schedule

sgsteihlsgsteihl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok.. Rant time! I know this game is new, and in an "Open Beta" that should be called a Soft Release, as people are spending real money on it, and calling it a Beta is just a justification to not hold the game to Release Standards by us, or by reviewers. So far I've coped with all of this quite nicely. Being a Free-To-Play game, I understand all the gimmicks in it to make money for PWE and Cryptic, but this Maintenance almost every morning is a bit <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

If you're going to do maintenance so often, make YOUR staff come in at like 2 a.m. to do it. There's already so much talk of this game being a failure, about it being "pay-to-win" (though it's more pay to get there quicker) that you really don't need to be alienating your customer base this early on, just sayin'!
Post edited by sgsteihl on

Comments

• Options
    bghostbghost Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you know this game is a global game right. what may be a good time for you may not be for some on the other side of the globe.
  • Options
    sgsteihlsgsteihl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    bghost wrote: »
    you know this game is a global game right. what may be a good time for you may not be for some on the other side of the globe.
    A global game with servers and staff based in the US and I'm willing to bet a major part of their Demographic is North American. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    zanthe25zanthe25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If it was not for the regular mainteince the server would die, ever notice game seem to get more problems the longer its been since last maintaince? I Have!

Thing is tho this is a world wide game, so no matter what time you pick to have maintaince, its going to be somebody peak time, so somebody going to be unhappy.

However i think they really should have a system in place where each maintaince is 2 hour earlier than the last time.... this will mean everyone will get a fair share of downtimes at peak times, that way they is no bias to any country/region.
  • Options
    sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    2 am is prime time for a lot of players. This mean that 2 am Pacific is still prime time.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If the servers are so unreliable that they require DAILY maintenance, then there's a problem here beyond the normal scope of IT Maintenance and Prevention. If this were only for a server reset, then they'd announce a server reset, not a scheduled maintenance. I have spent over a decade in the IT Industry.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm actually very glad for the frequent maintenance thus far. Cryptic has shown that they are paying attention, watching data, playing the game, and listening to their customers. I believe that they are actually further cementing their positive relationship with their customers by doing so. Every minute the game is down is a minute during which someone isn't spending ZEN. The fact that they are willing to forego that income and instead spend money to make fixes and improvements speaks volumes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Or they could embrace models of other games, where they patch the server while you're playing, then it makes you logout to patch the client, a la Guild Wars 2. There are options that are better than Daily Maintenance.
  • Options
    aullah12aullah12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    bghost wrote: »

Where I live, its always bad. ALWAYS
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm actually very glad for the frequent maintenance thus far. Cryptic has shown that they are paying attention, watching data, playing the game, and listening to their customers. I believe that they are actually further cementing their positive relationship with their customers by doing so. Every minute the game is down is a minute during which someone isn't spending ZEN. The fact that they are willing to forego that income and instead spend money to make fixes and improvements speaks volumes.

I'm not opposed to fixing bugs, in fact I'm a large fan of it, but to bring down your servers nearly every day for a complete week every morning, says a lot about the state of the game. And to constantly bring them down at nearly the same time every day is just frustrating in general.
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It would be nice if there was a pre-determined maintenance schedule. WoW goes down on US Tuesdays for ~15 minutes at 7am PDT unless there's a content version increment, then it's 2-3 hours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Game just launched, servers are going through their teething process. Calm down a bit.
  • Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Never a good time for maintenance for everyone. It is what it is...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It would be nice if there was a pre-determined maintenance schedule. WoW goes down on US Tuesdays for ~15 minutes at 7am PDT unless there's a content version increment, then it's 2-3 hours.

This is what I'm getting at. And naysayers, don't reply that this is "still a BETA!" Because by and by, largely, Free-to-play games that charge money during their beta, NEVER LEAVE BETA! They keep the beta tag to justify certain things in their developmental cycle, or non-developmental-cycle, so I don't even want to hear that. The fact is, they're making real money from real customers, they can't pull the Beta card anymore!
  • Options
    archanjo17041985archanjo17041985 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    (wrong thread -.- )
    i7 3770k @ 4.0//HD 7950 WF3//16 GB ram Corsair @ 1600//Corsair 120 GB SSD x 2//Hyper Evo 212
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ok. Have my coffee now, off to curl up with a smoke and go for a drive. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Game just launched, servers are going through their teething process. Calm down a bit.

I opened the thread by saying it was a rant. =)
  • Options
    boostersauceboostersauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not another " I work in IT so I know everything about how every other company operates their IT and what is the wrong and right way to do things" get over yourself man.

And whoever that was that said blizzard pulls wow down for 2-3 hours for content updates hasn't been playing the same game I have lol.

Server Restarts 10-15 minutes, maintenance/content patch 5-10 hours if there is no issues.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013

They do keep regular patch days for their other games. But it is common for an MMO to have maintenance almost every day for a few weeks at launch. It will settle down to a regualr schedule soon.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sgsteihl wrote: »
    Or they could embrace models of other games, where they patch the server while you're playing, then it makes you logout to patch the client, a la Guild Wars 2. There are options that are better than Daily Maintenance.

Except that they're not patching - they're fully restarting the server, cleaning up things that aren't cleaning up properly normally, and making sure nothing catches fire (like it did last week).

Also, GW2's model of 'patching' is extremely unique to them (no other MMO that I know of does that) and as thus it's not gonna happen.
  • Options
    gottneverwintergottneverwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry, but I don't care about people whose prime time is while I'm sleeping.

PWE is an hour and a half from me. They're on my time.

If foreigners don't like it, they can play a game based in their time zone... if they can find one worth playing.
  • Options
    clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The few betas I've been in have all done frequent maintenance. At least the players are given warnings or notified that the servers are going down. It is also possible that they need to clean out any corupted data before applying a patch.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every Beta I've ever seen has had daily patches and downtime, it's because they're cleaning so much stuff up with the code. If they weren't doing maint this often at this point of the game I'd be extremely worried.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry, but I don't care about people whose prime time is while I'm sleeping.

PWE is an hour and a half from me. They're on my time.

If foreigners don't like it, they can play a game based in their time zone... if they can find one worth playing.

The racism is strong with this one...
  • Options
    lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Uhm, unless the server straight up crashes, I've found that the maintenance schedule is either late at night, or early morning... so, either when you should be asleep, or at work/school ( for North Americans ). For example, the maintenance that is currently happening. Seems less a problem of their timing and more a problem of you not having enough to fill your day.
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or they could have it 5am PDT, which is around 14:00 in CET. neither is primetimes for US nor EU. This is the start of primetime for EU, most leave work now and comes home, school is over, etc.
  • Options
    topcattixtopcattix Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A global game with servers and staff based in the US and I'm willing to bet a major part of their Demographic is North American. Just sayin'.
    Perfect example of US citizen thinking that US is the only country in the world.
  • Options
    castertroyt79castertroyt79 Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Your 7am is my 10pm, pretty much the prime time on the other side of the globe and the only time which I can play because I work in the morning...and you don't see me complaining. Stop being an entitled selfish kid.
  • Options
    blunt1244blunt1244 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if its down go out and see the sun... bring on even more maintenance it can only be a good thing :D stop *****ing
  • Options
    mimiirumimiiru Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't typically have a problem with maintenance as it is needed, but darn it, today bwtween 10-11 am est was my only free time.
  • Options
    zanthe25zanthe25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

You clearly don't pay a lot of attention, start taking a peek at the top left corner of your load screens every once in while, you see they is in game patching on demand