test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon Lair of the mad dragon.

2»

Comments

• vklorthovklortho Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sudden storm. Put points into it. Conduit of Ice and your daily power aren't going to cut it any more. I pugged it twice and the first time I had not yet learned Sudden Storm and we wiped 3 times on the last boss. The second time I was a few levels higher with Sudden Storm maxed out and we one shotted every boss in there. As long as the Wizard has a real AoE and the strikers switch to adds when they appear then it should be very doable. I think that boss fight was the most fun I have had in a video game in a LOOOOOOOOONG time! :D
  • kuettbull3nkuettbull3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Earlier today (05-05-2013) I ran the dungeon for my very first time and it was the Epic dungeon.

We were CWx2, TRx1, DCx1 and Me as GF.

My first impression is that it's difficulty is moderate at best. The basic rule of the dungeon is keep the bosses and adds seperate and kill them. They are not "sprint" bosses but more of "marathon" bosses.
    Yeah, we wiped once on the Pit fiend boss. But that was mainly because I didnt get an explanation of what to do so he kept getting healed.
    Though at the second try we killed him with me having only 3 potions left we engaged the dragon. I just tanked the dragon at his default position meanwhile the others killed the adds. It did take a while, I think it was about 15-20 minutes and no wipes.

Eventhough we succeeded in killing him pretty easily I understand why some people think he is difficult, but he is not that difficult so he needs to be nerfed.
    PS! There are dungeons and harder bosses than him at later levels.
  • purifier8506purifier8506 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I absolutely agree with Daxx360 its not the boss that's hard or the fight to get to him. It's all the adds that spawn during the encounter. As I stated in my opening post, the boss is a push over and it's made all the more difficult being overwhelmed with so many adds. So yes I 100% agree with Daxx360. It's the boss that needs to be more difficult, lose the adds or have them spawn at certain % in the bosses health. But certainly don't need imps,devil guys,demon chicks and the big hulking demon that's immune to any kind of CC (Icy terrain, ice storm and on top of that has a huge health pool.)
  • pinkysansbrainpinkysansbrain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ran the dungeon with a PuG, found out that the boss was MUCH more difficult that anticipated. Unfortunately, due to disgruntled team members (as a result of three successive wipes, second attempt being the most successful), I wasn't able to finish the dungeon.

What I learned though, is that you definitely need to take a break from attacking the dragon in order to free up some space by knocking out those adds. The dragon's fairly easy to dodge, he telegraphs his moves so well that you could probably avoid them without the glaringly obvious red bar and circle on the floor. The adds are what's going to kick you in the pants. If you don't take care of them quickly, they'll swarm your healer and DPS, your tank will be overwhelmed, and you'll all wipe. You might be able to combat it with excessive potion use, but it's an uphill battle, that route.

If you wipe, talk it over with your teammates. Make sure you come up with a strategy ("everyone attack the boss" is not a legitimate strategy, there are too many adds that are too powerful to ignore) before rushing in. I highly suggest bringing at least one full stack of the highest quality potions you can use, and several level-appropriate injury kits. If you keep a clear head and play it tactically instead of rushing in headfirst, you'll beat it without a problem.

Side note: kick anyone suggesting you charge the dragon and ignore the adds, they're going to be dead weight during the fight. I'm looking at you, DPS that appears to be based on the Pied Piper.
  • emrendillemrendill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    I did that dungeon yesterday with my level 32 Cleric for the first time. Dragon fight was quite intense, barley stayed alive, but it was fun! :)

Here's a clip, recorded live.
  • kingramzekingramze Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hit this dungeon for the first time at level 30. We entered with 5 players, but somehow one got disconnected and another either left or got disconnected... so it was me and 2 others fighting the dragon and adds. We died again and again and again... and after wasting potions and books of life alike, I finally left b/c it was impossible with only 3 players - even with our companions. The adds were overwhelming. The people that have beaten this have gone in with a guild or with a cohesive strategy and many have chosen specific classes to play. It's a little different when just queuing up with random people that can drop out and/or don't know what strategy is best. (Our GWF was gung-ho running ahead of the pack and triggering multiple mob attacks left and right throughout the dungeon *rolls eyes*)

I won't say it needs to be nerfed, but maybe the queue should favor a proper mix of characters and just drop everyone out of the dungeon if someone disconnects before reaching the dragon. There's really no way 3 people can defeat the dragon and adds as-is.

My suggestion would be to cut back on the spawn rate of adds, make the adds proportional to the number of players, and/or change the level for queuing to 35-40.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I just skipped it. With the random queue groups I was getting, it was impossible. There never seems to be a break in those demon spawns, and they hit really hard.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • tobuay04tobuay04 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Did anyone try not killing the adds and just leave them to the control wizard to "keep them busy" The next higher level dungeon i played as a GF and the 2nd that boss will continually spawn hulk mobs if you kill them off. So what I did was... NOT kill them and just kited them while all dd was pretty much focused on the boss.
    Did this work for the Mad Dragon Dungeon?
  • masterbuffalaxmasterbuffalax Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Apologies if this is necro-threading, but I'm really curious about this dungeon on epic. My wife (DC) and I (GWF) hit 60 recently, and we're working our way through the epic dungeons. We finished CT, CC, and ToI without much trouble, and we have ~8300 gearscore, so we decided to try LotMD, and we got crushed. Our party of DC, GF, TR, GWFx2 wiped three times on the first boss just because of the imps. My strategy was to spam weapon master strike with unstoppable and pop slam as soon as it was up, but as soon as both skills ran out I died in seconds. My allies did about that same. We eventually beat the first boss, but we couldn't even make a dent in the second (again, imps!) so we left. Was my strategy terrible? Should my allies have been pulling more weight? Or do you just really, really need a CW to do this dungeon?
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Apologies if this is necro-threading, but I'm really curious about this dungeon on epic. My wife (DC) and I (GWF) hit 60 recently, and we're working our way through the epic dungeons. We finished CT, CC, and ToI without much trouble, and we have ~8300 gearscore, so we decided to try LotMD, and we got crushed. Our party of DC, GF, TR, GWFx2 wiped three times on the first boss just because of the imps. My strategy was to spam weapon master strike with unstoppable and pop slam as soon as it was up, but as soon as both skills ran out I died in seconds. My allies did about that same. We eventually beat the first boss, but we couldn't even make a dent in the second (again, imps!) so we left. Was my strategy terrible? Should my allies have been pulling more weight? Or do you just really, really need a CW to do this dungeon?

It's highly advisable to have a CW for this dungeon. At least for the first two bosses. The CW can deal with the trash and also try and knock back/CC any Eryines that are popping their AOE heal so they don't heal all the other mobs.

Also, for the 2nd boss, try and fight on the entry bridge so you get a little respite every time he stomps to kill/throw/push off adds.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • mytgroomytgroo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    This dungeon is very mixed. It depends on the party you get at the beginning. Without a cleric, there is basically no chance of finishing this dungeon.

Sometimes, the party can't take on the first boss. Sometimes the party can't take on the second boss. The final boss is very hard. It depends on having a cleric and a mage for the final boss.

The first boss is not that hard if you kill the Ruby Skeletons first. The second boss is easier if you stay on the higher level and pull it out of the circle. Also kill the summoner quickly.

I have finished it, but have not gotten the Stalwart Bulwark's Helm when I finished it. What is up with getting the Stalwart Bulwark's helm in the Lair of the Mad Dragon?
  • m1nuendm1nuend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

First boss, both GWF should stay on top of cleric. Combined, you should be able to kill of the bats quickly. I found "not so fast" always useful in that situation. If both GWF use that and WMS, bats should die after four hits, I'd think (depending on gear score, builds). If everyone is fighting adds far away from each other, surviving becomes much harder. IBS also deals multiple target damage if within range.

The second boss. If the TR is able to aggro the boss on one side and the adds-killing is on the other side... it should be possible. That's what we did the first time.

On the dragon itself; What was a turning point for my bf (TR) and me pugging MD, was when we realized the 4 that is not on the dragon, needs to stay close together. I, as GWF, always stood on top of the cleric. The clue is not to run out in 4 corners to take one mage each. The team needs to stick close so they wont get picked one by one. We had the TR on the dragon, the rest of us fought as far away from it as possible. The TR could kill the mages that didn't go after the cleric. Rest of adds usually goes after the cleric, so we didn't need to go to them. I found it easier when the cleric ran towards the mages, because then I could follow without leaving the cleric too far away.

I can't remember if we always a had CW in the successful runs. I do know that we never thought about it when starting the dungeon.

That being said, I found MD more difficult than the T2 Pirate King, so..

I found most of the MD dungeon kinda tiresome, you have to single-target almost all the way because you can't hit the erinyes-thingies. Not so fun when you're a GWF.

Edit: Also, basic, let the designated boss fighter attack the boss first so nobody else aggros it.
    The second boss is easier if you stay on the higher level and pull it out of the circle. Also kill the summoner quickly.

I don't know if that's possible after the patch.
    39275e2ac4.jpg
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    *the mage casts some unknown spells and contains the zombie*

Necromancy:
    Any thread over one month (30 days) old is considered to be a dead thread. Posting in a dead (necro) thread will cause it to be locked. Repeated posting of dead threads can result in a ban from forums/game. Instead of necro-ing a thread, please make a new thread.
This discussion has been closed.