test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dungeon Lair of the mad dragon.

purifier8506purifier8506 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I started a control wizard and it has been a true enjoyment...until I reached level 30 and was given the new daily to complete Lair of the mad dragon...I first tried this dungeon last night 3/05/2013 and found it to be rather a challenge to get from start to finish. How ever it has gone above and beyond a challenge when fighting the last boss of the dungeon "Chartilifax" This boss really isn't a challenge on his own, only his ever so often roar that stuns and prevents anyone from moving or casting is really annoying. But the real problem with this dungeon is the wave after wave of mobs spawning, and the short amount of time given to players to dps the boss between mobs.. It's not a challenge when a player cant dodge attacks mid-cast of a spell, it's not a challenge when the tank is forced to focus his/her attention on the boss and away from the mobs.If people have by any chance found a tank that can switch between boss/mobs and hold aggro on all of it save the imps since they are only a minor pain in the butt then please compliment that tank on behalf please. But if this is happening for a lot of groups like the 2 groups that I have been in with to beat this dungeon then this dungeon seriously needs to change from being an overwhelming mob fight to a challenge where the mobs spawn only 2-3 times during the fight at different health levels of the boss. Now your probly thinking wow your complaing about this boss fight after going in to the dungeon only twice, well I've only gone in twice because I can see that no group I get in with is going to be able to handle that fight unless you buy a million potions and waste them all ON 1 BOSS FIGHT!. I've also noticed that mobs spawn straight away after the group has finished fighting off the previous lot of mobs this is a serious problem since dps based classes can't get any decent dps done due to overwhelming mobs and having to constantly dodge fire traps and attacks from the boss and several other mobs that charge. Now lets take a look at the problems of this last fight and what can be done to improve it. 1. Can't move mid-cast of a spell. I find it extremely difficult to avoid fire traps spawning at my feet if I've just started to cast a spell or the boss has cast his stun. Being unable to move doesn't make a boss fight a challenge, it makes it unfair. I watched a video where the commentator stated " This game is designed to make you"the player" feel powerful. Now I don't feel powerful if I'm constantly being overwhelmed by mobs and have to stop to switch out spells or being stunned and unable to move or only being able to use my teleport 3 times before out I'm out of stamina. 2. The short amount of time given between mobs is ridiculous, It honestly the first time I went in and fought the last boss and mobs were spawning left,right and all over the place it started to feel like a 10man raid boss, the amount of mobs our 5man grp had to fight off was extremly painful and then another group of mobs spawn after the previous mob has been defeated. There is very little time to do any actual dps to the boss. In my opinion this fight could do with out the large amount of adds. Have 3 mobs spawn during the fight, the first mob could spawn at 85% health of the boss, the 2nd mob at 55% health and the last mob can spawn at 20% health, making this fight a true challenge and not what feels like an impossible fight.Both time my small 5man group wiped due to overwhelming adds. If anyone has a dungeon or a quest that he/she feels could use changing, then please leave your comments below.
Post edited by purifier8506 on

Comments

• Options
    sacred1337sacred1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you want people to read your wall of text then break in up.

The dungeon is fine, more challenging than most but that's what's so good about it, it is actually challenging and should stay that way.
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If the quest is too hard for you don't do it.

I've tried this quest once and we wiped on the boss and people left. It was my most enjoyable experience in neverwinter so far. Steamrolling mobs with no chance of failure gets boring pretty quickly.
  • Options
    mlew0032mlew0032 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    <removed quote/reply to a removed post>

I recently beat Lair of the Mad Dragon on Epic (Lv60 version) and it definitely required careful planning. I too am a CW so those adds were overwhelming but I can only tell you to skip the party quest if it's too hard.

Remember, this is still OBT so there will be alot of tweaks coming to the content your experiencing.
    Server : Mindflayer

Characters:
    Ellamae - Level 60 CW (12.1k T2 Geared)
    Norros - Level 60 TR (12.1k T2 Geared)
    Keira - Level 60 GF (13.2k T2 Geared)
    Mialee - Level 60 DC (12.2k T2 Geared)
    Thoradin - Level 60 GWF (12.8k T2 Geared)
  • Options
    rotforgottenrotforgotten Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Chartilifax fight was the most fun I've had in an MMO in years. Can't wait to see some of the higher level dungeons.
  • Options
    rekumrekum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rather than offering insults, offer strategy.

I play a Control Wizard as well, and I have completed the Dungeon on first runthrough.
    I ran it for the first time today myself on May 4, 2013. Level 35. We wiped twice on the third time we got it, we had a group make up of:
    Players:
    Cleric x1
    GWF x1
    Wizard x2
    Rogue x1

Companions:
    Defender x3
    Striker x2

First Attempt: Heavy Wipe, with boss at only 3/4 hp, same issue you discussed.
    Second Attempt: Humiliation, boss HP bar was ticking down to last hit, when we wiped

After second attempt I noticed the boss tends to focus the target furthest away from him, as well as that is where he will send his imps as well. So on the Third and Final Attempt I came up with this strategy, explained it to my group, and voila, victory was wrought.

Strategy:

We entered the fight with everyone on boss, once adds starting spawning, I kited the boss, with good use of Teleport.
    All other Members started focusing adds, once adds were down, everyone was back on boss, until next add wave
    We kept this strategy up until boss was dead.

Must have Spells:
    Ice Storm - to get the imps off of you when they start <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> your face
    Icy Terrain - Same as Ice storm

If you use this strategy you will find victory is imminent.
  • Options
    visgangvisgang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    Ignore the dragon, kill the mobs faster, have a CW or two put ranged DPS on dragon as you can and you will win.

You have a whole assortment of abilities, retool your bar to have less casting time and quit worrying about your dps, its an endurance fight, stay alive, kill adds damage the boss as you can.

Its not impossible, your group was not doing it right. No nerf cry needed. Try something different. The whole game up to that encounter in the dungeons is faceroll material, this is the one they separate the chaff with.....

Oh ya, clearly your not using the return button! Good key to hit every few sentences or so, walls of text are bad!
  • Options
    greyanagreyana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This dungeon is trivial. Stay out of red <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Kill adds, imps first since they hamper your movement. Collect loot.

If you can't finish this dungeon the problem isn't the dungeon.
  • Options
    psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah that one is a bit of a pain....I think its bugged.....

for one thing one death and you cant go back to the fight.

second thing....the actual spawned enemies have more health and defenses then the rest of the enemies in the entire dungeon.

It took my group when we completed it an almost 30 minute fight....that is not right.

I have been in a bunch of groups that failed it...because the other players had a horrible time surviving.

And it was this dungeon that showed me the item called the Scroll of Mass Life....is broken and doesn't work.
    (That's the scroll that raises you and will raise the entire team if they are with 50' or sight range and put everyone to full health...well its broken...not sure when it got broken but its broken for the open beta...worked in closed beta but not open...go figure on that)

SO anywise I feel for the OP.

And I realized the players commenting he needs to be a better player....have not done this dungeon....

By the way rotforgotten.....its not the same as it used to be....the spawn enemies are more difficult they have added health and do more damage and give no experience and very rarely drop even a coin...also they added in this barrier thing....so if you die at all....and decide to go to the re-spawn point you can only sit and watch.
    In the rest of the dungeon they lowered the experience gain by a lot....couldn't even level up a companion 1 rank from this...very disappointing now.

So I don't think this one will be your favorite anymore...looks like you will just have to enjoy the one with the Gelenteous Cube instead.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• Options
    rotforgottenrotforgotten Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I ran it today as a 33 control wizard and didn't get downed once. It's harder than any previous content but it's not as hard as you guys are making it out to be. It's not a dps race, the dragon will die eventually. Burn the adds and don't stand in **** you shouldn't be standing in and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    bjorkasaurbjorkasaur Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I started a control wizard and it has been a true enjoyment...until I reached level 30 and was given the new daily to complete Lair of the mad dragon...I first tried this dungeon last night 3/05/2013 and found it to be rather a challenge to get from start to finish. How ever it has gone above and beyond a challenge when fighting the last boss of the dungeon "Chartilifax" This boss really isn't a challenge on his own, only his ever so often roar that stuns and prevents anyone from moving or casting is really annoying. But the real problem with this dungeon is the wave after wave of mobs spawning, and the short amount of time given to players to dps the boss between mobs.. It's not a challenge when a player cant dodge attacks mid-cast of a spell, it's not a challenge when the tank is forced to focus his/her attention on the boss and away from the mobs.If people have by any chance found a tank that can switch between boss/mobs and hold aggro on all of it save the imps since they are only a minor pain in the butt then please compliment that tank on behalf please. But if this is happening for a lot of groups like the 2 groups that I have been in with to beat this dungeon then this dungeon seriously needs to change from being an overwhelming mob fight to a challenge where the mobs spawn only 2-3 times during the fight at different health levels of the boss. Now your probly thinking wow your complaing about this boss fight after going in to the dungeon only twice, well I've only gone in twice because I can see that no group I get in with is going to be able to handle that fight unless you buy a million potions and waste them all ON 1 BOSS FIGHT!. I've also noticed that mobs spawn straight away after the group has finished fighting off the previous lot of mobs this is a serious problem since dps based classes can't get any decent dps done due to overwhelming mobs and having to constantly dodge fire traps and attacks from the boss and several other mobs that charge. Now lets take a look at the problems of this last fight and what can be done to improve it. 1. Can't move mid-cast of a spell. I find it extremely difficult to avoid fire traps spawning at my feet if I've just started to cast a spell or the boss has cast his stun. Being unable to move doesn't make a boss fight a challenge, it makes it unfair. I watched a video where the commentator stated " This game is designed to make you"the player" feel powerful. Now I don't feel powerful if I'm constantly being overwhelmed by mobs and have to stop to switch out spells or being stunned and unable to move or only being able to use my teleport 3 times before out I'm out of stamina. 2. The short amount of time given between mobs is ridiculous, It honestly the first time I went in and fought the last boss and mobs were spawning left,right and all over the place it started to feel like a 10man raid boss, the amount of mobs our 5man grp had to fight off was extremly painful and then another group of mobs spawn after the previous mob has been defeated. There is very little time to do any actual dps to the boss. In my opinion this fight could do with out the large amount of adds. Have 3 mobs spawn during the fight, the first mob could spawn at 85% health of the boss, the 2nd mob at 55% health and the last mob can spawn at 20% health, making this fight a true challenge and not what feels like an impossible fight.Both time my small 5man group wiped due to overwhelming adds. If anyone has a dungeon or a quest that he/she feels could use changing, then please leave your comments below.

Wow that was hard to read... paragraphs?

Did that dungeon with:
    2 Rogues
    1 Guardian
    1 GWF
    1 CW

Yup, no healer. All you have to do to beat the boss is to focus down 1 add at a time, keep your cleric companions alive and chug some pots. Didn't you guys have a strategy when you went in or what? Can't see this dungeon being a challenge when you have a cleric with you.

All I see is a guy complaining before trying to adapt.
  • Options
    holograhamholograham Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bjorkasaur wrote: »
    Wow that was hard to read... paragraphs?

Did that dungeon with:
    2 Rogues
    1 Guardian
    1 GWF
    1 CW

Yup, no healer. All you have to do to beat the boss is to focus down 1 add at a time, keep your cleric companions alive and chug some pots. Didn't you guys have a strategy when you went in or what? Can't see this dungeon being a challenge when you have a cleric with you.

All I see is a guy complaining before trying to adapt.

might have been in your group lol since that's the same set up we used
    we wiped once because we didn't pay enough attention to add's but 2nd time we cleared, focus goes imps > demon chicks > dragon, twice during our fight there was a mass spawn of mages but just have everyone daily them then go back to main focus rotation.

PS: BEST ENCOUNTER YET, hope they get harder
    BRSNT.png
  • Options
    vlayde9vlayde9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's obvious this dungeon is overtuned. This fight requires too much coordination for a lvl 34 dungeon and the reward is no where near worth the effort.

After my group killed him all I could think to myself was "Did a dev switch this version with the hardmode one"?.
  • Options
    bjorkasaurbjorkasaur Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    holograham wrote: »
    might have been in your group lol since that's the same set up we used
    we wiped once because we didn't pay enough attention to add's but 2nd time we cleared, focus goes imps > demon chicks > dragon, twice during our fight there was a mass spawn of mages but just have everyone daily them then go back to main focus rotation.

PS: BEST ENCOUNTER YET, hope they get harder

Yeah that was me, you played the CW right? Was by far the most entertaining encounter in the game thus far :)
  • Options
    nawdlenawdle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    Who remembers their first Gnomer run in vanilla WoW?

The days of staying power... 7 hours in that dungeon. Countless wipes. I didn't even get any loot. Don't regret a second.

I don't give a **** if I can't ever do Lair of the Mad Dragon (only just 30 so haven't tried yet). I'm gonna keep trying until I can. That's fun. If I can't, I'll get my guild/friends to help me. Use voice chat to make communication easier. Look for a strategy. Every time the attempts get closer, the adrenaline will be pumping, every failure will only make me more eager for another shot so I can fix my mistakes and play better. When I eventually finish the dungeon (assuming it takes much time rather than a little thought), I will be pumped as anything.

In short, I will have undergone something tough and used a combination of smarts, skills, and nerves to come out the other side.
    And who knows, maybe it's one of those things that only really good PuGs will be able to do. It's one thing less the solo players of the game can do- one thing in thousands. Why should the guild players be denied a proper challenge once in a while without having to race through a mind-numbing early game to hit it? The other dungeons have been a faceroll- mostly my party doesn't even get out of the 'bad', but it's easy enough to heal them through it.

Varying degrees of challenge make the game appeal to more players. If you're a '100% completion' type person, do what you have to. If you're serious about the game, you'll be able to finish it. If you're really casual, jot it down on the list of things you might come back to after you've finished exploring everything else. No hurry, right?
  • Options
    ayutardaayutarda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Our guild has dropped this dragon twice now with 2 different groups as our guild peeps lvl. It can be done u just need.
    good team or a good guild
  • Options
    purifier8506purifier8506 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you to those who offered a valid strategy or spoke of their own failed attempts at this dungeon. and I feel sorry for those who instead of giving a few words of encouragement or words of wisdom instead gave insults. I will attempt these strategies and hopefully over come this difficult boss fight.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Another thing just so people know..Both times I have gone thru Lair of the mad dragon I've been the last person alive. So yea I do avoid all the red <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    dalriondalrion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't even remember how many attemps i had and never succeded. This fight is not about ,,Kill mobs" or ,,Stay out of red" This is only about HUGE luck. And LFG tool is useless here. It is undoable with prepared group so random has absolutely no chance.
    I hope this is not final version. Whole dungeon is realy great, even dragon fight it is realy fun, but just too hard.

And for those which constantly laugh at people and telling that it is easy....Come On log in, inv and show me how easy for you it is. Otherwise keep silent...
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Notice of Moderation:

Trolling and unproductive and insulting posts
    have been removed. Please folks, if what you're about to post is in any way rude or insulting, then do not post it. It is really that simple. Do not reply to this notice of Moderation, instead contact us by PM or through Support as discussing Moderator actions is not allowed on the forums. Thanks!
  • Options
    tivaldtivald Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm in for a good challenge, but when the whole game content before this encounter is a faceroll, the Mad Dragon might as well be a brickwall. So, I too think that this encounter has a pacing problem. It's absolutely doable, even with a pug, I saw that after my second (33%, Pit Fiend stage) wipe with a pug, unfortunately the others were not as patient and left. GF, Cleric, 2xCW, and me as GWF. The Cleric was the first to die (he wasn't a great player, he died in traps earlier, lol), and from there the group collapsed pretty quick. Obviously none of us had any idea about the fight before we started it.
  • Options
    tomasvettomasvet Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes I had problems on my very first attempt at which point the entire group went furth onto the encounter without any strategy, I wasted my 50 pots and then died at around 50% health left on the dragon.

Once we had a strategy for our second attempt I didn't even have to use a single pot as a trickster rogue.

The mechanics are very simple per se you just need to identify them if you're having troubles
  • Options
    ch0keslamch0keslam Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guise video game too hard pls nerf
  • Options
    stanleypain007stanleypain007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First real challenging dungeon in the game. Think of it as a baddie filter.
  • Options
    vanvulturevanvulture Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just exited this dungeon defeated on Epic difficuly (lvl 60). We were 2xCW, 1 cleric, 1 rogue and a Guardian Fighter. The lowest we got the dragon was 25%. The adds spawning constantly and the health they got is insane. I will admit that it was the most iritating fun iv'e had so far.

Note: I'm not after a nerf, just saying: It's shjit hard even if you follow above tactics. But still, it's great fun!

Edit: We tried 4 times before someone left and we gave up :)
    ''Well, just as I suspected... I couldn't see it because it's invisible.''
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    DO NOT CHANGE IT. This instance is so fun. I enjoy the mechanics and the challenge with adds. And some of the bosses actually have mechanics in how the adds spawn. The second one for example, spawns more adds every time it stomps.. It also spawns more adds after you have dpsed it down a certain %. So no, they don't just keep coming, it's all mechanic and I really enjoyed the instance.
  • Options
    joukuoj32joukuoj32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sometimes GF are great, in BW3(when threat was +- broken)

first time we enter after first wave-wipe

second try-me(GF) holding only dragon agro(trying agro 1 elite add) and i said rest of ppl to focus adds that i cant hold them all-got boss to +-15%hp and we died

third try-we killed it(funny is most of us was out of pots or 10 pots left and we kill it XD)
    Edit:noone died in third try

group wasnt premade, but ppl wasnt stupid(i know it may sound bad, but i met ppl when rogue/cw charge in, agro everthing and run back writting about hold agro-always want quit and let them die)
  • Options
    daxx360daxx360 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to say, I personally was more than a little disappointed with the final encounter of this dungeon. The dungeon itself I really enjoyed. But for me, a Dragon should be hard because the Dragon is hard. It's not the difficulty of the encounter I dislike, it's the fact the encounter is only made difficult by the adds. Give me a Dragon that's hard as nails and kicks my *** and I'll love it. Give me a Dragon that's mediocre at best and only made a challenge by throwing a high volume of adds into the room and it'll just turn me off.

Change the encounter, but keep it difficult. Make the Dragon itself hard. I've already waded through more than enough of those adds on my way to the Dragon, the last thing I want to see in an end of dungeon boss fight with a Dragon is more of the same old <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, now being used to buff up an underwhelming creature.

Hell while we're at it, do that with the rest of your bosses. The only thing that makes any boss in the game so far anything like a challenge are the adds they spawn. I would love to see less adds spawning in general and harder, more inventive bosses themselves.
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Focus on the ads when they pop, this boss isn't that hard. He's just dragged out.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    nismunismu Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    It was quite a change to what cake walk game had been that far (and apparently next dungeon again follow the cakewalking) I enjoyed it, just wish they would boost challenge and needed tactics of earlier dungeons and skirmishes so it wouldn't come as big surprise for people.
  • Options
    samstsamst Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Last boss kinda requires a group of decent people, so beware when going with randoms D:
This discussion has been closed.