Install Arc
Options

For those who wondered if pure DPS CW is good

13»

Comments

• Options
    jayiznoobjayiznoob Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    omg THIS IS NOT ABOUT TOP DPS FOR GOD SAKE, THIS IS TO JUST SHOW CASE A BUILD I THOUGHT WOULD BE PRETTY COOL FOR THE THIRD TIME................. Now do you all finally get that geeze lol I was just suggesting a good dps build im going, NOT THE BEST, No where on this forum post do I say this is by far the best, endgame, OP, no one will top it build, no I just said this is a good dps spec that I am going and I was wanting other's feedback on it haha my god man. But if you all wanna see how this stands endgame then I will come back when I'm 60 and let you know since that's all you guys care about. Until then for those who just want to try it or think it's cool plz continue to leave feedback thx :)

people stop getting the wrong idea here, I'm just suggesting that right now its damaging really well with rogues thats all
  • Options
    archaicsealarchaicseal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, CW can compete at the top in dps. Until you hit 60. At that level rogues and even GWFs will out dps you. And you will come to find that your cc abilities are far more useful to the group. Especially in 8300+ runs. You will end up running thaumatergy for that reason (or some peeps go hybrid control/thau.

For leveling to 60 any dps build is fine. Above that you have to change your roll from dps/cc to cc with some dps. Because group survivability is all that matters for progression.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, CW can compete at the top in dps. Until you hit 60. At that level rogues and even GWFs will out dps you. And you will come to find that your cc abilities are far more useful to the group. Especially in 8300+ runs. You will end up running thaumatergy for that reason (or some peeps go hybrid control/thau.

For leveling to 60 any dps build is fine. Above that you have to change your roll from dps/cc to cc with some dps. Because group survivability is all that matters for progression.

I'm definitely not seeing this at 60. Not a single rogue has beat me in dps once I hit 60 and I'm not even trying to be the top. I think people are just badly specing their toons. Once the min/maxers start publishing builds I think people will be surprised. Rogues are definitely not OP.... Of course I'm speaking purely PVE here.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ok im going to take on the challenge to see if i can maintain good damage when I hit 60, I will update everything here once I do
  • Options
    zedfighterzedfighter Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jayiznoob wrote: »
    Woot managed to get a video of the rotation here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5qmkr2_L8&feature=youtu.be

I will also post it where i put the build

Yuck! it took you forever to kill that one single mob =\
  • Options
    leomutretaleomutreta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its fine for lvling but I don't think that at lvl 60 epic dungeons a damage oriented wizard is better than a controller one. In my group, a lot of situations became peace of cake when controller specced CW stepped in.

The key is teamwork, not the top of the damage chart.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I never said I was doing this for top charts, I'm doing it for high dmg, not competitively but to satisfy myself. Its just a suggestion. I mean other dmg classes can build to defend themselves than depending to the CW to keep them safe. More defense and lifesteal or anything. Ill just see how it ends up working at 60. I mean if I'm melting things quick whats the point of a CC. And to Zedfighter that guy is pretty strong by himself. When I hit 60 I'll just show you a vid of me killing things in general. I melt stuff pretty fast. Idk again for the 4th time why everyone is thinking im suggesting this to top the charts in damage or something. I was just suggesting a DPS build and was wanting fellow DPS CWs or ones who want to try it to give me feedback on this type of build. Yes I compared it to a rogue in the pic to just showcase that it is high damage but this is not to be competitive
  • Options
    leomutretaleomutreta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never said I was doing this for top charts, I'm doing it for high dmg, not competitively but to satisfy myself. Its just a suggestion. I mean other dmg classes can build to defend themselves than depending to the CW to keep them safe. More defense and lifesteal or anything. Ill just see how it ends up working at 60. I mean if I'm melting things quick whats the point of a CC. And to Zedfighter that guy is pretty strong by himself. When I hit 60 I'll just show you a vid of me killing things in general. I melt stuff pretty fast. Idk again for the 4th time why everyone is thinking im suggesting this to top the charts in damage or something. I was just suggesting a DPS build and was wanting fellow DPS CWs or ones who want to try it to give me feedback on this type of build. Yes I compared it to a rogue in the pic to just showcase that it is high damage but this is not to be competitive

That last line was not wrote to judge or to try to say how you have to play your class. Just contributing with my perspective, based on my play group and the way its set. But yes, I do fear the players that are interested only in topping the charts, even in detriment of the overall group performance. We know theres people like that out there.
    There are some spawns, specially with multiple healing mobs (the Erinyes in the Chartilifax battle comes to mind) that will heal every mob to full in a blink if not taken care off. This is only one example and other boss fights have some key spawn points where CCs can save the day.
    And boss fights is the thing I care most for, not trash killing. Sometimes raw power is not suficient, but I look with interest to how your build philosophy wll fare in the endgame. Having options is always good and if a pure damage CW can turn these tricky encounters to manageable ones, the better.
  • Options
    remianenremianen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    omg THIS IS NOT ABOUT TOP DPS FOR GOD SAKE, THIS IS TO JUST SHOW CASE A BUILD I THOUGHT WOULD BE PRETTY COOL FOR THE THIRD TIME

jay, this is an MMO forum. You have to go into it with the expectation that no one will read anything but the first post. That's why you have people on page 4 asking for the build (which you posted on page 2 and later edited into the OP) and missing the fact that you mentioned this wasn't a max level build or plan or that you use this build when SOLO. That's why people are chastising you and talking about 'teamwork'. They didn't get the memo.

If it counts for anything, there are a few of us who took interest in your experiment since we had planned to do something similar with offbeat builds. (And we don't PUG so our spectacular flameouts wouldn't affect the general populace....until we posted the videos, at least). I didn't know if I wanted to wait until 2017 (or whenever the hell PWE decides to roll out an actual primary damage caster), so square peg in round hole is the alternative.
  • Options
    monarrchmonarrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Too bad you cant use that in PVP. Ive done 15 matches today and all but 2 were topped by Rogues, some with NO armor on.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lvl 44 now and dmg is still holding on ok :)

http://i.imgur.com/8RamzlM.jpg
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To top PvP you don't need to worry about damage or killing blows. Cap the nodes, defend the nodes, get assists earn the points. You can top PvP list with out getting a single Kill.

Keep on working on your build Jay. I am interested in seeing how this continues to grow. I myself have been working on a purely AoE control build that I will share in the future. The best part about it is it works vs a single target or multiple targets. I just need a little more recovery to tighten up the gap between rotations. Getting the Steal Time spell down to a reasonable cooldown amount is hard lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hey Jayiznoob, I am also topping the last couple skirmishes since I respec'd heavily influenced by your build.

I still have Entangling Embrace because it's just too good, and decent dmg. I use it in place of RoE.

I killed Grubnuub(?) the Dragon skirmish and got top dps twice. Second time it was just by a hair over a rogue. My feats are similar, but i have now gotten 5/5 in the one that makes At Will powers 30% more dmg if within 20ft (since I usually am).

Ice Knife rules butt (3 slotted now).

I'm lvl 45.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Grats man good to hear your build is doing well :) I think im going to put in a good amount of recovery in the build to lower that gap where everything is on CD and also build up to ice knife quicker, we will see how that goes :)
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wish I was on Dragon. My Wiz is Mindflayer I'm sure.

I am quite happy because between EE and CS, I have a hard and soft CC, but I still have a nice DPS output.

So for now, all is well. I'm having trouble deciding on my next feat choice direction, more Thaumaturge likely. I like how fast I get AP, I don't get the "no Action Points" crud anymore.

I'll have to SS when the server comes up for stats, I believe I have 13% recharge from 23 Int, plus 4-5% from recovery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I see I see, sounds good man, we will figure out these builds, and dont worry about us not being on the same shard right now, they are going to merge them all down the road so maybe we will get to play together someday, just keep in touch
  • Options
    losbin68losbin68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 79
    edited May 2013
    dps build cw is good but what would be better is a game mechanic that allowed cw to control. Dps in this game draws very little agro while any other action draws agro. nothing like watching a gwf fight a pack of mobs for 1 or 2 min and have the cleric get close and his reg draws every mob to him.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sup guys, I been trying to no life it to 60 (53 now) and everything and I decided to take a interest new route and build that I am going to go over now that I use. This build is now dedicated to like 85-90% dps and 10-15% CC. This is not a chart topping damage build or anything but a fun one imo with still good damage.

You will still dps good as you see here: GWF in 1st, Me in 2nd and a Rogue in 3rd. (btw before you click this link keep in mind that this GWF that was in first was insanely geared at the level and the last dungeon that I ran to gear up was the one at 44)
    http://i.imgur.com/WiH8xv9.jpg

My New Feats:http://i.imgur.com/jsfbuNS.jpg
    Edit: i just added Conduct of Ice so im going for that last point next

Focus on gear: Power > Crit > Armor Pen > Recovery > Defense

Dailies: Ice Knife and Ice Storm

Passives: Evocation and Storm Spell

Spell Mastery: Shard of the Endless Avalanche ( why, you will have better ball control and it does really good damage, there is nothing like seeing a bunch of enemies fall like bowling pins XD)

Encounters: Ray of Enfeeblement, Chill Strike, and Sudden Storm

At Wills: Magic Missle and Storm Pillar

Rotation: Unlike my first build on here there isn't really a rotation to this build because its more decision making(ish) It's more of an opener than a rotation. Just make sure you pop COI first and SEA to get it on CD asap because of the long CD, after that make your own rotation :)

So what do you guys think of these changes and thanks for feedback in advance
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wish i would hit 60 already xD
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    btw anyone got any good pvp builds, im going to consider pvp at level 60
  • Options
    morlizermorlizer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game has so much AOE potential i'm not surprised that CW does great. How is it compared to TR vs single target?
  • Options
    orochibeboporochibebop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This Build is Beast Lvl 40 and Killing Rogues in every dungeon
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Last and Final update pic (just look at skills for build, im too sleep to post it all lol about to head to bed)

http://i.imgur.com/0E4pt6k.jpg
  • Options
    infestedchris12infestedchris12 Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    The funny thing about number 3 is that you have res sickness. Doesn't that reduce your damage unless you use a repair kit to remove?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The funny thing about number 3 is that you have res sickness. Doesn't that reduce your damage unless you use a repair kit to remove?

no you just cant get picked up if you go down again, injury kits removes reduced damage from injuries
  • Options
    applepotatoepieapplepotatoepie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morlizer wrote: »
    This game has so much AOE potential i'm not surprised that CW does great. How is it compared to TR vs single target?

Nothing compares to TR single target, all they have to do is use their at will and they top the charts.
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are we tracking Damage Per Second in D&D? :confused:
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    duskinvduskinv Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is there a way to show photo of powers section? would greatly help me, i have been following feats though!