test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Planescape - The Skeleton Key

Comments

• drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for the fair review Steppenkat, I just read it. I liked it. I do plan on returning to chapter 1 and finishing up the sidequest. It is going to give the exploration player a bit more back story to what is going on. I just am valuing finishing chapter 5 a bit more right now than refining some older quests.

I am also trying to clean up the grammar and any remaining spelling errors. I really want these bugs done. I have done a couple passes through the dialogues but I can't find them all and need help from people that find these errors.

In fact, post #106 here http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?148441-Planescape-The-Skeleton-Key/page11 is asking for help in this matter, and offering a few rewards for such help.

Thank you again for both enjoying, and writing a constructive feedback style review =)
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • templar1975templar1975 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Drakedge2, Lightflare here, looking forward to the next chapter, this is my fav foundry campaign thanks and keep up the awesome work
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Drakedge2, Lightflare here, looking forward to the next chapter, this is my fav foundry campaign thanks and keep up the awesome work

Thank you very much! Progress on chapter 5 is continuing. I hope to have it out by Sunday, but that is an ambitious goal, and wednesday is more realistic.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
    edited May 2013
    Nothing like a stormy night in a ... Neverwinter Village... progress on chapter 5 continues... (bright because of the lightning flash.)

CD4B883D1D70FE6F021BC958685465A6F5780B47
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Hello Everyone,

Dev Blog here... Chapter 5 is chugging along, I have the first two areas built, and am adding details to them. However... given my ADD and some recently acquired new knowledge of tricks of the trade, I will be returning to chapters 1 - 4 to polish them up and bring them up to "release candidate" stages. This will bring each chapter to version 2.0 so there might be some continuity issues in the maps.

Specifically, Tiaga's house between chapters 1 - 3. Please take note of the version of the quest you are on. If you are in a version 1.xx quest, it is before the 2.0 changes. When I finish with the release candidates for these quests I will fine tune the details in them through versions 2.xx. After everything is working as intended, bugs and dialogue errors are ironed out then we will be at the release stage of the chapters. Version 3.00, which will be submitted to Cryptic for possible featuring.

Please keep your eyes open for version 2.0 of Chapter 1 - The Prime Material which should come out this week. (I will post here again when it is released).

I hope you continue to enjoy my stories, and forgive the delay on Chapter 5, I really want to provide a more polished experience as I learn more and more tricks and tools in the foundry.

~Drake
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Chapter 1: Project 2.0 progress

6382C65278E6420E5027453708DA8024F44C5E02

430858B4F69FE84DCB23A43483F888F50C45CAF8

F7D3A1B6B998E32F2E2CA8BB9C06A05303D66F55
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Chapter 5 - Sigil complete...

1AA033A1DF4E017708FB9E7EFD89A30F510FA9B8
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    big update to chapter 4, the dungeon of Tieanen should now be a little more creepy.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    updated visuals in chapter 2
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • silentsinssilentsins Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Single best foundry questline that I've played so far. I did have a bit of an issue with a certain encounter accompanied by lots of fire and even more camera shake, but otherwise, keep up the good work!
    edited May 2013
    I am glad you enjoyed it! I am working on version 2.0 of chapters 1 - 4 right now, and finishing up chapter 5 as well. It's a lot of work, but it is coming out nicely.

Was your issue the challenge of the fight that you were able to overcome? Or was it a bug you ran into? That particular fight is meant to leave the solo player pumping their fist and shouting F yeah I did it! While, not overwhelming them with adds like Cryptic does.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    A recent redo of chapter 2 has been released. Decorated up some areas in there.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • zinnrathzinnrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love this series, though I know nothing of planescape; I had to, however, abandon Chapter 3 as the fights were too hard. I played as a level 29 cleric and 4 assassins at once on the platform was just too many. After getting booted off the platform for the 4th time (just in that fight) I threw in the towel.
    edited May 2013
    -Duplicate-
    edited May 2013
    zinnrath wrote: »
    I love this series, though I know nothing of planescape; I had to, however, abandon Chapter 3 as the fights were too hard. I played as a level 29 cleric and 4 assassins at once on the platform was just too many. After getting booted off the platform for the 4th time (just in that fight) I threw in the towel.

I am sorry to hear that. The encounters in Limbo are just 3 separate encounters. ( two standards and a hard all on separate platforms with no stacking.) If you like I will run that quest with you, so that you can see it to the end.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • hipppiethegreathipppiethegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Drakedge! I just wanted to tell you how much I love this campaign. I'm a huge fan of Planescape and you have done a very nice job with this. When I first started playing Neverwinter with my friends the Foundry idea was what had me interested and this series sold me on the whole concept. Can't wait to see more!
    edited May 2013
    Drakedge! I just wanted to tell you how much I love this campaign. I'm a huge fan of Planescape and you have done a very nice job with this. When I first started playing Neverwinter with my friends the Foundry idea was what had me interested and this series sold me on the whole concept. Can't wait to see more!

Thank you! I am working on revamping chapters 1 - 4 right now. I hope to have chapter 5 out soon as well.

I am very glad you are enjoying it so far, and hope you and your friends continue to enjoy it =)
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Prologue:
    initial questgiver : envelop -> envelope, typo.
    The doorguard with fancy armor after you take a horse ride, one conversation line is missing a period.
    Lighting a banner on fire draped across the street was very impressive.
    Ariel Fellsword's dialog when I return from Darwinia is a bit agressive considering.

Chapter 1 starts with "press f to go to next map" when entering Tiaga's home.
    While the royal crypt room looks very nice, perhaps block off the portal chamber and enter there. the running through the straight section is needless at least through this chapter, and doesn't seem to be logically needed by her to have crypt space (since the room includes built in crypts).
    Speaking with Tiaga at the portal, the Amulet of Mysteries is a name, and should be capitalized (especially since the same sentence says Guardian of Mysteries), as should Abyss. She also refers to the book of Souls, when elsewhere it's the Book of Souls.
    When the Glorious Spelljammer guy dies, he's still there and you can talk to him again. He should disappear on the death node of his conversation (and maybe a dead body appear).
    The cave room - small cave room connection was correctly blocked off, not easy because of Cryptic, but you did it, most authors miss this.
    By the lead of faith, the balor and tiefling costumes seem to be switched, the balor died really quickly while the tiefling was breathing fire on me like a Shocktroop Devil. Elsewhere, the balors are Shocktroop Devils.
    The giant door near the leap of faith isn't centered in the arch.
    "Press f to go to next map" at the leap of faith.
    I found the duck.
    When asking about the easy path, and then the Path of Hardship, it's not capitalized though it is elsewhere when the ghost is talking.
    The hidden arrow trap inside the block on the easy path: because you can't disarm it and monsters will not cross traps, you only need to draw the monsters and can kill them with ranged at your leisure. Maybe that's intentional since it's the easy path.
    Just past the block, a skeleton soldier and archer are stuck in the wall.
    After gathering the Book of Souls, "press f to go to next map".
    When returning to the house, I can use the tables to place the envelope, but the envelope was a prologue item unless I missed an envelope in this chapter.
    Cryptic auto-removed quest items from Foundry quests when leaving the quest (at least they're supposed to), so the tables really shouldn't be necessary.
    When returning, Ariel refers to the abyss, abyss should be capitalized as she's referring to the plane.
    When speaking with her about Sigil, she says "asked me", it should be "ask me".
    Outlands should be capitalized as it's the name of the plane.
    When she refers to the prime when speaking about the Astral, Prime should be capitalized as she is referring to the plane and not a person from the plane.
    When speaking with Tiaga she asks whether you found the amulet, one pc response is capitalized, the other isnt

So far excellent and both 5/5. I will probably not do another chapter until tomorrow so I can max tip again.
    edited May 2013
    Prologue:
    initial questgiver : envelop -> envelope, typo.
    The doorguard with fancy armor after you take a horse ride, one conversation line is missing a period.
    Lighting a banner on fire draped across the street was very impressive.
    Ariel Fellsword's dialog when I return from Darwinia is a bit agressive considering.

Chapter 1 starts with "press f to go to next map" when entering Tiaga's home.
    While the royal crypt room looks very nice, perhaps block off the portal chamber and enter there. the running through the straight section is needless at least through this chapter, and doesn't seem to be logically needed by her to have crypt space (since the room includes built in crypts).
    Speaking with Tiaga at the portal, the Amulet of Mysteries is a name, and should be capitalized (especially since the same sentence says Guardian of Mysteries), as should Abyss. She also refers to the book of Souls, when elsewhere it's the Book of Souls.
    When the Glorious Spelljammer guy dies, he's still there and you can talk to him again. He should disappear on the death node of his conversation (and maybe a dead body appear).
    The cave room - small cave room connection was correctly blocked off, not easy because of Cryptic, but you did it, most authors miss this.
    By the lead of faith, the balor and tiefling costumes seem to be switched, the balor died really quickly while the tiefling was breathing fire on me like a Shocktroop Devil. Elsewhere, the balors are Shocktroop Devils.
    The giant door near the leap of faith isn't centered in the arch.
    "Press f to go to next map" at the leap of faith.
    I found the duck.
    When asking about the easy path, and then the Path of Hardship, it's not capitalized though it is elsewhere when the ghost is talking.
    The hidden arrow trap inside the block on the easy path: because you can't disarm it and monsters will not cross traps, you only need to draw the monsters and can kill them with ranged at your leisure. Maybe that's intentional since it's the easy path.
    Just past the block, a skeleton soldier and archer are stuck in the wall.
    After gathering the Book of Souls, "press f to go to next map".
    When returning to the house, I can use the tables to place the envelope, but the envelope was a prologue item unless I missed an envelope in this chapter.
    Cryptic auto-removed quest items from Foundry quests when leaving the quest (at least they're supposed to), so the tables really shouldn't be necessary.
    When returning, Ariel refers to the abyss, abyss should be capitalized as she's referring to the plane.
    When speaking with her about Sigil, she says "asked me", it should be "ask me".
    Outlands should be capitalized as it's the name of the plane.
    When she refers to the prime when speaking about the Astral, Prime should be capitalized as she is referring to the plane and not a person from the plane.
    When speaking with Tiaga she asks whether you found the amulet, one pc response is capitalized, the other isnt

So far excellent and both 5/5. I will probably not do another chapter until tomorrow so I can max tip again.

Kama thank you so much for this. This is extremely helpful! I am glad you enjoy the story and campaign so far. I will work these corrections into version 2.0 of chapters 1 - 4 (that I am working on now.)

Thank you again this is a huge help.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    drakedge2 wrote: »
    I am sorry to hear that. The encounters in Limbo are just 3 separate encounters. ( two standards and a hard all on separate platforms with no stacking.) If you like I will run that quest with you, so that you can see it to the end.

I appreciate your offer, but my cleric is just a wimp. I may try again with my wizard who it least does more damage.
    edited May 2013
    Sure thing no problem, let me know though if you want help. I am more than happy to help out.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    With Tiaga: I had some more questions for you? This is not normally a question but a statement and so should end in a period. This same thing happens at the end of the quest with Tiaga.
    In the master bedroom, one torch is parallel to the wall (it would be lighting it on fire if it wasn't a game...)
    When you wake up, the bed in Tiaga's room is in a different place in the room (I think, I'd have to double check).
    After you save Ariel: "The cant is that Karameikos" The correct word is chant, cant is for the language, chant is the specific word for news and information, which is what Ariel is telling you. (can you tell I wrote about 50k words in Thieves Cant for a campaign and borrowed planar cant for some things?)
    You don't really have any reason to dream up a bridge, there's no reason you can know you could do that given the previous story where you're treated as a clueless Prime and you don't have any lines indicating you have done any planar travel. The Glorious Spelljammer tells you to think up a hat, which tells you that you can influence the plane, but he does this after you're already thought up the bridge. So the bridge is nifty, but seems to be a plot logic error.
    When speaking with Zinkle and you say "I bet I could", there is a missing period.
    There's no lines referencing the fact the Glorious Spelljammer could die in Chapter 2. "Aren't you dead?"
    With the spelljammer "To the gray wastes", plane name was not capitalized.
    Ariel also has a sentence where gray wastes is not capitalized.
    Ariel refers to cant, it's chant as above.
    When you find Tiaga, the second pc response has Torment capitalized in the middle of a sentence. Unless it's intentional as an easter egg, it's wrongly capitalized.
    Carry her to safety, Safety was capitalized.
    With Tiaga at the end, book of Souls, capitalization.

Anyway, another 5 star/500AD.
    edited May 2013
    With Tiaga: I had some more questions for you? This is not normally a question but a statement and so should end in a period. This same thing happens at the end of the quest with Tiaga.
    In the master bedroom, one torch is parallel to the wall (it would be lighting it on fire if it wasn't a game...)
    When you wake up, the bed in Tiaga's room is in a different place in the room (I think, I'd have to double check).
    After you save Ariel: "The cant is that Karameikos" The correct word is chant, cant is for the language, chant is the specific word for news and information, which is what Ariel is telling you. (can you tell I wrote about 50k words in Thieves Cant for a campaign and borrowed planar cant for some things?)
    You don't really have any reason to dream up a bridge, there's no reason you can know you could do that given the previous story where you're treated as a clueless Prime and you don't have any lines indicating you have done any planar travel. The Glorious Spelljammer tells you to think up a hat, which tells you that you can influence the plane, but he does this after you're already thought up the bridge. So the bridge is nifty, but seems to be a plot logic error.
    When speaking with Zinkle and you say "I bet I could", there is a missing period.
    There's no lines referencing the fact the Glorious Spelljammer could die in Chapter 2. "Aren't you dead?"
    With the spelljammer "To the gray wastes", plane name was not capitalized.
    Ariel also has a sentence where gray wastes is not capitalized.
    Ariel refers to cant, it's chant as above.
    When you find Tiaga, the second pc response has Torment capitalized in the middle of a sentence. Unless it's intentional as an easter egg, it's wrongly capitalized.
    Carry her to safety, Safety was capitalized.
    With Tiaga at the end, book of Souls, capitalization.

Anyway, another 5 star/500AD.

Thank you again Kama! I will be sure to look through these issues on my 2.0 revisions once i get to chapter 3. Let me know what you think of chapter 4 when you get there kind sir.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Sure thing no problem, let me know though if you want help. I am more than happy to help out.
    Would you mind if I asked you a couple of questions about the Foundry?
    edited May 2013
    By all means feel free, I will answer what I can, or point you in the right direction.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    By all means feel free, I will answer what I can, or point you in the right direction.
    I am trying to create an encounter on a floating rock (similar to those in your chapter 3). Every attempt I have made has resulted in a bunch of error (one for each actor) saying "move to acceptable position" (or similar). I can place boxes on the rocks with no problem.

A related thing I have run into... When adding other rocks (or buildings) in the distance (very close) they appear on the map in a different position (x,z) than where I placed them. They also cannot be viewed at all from the existing rocks.

I assume you have had to resolve these difficulties in your plane...

Any light you can shed would be welcome.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, so some maps have a shallower ceiling than others. If you push an object above the ceiling of the map it will give you that error. For example I tried making this:Sigil Street using a prefab city piece for the under half where the player could walk, so that I could make the upper half of the city myself.

Problem was, that the city maps had a ceiling of like 200y, as such I could not bring the city top high enough. The outdoor blank maps though seem to have a ceiling of 1000.

In Chapter 3, I used a blank grass map and built from scratch everything between 200 - 600 y. The main player path runs along a 500y value. Unfortunately due to the nature of the grass and limited places to actually place objects i had to cover the grass with that beyond ugly red UV plane.

It was the only way to cover the grass, if i tried covering it with fog, it would be too much fog and not all of it would render, and what did render would lag the player making them unable to jump.

Basically, long story short, try making that map on a blank outdoor map, or find a map with a high enough ceiling for the effect you need.

As far as not being able to see them, try rotating them a bit. Sometimes they have invisible bottoms or sides, and can only be seen when looking at them in the right way.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    From your reply, I am guessing that my problems are due to having (most of) the map being below 0 Y. I'll try fiddling with that to see what happens.

That didn't work, so it looks like I have to recreate everything outdoors...
    (I had hoped that the limits were +- infinity) :-/

OK, I created a new outdoor map and was able to resolve the problems. BTW I was able to hide the grass by using several layers of fog on the backdrop.
    edited May 2013
    "press f to go to next map" when leaving the PE
    "you pick up the Missing portal orb", capitalization.
    Press f to go to next map when leaving the outdoor map.
    With Tiaga: "since he was turned undead", not sure, but doesn't sound right, "turned into an undead" maybe.
    When Tiaga is talking about placing the orbs, there are several references to the king with different capitalization.
    Rule of threes is inconsistently capitalized. When asking about Darwinia its lower case, but when asking about why everyone recognized me in Darwinia, it is.
    "Opening portals is a lot easier in the city of doors". Normally, city of doors is capitalized.
    Press f to go to next map when leaving after Tiaga.
    If you defeat the spiders who spawn, the eggs are still there and interactable, and give the same conversation. They should no longer be interactable.
    In front of the portcullis to the northern orb, the torch is floating in midair.
    After defeating the king, "press f to go to next map".
    "Which means he will need you, all the more". Extraneous comma.

The difficulty in this one is highly ramped up from previous ones. I died 7 times after not dying at all previously and being within a level or two of when I started. The bandit leader (the merchant's husband sidequest) killed me twice, both times within seconds (level 37 solo TR), and the spiders from the eggs also killed me twice (though the pc is warned, spiders are stacked and one spider encounter can be tough for me TR). Collecting the orbs I felt was tedious as the environment didn't really vary. I don't mind running around collecting things, but like more variety if I have to do it. Never found out what the dwarven hammer was for. When fighting the king, one of the phases uses a screen shaking effect until he dies, hated that (especially when he killed me and the effect remained as I respawn and run back to him). Oddly I have screen shake turned off in my game preferences, but still got the shake.

The collection of the orbs kind of breaks up the flow of the story progression. You spend significantly longer doing that than any other part of the quest, and also longer than any other section in the previous chapters, before getting more story. Because of this, I felt this was the weakest of the chapters I've played.

Had already tipped you for the previous chapter, so I couldn't tip again.
    edited May 2013
    "press f to go to next map" when leaving the PE
    "you pick up the Missing portal orb", capitalization.
    Press f to go to next map when leaving the outdoor map.
    With Tiaga: "since he was turned undead", not sure, but doesn't sound right, "turned into an undead" maybe.
    When Tiaga is talking about placing the orbs, there are several references to the king with different capitalization.
    Rule of threes is inconsistently capitalized. When asking about Darwinia its lower case, but when asking about why everyone recognized me in Darwinia, it is.
    "Opening portals is a lot easier in the city of doors". Normally, city of doors is capitalized.
    Press f to go to next map when leaving after Tiaga.
    If you defeat the spiders who spawn, the eggs are still there and interactable, and give the same conversation. They should no longer be interactable.
    In front of the portcullis to the northern orb, the torch is floating in midair.
    After defeating the king, "press f to go to next map".
    "Which means he will need you, all the more". Extraneous comma.

The difficulty in this one is highly ramped up from previous ones. I died 7 times after not dying at all previously and being within a level or two of when I started. The bandit leader (the merchant's husband sidequest) killed me twice, both times within seconds (level 37 solo TR), and the spiders from the eggs also killed me twice (though the pc is warned, spiders are stacked and one spider encounter can be tough for me TR). Collecting the orbs I felt was tedious as the environment didn't really vary. I don't mind running around collecting things, but like more variety if I have to do it. Never found out what the dwarven hammer was for. When fighting the king, one of the phases uses a screen shaking effect until he dies, hated that (especially when he killed me and the effect remained as I respawn and run back to him). Oddly I have screen shake turned off in my game preferences, but still got the shake.

The collection of the orbs kind of breaks up the flow of the story progression. You spend significantly longer doing that than any other part of the quest, and also longer than any other section in the previous chapters, before getting more story. Because of this, I felt this was the weakest of the chapters I've played.

Had already tipped you for the previous chapter, so I couldn't tip again.

Thank you for the feedback! The hammer is a bit of a puzzle quest that if the player finishes it, it gives them a clue to the next campaign.
    8IxArUQf.jpg