test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Planescape - The Skeleton Key

drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Foundry
91A24094D16D7F721E5F15B3709224517C4FBE78

Hello everyone. I have started writing my campaign. Planescape - The Skeleton Key.

This campaign will take you into the world of Planescape, and tie into the world of Neverwinter. You will take a journey into the worlds of Planescape and uncover all sorts of oddities, treasure and other fun things.

I am choosing not to say much about the quests here in the forums, at least on this post. I want you to experience the story as it happens, not here on the forum. Feel free to post your comments here though. We're well into page 2 now so new comers shouldn't see it right away.

Feel free to post here about your feedback, or your desires for the campaign as it will be an evolving beast.

Other chapters are planned for the near future.

Current quests:

Planescape - The Skeleton Key - shortcode- NWS-DI6VZQOPK

Chapter 1 - The Prime Material - shortcode- NW-DUPGY7BWX -

MMORPG.com Review

#of sidequests: 2 (look around)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-cjJ6yfXDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU4AI1_lXMc

An introduction to a couple major characters, and general plotline. Story - moderate, combat moderate, exploration minimal. Major overhaul recently to version 1.0 see change log for changes. v. b1.00

F52379034E03E573CAA68F8DB353A0CC7311AE87

Chapter 2: The Hunt for the Book of Souls -shortcode- NW-DTGXQJEI

#of sidequests - 2

- presently in beta v b0.06 You hunt down the book of souls in hopes to stop Karameikos. - moderate to heavy combat (depends on your chosen path) - Ability to explore the 13th layer of the Abyss to some degree (currently not much to find, planned future content, there is still some things to find though.)

AF3246BCD06F5D01C1925718069AB1D5D9909518

Chapter 3: The Trap for Karameikos - NW-DI5QA5K59

Having secured The Book of Souls for Tiaga, it was time to formulate a plan. Tiaga has asked that you return to her home in Neverwinter to help formulate this plan. A couple days have passed since you last met up with her. Will this finally be the end to the threat of Karameikos? One can hope so. After surviving the Abyss, what could be worse?

51CD79E7926325F3DE87AC49C543978E74400F08

The Gray Wastes perhaps...?

Chapter 4: An Angel's Wrath - NW-DOALPDSHS

Tiaga's home had been compromised, forcing she and Ariel into hiding. Time and time again Karameikos has been one step ahead of you and Tiaga. This time will be different. The Angel has a plan to strike a significant blow to the evil lich and it is up to you to help her achieve this goal. After saving her from the Gray Wastes, what could she have up her sleeve this time? Time will tell.

Combat - Medium to Heavy
Challenge - meant for level 10+ preferably 16+ encounters were designed to be solo'ed but will challenge a solo player.
Lore: Medium
Fun: Epic

Chapter 5: Portals (coming soon)

Having finally struck a significant blow to the evil lich, it was time to strike again. Tiaga had made mention of Karameikos' lieutenant, who was a Githyanki portal mage. The foul creature was using this mage's skills to shuttle his evil plans around the multiverse. He was too dangerous to be left alive and had to be removed. Ariel has managed to intercept some of the plans of the undead army and it was time to set up a trap for the portal mage.

Chapter 6: coming soon (finale)

Campaign #2 - Planescape - *** ******** *** (not censored, redacted.)

Ch.1 - TBD

Ch.2 - TBD

Ch.3 - TBD (finale)

# Sidequests are optional quests I have put into the quest in areas for the explorer in you. Some additional lore and conversations can be had on these quests and sometimes challenging fights. There is no quest glowey for these as they are optional content that is not a part of the main story, or the main focus i want the player to follow. Some of them will provide more back story to the ongoing main story.

Enjoy,

Drake
8IxArUQf.jpg
A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
Post edited by drakedge2 on

Comments

• lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pre or Post Factol era ?

Once I have my new system in May I plan on doing some Ravenloft themed content.
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sweet, Ravenloft was my first adventure into DND. As far as pre or post Factol era, I guess you will just have to play and find out. Though the prologue only dips its toes into Planescape.

I will though be basing it off of the old boxed set that came out way back when. So it should be some fun. We will have to see though. I have a sinking worry that people won't enjoy a good story driven game.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    drakedge2 wrote: »
    I have a sinking worry that people won't enjoy a good story driven game.

Some won't, but you might be surprised at how many do.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's good. I am still very much a **** in the foundry. I need to make an angel, but there only seems to be demons and no option to add like wings to my custom costumes?

haha newbie is filtered.

Also it said that my quest was published, but when i put in the short code, nothing comes up in search while in the actual game?
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have a sinking worry that people won't enjoy a good story driven game.

Don't tell that to Bioware.
    edited April 2013
    Haha true, I am still concerned though that the published quest is not showing up in search.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Prologue Change Log:

Current Version is Beta

- Known Bugs -
    The NPCs do not run in Tieanen.
    Certain sound effects, music, and other sounds do not play as intended. (Or at all sometimes.) This is a bug known by Cryptic and should be fixed soon.

- Changelog -

vb0.02
    The city of Tieanen is now more alive.
    vb0.03
    Optional conversations with party goers now available.
    vb0.04
    Added tables to get rid of unused quest items.
    Added more life to the city of Tieanen
    vb0.05
    Added more life to the city of Tieanen
    vb0.06
    Altered the boss fight with the captain of the guard to be a little bit easier.
    Changed the quest portion "Kill the Zombies" to "Save the Peasants"
    Increased the amount of combat before the boss fight.
    Changed the costumes of the fallen guards.
    Changed the group names of all mobs.
    vb1.00
    Major updates to the quest.
    Added Tieanen Castle
    Added additional NPCs
    Added additional side quests
    Changed the city of Tieanen
    Updated objectives
    Fixed Tiaga double spawn in the hall of the portal
    -- these fixes took 12 hours, haha i hope you enjoy --
    vb1.01
    Fixed dancers in Castle Tieanen
    Added Bartender in Castle Tieanen
    Fixed Statues in Tieanen city aftermath
    Fixed bugged NPC in Tieanen Aftermath
    Fixed the bar in Tieanen Aftermath
    vb1.02
    Made last fight in the aftermath slightly more challenging. (Still solo-able did it at level 10 with all classes)
    vb1.03
    Fixed odd candle flames in the castle of Tieanen
    Fixed broken costumes for undead in city of Tieanen ( i hope)
    Fixed no quest trail glowey on return to Tiaga's home by adding quest objective "Go meet back up with Tiaga"
    Moved reward chest to inside Tiaga's Home.
    vb1.04
    moved reward chest to better spot
    fixed NPC names in Tieanen city
    Fixed talking tree
    fixed costumes of undead (hopefully this time)
    vb1.05
    Fixed some typos, and spelling errors. Thank you for your feedback on this, please find more of them!
    Added optional side quests inside Castle Tieanen (explore it before you talk with the king)
    Added additional Lore to Fielty, and more conversation options.
    Added additional NPCs to Castle Tieanen
    Altered the encounter with King Tieanen, he should now be nye unkillable. (you are supposed to run away, not kill him, running away will cause him to despawn, staying to fight will kill you.)
    vb1.06
    Fixed the talking trees again, thank you for putting those back in with the patch cryptic.
    vb1.07
    Fixed the quest being broken entirely by the most recent patch.
    vb1.08
    Fixed Tiaga's first conversation pieces
    Fixed Marian visuals
    Added more fire to the city of Tieanen
    Added musicians to the party and castle
    Added additional optional conversations
    Fixed conversation with the captain of the guard.
    vb1.09 - a big fix thanks to the help of @platinu
    Fixed a lot of spelling errors, punctuation errors, and changed most of the past tense to present where applicable.
    Changed the last words with the king to read: ((Panic overwhelms you and you run away.)) {DM Note, this is not a boss fight, you are meant to run away.}
    vb1.10
    Changed objectives in City of Tieanen aftermath
    Changed last boss fight to make it more doable at higher levels.
    vb1.20
    Added additional side quests to the sidequest chain inside castle Tieanen, ultimately leading to an end goal.
    vb1.21
    Fixed Initial conversation with Alrica
    Fixed Conversation with the Begger
    Fixed conversation with Ariel at the end
    Fixed conversation with the King
    vb1.22
    Fixed some spelling and past / present tense errors.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So excited for this! I love the PS campaign setting!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
    edited April 2013
    It should be fun, I am working on the first chapter right now, the prologue is a bit short, but that's what a prologue should be in my opinion haha.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited April 2013
    I need to make some NPC's run, when I had them selected, I figured I would have them do a single one direction patrol thing. I upped the patrol speed at first to 10 feet per second, and then 20, 30 , even up to 500 but they just seem to lazily walk away haha. Once I figure out how to make them run this part of the prologue should be better.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I don't think the feet/sec variable works just yet. Maybe it does when the game is published, but not in test mode.
    edited April 2013
    Chapter one is going to take a while. However as a hint, the first map of the Abyss is nearing completion, I need to tweak it a little bit but it should be good when it's ready.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Chapter one is being published now.

It is available in game to play, I hope that you enjoy! Feel free to leave feedback here, or in the game. I read both. Also feel free to ask questions, or if you have a suggestion like "hey drake it would be cool if in part blah blah such and such and so forth"

NW-DTGXQJEI

Current version is Beta

-known bugs-
    There are gaps in the map on the Abyss. This could be considered flavor gaps as the Abyss is meant to be an infinite hole. I dont feel that these gaps detract and have no plans to fix them yet.

Some creatures have unintended skins. This is a weird bug I dont know how to fix, all the creature have the proper skins in the foundry.

-Change log-
    v0.02
    Fixed portal in the Temple of Trials
    Fixed Balor fights being too easy.
    Fixed the return portal in Tiaga's House.
    Fixed the name of the bookshelf.
    Fixed the name of the Altar in the Temple of Trials.
    Fixed Tiaga's Doppleganger
    Fixed conversation with the Ghost.
    v0.03
    Added optional conversation with Ariel Fellsword.
    v0.04
    Added tables at the end that will allow you to get rid of unused quest items.
    V0.05
    Added exploration items to the Abyss.
    Added environment items to the Temple of Trials.
    Added the Glorious Captain Finkle - somewhere in the Abyss.
    V0.06
    Minor tweaks of placed objects.
    V0.07
    Toned down the last boss fight for those that don't find the amulet.
    v0.08
    Fixed a bug where if you die in the abyss, it spawns you off of the map and kills you again (woops sorry about that!)
    v1.0
    Changed version number, to encourage more plays. Additional fixes to come.
    v1.10
    Added additional side quest to the Temple of Trials (go left before you speak with the ghost down the path that way and speak with the treasure hunter.)
    Added additional optional monsters to the Abyss.
    v1.11
    Moved reward chest to Tiaga's house - this should hopefully reduce the amount of bugs with the rewards.
    v1.12
    Changed the Abyss, added some effects to the paths beneath you, changed the lighting to make it darker, but could only do so much sadly.
    v1.13
    Changed the last boss fight to be more doable for later levels. Do the Amulet sidequest for a standard difficulty boss, skip it for brutal mode.
    Abyssal encounters can be solo pulled, be careful.
    v1.14
    Changed optional hilarious chicken fight. (People please don't take this fight seriously, even the guy that leads you to the fight tells you not to. Don't take the sidequest if you are going to complain it detracts from the story lol =P
    Added quest trail to find the room in front of the temple. This should help the hopelessly lost. I am not going to hand the temple to you, you are supposed to find it.
    Brought the Bone Fiend back to the right level of difficulty near the Amulet.
    Added magical fire after placing the amulet, this should help those that find it realize what it did for them.
    Added conversation after placing the amulet to further give detail to your accomplishment.
    v1.15
    Fixed a lot of spelling errors, and past / present tense errors. Thank you Google!
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Chapter 2 - The Trap for Karameikos

Having secured The Book of Souls for Tiaga, it was time to formulate a plan. Tiaga has asked that you return to her home in Neverwinter to help formulate this plan. A couple days have passed since you last met up with her. Will this finally be the end to the threat of Karameikos? One can hope so. After surviving the Abyss, what could be worse?

51CD79E7926325F3DE87AC49C543978E74400F08

The Gray Wastes perhaps...

Current version: Beta

-Known Bugs-
    Sounds dont work - cryptic based bug

-Change Log-
    v1.01
    Fixed a couple spelling errors.
    Moved the book of souls to a better spot.
    v1.02
    Added optional imagination bridges to Limbo to help those that can't jump.
    v1.03
    Minor Fixes to Limbo
    v1.04
    Minor fixes to Limbo
    v1.05
    Fixed People Randomly Spawning in the ground in Limbo & Gray Wastes
    v1.06
    Fixed complete blackness in Tiaga's home at night. This was a bug due to an asset being replaced while I was with out internet. (fade to black detail item that I was using to test blacking the windows out, it didnt work, I deleted it and it was placed back in there some how while i was away lol)
    v1.07
    Fixed spelling and past / present tense errors. Thank you Google!
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Just a quick note, I had a couple reviews saying i should use custom maps. In the prologue it made more sense to use the city template rather than spending an eon in the editor creating a city from scratch when in the foundry we only have straight roads that we can place.

For chapter one, someone also said that it is a copy paste of the spell something or other map, but this is impossible since i created all the maps in chapter one myself. The foundry gives you a limited amount of rooms to choose from, the authors can only really try and place various detail items to try and spice things up a little bit and change the mood around.

For example, there are 3 or 4 city square type maps, short of you creating one for yourself and competing with the 1500 asset resource. Not that it can't be done, but for a quest that takes 15 minutes, I don't wish to spend 3 months building a believable city ya know?

Also as a side note, version 0.06 of the prologue is published. I made some changes as noted in the change log a couple posts above this one.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Major update to the prologue, please check the change log on page one. Prologue is now in version beta 1.00

If you have already played the prologue, this update should be big enough to warrant a second playthrough.

Please post your feedback here, spelling errors, and other little tid bits that you run into so i can fix them =)

LOL Also, shameless begging, but please play my quest so I can get enough plays to start counting for the dailies?
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited April 2013
    updated the prologue again, added additional side quests and optional lore to castle Tieanen. (Go explore before you meet up with the king.)
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    UPDATE: The name of the quest has changed from Prologue to The Prime Material

Campaign: Planescape - The Skeleton Key
    NWS-DI6VZQOPK

Quest: The Prime Material NW-DUPGY7BWX
    Author: @Drakedge2
    Forum Name: Drakedge2
    Reviewed by @jedensuscg
    Forum Name: hercooles130uscg

In one sentence: A solid first quest from an author that promises good things with future updates.

Mission Graph
    prologue_zpsdac3ab9e.jpg

Ratings Out of 5
    Overall 4 Stars
    Story 4
    Combat 3
    D&D lore 4
    Puzzles N/A
    Exploration 3

Story
    As in intro to a longer campaign, the story had a lot crammed into it. At first it is light, and you just follow the motions not sure of your avatars motivations or what is really going on. You just...do. At the, a lot is but it is almost too much at one time if you truly try to get it all. The story itself is good, but not great. Again it’s a prologue, it opens up characters and events, but it is not the most original yet. Time will tell. The writing style is well done however, and great use of OOC tries to paint a better picture of what is going on.

Combat
    There is a lot of it. While there are moments where you find some different elements, most of it is just filler. Nothing really stood out in this department. It had its moments of pretty good difficulty, but also had the many small time mobs that are just around every corner. Combat is average here. Just might have been a little too much for my personal taste in based on the amount of story was being told.

D&D Lore
    It is based Planescape, which I admit I am not very knowledgeable about. The high D&D lore rating was given in how it blends together the two campaign settings.

Puzzles
    I found no puzzles. Not a bad thing, not every quest needs them.

Exploration and Environment
    There was opportunity to explore and talk to various optional NPC’s and get a better grasp on events, as well as some side quests. However, due to much of the maps using premade setups, exploring the larger areas were not really exciting. Even building a custom room and auto-populating it will make it look identical to the same room auto-populated in a different quest. The level design in general again, flaws from the use of premade assets more, but you also can guarantee that the levels will be well designed in the first place, and working properly. And it is obvious some maps should be premade, to keep continuity in place and for massive time to produce large detailed maps. As for the sound, well Cryptic needs to get on that ASAP, it would be great to have the full working sounds in all the maps, that I am sure are there. Of course, this is an issue with the entire Foundry and Cryptic and no fault of the author.

Bugs
    Personally I did not find any bugs.

Remember this is my PERSONAL opinion and of course, may not jive with other players or the author.

Read my review on Chapter 1 - The Hunt for the Book of Soul here
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for the detailed review! I saw your note in game about not being able to ask Tiaga any questions at the end of the Prologue.
    This is more a story choice than anything really. Don't worry though, you will be able to ask her plenty of questions in chapter 1.

I find your review fair and balanced, and thank you for your feedback. =) I to can't wait for Cryptic to fix the sounds, these UGC quests lose so much flavor with out them. I look forward to trying out your quest, I am nose deep in creating chapter 2 for mine right now haha.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • sterissteris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Small bug that I found today. Releasing to the first campfire in The Abyss put my character outside (or just below) of the map, causing him to fall to his death. Releasing from the bottom of the world just causes it again. The only way I was able to get out was to release and hit the "Go back to Last Map" button before hitting the ground.

Otherwise, Prologue was fun, with good action and story. Didn't really play enough of the First Chapter to get into it.
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for the detailed review! I saw your note in game about not being able to ask Tiaga any questions at the end of the Prologue.
    This is more a story choice than anything really. Don't worry though, you will be able to ask her plenty of questions in chapter 1.

I find your review fair and balanced, and thank you for your feedback. =) I to can't wait for Cryptic to fix the sounds, these UGC quests lose so much flavor with out them. I look forward to trying out your quest, I am nose deep in creating chapter 2 for mine right now haha.

Ya, my quest feels dead without the sounds, and I am tentative about releasing the second part until they are finished. First impressions and all.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
    edited April 2013
    @Steris - The spawn bug should be fixed in the Abyss.

After many hours of hard work, I am proud to say that version BETA 1.0 of Chapter 2: The Trap for Karameikos is now ready for you to play.

I hope that you Enjoy =D

Pro Tip: Jump in Limbo...
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Beta 0.01? That sounds like something where you've plopped down the first NPC and then grew tired of the whole thing and clicked the Publish button. ;) If you want to follow the standards people expect, I suggest setting the version number to 1.00 instead. This 0.01 thing will just scare people away.

The Karameikos thing is intriguing though, particularly since that's a completely different setting from The Forgotten Realms in which Neverwinter takes place. Is this some kind of planar travel thing?
    edited April 2013
    It is yeah, and I use the 0.01 format because when I feel that the majority of the bugs and spelling errors, and combat and such provides enough balance, and such i push it into the 1.0 phase.

I feel that though the quest is complete there are a lot of things I want to add before considering it a 1.0 quest. These additions are mostly cosmetic, things like optional side quests, optional additional conversations with NPCs and a bunch of side stuff for the exploration style player.

However I see your point and will change the numbers around =)
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited April 2013
    So I tried my quests as a level 4 character... I strongly recommend that you be level 10 + to do these. The encounters are more designed for this level. As well as having a companion with you will certainly help you in the fights.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Just updated Chapter 1 with two side quests, one relevant to the story, and another one... well... you will just have to see i guess. You will find both of these new side quests inside The Temple of Trials.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • plaxy100plaxy100 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will definantly at least be watching the progress of this hopefully we get to see Sigil and some faction intrigue that goes hand n Hand with the planescape setting. assuming anough resources could be made to handle it, Though I doubt with this engine be able to represent fully what being in Sigil would be like.
  • duskdweller78duskdweller78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @Steris - The spawn bug should be fixed in the Abyss.

After many hours of hard work, I am proud to say that version BETA 1.0 of Chapter 2: The Trap for Karameikos is now ready for you to play.

I hope that you Enjoy =D

Pro Tip: Jump in Limbo...

Karameikos?!?!!?!?!? I need to try your quest :p
    Campaign:Different Seasons
    Author: @BardicKnowledge
    Q1: Prologue - The Lady and the Worm NW-DPQPJSVTH
    Tags: #Challenge, #Story, #Solo, #Group
    edited May 2013
    plaxy100 wrote: »
    I will definantly at least be watching the progress of this hopefully we get to see Sigil and some faction intrigue that goes hand n Hand with the planescape setting. assuming anough resources could be made to handle it, Though I doubt with this engine be able to represent fully what being in Sigil would be like.

I am trying to figure out how to build Sigil with the current toolset that we have. I would love to take the player there, but the costume choices we have for NPCs doesnt really fit the artistic flavor of Sigil in my opinion. Also it will be hard to represent the torus shape of the city and the never ending loop of it.

Not to say that I won't try though haha, just saying it won't be the Sigil from torment haha.

I would like it if all costumes from the game were available to foundry creators, including those from the zen store for our NPCs.

@Duskdweller - I would love for you to try it out! I hope you have fun with it.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Updated the prologue, check the change log for details. Thank you very much for your help with these changes @platinu.
    8IxArUQf.jpg