test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Today's patch fixes the Queue status but not the Queue...

fwank2k9fwank2k9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So according to the patch notes they are going to fix it so you have a correct value for your place in queue. Rejoice, you will now know exactly how many people are ahead of you, and they are adding buttons so you can play with the gateway while you wait. But they are not doing anything to cut the wait time down. So, apparently the biggest issue we all had with the queue was fluctuating numbers, the 2 hour wait was ok. Or are they considering this a great selling point for those last few days the founder's pack is available, "Hey, 2 hour wait time, or spend more money."

I paid $60.00 after BW2 to play a game I'd looked forward to for at least a year, excited to have a cool horse and a dire wolf, I'm not a fan of Drow or Spiders, no plan to spend any more money, but I feel like I'm being held hostage suddenly by a Drow riding a spider carrying a sign that says "No Entry to Non-Drow!" (That's a heck of a run-on)

There have been other games with bad queues, and what they did was adjust their servers to get rid of the queue. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to get up this morning with a couple hours to go before the downtime and never get into the game. Sure it's still Beta, sure it's a new game and they have to sort things out, but it feels like what they are sorting is how to make the most money they can from all the players who would simply like to enjoy their product. And I get that too, but I'm not going to like it.

Fix the queue, I don't care if it tells me I have 430 million people ahead of me, if I get to play before I've finished a pot of coffee waiting. As it stands right now I expect next patch they are going to announce the game will now send text alerts to let you know when you can play. For a fee.
Post edited by fwank2k9 on

Comments

• Options
    emaloreemalore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    Stability
    Several major network issues have been found and addressed. We should now be able to support many more players with significantly less lag.
    Underlined the important bit ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, but that's addressing the lag, that's not addressing the queue times. Those are not the same issue, in any way.
  • Options
    shogrothshogroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Uhmm, yes they are. Since it can support MANY MORE PLAYERS, there will be less need for queue's. Since not being able to support so many players is the reason the queue exists in the first place.
  • Options
    punatulkkupunatulkku Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im shocked that there isint any thoughts regarding europe again. Everytime new game goes open beta/launch there isint single hint for downtimes thought for europe, or servers for european gamers. I personally lose interest on supporting game that disregards european gamers.
  • Options
    limitationxlimitationx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    .. You're actually an idiot. "We should now be able to support more players" SUPPORT= More capacity on servers = less queues.
  • Options
    rkoperrkoper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The fix for the lag was to limit the number of players that could login. You might not have noticed, but the queues jumped up AFTER the rubber banding issue was "fixed". Now they've fixed it right and the queues should go away, or at least diminish.
  • Options
    escurikescurik Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fwank2k9 , don't be a ******bag. Queues are normal for a 1nd day of a BETA. And remember - this is not yet a finished product.

PS Yes - supportin MORE players means LESS queue!
  • Options
    asraeilasraeil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just a hope: servers modifications should not be present in patch notes. So let's hope they will still do that.
  • Options
    syrchsyrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They have removed the queues and you can jump right in and play! Just pay $200.

Honestly, you're complaining about a business model. As long as they have queues, people will wait in them, and those that don't want to wait will more than likely pay up.

They could get rid of the queues if they wanted to, but for now they're a cash cow and they have no reason to get rid of them. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of some free to play players with a bit of a wait the first week and make a bunch of money, or increase costs considerably for zero gain just to please some people that aren't giving them anything in return.
  • Options
    ashleyaddictionashleyaddiction Member Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The queues basically stop the servers from overfilling. Each shard will have a maximum amount of concurrent players, before things get too laggy. This value is hard-coded into the server-side of the game. When the concurrency reaches this cap, queues start. With this maintenance, they're increasing the server concurrency limit, so more players will be allowed into a shard at the same time, thus reducing the queues significantly.
  • Options
    emaloreemalore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    punatulkku wrote: »
    Im shocked that there isint any thoughts regarding europe again. Everytime new game goes open beta/launch there isint single hint for downtimes thought for europe, or servers for european gamers. I personally lose interest on supporting game that disregards european gamers.
    I cannot speak for EU servers, but this maintenance time will not be regular, this is an emergency patch.
  • Options
    vix6uvix6u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    .. You're actually an idiot. "We should now be able to support more players" SUPPORT= More capacity on servers = less queues.

Except he is pointing out that they don't say they are raising the que limit that THEY set. His point is they set the limit and he feels they set it very LOW to get more people to buy the $200 pack.....

Pessimist = they wont adjust the que limit for a couple days to get more money.
    Optimist = they said they can support more so they will of course set the limit much higher and ques will go away, even though they did not say it.
  • Options
    dragonbournedragonbourne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Queuete, real queuete.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm being negative, I'm going ot continue being negative, I'm reading the posts from PWE, reading the facebook page and I see over and over that they are being evasive when replying to questions regarding the actual queue time. Simply stating we are going to make the queue experience easier for people. They are not saying anything about reducing the queue. They are giving us buttons to click. So you believe what you like, I will believe what I like. And in a few hours, maybe you are right, Gods help us if I'm right. I've been having an unpleasant experience thusfar and I have the time to rant about it. I like clear answer, not evasive comments.
  • Options
    dragonbournedragonbourne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    God help us? A little extreme, isn't it? It's just an MMO. Life can provide other distractions, given the opportunity.
  • Options
    floredonfloredon Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're looking for clarity where there is none. They are trying to fix issues that are by nature unpredictable. The only way to really test there changes is to release a patch and see what happens. I don't think you should play games that are in beta, you will only be disappointed. Wait a week, come back to the game and I assure you will be happier for it. As for me, I realize I am helping test the game and have no disappointments thus far.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    God help us? A little extreme, isn't it? It's just an MMO. Life can provide other distractions, given the opportunity.

Like now! Maintenance is happening so Im watching movies and catching up on my Nook reading
  • Options
    alexeraalexera Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Quoted from an admin on this site - The thread is locked because we don't need 50,000 threads about the same issue which is already well known.

Every game has a queue. Sometimes you see it and sometimes you don't. Queue's are normally able to handle dozens-hundreds of logins per second so most times you won't even know they exist.

However in the case of Neverwinter's Launch the queue's themselves had an error. The shards weren't at maximum capacity.
    This should be improved with the patch coming out an hour from now.

So basically the Q itself had an error where it was not filling the servers up. Yeah we may still have a Q, but I doubt it will be anywhere near as long as it was. On top of the fact they are addressing server capacity, so more people will be able to log in and fill the servers before the Q even has to pop up.

Link to the post - http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?171071-Q-why-is-that/page2
  • Options
    spodeanspodean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    F'n get over it all ready!

You seem to read only what you want to read. Also in these patch notes they have improved netcode and can handle more people on the server.

I am a 60$ player as well, remember this is still in beta. You paid to get into the BETA early and a 40$ horse.

The queue will get shorter as time goes, every game that I have encountered a queue is usually soon after release and goes away or gets shorter in due time.

BETA BETA BETA, quit your **** crying already.
  • Options
    olafr20041974olafr20041974 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well i personally think for them the only ones that matter are those who paid the Heroes of the North-package.
  • Options
    kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For those who paid 200 bucks they should be given priority.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    floredonfloredon Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes If someone gave me $200 I would treat them differently as well.
  • Options
    spodeanspodean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fwank2k9 wrote: »
    Yes, but that's addressing the lag, that's not addressing the queue times. Those are not the same issue, in any way.

How is adding more people to the server not addressing queue times? i would say those are the same issues.
  • Options
    tyriatyria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    fwank2k9 wrote: »
    I paid $60.00 after BW2 to play a game I'd looked forward to for at least a year, excited to have a cool horse and a dire wolf, I'm not a fan of Drow or Spiders, no plan to spend any more money, but I feel like I'm being held hostage suddenly by a Drow riding a spider carrying a sign that says "No Entry to Non-Drow!" (That's a heck of a run-on)

There have been other games with bad queues, and what they did was adjust their servers to get rid of the queue.

Fix the queue, I don't care if it tells me I have 430 million people ahead of me, if I get to play before I've finished a pot of coffee waiting. As it stands right now I expect next patch they are going to announce the game will now send text alerts to let you know when you can play. For a fee.

Here's the thing witht the Queue's and the 'perk' of being able to skip the line. And Planetside 2 shows this as a fact in practice. The people who pay the 200$ 'soely' for the perk of skipping queue lines, are buying a 'temporary' perk. Termporary not because the Dev's will remove that perk later on,but because at some point, nomater how much Perfect World wants to NOT do it, they WILL have to open up more servers. They will have to do it, or risk Neverwinter Tanking when the people who 'would have' spent $ on cash-shop eye-candy and boosts (the stuff that pays for the game and their paychecks) yet are unable to do so due to 4 hour lines just to get into the game, decide to leave the game and never come back.

This means that a week, or a month, after 'launch' (im not going to count open beta in this, as there ARE people who never plan to play past launch, but are in the 'open beta' simply because its a beta), We will start to see new servers pop up, or the servers will be upgraded so that more 'shards' can be ran at once. This means those Queue's will go away and that perk will then be useless as there will be no line to skip ahead of, or if there is a line, it'll be a few minuets, not 'hours'.

PS2 had this happen to it. At launch, there were up to 1 hour 'waits' just to change continents. 2 months later, at MOST you're waiting 10 minutes (excluding when an 'alert' happens and every franken person in the game is trying to go to the same place. Those wait times for the alerts were engineered by the Dev's, so don't count in this instance). So, those of us paying a 'sub' to help support the game, get 500 station cash every month, + have the ability to 'jump' the line and have our own high-speed 'prefered' line instead, are only really getting the station-cash as our 'reward' as we hardly ever see the actual 'queue' anymore.
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shame on me for not realising this would inevitably end up like every other Cryptic game; failed and broken.
    Good thing that the nonsense has come to light sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tyria wrote: »
    Here's the thing witht the Queue's and the 'perk' of being able to skip the line. And Planetside 2 shows this as a fact in practice. The people who pay the 200$ 'soely' for the perk of skipping queue lines, are buying a 'temporary' perk. Termporary not because the Dev's will remove that perk later on,but because at some point, nomater how much Perfect World wants to NOT do it, they WILL have to open up more servers. They will have to do it, or risk Neverwinter Tanking when the people who 'would have' spent $ on cash-shop eye-candy and boosts (the stuff that pays for the game and their paychecks) yet are unable to do so due to 4 hour lines just to get into the game, decide to leave the game and never come back.

This means that a week, or a month, after 'launch' (im not going to count open beta in this, as there ARE people who never plan to play past launch, but are in the 'open beta' simply because its a beta), We will start to see new servers pop up, or the servers will be upgraded so that more 'shards' can be ran at once. This means those Queue's will go away and that perk will then be useless as there will be no line to skip ahead of, or if there is a line, it'll be a few minuets, not 'hours'.

PS2 had this happen to it. At launch, there were up to 1 hour 'waits' just to change continents. 2 months later, at MOST you're waiting 10 minutes (excluding when an 'alert' happens and every franken person in the game is trying to go to the same place. Those wait times for the alerts were engineered by the Dev's, so don't count in this instance). So, those of us paying a 'sub' to help support the game, get 500 station cash every month, + have the ability to 'jump' the line and have our own high-speed 'prefered' line instead, are only really getting the station-cash as our 'reward' as we hardly ever see the actual 'queue' anymore.

you expect big things from both Cryptic and PWE. you must be new to ****ty MMORPG companies.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    emalore wrote: »
    I cannot speak for EU servers, but this maintenance time will not be regular, this is an emergency patch.

I can speak for EU players (despite not being one) - Cryptic ALWAYS patches at this 7am-8am PST (server time) window. Sorry.
  • Options
    olafr20041974olafr20041974 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My Problem is, that i think its unexaptable that you (myself) login and choose your char and after that you will be in the queue for around 4 to 6 hours.

At the moment i would login around 8 pm and would be able to play around 2 o'clock in the night (if the whole thing doesn't throw me out, because i am blocking the queue for too long!).
  • Options
    wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    i'm sure the queue issue will just solve itself in a day or two. as it does with any other mmo launch in history. but i do agree with the OP. it sounds like they were speaking about lag and not about capacity with that statement. all you need to do is not underline the part you want to focus on and read the entire statement.
  • Options
    laere89laere89 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    punatulkku wrote: »

Do people honestly forget Blizzard almost does downtime during the same time, and twice the time they're doing it today. Blizzard usually goes from 5am-11am pst. Not to mention the multiple times their maintenance has overextended by hours. How do you expect a company to choose the perfect time between timezones split by 5-6 hours. It just isn't going to happen, so deal with it. They have to do maintenance at some point. Good lord. Can people stop being so self-entitled and just give it a break.