test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Today's patch fixes the Queue status but not the Queue...

124»

Comments

• Options
    valdoraxvaldorax Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wakerglass wrote: »
    what else can be done aside from adding additional servers?

This is where we disagree, but I guess we can agree to disagree. My point is that this is what can be done about the queue issue besides adding additional servers:

Increase the amount of players that can log onto a single server at one time. Which they have clearly stated as part of what they are fixing today.
  • Options
    rabbiddograbbiddog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure who else read it, but I read a dev post that stated the long queue times were not because of server capacity (or the limit of). They found, shortly after going live, that there was an issue with the queue servers that weren't efficiently processing players into the game. They even stated when they looked at this, none of the shards were at capacity, however players were still waiting in long queues.

*shrugs* In any case, that's what they stated. Not sure how much of it is true or not, But I don't see ant reason for them to lie.
  • Options
    wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    valdorax wrote: »
    As to the earlier posts that were somewhat vague by Cryptic, it's no wonder they are careful with their words, it's complainers like these who go out and give their game a bad name just because it's having normal typical issues that open beta games have, espcially because it's open beta f2p game with many people logging in. Doesn't mean the game sucks, but these people go out and say Oh that game sucks b-lls just because they are mad. I'd be careful how i worded things too.

yeah, see? this i agree with.

people need to blown away right out of the gates. perfect game. perfect balance. perfect performance. which just isn't how mmos fly. cryptic is being honest in my opinion by labeling it as an open beta. but somehow, that even upsets folks.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rabbiddog wrote: »
    Not sure who else read it, but I read a dev post that stated the long queue times were not because of server capacity (or the limit of). They found, shortly after going live, that there was an issue with the queue servers that weren't efficiently processing players into the game. They even stated when they looked at this, none of the shards were at capacity, however players were still waiting in long queues.

*shrugs* In any case, that's what they stated. Not sure how much of it is true or not, But I don't see ant reason for them to lie.

Yes and if this is true, my point remains, they are fixing that login issue or processing issue today as they said, meaning the issue that caused the ultra long queues. My point is that they ARE addressing this today. Additional servers may help later on, but they ARE addressing the queue issue today as they said.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wakerglass wrote: »
    yeah, see? this i agree with.

people need to blown away right out of the gates. perfect game. perfect balance. perfect performance. which just isn't how mmos fly. cryptic is being honest in my opinion by labeling it as an open beta. but somehow, that even upsets folks.

Yeah I don't get it.
  • Options
    rabbiddograbbiddog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes and if this is true, my point remains, they are fixing that login issue or processing issue today as they said, meaning the issue that caused the ultra long queues. My point is that they ARE addressing this today. Additional servers may help later on, but they ARE addressing the queue issue today as they said.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was implying. ;)

BTW, I also agree.

EDIT: BTW, I also think that adding more servers will do nothing until the queue issue is fixed. That would be putting the cart before the horse. Once they fix the queue issue and can accurately see what the real queue times will be under normal operational circumstances, THEN they can determine whether or not more servers are necessary.
  • Options
    gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Long queues on the first day of open beta on a new FTP set in one of the most popular game worlds ever. My box of crayons is not going to be running out of the colour 'Surprised' any time soon. Sure, queuing is annoying. Sure, it shouldn't happen. But give them a chance. If it's anything longer than a five minute wait after 2 weeks and if it doesn't go down to No Queue after a month, then it would be time to reconsider. I'm a Founder and I'm enjoying it a lot so I hope they sort things. But I work for a living and game time is too short to spend it in a queue. I'm confident that the financial logic dictates they will solve it.
  • Options
    banicksbanicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    First, why don't you wait until the patch has been implemented before making assumptions.

Second, Neverwinter is a free-to-play MMO, there is no monthly subscription to which Cryptic can have a large amount of servers like World of Warcraft and so forth.

Third, and finally, it's practically Day 1 syndrome with a patch to resolve problems being rolled out within a 12 hour window. If you don't expect large queues and problems the day a game like this is released you must be completely new to the gaming industry of MMOs.
    Oceanic Neverwinter Online Guild: http://19thbattalion.com/
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rabbiddog wrote: »
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I was implying. ;)

BTW, I also agree.

EDIT: BTW, I also think that adding more servers will do nothing until the queue issue is fixed. That would be putting the cart before the horse. Once they fix the queue issue and can accurately see what the real queue times will be under normal operational circumstances, THEN they can determine whether or not more servers are necessary.

You are correct.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Long queues on the first day of open beta on a new FTP set in one of the most popular game worlds ever. My box of crayons is not going to be running out of the colour 'Surprised' any time soon. Sure, queuing is annoying. Sure, it shouldn't happen. But give them a chance. If it's anything longer than a five minute wait after 2 weeks and if it doesn't go down to No Queue after a month, then it would be time to reconsider. I'm a Founder and I'm enjoying it a lot so I hope they sort things. But I work for a living and game time is too short to spend it in a queue. I'm confident that the financial logic dictates they will solve it.

Same here. Glad to see there are mature people who can be optimistic and have some faith in the developers who know what they are doing and understand more than most of us do. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    banicks wrote: »
    First, why don't you wait until the patch has been implemented before making assumptions.

Second, Neverwinter is a free-to-play MMO, there is no monthly subscription to which Cryptic can have a large amount of servers like World of Warcraft and so forth.

Third, and finally, it's practically Day 1 syndrome with a patch to resolve problems being rolled out within a 12 hour window. If you don't expect large queues and problems the day a game like this is released you must be completely new to the gaming industry of MMOs.

This sums up my line of thought beautifully.
  • Options
    boltsafeboltsafe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Buy the Founders Pack!...and skip the line ;)
  • Options
    epockeredepockered Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Do not assume for one second that Cryptic is not, and will not, make money off of this game. F2P games are cash cows, otherwise companies would not invest time and money into them.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Keep in mind there are several factors that the game have to look into

Bandwidth - this determine on how much traffic it can handle. This can be increase but it can get costly (especially when going upto T1 and higher)

Server limitation - Even with that much bandwidth, the server has to be able to handle that much traffic. There are couple of factors in this.

Hardware limitation - this is the actual hardware. You could have 500GB bandwidth, but only have a 100GB Network card (or cluster of cards)

Instance/Shard - Depending on how the game is coded, it could "spawn" extra shard (i.e. Main city#1 to whatever) but each shard takes up some server resources and bandwidth. Depending on how it is coded, there might be a cap on how many shards (or VM if you want to think about that) this could be hardware limitation also.

Switch issue - this can cause problem when it is being bombarded by LOTS of people, it is trying to direct traffic as best as it can. Now if new shards/instance are being "made" (especially if it is beyond the limit) this could cause a queue to occur while the system is trying to figure out where to place YOU.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    banicksbanicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    epockered wrote: »
    Do not assume for one second that Cryptic is not, and will not, make money off of this game. F2P games are cash cows, otherwise companies would not invest time and money into them.

Thus far Cryptic's target market for zen are vanity players (those wanting to look cool) and those wanting to level professions quickly (those wanting to get end game/economy domanance). I personally believe they have no other target market besides those two people.
    Oceanic Neverwinter Online Guild: http://19thbattalion.com/
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thus far Cryptic's target market for zen are vanity players (those wanting to look cool) and those wanting to level professions quickly (those wanting to get end game/economy domanance). I personally believe they have no other target market besides those two people.

But here they're cashing in on the horse blinkered DnD fanboys who just jump head first into the whole cashgrab <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and will defend till their dying breath.
    Again I will reiterate. NWO is pw2. If you can buy all end game gear off the AH then it is P2W. Look at PWI and note the similarities and crappiness.

PWE make mediocre MMORPGs, milk them dry then let them wallow in ****. Sign up and play one of their other mmo's and tell me i'm wrong.
  • Options
    wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    But here they're cashing in on the horse blinkered DnD fanboys who just jump head first into the whole cashgrab <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and will defend till their dying breath.
    Again I will reiterate. NWO is pw2. If you can buy all end game gear off the AH then it is P2W. Look at PWI and note the similarities and crappiness.

PWE make mediocre MMORPGs, milk them dry then let them wallow in ****. Sign up and play one of their other mmo's and tell me i'm wrong.

p2w technically is when you can buy BETTER gear than what's available by simply playing the game and grinding a bit. so you're wrong. like most people who ever squawk about p2w.
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    punatulkku wrote: »
    Im shocked that there isint any thoughts regarding europe again. Everytime new game goes open beta/launch there isint single hint for downtimes thought for europe, or servers for european gamers. I personally lose interest on supporting game that disregards european gamers.

Should we have the downtime during US primetime? Should they disregard US players? It's one or the other "pal". If the Game servers and the dev team are located in California, then don't you think they should fix things during their morning work hours when everyone is AT WORK, to attend to any issues. Also bringing out the server maintainance crew on their working hours could be part of the issue. Do you want everyone in the US to start working european hours just for some whiny little *****es like you?
  • Options
    brontosbrontos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    fwank2k9 wrote: »
    I paid $60.00 after BW2 to play a game I'd looked forward to for at least a year, excited to have a cool horse and a dire wolf, I'm not a fan of Drow or Spiders, no plan to spend any more money, but I feel like I'm being held hostage suddenly by a Drow riding a spider carrying a sign that says "No Entry to Non-Drow!" (That's a heck of a run-on)

So...you paid 60 bucks for something without even reading what you were paying for? Enjoy your horse and get back into line. You were not paying for the priority access. Acually, i see no Guardian title at your forum profile. Meaning if you actually payed 60 bucks, you'd have it. And last thing-read the patch note and ask your dire wolf to lend you some brain as you cant understand with your tiny brain that phrase "We should now be able to support many more players with significantly less lag" means.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Same here. Glad to see there are mature people who can be optimistic and have some faith in the developers who know what they are doing and understand more than most of us do. :)

Agreed. Does anyone remember Diablo3 launch? Here how it was: http://nowgamer.net-genie.co.uk/siteimage/scale/0/0/328719.gif OMG! Mighty Blizzard f..d up and the game was unplayable and servers unreacheable for 2 days!. And it wasnt FTP. People payed 60 buks for this. Anyone of you remember error 37 from the Diablo 3 launcher? And now you blame FTP project that was flooded with freebie hamsters??? Get real, people.
  • Options
    fwank2k9fwank2k9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never said I expected any queue benefit, you just made yourself sound like a complete idiot. If you read my post, you'd have understood that, good try to be a big boy, but, yeah, keep on trucking, good buddy. And as for the Guardian title, I have no idea, I've had a PWE account for a long time, no idea how or why it's not there, but feel free to find any of my characters in game, and I'll ride my horse around so you can feel special. I'll even introduce you to Ted my dire wolf.

And the statement less lag means less lag, not less queue. I'm glad you made yourself feel cool, it inspired me to type this reply. But since your comment was meaningless, I did a lot of work for nothing, hey that makes it exercise, you helped me burn a calorie, now I can eat that other M&M I was saving for later. Oh my, so tasty... Thanks brontos!
  • Options
    jeronanjeronan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    Is the Queue actually gone? Did they add more shards?

I was Lucky to be among the first and got straight in. So don't dare to log out and for example enter foundry or something. lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It seems gone, good for all of us. I'm happy to see it's not really there, except on Dragon I'm hearing on vent it's a short queue. So almost gone. Hopefully it's gone throughout the night and stays mostly gone during peak hours. That's better than enhancing my queue experience.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gotta love double entries
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    fwank2k9 wrote: »
    And the statement less lag means less lag, not less queue. I'm glad you made yourself feel cool, it inspired me to type this reply. But since your comment was meaningless, I did a lot of work for nothing, hey that makes it exercise, you helped me burn a calorie, now I can eat that other M&M I was saving for later. Oh my, so tasty... Thanks brontos!
    Let me guess. This is the first MMO game you play? Or you have ZERO understanding about server structure. Maybe you should have spend your 60 bucks on M&Ms instead of buying founder package? Ok, let me make a little bit more clear for you, my dead dumb friend. Support more people=no need to wait in queue. At the same time they enlarged server capacity in order to let more people play simultaneosely with no lag. To make it even more clear for your tiny brain filled with fat due to eating too much sweets-try to put whole bag of your M&Ms in your mouth and watch the results. Wish you wont choke yourself to death in process. So, as you can see, you need to create the queue of M&Ms in order to chew them all. But if you'd have bigger mouth you mught have eat the whole bag in one go. That what Cryptic did for you with this patch. Enjoy your meal.
  • Options
    marc54marc54 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    punatulkku wrote: »
    Im shocked that there isint any thoughts regarding europe again. Everytime new game goes open beta/launch there isint single hint for downtimes thought for europe, or servers for european gamers. I personally lose interest on supporting game that disregards european gamers.

Welcome to Oceania for the past decade.
  • Options
    eckexeckex Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I havent' been in a queue since the patch that addressed it, not a single time, for even a .5 second wait.