test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Since when "*******" or "damned" is profane word?

mrfalrinthmrfalrinth Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
You kidding me? Whats the poitn of this censuring overzeal? <censored> is a normall word for a son not from the marriage. And "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" is describing a cursed person. Soon we will all be writing dialogues like:

- hey, little man with beard
- oh hello wonderfull day
- yes, i love everyone
- oh me too.
- pony pony, flowers
- ohhh i love ponies and flowers.

or even better:

- i will destroy you, bad bad son not from the marriage!
- oh ho! you can try you evil bad monster!

etc... This sounds like a parody.
Post edited by mrfalrinth on

Comments

• Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, this was been something known and complained about during Foundry beta.
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it is also a legitimate name of a type of sword from around the 15th or 16 century, and they are named such in D&D canon since it's inception, but Cryptic has jumped on the PC bandwagon. Filtering legit profanity is one thing, filtering half the English dictionary because somewhere, at some point in time some person decided to use a perfectly normal word as an insult, is NOT OK!
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    dfkabutodfkabuto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's entirely possible that Cryptic is simply using a word list that they obtain elsewhere, without actually going through it. That's relatively common practice, actually.

Not that it shouldn't be fixed, because it definitely needs fixing.
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol, just be creative.
  • Options
    guildrumguildrum Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    giggliato wrote: »
    lol, just be creative.

"You child of a mother of ill repute!"

"I'll be condemned to an eternity of pain and torment."

Hm...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    guildrum wrote: »
    "You child of a mother of ill repute!"

"I'll be condemned to an eternity of pain and torment."

Hm...

Haha yeah such creativity works, but only for comedy :) Not everyone is a fan of the genre tho.
  • Options
    minidemonicminidemonic Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even worse, the Swedish word "fick" is considered a profane word.. Fick means got, so when I try to tell my friends that I got a phoenix companion it looks like this "Jag &#%& en fenix!". Well you can disable the chat profanity filter but still annoying.
  • Options
    goodmorningforumgoodmorningforum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They stopped me from saying (put a) *shakes head and walks away*
  • Options
    teggygahteggygah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had some dialogue is was reporting as profane and I couldn't for the life of me figure out which word it didn't like. I had to start randomly pulling words out. The culprit? "Hard". What?!
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . I'm not sure why the D word is censored for Sergeant Knox used it both in text and speach when he says "Damnable" after you see him for the first time after the bridge battle.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Even worse, the Swedish word "fick" is considered a profane word.. Fick means got, so when I try to tell my friends that I got a phoenix companion it looks like this "Jag &#%& en fenix!". Well you can disable the chat profanity filter but still annoying.

Yes you can disable it, but its enabled by default and most people have it, so plenty of times they may think you are swearing or something, when you say something that is no profane whatsoever.
  • Options
    dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried typing nub (spelled out, since it gets caught here too) in my dialogue the other day & it got rejected.

I double checked to make sure I didn't type buub.

Nope, nub.

As to what I was doing typing that in a D&D quest, well that's a whole other matter entirely.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    mrfalrinth wrote: »
    Yes you can disable it, but its enabled by default and most people have it, so plenty of times they may think you are swearing or something, when you say something that is no profane whatsoever.
    . . . . . The problem the some are describing though is with the foundry. When you put in a word the censor thinks is profane in the foundry, you are blocked from publishing until you find and remove the word it thinks is profane. I remember trying to add "Sort it out." in some dialog and it wouldn't let me publish it cause it thought I was saying the last letter of the first worth with the 2nd word.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . The problem the some are describing though is with the foundry. When you put in a word the censor thinks is profane in the foundry, you are blocked from publishing until you find and remove the word it thinks is profane. I remember trying to add "Sort it out." in some dialog and it wouldn't let me publish it cause it thought I was saying the last letter of the first worth with the 2nd word.
    For extra bonus fun, it doesn't tell you what the trigger is either.
  • Options
    staalkbhstaalkbh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can't even write <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> without it being profane!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    For extra bonus fun, it doesn't tell you what the trigger is either.
    . . . . . I know, that was a feat in itself! I ended up replacing it with "Get the problem sorted out." Which, on the flip-side, actually reads much better in the dialog. So.. I guess in this one case, the profanity filter actually helped me write a little bit better dialog... I ended up scrapping that mission though... *the mage chuckles*
  • Options
    inzababainzababa Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mrfalrinth wrote: »
    You kidding me? Whats the poitn of this censuring overzeal? b4stard is a normall word for a son not from the marriage. And "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" is describing a cursed person. Soon we will all be writing dialogues like:

- hey, little man with beard
    - oh hello wonderfull day
    - yes, i love everyone
    - oh me too.
    - pony pony, flowers
    - ohhh i love ponies and flowers.

or even better:

- i will destroy you, bad bad son not from the marriage!
    - oh ho! you can try you evil bad monster!

etc... This sounds like a parody.

good post, I approve :xD
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try "that its" and "455". Those are profane in STO's Foundry. It's overkill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Try "that its" and "455". Those are profane in STO's Foundry. It's overkill.
    Those are verboten here too. 55 by itself as well.
  • Options
    giovithgiovith Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    I have an ogre in some of my foundry missions name Mongo they said was inappropriately named.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hahaha :D so "This ******* have like 55 formal titles!" Will look like "This ******* have like ** formal ***les!"? :D

****... i was close :P Seems forum is less language purity insane.
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i've been having the same problem with wording my two foundry missions i'm working on, i got a profane word prompt in my dialogue and i scrolled through the text, which is:

Good work Recruit! Those Ogres didn't know what hit em

No time to loaf around though, we've got two more pens just like this one for you to test your abilities on.

Head south from here and you'll find the second pen, the last west from there

Good Luck!

i couldn't for the life of me figure out what the problem was...so i deleted a couple words, and finally found the culprit was "pens"...Really Cryptic!? and pen is fine, but pluralize it and no go -_-
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try taking out "pens" "t hit" "test y"

Yes, it might be that silly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    no no no, i already figured out the problem, it was "pens", so i substituted enclosures
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
  • Options
    ctans03ctans03 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tonight I was doing some dialogue for a foul-mouthed pirate. Turns out he wasn't allowed to be a foul-mouthed pirate. Even the word "prick" was considered profane. Little disappointed, but I suppose I understand.
  • Options
    soulgreaversoulgreaver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ... okay, how does this even make sense? I'm not talking about the blatantly broken profanity filter in the Foundry, I'm talking about the fact that it even exists when there's a 'filter profanity' toggle in the chat options. What the hell, Cryptic? I assume you're quote unquote reviewing the quests for inappropriate content anyway, and people haven't magically lost the ability to report such things or how they perceive such things.

Foundry is possibly the only reason I've even given Neverwinter a shot in the first place, and there's little that annoys me more than stilted and forced writing, which is what any kind of automated filter is going to necessitate. I mean, I'd still have an issue if it worked, but these things _never do_ - try writing up any kind of document, formal or otherwise, in a text editor that features autocomplete, with said autocomplete toggled. Assume this document is to be a few thousand words long.

This, essentially, is what Cryptic is making everybody trying to write stuff up for the Foundry do.

I'd say words fail me, but no, they really don't.
  • Options
    fallensbanefallensbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Profanity filter in foundry is flagging cup... cup is such a bad word amirite?

8718621309_f7a4f326c0_o.png
  • Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you sure it is flagging the word cup and not the recipe? I can't see the other words in there so I am not sure. I agree though the profanity filter is a little overzealous, it filtered the word suck from "The Book of Souls seems to want to suck your soul into it." I mean i kinda get the word it filtered from me a bit. As it can be used in other ways lol.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    fallensbanefallensbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Its entirely possible that its another word but nothing is remotely offensive here /sigh just going to reword it all.

And at one point I hovered over the this yellow notice and it showed the word "Cup" as being flagged.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Alright I figured out the issue. You apparently can't put a number before the word cup... :rolleyes:

8719767962_bc4edc8767_o.png
This discussion has been closed.